Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Upgrade to SSD now!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 08:03 AM
samguan

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Upgrade to SSD now!

Don't bother with the regular hard drives anymore. Use them for storing larger files. I installed a Samsung SSD drive onto my laptop yesterday and this thing flies now.

From button press to desktop takes about 16 seconds. Programs start almost instantly. Best upgrade you can do to upgrade your slow PC. Regular hard drives have always been the bottleneck.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:10 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Upgrade to SSD now!

About a year ahead of you. My system reads 992MB a second.

Its a curse though. Now when I use other PCs they are like dinosaurs. Also, you know those interesting facts a lot of games feed you during loading screens? I don't get to read them anymore. Loading screens are like camera flashes. Windows 7 boots in about 9 seconds.

This was my system prior to overclocking, about a year ago, maybe more.

I'm running 2 120GB Agility 3s in RAID 10. Double capacity, double speed, NO REDUNDANCE!! [X(] (no problems either )
Old 09-09-2012, 10:28 AM
samguan

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

hi Foxy, that's nice! the only thing that prevented me from buying SSD is the price, I think it has gone down to an acceptable level that mass majority will be considering to upgrade.

People are so into picking the fastest processor, more cores and things like that and they overlook other components like the hard drive and graphics card. Anyways, I'm glad with this upgrade.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:50 PM
narwalrus
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually the best thing you can do to upgrade a slow PC is to switch to Puppy Linux, which is free. It can load the entire operating system into I believe 256mb of RAM, so that the speed of loading applications is limited more to the speed of the render than the speed of the load.

On a computer with 6GB of RAM and a Gaming GFX card, programs seem to open before you even finish clicking on them.

And you can try it out by simply burning it to a CD/DVD and booting into it. You can install from there too if you wish.

[/propaganda]
Old 09-09-2012, 09:05 PM
DarkFire989

Problem with putting SSDs into RAID is the lack of TRIM.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:40 AM
Foxy

If you want stability in SSD raid configurations there are some tricks you need to do in windows. Basically, all the problems you hear about SSD reliability are because people didn't pay enough attention to the changes that need to be made in windows. Disabling indexing and auto-defrag being the most important, they will kill a raid config (and even a standalone disk) fast.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:28 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

windows is always fast once you do a fresh install
When I first installed windows 7 on my PC with my 300gig Barracuda boot time was like 15-20 seconds
after a year or so its now about 30-40 or so secs
IMO 20 or so seconds is not worth the added cost, but that is just me
On the other hand I've been thinking of getting another 2-3TB hard drive for backup and storage, as they work out to be cheaper, faster, less prone to damage, and take up less room than DVD-R's

I will agree you don't want a huge drive as your boot though
Old 09-11-2012, 06:20 AM
Foxy

The speed of windows boot isn't the point, not least of all because the drivers that make the drives perform full speed aren't even loaded until windows has almost finished booting.

With SSD, windows boot speed never does degrade much. A year down the line I still boot in 11 seconds. Anyway, like I say, the advantage of ssd is not in the windows boot speed. The advantage is in everyday use and the difference is not just night and day, it's a bermudan dawn compared to the coldest darkest alaskan night. Really, you need to try it. It is not a piffling performance increase, it's a toy grade knight rider to a 6S racing truggy, it is the single biggest performance increase you can give your PC, ten times, maybe twenty times the difference of upgrading to the fastest processor and ram that money can buy and using a 10,000rpm HDD. You cannot appreciate it until you've seen it, particularly if you chain 2 together the way I have.

Another example, once in windows, in other words after putting my password in and pressing enter, it's less than a second for all my tray icons to start, all my desktop icons to settle and the machine be ready to start doing something. Chrome loads the instant I lift my finger off the left click, no wait at all, it must be measured in single digit miliseconds. Photoshop starts in less than a second (but is one of the longest load times I see, at around half a second). Game loading screens become camera flashes, even a skyrim change of location is done in 3 seconds. 1GB files are copied and pasted in less than a second (at least on my setup, some people it takes 2 or 3 seconds. lol). Am I getting through?
Old 09-11-2012, 08:02 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: Foxy

The speed of windows boot isn't the point, not least of all because the drivers that make the drives perform full speed aren't even loaded until windows has almost finished booting.

With SSD, windows boot speed never does degrade much. A year down the line I still boot in 11 seconds. Anyway, like I say, the advantage of ssd is not in the windows boot speed. The advantage is in everyday use and the difference is not just night and day, it's a bermudan dawn compared to the coldest darkest alaskan night. Really, you need to try it. It is not a piffling performance increase, it's a toy grade knight rider to a 6S racing truggy, it is the single biggest performance increase you can give your PC, ten times, maybe twenty times the difference of upgrading to the fastest processor and ram that money can buy and using a 10,000rpm HDD. You cannot appreciate it until you've seen it, particularly if you chain 2 together the way I have.

Another example, once in windows, in other words after putting my password in and pressing enter, it's less than a second for all my tray icons to start, all my desktop icons to settle and the machine be ready to start doing something. Chrome loads the instant I lift my finger off the left click, no wait at all, it must be measured in single digit miliseconds. Photoshop starts in less than a second (but is one of the longest load times I see, at around half a second). Game loading screens become camera flashes, even a skyrim change of location is done in 3 seconds. 1GB files are copied and pasted in less than a second (at least on my setup, some people it takes 2 or 3 seconds. lol). Am I getting through?
I know that

I will say I looked up pricing and see they did drop significantly since I last looked(last I really took a serious look at them they were 3-4X more expensive for lower capacity).
kinda torn if I should try one out seeing I've been having to reinstall windows anyways (been postponing it well over a year)
Only question would be the OCZ Vertex 4 VTX4-25SAT3 for $90 or Corsair Neutron Series CSSD-N120GB3 for $120 both are about 120gigs hmm
Old 09-11-2012, 05:35 PM
jkdv8
My Feedback: (1)

Is there a trick for installing one in a ps3? Any downside in doing so?
Old 09-11-2012, 06:59 PM
collector1231

ORIGINAL: jkdv8

Its not possible. If you can, that's awesome. Back to original post, lucky! I have a 1 TB drive (possbily some of the first made in 2007) and it is slow. I need a new computer, I plan to build one.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:32 PM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: collector1231

ORIGINAL: jkdv8

Its not possible. If you can, that's awesome. Back to original post, lucky! I have a 1 TB drive (possbily some of the first made in 2007) and it is slow. I need a new computer, I plan to build one.
Yes, it's possible. You won't see HUGE drops in loading times, because the PS3 slim has SATA1.5, which is a bottle neck... but it's definitely a noticeable difference. There are several reports of 40% drops in loading times as well as install times.

Remember, the PS3 needs to format the new drive, so you won't be able transfer your date to the new one.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:33 PM
jkdv8

Thanks for the insight proanti. Thought about it a few years back but, the prices were up there so didn't do any real research on the matter. I have the original one which I've been told that it's SATA1.0 and backing up the save data won't be an issue. Do appreciate the pointers.