Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Disappointed

Old 01-01-2014, 03:45 PM
Dirty_Vinylpusher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disappointed

Sad to see that the bickering from The Lounge had to spill over to that other thread and that it got locked.
It would have been just as easy to remove the BS and let it carry on.

I guess the question answered itself in the end and things will stay the way they are.
And I guess this thread will get locked/deleted as well.

R.I.P RCU.
It was fun while it lasted.

Goodbye.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:53 PM
razorofpow

Admins power trip... kind of annoying, I think I am gonna close my account... Bigsquids forum looks like it needs some posts...
Old 01-02-2014, 10:19 AM
Eman77

Vinyl, I'm not sure why you call it "bickering from The Lounge". It's not like the Lounge regulars started blasting folks in your thread. It's that one guy started name calling the Lounge regulars, and that turned into bickering. Not one "regular" that was being blasted by that one guy bickered in your thread from what I could see.

I just wanted to be clear on that. It's not like The Lounge is some bickering argument thread that spilled over into yours. The bickering is very sparse in The Lounge in fact - the only bickering there is joke stuff between LB and The Shop, which is just fun stuff since they've known each other for quite a while now and just have fun with it.

I'm sorry that the argument itself caused your thread to be closed, as it's a valid discussion point (i.e., 'What happened to this place?"). That sucks.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:31 AM
cumminspower5.9
My Feedback: (4)

The fact that a website is making people shed tears is truly unbelievable.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:37 AM
Eman77

I'd also love to explore what gives folks the impression that other online folks are "stuck up" without hurling insults, but I'm pessimistic at the outcome.

To me it's simply a matter of interests - if several folks all have one RC genre or theme (think Tamiya) in common, then odds are they mostly own Tamiyas, and that's where the majority of the knowledge falls for that group of people. So if someone new comments about their new Vaterra or HPI and has questions on it, and don't get many responses, could it just be that the others, who don't know anything about that model, have nothing to offer?

Unless I'm really bored, I'm not normally posting idle comments like "yeah" or "cool". Often times I just don't have anything of value to say. If that makes others feel shunned, then I'm sorry, but it's not intentional.

It's comments like "they're stuck up" or "they're all just getting each other off in that thread" by some of you guys that naturally make others go on the defensive, and that really doesn't accomplish anything, does it? We share a common strong interest in Tamiya (which, you have to admit, is a brand with a cult following of sorts), so we talk about that a lot - but that makes us stuck up and getting each other off?
Old 01-02-2014, 11:42 AM
lee172

Originally Posted by Eman77 View Post
I'd also love to explore what gives folks the impression that other online folks are "stuck up" without hurling insults, but I'm pessimistic at the outcome.

To me it's simply a matter of interests - if several folks all have one RC genre or theme (think Tamiya) in common, then odds are they mostly own Tamiyas, and that's where the majority of the knowledge falls for that group of people. So if someone new comments about their new Vaterra or HPI and has questions on it, and don't get many responses, could it just be that the others, who don't know anything about that model, have nothing to offer?

Unless I'm really bored, I'm not normally posting idle comments like "yeah" or "cool". Often times I just don't have anything of value to say. If that makes others feel shunned, then I'm sorry, but it's not intentional.

It's comments like "they're stuck up" or "they're all just getting each other off in that thread" by some of you guys that naturally make others go on the defensive, and that really doesn't accomplish anything, does it? We share a common strong interest in Tamiya (which, you have to admit, is a brand with a cult following of sorts), so we talk about that a lot - but that makes us stuck up and getting each other off?
I wrote 90% of a reply in the thread that got closed, but gave up.. I think you've pretty much covered it here Eman, aside from, the Lounge is quite 'close knit', so that could explain the 'stuck up' thing..
Old 01-02-2014, 12:41 PM
Foxy

This is the last thread that will be allowed on how people are discontent with RCU. 'Goodbye' threads arent' technically allowed by the rules, but I don't want it to appear that I am stifling negative discussion. I wish it wasn't a running theme, but I'm compelled to post because I can't agree with some of the justifications being offered.

There is no bickering in the Lounge that I am aware of, and the other thread got locked because a couple of people started getting out of line, nothing to do with those who call themselves loungers. When that stopped being constructive, I closed it. If that's power tripping, then so be it.

The real problem is that the car forums are now too quiet, which means less people interacting, which means if one or two people you don't like are prolific, it seems like the forum is filled with people you don't like. When there is more posting, there is more middle ground to work with. The loss of members was caused initially by technical problems, and then exacerbated by certain other factors. Like I say I wish there was something I could do, just got to hope it picks up again in coming years.

Last edited by Foxy; 01-02-2014 at 01:05 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:46 PM
Lunchboxer

Yeah..

Old 01-02-2014, 01:20 PM
Eman77

Originally Posted by Foxy View Post

The real problem is that the car forums are now too quiet, which means less people interacting, which means if one or two people you don't like are prolific, it seems like the forum is filled with people you don't like. When there is more posting, there is more middle ground to work with. The loss of members was caused initially by technical problems, and then exacerbated by certain other factors. Like I say I wish there was something I could do, just got to hope it picks up again in coming years.
That makes sense to me, about how things can get perceived.

As for the lack of activity recently, I do agree that it's come down quite a bit, but it's also exaggerated by the US/CAN winter season now, where very few of us are out and about running RC now. Not running means not buying, not tinkering, not breaking, not researching, so not posting about these things. I'm guessing we have mostly US/CAN members here (or at least a majority, although I'm certainly aware of those across the Atlantic), so the time of year adds to it as well.

It seems that we see "RCU is declining" threads every winter here.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:26 PM
Large Larry

I approve this message. I tried to say this in that other thread but in perhaps less general terms, I wasn't trying to "slam" anyone or offer my unwanted 2 cents, but I did feel as though a few people were being unfair in their judgement of others who simply didn't "respond" to their posts. No one in life owes anyone anything and I think a few people here have a hard time coming to terms with that.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:52 AM
pmerritt
My Feedback: (118)

As posted by Foxy:

"This is the last thread that will be allowed on how people are discontent with RCU".

Why wouldn't the gods of RCU take into consideration the constant posting of member's input regarding disgust and dislike with the new RCU and do something about the current loss of postings (and members) rather than become more and more restrictive and overbearing to where this site is nothing but ads for their sponsors? One can't even sneeze on this site without getting censored and threatened with exile.

" 'Goodbye' threads arent' technically allowed by the rules, but I don't want it to appear that I am stifling negative discussion."

DUH! That's exactly what you are doing isn't it? If members are that frustrated with the current rule, let their views be known. It's almost epidemic with all the boredom one reads about the new site. Take the negative feedback to the corporate gods and show them it's time to do something with this site to bring it back to life again! Knitting socks for the schnauzer would be more exciting than the allowed topics here. If one isn't beating a drum regarding a new product being sold by a sponsor, one isn't allowed much more leash to express their opinions here currently.

"I wish it wasn't a running theme, but I'm compelled to post because I can't agree with some of the justifications being offered."

That sums it all up. It IS truly a "controlled theme" restricted by you moderators who only allows your ideas to rule our views. Short of profanity, slander, liable, let some freedom flow here. That is what kept RCU on top for so long. Heated discussions are good for this site. It is beginning to look like I can only be quoting scripture or praising the almighty advertiser now that the new site arrived.
Someone making executive decisions needs to get off the megabuck golf course and sit down at the table with the real guys and find out what idiotic decision they made is running so many people off. It's pretty black and white to me! The reason people kept coming back is exactly the spirit you have killed on here.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:46 AM
Eman77

Originally Posted by pmerritt View Post

Why wouldn't the gods of RCU take into consideration the constant posting of member's input regarding disgust and dislike with the new RCU and do something about the current loss of postings (and members) rather than become more and more restrictive and overbearing to where this site is nothing but ads for their sponsors? One can't even sneeze on this site without getting censored and threatened with exile.
I think they could, it's a matter of how it's presented. If constructive criticism with concrete issues are brought up, I don't see why these can't be collected and offered as potential improvements. If, however, discontent manifests itself with threads of "this site sux" and "no one is here anymore cuz the mods are too controlling", or "it used to be all broken at some time so i didn't post anymore" then that's not constructive, and therefore not a productive conversation.

I would challenge you (and everyone in this category) to collect your negative thoughts on RCU and present what frustrates you in an organized manner, without sprinkling in backhanded comments or exaggerations.

I would also offer that you install any number of free plug-in ad blockers into your browser, and be rid of the ads you hate so much. I really don't know why folks complain about the ads, and yet do nothing about it, when an easy solution is completely in your power. I don't care for ads either, but they do fund many many online businesses, and are a necessary evil for them. That's the reality. But you, as a user, can minimize that at no cost and little effort.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:47 AM
Foxy

Originally Posted by pmerritt View Post
As posted by Foxy:

"This is the last thread that will be allowed on how people are discontent with RCU".

" 'Goodbye' threads arent' technically allowed by the rules, but I don't want it to appear that I am stifling negative discussion."

DUH! That's exactly what you are doing isn't it? If members are that frustrated with the current rule, let their views be known. It's almost epidemic with all the boredom one reads about the new site. Take the negative feedback to the corporate gods and show them it's time to do something with this site to bring it back to life again! Knitting socks for the schnauzer would be more exciting than the allowed topics here. If one isn't beating a drum regarding a new product being sold by a sponsor, one isn't allowed much more leash to express their opinions here currently.

"I wish it wasn't a running theme, but I'm compelled to post because I can't agree with some of the justifications being offered."

That sums it all up. It IS truly a "controlled theme" restricted by you moderators who only allows your ideas to rule our views. Short of profanity, slander, liable, let some freedom flow here. That is what kept RCU on top for so long. Heated discussions are good for this site. It is beginning to look like I can only be quoting scripture or praising the almighty advertiser now that the new site arrived.
Someone making executive decisions needs to get off the megabuck golf course and sit down at the table with the real guys and find out what idiotic decision they made is running so many people off. It's pretty black and white to me! The reason people kept coming back is exactly the spirit you have killed on here.
I have no idea how to respond to that, your perception of what is going on here is so distant from mine, that I don't think we're going to find common ground. It is not the rule that is the problem here, or my enforcement of it. If you are looking for the evil behind the decline of RCU, you are looking in the wrong place if you are looking at me, I've only ever done my best to maintain this place fairly and as leniently as possible. The other thread got locked as it wasn't constructive any more, in spite of that, I leave a thread like this open the following day and you STILL feel a need to give me a lecture on not stifling free opinion? Gimme a break.

There is no freedom of speech on RCU, nor on any other privately owned forum where you signed up to terms and conditions that basically said 'our way or the highway'. It would be silly to subsequently moan about that, because all forums are like that. The details of the rules may vary, but nobody is going to let you in their house if you spit on the floor, its as simple as that.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:21 AM
rgburrill

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Well said Foxy.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:11 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

I think Vinylpusher is just making it worse by postign liek this. We used to be a happy place, then the 2 threads happened. And then, trainwreck.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:21 AM
The Shop

We get it Vinyl, you don't like RCU.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:59 AM
Foxy

And with that, not because of it, this thread has reached its conclusion. I hope those who are happy to hang around don't feel I'm being unduly prohibitive in bringing this general theme to a general close now.