Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

What happened to this place?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 01:59 AM
Andy B

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think this problem is just an RC forum problem, I've seen it in photography, woodworking and gardening forums also.

For starters people often change hobbies as they go through life, this is my third foray into RC since the mid 80's. People are what makes a forum and as strong personalities fade from the hobby so the forum looses something.

Also the hobby has changed so much, back in the day the only RTR were Radio Shack, Sears toys. Everything worth having was a kit which brought up lots of "how to" questions and advice, which electronics to add, some even came without rims, tires and bodies which brought up more posts. Now it's the reverse, pay your $400, rip it out of the box, charge the battery and you're off.

But the biggest enemy of the forum is the internet. The fact the web now has so much additional content to satisfy our questions. Just yesterday I watched a Utube how to on the use of my new Lipo charger as the "manual" was so sketchy. In the past I would have come to a forum for those answers. Truth is with one Google I can have multiple opinions, experiences or a video instantly and with no chance of being flamed.

It's a shame because the social aspect of a well run and busy forum is great especially if the hobby is not big in your location or for younger members without transportation.
I think it's just a sign of the times. Now that's just my two cents
Old 12-30-2013, 07:21 AM
Eman77

Originally Posted by Dirty_Vinylpusher
I see a few people saying that they "don't run their RCs anymore".
I don't see that as a reason for not visiting the Off-topic forum tho....

Hell, I've never even owned a factory RC, I just tinker a bit from time to time with very basic homebuilds.
And it's been a long time since I've even done that.

In the end I guess this thread is pointless, as I'm really asking the people who aren't here anymore, why they aren't....

Ah well, we had a good run.
I doubt it will ever pick up again.

still, it's a bit sad.
I'm just sad no one got my old Arby's commercial reference.

*SIGH*

Old 12-30-2013, 12:24 PM
Dirty_Vinylpusher

No idea what that is, sorry.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:46 PM
DieHarder

I've been posting stuff on the Lounge for a while now, and maybe once or twice (Literally) has anyone ever acknowledged or replied to something I've said, or asked questions about it. The Lounge is just full of stuck up rats that don't care about anything but themselves and their Tamiya's. If a stranger posts in on something someone has said, he/she gets shunned aside and left wondering why nobody cared about what they had to say. I'm tellin ya, the Lounge is NOT a nice place. I have kept posting there up until today, but my hopes are dwindling and I feel unwelcomed. My spirits have been lost for that thread, and I'm regretting being a member overall. The only place I've really felt accepted as a regular, is the Evader Coalition. Many nice fellas, and lots of good info...

There, I said it. Maybe the rest of you don't post how you really feel, but at least I'm not afraid to speak out against something I don't like or don't want to be part of. And I'm thinking of adding the Lounge to my "do not visit" list.
Originally Posted by Large Larry
sounds to me as though you have a thorn in your side because no one would talk to you in the lounge. From what I've seen in there it's a very flowing conversation type of thread, why not try join in on the conversation instead of pouting your lip over it. I'm sure that even if posts aren't responded to they are always seen and appreciated by the regulars.

I haven't been here long but this place does seem very quiet and a little too negative sometimes, but hey the world is a fairly negative place most of the time.

Last edited by DieHarder; 12-31-2013 at 08:25 PM.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:02 PM
Dirty_Vinylpusher

/\ It's a bit like that, which is why I don't bother posting there either....
Old 12-30-2013, 09:38 PM
cumquat

if your post isnt interesting, you dont get replies. simple as that. many of my posts get passed by. many others have spawned multiple page conversations. same for LB, auto, eman, tbj and lee. we have also seen several people join in and just as abrupt, they leave. some legitimately contributed and were nice to have in the thread. others frequently posted drunk/incoherently and got annoying very quick. these days i read more than post. few posts seem reply-worthy. for a while i made it a point to check in and keep the thread from going 24 hours without a post. i've even given up on that now.

as for the forum as a whole, the decline can be traced back to '08/'09 when the first issues occurred. then they continued sporadically through early 2010. now with the new format, i suspect new people will start becoming regulars.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:02 PM
mechanizeddeath

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It seems like internet forums as a whole have slowed down. I do agree, I think the quick availability of information through a Google search is partly to blame. Unless you're asking a question about something that just came out a few days ago, chances are the question was answered months or even years ago. I do know that when I got into the hobby back in 2007, nearly every search I did led me to a post here on RCU. These days, similar searches tend to lead to YouTube links and official forums. RCU posts tend to be on the 2nd or 3rd page of search results.

Then on top of that you have social networking sites, I can't tell you how often I see a friend ask a question in their Facebook status that would have probably been a forum question a few years ago. I think people are obviously more comfortable asking the people they know rather than the total strangers on a forum.

And then there's the site itself. I quit posting because I just didn't have a lot of time for the RC hobby anymore, as much as I still might enjoy it. But prior to that, I remember a lot of issues with posting. I was constantly writing my posts in Notepad because there seemed to be a 50/50 chance that whatever I'd written would disappear when I hit the "Post" button.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:12 AM
Lunchboxer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Facebook replacing RCU, yo!!
Old 12-31-2013, 07:38 AM
Large Larry

Originally Posted by DieHarder
I've been posting stuff on the Lounge for a while now, and maybe once or twice (Literally) has anyone ever acknowledged or replied to something I've said, or asked questions about it. The Lounge is just full of stuck up rats that don't care about anything but themselves and their Tamiya's. If a stranger posts in on something someone has said, he/she gets shunned aside and left wondering why nobody cared about what they had to say. I'm tellin ya, the Lounge is NOT a nice place. I have kept posting there up until today, but my hopes are dwindling and I feel unwelcomed. My spirits have been lost for that thread, and I'm regretting being a member overall. The only place I've really felt accepted as a regular, is the Evader Coalition. Many nice fellas, and lots of good info...

There, I said it. Maybe the rest of you don't post how you really feel, but at least I'm not afraid to speak out against something I don't like or don't want to be part of. And I'm thinking of adding the Lounge to my "do not visit" list.
idk, to me it's as if some of you want he red carpet laid out for you, if I wasn't happy with a thread or an entire forum I would just simply stop posting, it's not as if membership to this site costs money. It's just my opinion on the matter which is what the site is pretty much for after all, sharing opinions. If you or anyone else wants to block me for that feel free to do so.

BTW I noticed you posted in the lounge after this post and it got a reply, perhaps you spoke to soon?
Old 12-31-2013, 07:42 AM
Large Larry

Originally Posted by Lunchboxer
Facebook replacing RCU, yo!!
I prefer forums to Facebook but I understand that a lot of people are going that way these days, one thing Facebook has over the forums is that you're able to speak your mind without fear of being silenced by mods over something trivial.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:17 AM
Lunchboxer

I guess I am only speaking about the social aspect.. to look for information or RC specific knowledge, I am sure RCU is still a better venue.. !
Old 12-31-2013, 02:40 PM
DieHarder

BTW The things I posted there after the post here, never had any replies. Only my one line (The Lounge is just full of stuck up rats) was found and posted by The Shop, not me. Maybe you should thoroughly read your resources before trying to slam someone...
BTW I noticed you posted in the lounge after this post and it got a reply, perhaps you spoke to soon?

Last edited by DieHarder; 12-31-2013 at 02:50 PM.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:11 PM
cumquat

BTW The things I posted there after the post here, never had any replies. Only my one line (The Lounge is just full of stuck up rats) was found and posted by The Shop, not me. Maybe you should thoroughly read your resources before trying to slam someone...
lee replied to you...
Old 12-31-2013, 04:43 PM
Dirty_Vinylpusher

Oh no, now this thread is turning in to the lounge!

He said he did you did blah blah hahahaha
Old 12-31-2013, 05:02 PM
Large Larry

You called them all stuck up rats yet I'm the one trying to "slam" someone, get off your high horse would you. You did get a reply on your hot sauce post so it's you that needs to read things more carefully, who's the one not acknowledging posts now?

Why is it that the most sensitive people are also the most outspoken? I don't get people sometimes...
Old 12-31-2013, 05:08 PM
cumquat

You called them all stuck up rats yet I'm the one trying to "slam" someone, get off your high horse would you. You did get a reply on your hot sauce post so it's you that needs to read things more carefully, who's the one not acknowledging posts now?

Why is it that the most sensitive people are also the most outspoken? I don't get people sometimes...
the definition of a politician.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:41 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

Rcu is a great place!! When I first joined I would post just to post. Now adays I only post when I truly have a question and that is not very often seeing that Im capable of doing almost everything in electric rc. Rcu ran into some problems a while back as well which caused some problems. You couldnt sign in. You couldnt post.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:34 PM
DieHarder

Hey, I posted my thoughts and freedom of speech not only exists in real life, but also on the internet. You showed up 5.5 months ago, didn't do much, and now all of a sudden acting like a know it all. You type more than you are, and that's the truth. High horse? Better think about that. The reply was of something in reply. It's general conversation that didn't even start with me. I think this whole thing is being blown way out of proportion, and both of us need to cool off. Not blaming anyone, but this is getting out of control, and becoming a forum-wide battle. I have no bad connections with anyone here, only you right now. If you really have a problem, then I'll edit the post and remove the sentence. I'm not surrendering, only offering a truce. Take it or leave it...

Old 12-31-2013, 09:19 PM
DISCUS54
My Feedback: (211)

Interesting thread on what happened to this place! While I do like the overall RCU experience, I would have to say that many of the forums seem micro managed. Censorship is a two-edged sword, I think your seeing the other "edge" now in the forums. The classifieds are still active though. ....and nobody wants to listen to two guys have a fisty session.

Last edited by DISCUS54; 12-31-2013 at 09:31 PM.
Old 01-01-2014, 01:10 AM
Large Larry

Originally Posted by DISCUS54
Interesting thread on what happened to this place! While I do like the overall RCU experience, I would have to say that many of the forums seem micro managed. Censorship is a two-edged sword, I think your seeing the other "edge" now in the forums. The classifieds are still active though. ....and nobody wants to listen to two guys have a fisty session.
What?
Old 01-01-2014, 01:30 AM
CafeenMan

Originally Posted by Eman77
Arby's. Roast beef sale.
Ummm... that ain't "roast beef". It's some sort of gelatinized beef by-product or something. Don't get me wrong. Sometimes I crave an Arby's, but I think it barely even qualifies as meat.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:11 AM
doolittles
My Feedback: (5)

I think the blame is mostly to the people that just like to bash others ! And some of Management failers ! Its to bad this use to be a great soure of information on engine, plane , scale builds ,setup for jet turbines , and just a great place to talk to others.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:43 AM
CRX Turbines

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Rocketry online is a similar forum to RCU for model rocketry and it also went through changes because the management in their infinite wisdom thought it needed to be changed. The site was colorful and tastefully done with activity all day and night. It said rocketry all over it. After the changes it was a dessimated mess that took on the look and feel of a ladies shopping site. RCU made many of the same lack lustre changes in my book....
Old 01-01-2014, 09:12 AM
Foxy

Thats quite enough for this thread. Thanks all.