Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Steve Jobs

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 09:10 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Steve Jobs

ThunderbirdJunkie wishes he had that much free time. He'd have better things to do, though, than go protest somebody that doesn't hate people.

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

Ok as bad as I was I didn't drop to the level these guys are planning on
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/10...uneral_picket/

BTW I'm pretty sure that is on topic
ThunderbirdJunkie wants to protest at some WBC peoples' funerals. Oh, the ironing!

(Now, that's OFF TOPIC)
Old 10-06-2011, 09:24 PM
splcrazy

ORIGINAL: mrld

IMHO this entire thread should be deleted...As great a man as Steve Jobs was ormay have been, he had NOTHING to to with r/c.
R/C was truly invented in 1895 by Nikola Tesla. Who BTW in 1944 after his death the US Supreme Court acknowleged him to be the true inventor of radio, not Marconi.

http://www.pbs.org/tesla/ins/lab_remotec.html
lol read the section your in dude , this is an OFF TOPIC FORUM for the users who's into rc's every section has its own off topic section to talk about anything other than rc's .
Old 10-06-2011, 09:30 PM
splcrazy

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

How is Steve Jobs' life and legacy not on topic?

He was an innovative businessman. Technology, not so much, since there were MP3 players before the iPod, PCs before the Apple IIE, and smartphones before the iPhone. The company Apple innovated within areas that already existed, but after touchscreens became commonplace in smartphones, after GUIs were invented, and after MP3 players had a graphic interface, too.
i like the sony walkman touchscreen , but as sony is lazy and useless with selling and getting thier products known they are slowly dying i think anyways , since im in australia its absolute impossible to get the sonywalkman x series touch screen which is a better unit since it doesnt deal with the an itunes based program .
Old 10-06-2011, 11:24 PM
mechanizeddeath

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While I'm no fan of current or recent Apple products, I was a big fan of their earlier machines, and at one time I owned several secondhand Macs and other Apple products.

Now that that's out of the way, I am sad we lost a visionary of the industry. As some have pointed out, he didn't really invent anything, but instead created products based upon existing ideas and technology that really resonated with people. And that, my friends, is where he was truly remarkable. Even my 75 year old great aunt has an iPod!

Whether or not you agree with the man or his company, someone of great value was lost yesterday. Of that there can be no doubt.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:40 PM
TheKennyKiller
Banned

Old 10-07-2011, 03:05 AM
guinnb
My Feedback: (2)

Now that this thread is back on subject...Thought some may like a little inside Apple history.....

One of my favorite Steve Jobs stories (told to me as a new hire) happened just before I went to work for Apple. There was a power struggle going on between John Sculley (who was CEO of Apple when I worked there) and Steve Jobs. Steve Jobs was known for "terrorizing" people all over the company. Kept everyone on edge. One day this was exhibited at an investment bankers meeting where several east coast banking execs came to Apple to hold talks on helping Apple grow. Now to fully understand what happened you need to understand Apple's culture. Dress and work at Apple is/was very relaxed. In fact when I showed up for my interview in a suit and tie both my tie and coat were promptly removed at the "threat" of being cut with scissors

Now imagine a conference room full of east coast bankers dressed to the "nines". Apple representatives were told to dress appropriately for this meeting. Well the meeting has just started and Steve Jobs is late. Out in the hall comes a loud roar...Steve road his motorcycle into the building and parked it right outside the conference room. In he comes in his leather gear and sits down for the meeting. That was supposedly the last straw for John Sculley and the rest is history...the biggest firing and worst business decision ever. Apple was very fortunate when Steve came back in 1997.

R.I.P. Steve Jobs
Old 10-07-2011, 03:20 AM
TheKennyKiller
Banned

ORIGINAL: guinnb

Now that this thread is back on subject...Thought some may like a little inside Apple history.....

One of my favorite Steve Jobs stories (told to me as a new hire) happened just before I went to work for Apple. There was a power struggle going on between John Sculley (who was CEO of Apple when I worked there) and Steve Jobs. Steve Jobs was known for ''terrorizing'' people all over the company. Kept everyone on edge. One day this was exhibited at an investment bankers meeting where several east coast banking execs came to Apple to hold talks on helping Apple grow. Now to fully understand what happened you need to understand Apple's culture. Dress and work at Apple is/was very relaxed. In fact when I showed up for my interview in a suit and tie both my tie and coat were promptly removed at the ''threat'' of being cut with scissors

Now imagine a conference room full of east coast bankers dressed to the ''nines''. Apple representatives were told to dress appropriately for this meeting. Well the meeting has just started and Steve Jobs is late. Out in the hall comes a loud roar...Steve road his motorcycle into the building and parked it right outside the conference room. In he comes in his leather gear and sits down for the meeting. That was supposedly the last straw for John Sculley and the rest is history...the biggest firing and worst business decision ever. Apple was very fortunate when Steve came back in 1997.

R.I.P. Steve Jobs
Sounds as though he liked to ruffle feathers and go against the grain but he had his heart in the right place... my kind of guy
Old 10-07-2011, 05:19 AM
proanti1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: TheKennyKiller

ORIGINAL: guinnb

One of my favorite Steve Jobs stories (told to me as a new hire) happened just before I went to work for Apple. There was a power struggle going on between John Sculley (who was CEO of Apple when I worked there) and Steve Jobs. Steve Jobs was known for ''terrorizing'' people all over the company. Kept everyone on edge. One day this was exhibited at an investment bankers meeting where several east coast banking execs came to Apple to hold talks on helping Apple grow. Now to fully understand what happened you need to understand Apple's culture. Dress and work at Apple is/was very relaxed. In fact when I showed up for my interview in a suit and tie both my tie and coat were promptly removed at the ''threat'' of being cut with scissors

Now imagine a conference room full of east coast bankers dressed to the ''nines''. Apple representatives were told to dress appropriately for this meeting. Well the meeting has just started and Steve Jobs is late. Out in the hall comes a loud roar...Steve road his motorcycle into the building and parked it right outside the conference room. In he comes in his leather gear and sits down for the meeting. That was supposedly the last straw for John Sculley and the rest is history...the biggest firing and worst business decision ever. Apple was very fortunate when Steve came back in 1997.

R.I.P. Steve Jobs
Sounds as though he liked to ruffle feathers and go against the grain but he had his heart in the right place... my kind of guy
Then when he came back, he protested that he be assigned employee number 0. The board of directors insisted that employees have numbers that reflect the order in which they joined the company, Steve Wozniak was employee 1, Jobs wanted something that came before it.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:19 AM
jkr_1100
My Feedback: (15)

I have a Steve Jobs quote. "if you can cut down the boot time of this computer by five seconds and we sell a million of these, you will have saved a human life" this was recounted by one of his employees that was developing one of the earlier systems. the idea was that Jobs was amazing in the way he was able to motivate people.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:21 AM
blw

Then, there is what he did to turn Pixar around too.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:38 AM
Upnet
My Feedback: (8)

I always wondered what might have been if he was into RC. Especially with regard to the switch to 2.4 Ghz.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:33 AM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Too bad he wasn't into R/C airplanes, or something R/C. Imagine what he could have done to improve R/C. To say the least, he could have created an app so the we can fly our r/c planes from an I-pad or I-phone. I'm sure he could have done a lot more because he is a visionary!
Old 10-07-2011, 09:59 AM
blueapplepaste
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

Ok as bad as I was I didn't drop to the level these guys are planning on
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/10...uneral_picket/

BTW I'm pretty sure that is on topic
The ironic thing was that they announced this on Twitter using "Twitter for iPhone". What a bunch of hypocritical idiots!!

REgardless of your views on Apple, Jobs was a brilliant man. Apple revolutionized computers, their access, the internet, and the way we interact with technology (iphone, ipad, etc). He was to computers what Henry Ford was to cars. Definitely one of the greatest of all time.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:45 AM
HJJFFFAA

Henry Ford didn't revolutionize anything but business. He figured out ways to make more cars faster, better, and cheaper to turn a profit while still going for volume.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:50 AM
cheezer1222

ORIGINAL: Airplanes400

Too bad he wasn't into R/C airplanes, or something R/C. Imagine what he could have done to improve R/C. To say the least, he could have created an app so the we can fly our r/c planes from an I-pad or I-phone. I'm sure he could have done a lot more because he is a visionary!
R/C is expensive enough without apple products. I'm sure there would have been some "interesting" changes to current RC equipment if Jobs had taken an interest in R/C, but I'm more than happy to leave that in the realm of "What If?"
Old 10-07-2011, 11:08 AM
proanti1

ORIGINAL: HJJFFFAA

Henry Ford didn't revolutionize anything but business. He figured out ways to make more cars faster, better, and cheaper to turn a profit while still going for volume.
Dude, yeah... he did.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:08 PM
FreakyDude

Wow to hear everybody talk Steve Jobs was the only one responsible for the success of Apple. 
I am pretty sure Jobs gave the direction and the minions did the work. 
As much as folks want to fawn all over his passing I digress back to the local volunteer at the shelter, The Trooper standing on the wall in Afghanistan or the cop that was shot because he pulled someone over for speeding.
Steve Jobs may have been a great CEO and person but what he did in his lifetime was always centered on making money and growing Apple into a great company. These were not selfless acts done to move humanity forward.

You want a hero, go talk to the Mother of the newest name on your State's/Province's Cenotaph for Police, Firefighters and Armed Forces.
What Steve Jobs did isn't even close to the sacrifice of these people and their families.
If that ain't enough go to your local children's hospital and see real courage. Facing cancer at 56 is tough but at 5 to 10 years old it is plain nasty. 

Old 10-07-2011, 01:22 PM
The Hedgehog

You're trying too hard, bro.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:32 PM
DeferredDefect

Rest in peace, Mr. Jobs!
I've always been a huge supporter of Apple products, partially because of their beautiful appearance, partially because of their abilities, and mostly because of the incredible reliability I have had with them because of their quality. Without a doubt, Apple has been a trend setter, with the iPod, iMac, iPhone and iPad. All of these have changed the way we use electronics today.  Hopefully he will be remembered for leading this work and making computers what they have become.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:22 PM
Link119
My Feedback: (1)

Now apple is out jobs....
But seriously, he was a genius. Only he was smart enough to invent all of the gadgets which simplify life a lot.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:19 PM
jessiej

ORIGINAL: FreakyDude

Wow to hear everybody talk Steve Jobs was the only one responsible for the success of Apple.
I am pretty sure Jobs gave the direction and the minions did the work.
As much as folks want to fawn all over his passing I digress back to the local volunteer at the shelter, The Trooper standing on the wall in Afghanistan or the cop that was shot because he pulled someone over for speeding.
Steve Jobs may have been a great CEO and person but what he did in his lifetime was always centered on making money and growing Apple into a great company. These were not selfless acts done to move humanity forward.

You want a hero, go talk to the Mother of the newest name on your State's/Province's Cenotaph for Police, Firefighters and Armed Forces.
What Steve Jobs did isn't even close to the sacrifice of these people and their families.
If that ain't enough go to your local children's hospital and see real courage. Facing cancer at 56 is tough but at 5 to 10 years old it is plain nasty.

Better yet go to a military hospital and visit with the patents. Talk is cheap.
I spent over a year in a military hospital due to wounds and have a great respect for all of those there.

I also have a great respect for the people in industry who made it possiblefor me to have a job after I was released from the hospital.

I was hired by a Korean War vet who spent ther remainder of his life making money and growing a great company. Thanks to him I and several thousand other people were able to have good jobs. Some of us even made a lot of money, sent kids to college and donate th children's hospitals every year.

Jess
Old 10-07-2011, 07:53 PM
Dirty_Vinylpusher

[&:]

I can't believe all the crap that's been posted in this thread - most of which I apparently missed as it got moderated before I got here.
What the hell is everyone's problem?

What Steve Jobs, and of course his associates, did within the Apple corporation is nothing short of amazing.
We all take these things for granted nowadays, things like iPods, iPhones etc.
Had it not been for him (and his partners in Apple) we may well have had something else, similar, or completely different, but how many people do you know that DON'T have an apple product?

He was a visionary and a creator of great things.
And a multi millionaire long before the majority of the posters here even knew how to use a keyboard.

How many of you were around before personal computers were something that everyone owned?
Do you remember when all you had was a black screen with white (or even green) text.
MS DOS anyone?
No mouse?

In the 80's my dad worked for IBM, and back then a room full of computers couldn't do anywhere near what your average non-smartphone can do these days.
256MB was pretty much the largest storage one could have on a disk, and that disk was huge.

Anyway.

I'm not gonna claim that he was a hero, or single handedly responsible for everything Apple did.
Hell, they stole the idea for the iPod click/scroll wheel from some technology convention one of Apple's "spies" went to.
But it was Steve's idea to create a music player that could access any track or album with no more than 3 clicks.
And he did it.

Respect to the man and enough with the bickering already.

Old 10-08-2011, 02:45 AM
SigMan
My Feedback: (21)

maybe he shouldnt haven taken that bite out of the apple ?
Old 10-08-2011, 07:20 AM
rcslsafut

THIS IS HOW I FEEL ABOUT STEVE JOBS ....... AND BILL GATES !!!!! watch the movie titled "pirates of silicon valley " if you want to see where i am coming from !!
Old 10-08-2011, 08:32 AM
TheKennyKiller
Banned

ORIGINAL: rcslsafut

THIS IS HOW I FEEL ABOUT STEVE JOBS ....... AND BILL GATES !!!!! watch the movie titled ''pirates of silicon valley '' if you want to see where i am coming from !!
I went to youtube to look at a trailer and found the whole movie. Going to watch it now.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWyLOKjlAKA[/youtube]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.