Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Well got a new toy today

Old 12-05-2014, 08:19 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well got a new toy today

Ended up getting a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a V6 today.

My last car died about a month ago (kept over heating left, and right), but the crappy thing was I just put a radiator, battery, and starter in it 2-3 week prior
My guess is the coolant lines in the engine corroded as my mechanic said no matter how many times he flushes my engine little garbage keeps coming out. His estimated repair for it would have been over $1200... not counting the $200-300 in rust removal, and re-coating the under carriage needed as it started rusting bad due to bottoming out a lot as Chicago streets are worst then rural backwater dirt roads(no offense to anyone living in the boonies), and the couple hundred for body rot repair in the stereotypical 98 monte carlo rots spots(see so many monte carlos with identical rot spots)

Anyways a jeep cherokee wasn't my 1st choice I really wanted a Wrangler... but those were way out of my price range... I saw 5 Wranglers in my range 2 were scams, 2 had no engines, or trannys, and one had a seized motor...

But hey I decided cherokee as I read they are reliable, can actually drive down our crap streets here, and I found don't look too bad.

For the record after wasting over I'd guess $150 in gas driving all over northern IL I am so friggin fed up with craigslist... I saw so many scam vehicles on it that it wasn't funny. Half the jeeps I saw had odometers turned back over 100k+ miles, or they put up fake pictures, 100% pure scams saying it was in another state(heard the same thing 3 times one was a airforce pilot, one a stewardess, and forgot the 3rd) and if I sent a deposit they would ship it to me, or the ass hats sold it after they told me to come out without saying hey forget coming out its sold as you know getting someone to drive me 100 miles was fun during rush hour... Glad I paid $50 for a month of vin checks or I would have bought one of the rolled back odometer ones as it looked nice till I saw its history.

Also ordered a JVC KD-X310BT stereo for $100 to put in it as the stock stereo sucks ass, and for some reason out of the 20 or so local stations it only would pick up 2 spanish stations...

Next step might be to get it detailed as it reeks of cigarettes

Wish the car lot I got it off of would have done that, but it was the best one I've seen yet, and didn't want to pass it up for something mild like that.

If anyone has/had one do they got any tips for taking care of them?

Last edited by SyCo_VeNoM; 12-05-2014 at 08:29 PM.
Old 12-06-2014, 01:35 PM
cumminspower5.9
My Feedback: (4)

Those straight six 4.0 liters are bulletproof. Just routine maintenance on the motor and that thing will run forever. Also, depending on the previous owner, check ball joints. Those seem to go bad with very little aggressive driving. My dad had a 1997 Jeep Cherokee 2wd 2 door 5 speed. Still on the road today. Im sure it is well over 200k miles now.
Old 12-06-2014, 04:31 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

yea this one had extremely low mileage like 115k, and according to the carfax report seems to have had proper maintenance.
I went for the straight six cause I heard how legendary they are for running forever. Most people I talked to that owned one said the truck rotted away, and the motor was still going strong.

Gonna take it tuesday to my mechanic so he could check it out to see if anything is wrong as to me it sounds fine, but then again I also couldn't see under the car where he could pop it on a rack. Only thing that semi worries me is it seems to have trouble starting, but then again it might be something simple. I also found it hard to shift into 4X4 not sure if that is normal, but I didn't notice any weird noises when it was in 4wd mode.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:58 AM
jkdv8
My Feedback: (1)

My parents had an older one. Had 230K on it I think before the motor started to go.

Also in the future don't look at carfax as the holy grail. It is a great tool to use in purchasing but not always on the money. Accidents are one thing where the insurance companies are suppose to report these type of things but stuff like maintenance would be a little more difficult to reliably keep up with.

Bought a car from carmax before, ran the report, everything fine. 6 months later after switching insurance companies the new company informed me it had been in an accident. Almost $2500 in damages. So I ended up paying the inflated price at carmax (cause they don't sell wrecked cars) as well as the blue book value without the accident behind taking into account for decreased value. Carmax did however offer to buy back the vehicle.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:54 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Originally Posted by jkdv8 View Post
My parents had an older one. Had 230K on it I think before the motor started to go.

Also in the future don't look at carfax as the holy grail. It is a great tool to use in purchasing but not always on the money. Accidents are one thing where the insurance companies are suppose to report these type of things but stuff like maintenance would be a little more difficult to reliably keep up with.

Bought a car from carmax before, ran the report, everything fine. 6 months later after switching insurance companies the new company informed me it had been in an accident. Almost $2500 in damages. So I ended up paying the inflated price at carmax (cause they don't sell wrecked cars) as well as the blue book value without the accident behind taking into account for decreased value. Carmax did however offer to buy back the vehicle.
nah I didn't use them as a holy grail
I was using autocheck.com which is a part of experian for my checks. It was mainly for making sure there were no leans, it also checked to see if there were accidents reported to the state, how many times it was bought/sold, and the odometer checked out with what the state recorded during emissions tests(which honestly quite a few didn't that I looked at). That site didn't bother with the service records as I agree its pointless cause outside the service they had done at the dealer you don't see any other as most places don't bother recording it then there are also people like me who like doing their own service on vehicles when they can.

The carfax report was supplied by the lot so that's the only reason I looked at it even.

Last edited by SyCo_VeNoM; 12-08-2014 at 07:58 PM.
Old 12-09-2014, 11:31 AM
jkdv8

Ah ok good. Multiple reports is the best route.
Old 12-09-2014, 04:40 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

damn my mechanic gave me some semi bad news
They said the starter on it while is new for some reason is skipping, and not engaging every time. They are not sure if the place put the starter in wrong, if they stripped the teeth on the starter, or stripped the teeth on the flywheel. Main reason they said they think it was done wrong was another belt that was squealing they said was brand new, but wasn't put it on right...

They also said its leaking some coolant from the housing for the thermostat and they had to reseal it, and needed a complete tune up as it doesn't look like one was done in ages(which they think might be part of its starting issues).
On top of that they said in a few months the tranny will need a new seal as it has a very minor leak, the power steering has a minor leak, and something else has a very minor leak, and the front suspention needs some minor work, but they said those aren't major, and could be done later as they know I'm kinda broke after buying it.
Basically they said I shouldn't go cross country driving with it, but without how much I drive it should be fine for now.

Ohh well I was expecting some work glad its nowhere near as bad as my sisters car when she got it turned out it needed over $1500 worth of immediate work.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:47 PM
cumminspower5.9

Those are just small probs. Leaks are nice to take care of, but when you start pulling trannies, a leak gets pretty pricey. My 97 Camry (which now has 217k miles) leaks a bit of oil, power steering fluid, the struts need to be replaced, and needs wheel bearings. While the most expensive thing that needs to be done is the struts, the others are no big deal. I will be doing the bearings at least next spring, but the leaks, oh well. not gonna pay a shop thousands to repair the rear main leaking, or rebuild the power steering pump on a car this old that may die any day. Not that i'm worried about it dying cause it runs so damn good and smooth. With used cars, you take chances. Look at it this way, you could dump all the money to repair those, and it could die in a week. Weigh your options.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:52 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Originally Posted by cumminspower5.9 View Post
Those are just small probs. Leaks are nice to take care of, but when you start pulling trannies, a leak gets pretty pricey. My 97 Camry (which now has 217k miles) leaks a bit of oil, power steering fluid, the struts need to be replaced, and needs wheel bearings. While the most expensive thing that needs to be done is the struts, the others are no big deal. I will be doing the bearings at least next spring, but the leaks, oh well. not gonna pay a shop thousands to repair the rear main leaking, or rebuild the power steering pump on a car this old that may die any day. Not that i'm worried about it dying cause it runs so damn good and smooth. With used cars, you take chances. Look at it this way, you could dump all the money to repair those, and it could die in a week. Weigh your options.
true
Like my 98 monte carlo with 89k miles... replaced the battery, radiator, and starter in the past 2 months then bam engine started overheating. Got fed up replaced it with this jeep.

I will get the leaks fixed eventually as I don't want them going dry if I forget to check em. They said the leaks look like they are from the seals, and are very minor so replacing the seals isn't too bad as lets face it even on RC's we have to replace seals on things that hold fluids eventually. Pretty much they said it looks like the prior owner didn't go through with some of the normal maintenance on it. Remember its got only 115k miles hoping it hits at least 200k

In your case with the mileage I wouldn't bother investing a ton int fixing it either.

Anyways once I get it home tomarrow I'm poppin off the negative lead on the battery, and ripping the dashboard off to install my new radio for it which I already did all of the the wiring for the harness. As it looks like only 5 screws hold that part of the dash on I'm expecting a fairly fast swap

Last edited by SyCo_VeNoM; 12-09-2014 at 06:55 PM.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:31 AM
cumminspower5.9

Does your Jeep have the rear speaker bar?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	soundbar2.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	2053656  
Old 12-10-2014, 10:11 AM
jkdv8

"They" say the rule of thumb is if you spend more in 6 months to a year than you would've on a car payment to get rid of it. Doesn't include regular maintenance stuff. Just repairs.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:18 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

nope no speaker bar

installed the stereo today in the dark with a flashlight as I got it home kinda late. Glad it was pretty easy, and straight forward.

Starter they said was too screwed up to save, but luckily the flywheel wasn't damaged. The thermostat housing the screws were stripped on it so they just replaced it. They said the spark plugs in it were in terrible shape and they think the spark plug wires, and the distributor cap might have been stock...

Runs great now.

next is get a remote entry FOB, floor mats, and get it detailed as the smell of smoke is pretty bad still. Way better then when I 1st got it, but still real bad.

As for that spend rule... that I'm sure is a nice rule if you have a lot of cash, and not a limited budget. Trust me when I say my budget was very small so I wasn't expecting a perfectly running vehicle I was expecting some work any way I looked at it, and also I wanted a particular area of year as I don't like newer vehicles .

Last edited by SyCo_VeNoM; 12-10-2014 at 05:25 PM.
Old 12-12-2014, 03:56 PM
DieHarder

You guys need to get lifts and start working on you own stuff! It makes everything way easier. Starters are easy work, just don't forget the shims!
Old 12-12-2014, 06:33 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Originally Posted by DieHarder View Post
You guys need to get lifts and start working on you own stuff! It makes everything way easier. Starters are easy work, just don't forget the shims!
yea problem is my garage is small... can barely fit 2 cars in it, and has one which hasn't moved in 8 years...

Also as I'm sure you notice as you are in michigan its freezing, and working in an unheated garage in 30 degree weather with wind chills that bring it to single digit is not fun. Now if it was summer then yea I like to do my own work.

Anyways need floor mats torn between the following
Husky Liners Classic Style Floor Liners http://www.autoanything.com/floor-mats/64A1456A0A0.aspx
Lund Catch-All Floor Mats http://www.autoanything.com/floor-mats/64A1454A0A0.aspx (I do like how they look)
Weather tech http://www.autoanything.com/floor-mats/64A2002A0A0.aspx (less on weather tech as they are quite a bit more expensive)

and maybe http://www.autoanything.com/floor-mats/64A1581A0A0.aspx for the rear as they are cheaper, and I usually don't have more then 1 passenger. Honestly in the last 8 years I think I used the backseat like 10-14 times total in my last vehicle.

Could use advice on this as I've never had anything over the stock floor mats before, and this vehicle came with none. Want to get them prior to getting it detailed as I feel its pointless if I get the sucker filthy right after paying to get it done.
Old 12-13-2014, 07:54 PM
DieHarder

I know you live in Chicago which always looks to get hit really hard in the winter, so I see your point. Yeah, two stall garage isn't big enough for a lift. lol I actually just came from a 65*F garage, or 'shop'.

We have a heated, insulated/drywalled, finished, 24x39, peaked roof, garage with two lifts. One a storage lift holding a '78 Trans Am and 80's Grand Am. The other is our regular work lift. Takes a vehicle up 6.5ft, clearing the ceiling with everything, including 1/2 Ton trucks. Was going to go with a 24x40 garage, but township said less then 40', so it's 39.5'. Got a full size drill press, 20T shop press, grinding/wire wheel, parts washer, storage racks, tool chest, tv, stereo system, outdoor spotlights, 32x40 concrete pad out in front, attic access, pneumatic tubing in the walls/ceiling throughout the entire building, and is detached from the house so dad and I don't get to be bugged by mom, except the intercom...
Old 12-13-2014, 10:16 PM
collector1231

Dang, nice space DieHarder! My lifts are jacks, and a little space heater in the winter or a computer fan ghetto rigged to a 9 volt battery is my cooling system. LOL!
Old 12-14-2014, 02:31 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Originally Posted by collector1231 View Post
Dang, nice space DieHarder! My lifts are jacks, and a little space heater in the winter or a computer fan ghetto rigged to a 9 volt battery is my cooling system. LOL!
agree lol
my garage I couldn't even lift this vehicle 2 feet in the air without having to cut down support beams. Total clearance in the garage is maybe 9 feet tops.
Always get jealous when I see some of the guys here yards, or garages as like the garage my yard is tiny too.

So need a trans-am. One day I will have one if I ever move from this city.
Old 12-14-2014, 03:28 PM
RustyUs

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DieHarder View Post
I know you live in Chicago which always looks to get hit really hard in the winter, so I see your point. Yeah, two stall garage isn't big enough for a lift. lol I actually just came from a 65*F garage, or 'shop'.

We have a heated, insulated/drywalled, finished, 24x39, peaked roof, garage with two lifts. One a storage lift holding a '78 Trans Am and 80's Grand Am. The other is our regular work lift. Takes a vehicle up 6.5ft, clearing the ceiling with everything, including 1/2 Ton trucks. Was going to go with a 24x40 garage, but township said less then 40', so it's 39.5'. Got a full size drill press, 20T shop press, grinding/wire wheel, parts washer, storage racks, tool chest, tv, stereo system, outdoor spotlights, 32x40 concrete pad out in front, attic access, pneumatic tubing in the walls/ceiling throughout the entire building, and is detached from the house so dad and I don't get to be bugged by mom, except the intercom...
That Trans Am wouldn't happen to be black would it?
Old 12-15-2014, 06:26 AM
DieHarder

Nope. It's gold with the original gold factory rims, 7.4L V8 (bigger than stock), 3.36 differential, and the eagle hood that came stock. My grandpa bought it, gave it to my dad, he did some mods including the diff and engine swap, also had it rust proofed, did some drag racing, and it's sat in storage since early 90's.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:49 AM
EXT2Rob

Nate, you lucky *******! What a nice workspace.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:50 PM
DieHarder

Currently building (still) my RC trailer out there.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:48 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Well changed my battery this morning had to goto work for a meeting, and since I last drove it (monday) the battery was reading 10volts prior to starting it, and gave me problems firing up.
The auto store tested my battery, and their machine said it was good, but was in the last quarter of its life... whatever that means so I said screw it and changed the battery while I had it out. Guy said that means it would last for a few more months... to me its worth the $100 for the battery now to not have to hope my vehicle starts when its cold out.

Also got it detailed today...
Detailing shop lost my key...
Ohh well they gave me the detailing free(would have cost me around $150) guess it was worth a key I can get replaced for under $10. Actually they also said they would reimburse me for the key, but the place is not close so what I pay for a key would be wasted in the gas to get reimbursed for it so meh.
At least my car no longer smells like a ashtray

I really gotta take a picture of it wish the weather would co-operate. Last few days when I had a chance the weather was pretty lousy...