Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Quick car question

Old 12-09-2011, 07:10 AM
cumminspower5.9
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick car question

Is there any reason why my car uses more fuel during the cold winter months compared to the spring/summer? I have noticed the RPM's run a little higher but not high enough to where it should guzzle gas.If it helps I drive a 2001 Hyundai Accent 1.6L with 108,000 miles on it. I keep my tires inflated 2 psi below max, do routine maintainence, I have a K&N filter and Bosch platinum +2 spark plugs. With the upgrades and amount of miles on it, i should be getting between 36-38 mpg. it's frustrating watching the gas guage go down on the way to work.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:23 AM
sheograth

Default RE: Quick car question

Does it happen every year?
Old 12-09-2011, 07:25 AM
The Hedgehog

ORIGINAL: cumminspower5.9

Is there any reason why my car uses more fuel during the cold winter months compared to the spring/summer? I have noticed the RPM's run a little higher but not high enough to where it should guzzle gas.If it helps I drive a 2001 Hyundai Accent 1.6L with 108,000 miles on it. I keep my tires inflated 2 psi below max, do routine maintainence, I have a K&N filter and Bosch platinum +2 spark plugs. With the upgrades and amount of miles on it, i should be getting between 36-38 mpg. it's frustrating watching the gas guage go down on the way to work.

You keep your tires 2 psi below max tire pressure? That means 2 psi below bursting?? uh oh

Also you shouldn't use platinum spark plugs on that engine, the engine was not designed for them. With that care and age, I would expect it to be around 28-30 mpg.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:39 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

It's always a good idea to inflate the tires a little bit over the recommended max pressure. The harder the tires, the easier they roll. Tires take about 140psi before they explode, so dont worry about that. Remember, for every 10 degree drop in temperature, tires lose about 2psi.

Are you letting your car warm up before driving it? Engines burn a bit more fuel when cold, and they take a little longer to get up to operating temperature in the winter.

You may want to take the K&N filter off and replace it with the stock filter box, just to see what happens. There is really no reason for an aftermarket filter on a Hyundai Accent.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:47 AM
sheograth

Yeah the engine might be breathing too much.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:57 AM
HJJFFFAA

The fuel mixture used by gas stations changes in the winter to one with more ethanol to prevent freezing.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:04 AM
DaveG55

Theoretically, the difference between cold and warm ambiant temp MPG should be minimal. Certainly nothing you should be able to "see" while driving. Your engine and it's operating parameters are controled by the engine computer. It takes into account many, many factors including ambiant temps, air intake temps, engine operating temps, exhaust content, throttle position, etc, etc, etc... It then adjusts to keep the engine operating within a preset group of parameters.
Anytime you change anything on the engine the computer tries to compensate for those changes. That can often result in adverse effects on performance.
I would suggest three things.
First, get rid of that POS CAI! You do know that those things are crap for actually filtering out dust/junk, right??? They get that improved air flow by reducing the actual filter material.
Second, change back to the factory reccomended spark plugs.
Third, Have the car read for any stored codes. It's possable that there are stored codes in the computer. Remember, not all codes will illuminate the CEL

And finally, on the tire air pressure issue, Inflate your tires to the reccomended pressure as listed on the door sticker. You may want to bump that up by a couple psi BUT to inflate tires to 2 psi under their max rating is just plain dumb and, in fact, dangerous! You are risking losing control from a loss of traction and causing uneven and unnecessary wear on the tires and shortrning their live span.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:07 AM
Foxy

A combination of all these plus the fact that cold air is denser and therefore more fuel is used. The car should feel more powerful when it's cold outside as well as opposed to when it is warm.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:51 AM
cumminspower5.9

well to answer most everyone as of now starting from the top.
-yes, sheo, this does happen every winter. 
-hedgehog, 2 psi below max doesn't mean it's going to blow out the tire. max is just max recommended psi, ive seen tires go above that for years.
-proanti and dave, i had only replaced the paper filter with the K&N. i don't have the actual cold air intake on this car. i know it would be pointless. i let the car warm up every morning.

i drive like an old man as well because i know it uses more fuel. plus why not get the most out of the expensive liquid. i try not to let the engine get above 3200 rpm.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:57 AM
Foxy

You should take it for a vigorous spin every now and then or it'll coke up and that will also affect your consumption.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:08 AM
cumminspower5.9

ORIGINAL: Foxy

You should take it for a vigorous spin every now and then or it'll coke up and that will also affect your consumption.
Oh believe me, it gets woken up when i stomp on the gas after following a car doing 40 in a 55mph construction zone for 8 miles. i see what ur saying though. to "clean it out" per say from deposits and build up.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:20 AM
Foxy

Yeh. As I say, I think your increased fuel consumption is a normal side effect of the transition to winter caused by a variety of contributing factors, the biggest of which are probably any additional ethanol in the fuel (if that's the case) and the increased air density requiring the ECU to increase fuel delivery to compensate. By what percentage are we talking here? 5%? 10? More? If it's more, I would start to wonder, otherwise not really.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:28 AM
cumminspower5.9

Yeh. As I say, I think your increased fuel consumption is a normal side effect of the transition to winter caused by a variety of contributing factors, the biggest of which are probably any additional ethanol in the fuel (if that's the case) and the increased air density requiring the ECU to increase fuel delivery to compensate. By what percentage are we talking here? 5%? 10? More? If it's more, I would start to wonder, otherwise not really.
Well, i filled up my tank. drove home from work (25 miles) drove to my moms (+12 miles), then to my father in laws (+2 miles) then home (+14 miles)= then got the wife from work (+- 12 miles both ways) to work this morning (+25 miles) thats 90 miles and i have just above a half tank left after filling it. i dont remember the size of the tank, little over 9 i think?
Old 12-09-2011, 09:49 AM
The Hedgehog

-hedgehog, 2 psi below max doesn't mean it's going to blow out the tire. max is just max recommended psi, ive seen tires go above that for years.
-proanti and dave, i had only replaced the paper filter with the K&N. i don't have the actual cold air intake on this car. i know it would be pointless. i let the car warm up every morning.

i drive like an old man as well because i know it uses more fuel. plus why not get the most out of the expensive liquid. i try not to let the engine get above 3200 rpm.

Max recommended tire pressure is different than max tire pressure. You never clarified which.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:56 AM
cumminspower5.9

ORIGINAL: The Hedgehog

i drive like an old man as well because i know it uses more fuel. plus why not get the most out of the expensive liquid.i try not to let the engine get above 3200 rpm.

Max recommended tire pressure is different than max tire pressure. You never clarified which.
ok. the tires are set at 2psi below what the sidewall reads.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:22 AM
FahrtAutoRC

Most modern cars have a sort of automatic "choke" that will make them idle higher at cold engine temperatures to get them warmed up and all fluids flowing properly, also running your heat, letting your car warm up, etc etc can ramp up your fuel usage.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:48 PM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: The Hedgehog

i drive like an old man as well because i know it uses more fuel. plus why not get the most out of the expensive liquid. i try not to let the engine get above 3200 rpm.

ok. the tires are set at 2psi below what the sidewall reads.
Why are they set below? I dont understand that. There is absolutely ZERO benefit to running tires below their intended pressure. Besides, you do not go off what the sidewall says, you read the decal in the door jam, which gives a specific pressure for each side of the car.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:10 PM
iexion

A combination of all these plus the fact that cold air is denser and therefore more fuel is used. The car should feel more powerful when it's cold outside as well as opposed to when it is warm.
I'll 2nd that. When I leave at 5am its about 10 degrees and you can feel and hear a difference with in power. Its a double edge sword because most of the times their is still ice on the roads [:@]
Old 12-09-2011, 04:26 PM
DanMN

Being I have lived in MN most of my life, I can tell you that your fuel consumption will fall during the winter. Not sure why, I just know that all cars and trucks get worse mileage when it is colder. Alot of people let their cars warm up before they drive them, this wastes gas also. It is just a fact. I find this to happen when temps are lower than 40 degrees Faren. I have asked mechanics if there is anything you can do, and they say to fill my tank more often and smile......
Old 12-09-2011, 06:18 PM
jcoop65

loose the k&n, while it increases air flow it also increases fuel dilivery as well. More air more fuel. Not more air less fuel.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:40 AM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: DanMN

Being I have lived in MN most of my life, I can tell you that your fuel consumption will fall during the winter. Not sure why, I just know that all cars and trucks get worse mileage when it is colder. Alot of people let their cars warm up before they drive them, this wastes gas also. It is just a fact. I find this to happen when temps are lower than 40 degrees Faren. I have asked mechanics if there is anything you can do, and they say to fill my tank more often and smile......
If I don't warm up my car before I drive it, I will damage it. The S2000 is a slightly special case, not warming up before running is the prime cause of premature cylinder bore wear and valve seal damage, the s2k has a very hi-tech engine with tiny tolerances and high compression, but it's worth doing on all cars. People should warm engines up, in any temperature, even in the height of summer. Doesn't have to be long, just 30 seconds at idle, your engine will thank you for it, whether you drive a hi-tech naturally aspirated hi-revver to a 1 liter diesel, it's always worth doing. I would guess that the extra cost in fuel to idle for 30 seconds is something that people would bear compared to the cost in wear on parts for the first 2 miles of your journey, but of course this is individual choice. I shudder when I hear engines get started and gunned straight away, you can almost hear the engine starving for its oil which is still cold and hasn't begun circulating yet. []
Old 12-11-2011, 08:31 AM
The_Shark

SIMPLE.

1- your car must consume more gas to obtain the stoichiometric balance, air is denser, so fuel must be added because of this.

2-during the winter the gas companys use a different fuel blend, in order to maintain pollution levels, fuel economy ususually goes down.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:51 PM
DaveG55

I've read and contributed to this thread and upon rereading it I'm struck by one thing. Foxy did touch on it but we never realy got a good answer.
What we don't know is what MPG numbers we are looking at. To give anykind of accurate help we NEED to know wht the actual (not hoped for) MPG was during the warm months. AND we NEED to know an exact numnber that the car is getting NOW!
If he was really getting the 36-38MPG stated in the first post and is now getting 20 MPG (90miles/4.5 gal) as stated in post #13 then that is a 45%-48% drop. There's no way that a change in atmospheric density and fuel formulation should result in that large a drop in fuel economy.

But, again, we don't have ANYTHING that is a solid number,either before or now, so there's NO WAY to say if this is a normal seasonal thing or a more serious issue.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:02 AM
cumminspower5.9

ORIGINAL: DaveG55

I've read and contributed to this thread and upon rereading it I'm struck by one thing. Foxy did touch on it but we never realy got a good answer.
What we don't know is what MPG numbers we are looking at. To give anykind of accurate help we NEED to know wht the actual (not hoped for) MPG was during the warm months. AND we NEED to know an exact numnber that the car is getting NOW!
If he was really getting the 36-38MPG stated in the first post and is now getting 20 MPG (90miles/4.5 gal) as stated in post #13 then that is a 45%-48% drop. There's no way that a change in atmospheric density and fuel formulation should result in that large a drop in fuel economy.

But, again, we don't have ANYTHING that is a solid number,either before or now, so there's NO WAY to say if this is a normal seasonal thing or a more serious issue.
Manufacturers mpg was supposed to be 36 mpg. During the summer warm months i get pretty close to that cause i can go 5 days, 5 anda half at best on a tank of gas. now that its cold out im lucky if i can get 4 and a half days off one tank. i usually just get 4 days.i've never calculated the mpg, but im guessing i am getting 30 at best when it's cold.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:34 AM
HJJFFFAA

That appears consistent with the change in ethanol content of gasoline in winter.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.