Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Word of Warning about Hard Drives

Old 07-04-2012, 05:14 AM
GerKonig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Word of Warning about Hard Drives

ORIGINAL: 757jonp

If you want to hack into my hard drive for my account information have at it. I think I left 27 cents in one of them, yur welcome to it if you can find it.

Millions of people do their taxes on line. Or, they use software to do their taxes. On those forms there is a lot of important information. But, when the time comes, they dump the old computer and move n to a new one.

Because of the nature of my job I handle data that can be confidential, classified, or secret, so I run no risks. always worked with blunt force on my HDDs once they were upgraded. In 2 cases along the years, I had a HDD failure, and the units were under warranty. To use the warranty you have to return the defective unit. Something I could no do. Oh well, it happens.

I was told that the software that gives good results is one that writes 1 and 0 all over the HDD deletes, re-writes, etc. But it takes over one day to run. My hammer is much quicker...

Gerry
PS: Yes, the hammer thing is addictive too....
Old 07-04-2012, 06:46 AM
The_Shark

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: GerKonig

If you want to hack into my hard drive for my account information have at it. I think I left 27 cents in one of them, yur welcome to it if you can find it.

Millions of people do their taxes on line. Or, they use software to do their taxes. On those forms there is a lot of important information. But, when the time comes, they dump the old computer and move n to a new one.

Because of the nature of my job I handle data that can be confidential, classified, or secret, so I run no risks. always worked with blunt force on my HDDs once they were upgraded. In 2 cases along the years, I had a HDD failure, and the units were under warranty. To use the warranty you have to return the defective unit. Something I could no do. Oh well, it happens.

I was told that the software that gives good results is one that writes 1 and 0 all over the HDD deletes, re-writes, etc. But it takes over one day to run. My hammer is much quicker...

Gerry
makes you feel like this guy.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43031.jpeg
Views:	14
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	1778464  
Old 07-04-2012, 06:50 AM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

ORIGINAL: GerKonig

Gerry
makes you feel like this guy.

I have to get me one of those Thor hammers! I use a garden-variety carpenter hammer... I need something bigger... Well, maybe not. I am using a lot the 1Tb external drives. Memory has gotten cheaper and cheaper, I love it!

Gerry
Old 07-04-2012, 01:19 PM
DESERT RATT
My Feedback: (7)

Please delete, I double posted. Sorry
Old 07-04-2012, 01:23 PM
DESERT RATT
My Feedback: (7)

Yes look for encryption but also look for a "S" at the end of the Http in the web address that means they have a secure site, but still some one has to read you card account numbers.
ORIGINAL: sjpateys

fair comment, but when you order online do you not always check that the site is using encryption for your card info. I'm no expert but I thought that prevented most fraud
Old 07-04-2012, 01:51 PM
sjpateys

yes you get a padlock symbol as well
Old 07-25-2012, 04:19 PM
-SomeGuy-

Maybe someone can help me out with this. I just got a 1tb hdd that someone left behind, i used the bridge from my 2 tb that just crashed recently to hook it up to my laptop with a usb and it works fine, looks like it was an internal hdd with an os on it. I tried to format it but couldn't because the files are are read only/write protected.

Now I'm assuming that the best thing would to wipe it and then format it but what do you guys suggest. I took a look at DBAN but it says it will wipe any and all drives detected and thats not what I'm looking for. Whats the easiest way to go about this so I can put it in the casing from the 2tb and use it as an external?
Old 07-25-2012, 05:06 PM
DarkFire989

Use the Disk management tool that comes with windows. That should allow you to wipe it.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:29 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

go into disk management, and delete the partitions on the drive, and repartition it.

and if that don't work look for a low level format utility from the manufacturer of the drive
Old 07-25-2012, 07:28 PM
-SomeGuy-

That worked perfectly! Thanks guys.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:53 PM
dimzin

I'll usually keep mine running till there's no hope of them coming back to life then a few plunges w/the drill press and I'm confident enough to just toss em out. If someone REALLLLY needs/wants my data bad enough to successfully recover it after that then the worlds reallllly in some bad shape and identity theft is going to be the least of my worries.
-D-

Old 12-20-2012, 06:13 AM
ElectricGuy007

ORIGINAL: DarkFire989

I recover hard drives as part of my job.

I am sure some of you know this and others do not. But if you ever recycle your old computers or donate them, PLEASE tear out the hard drives and keep them in storage or physically destroy them. Smaller pieces the better.

Because when you delete files or format your drive, they aren't really gone until you write over those sectors on your hard drive. If I bought a used computer / hard drive on eBay or somewhere, I would put money I would be able to recover most of the data on those drives which probably have very important information that the seller had no idea was still on the drive.

So if you are going to get rid of old electronics, rip out the drives and destroy them, keep them in storage, or if you must get rid of them, get software that will wipe every hard drive sector by writing over it.

In the end, who really wants their important data stolen? Not I....
I usually destory old harddrives for this reason.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:14 AM
Haddi Taha

My father destroyed my old hard drive yesterday since it doesn't work, he works in IT