Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Car Painting

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 08:33 AM
Lunchboxer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another car?! But it will be another car w/ bad paint job, yo..
Old 09-27-2013, 10:24 AM
Ttam Says Blarg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rattle can that sucker... I mean Im siding with The Shop on this one.. Why paint an old car? Especially when the paint is going to be more than the cars worth and your never going to recover the money you spent on the paint job when you go to sell it..?
Old 09-27-2013, 11:01 AM
cumminspower5.9
My Feedback: (4)

Yes the car is older, has a lot of miles, but I figured if the paint job is going oto cost over $1000. Forget it. I'll do it myself with a Wagner. It won't look professional, but it'll be better than a spray can.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:02 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

A buddy of mine got a cheap paint job a few years ago. He went to the shop that gave a cheaper estimate than Maaco. It was a blue Neon that he changed to black. He paid about $500 for the paint job, which came back with zero body work done, and was sprayed way too dry and not buffed at all. It wasn't quite a satin black, more flat than satin, but it didn't have that deep look like flat black should have. You could tell they used a paint that should have glossed up but just didn't thin it enough or put enough of it on to make it flow out. They had another car there that was ready to be picked up. It was a somewhat glossy black with really obvious chipped paint underneath. I don't even think they primered it before shooting the new paint on.

So the point being, with today's prices on paint, a cheap paint job will look like trash. And a good paint job will cost too much to make it worthwhile. Back in the day when paint jobs only lasted 5-6 years it made sense to repaint an ugly car and keep driving it, but now everything else is worn out by the time the paint starts to go. Junkyard it and put your money into something better.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:41 AM
cumminspower5.9
My Feedback: (4)

LOL this is the only car i have now jester. This baby is going to run forever!
Old 09-28-2013, 05:20 PM
lee172

Originally Posted by The Shop
Going to be well over what the car is worth, and for that $$$ you can get another car as well...
Your thought involves common sense, this is the wrong thread for that kind of nonsense.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:14 AM
Eman77

Time for a flogging, eh? Common sense will not be tolerated around here.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:07 PM
JMV563

Bed line it!!!!! Lol