Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Quitting RC. I am not torn.

Old 01-01-2015, 06:50 AM
gokemidoro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quitting RC. I am not torn.

Hello, and good bye, all.

After nearly a decade in RC, I am leaving. I can no longer afford it, and to be quite honest, the hobby has gone downhill, and forums such as this one, no longer supply useful information any longer. Members cannot even be bothered to fill out the avatar info. That makes it hard for anyone to recommend anything to ANYONE, since some RCU commenters are international.
There seems to be no one curious enough to post comments. Lurkers abound, but no one with enough curiosity to ask a question?

REALLY? This forum has THAT many people who know EXACTLY what they're doing?

I commend them!

But it makes the hobby suck. Which is why I don't feel bad about leaving it. To be fair, it's not just RCU,however. ALL RC forums have been reduced to showcases and arenas for personal arrogance, with no clear direction concerning RC. Maybe the airplane guys feel different, but cars and trucks just don't appeal any longer. No one is talking to anyone else. WARM WELCOME, fellas.

Later. This crap is inexcusable.
Old 01-01-2015, 09:07 AM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Aww, but I remember when I asked my first question and you were the only person who bothered to answer it! We go way back, lol. If you didn't solve that question, I would have never started RC racing. And 4 years later? I'm an almost professional racer with a sponsoring body. All because you answered that one question.
Old 01-01-2015, 09:43 AM
gokemidoro

I am glad to help!

I am embarrassed by the state of RC, though. I have watched it reduce itself to this......A state where no one talks to anyone else. It's all about what the "new" thing is, without even a shred of critique. RC magazines are notorious for passing crap off without any real critique, because let's face it, there isn't any pride in what's being done. It's like we're all a bunch of bowerbirds, all attracted to the shiniest thing out there, whether it works or not.

I recently found the secret to indoor drift, and was there a single question about the most important aspect of indoor drift?

No.
'
That's the level of curiosity here. It's all about "scoring" or some other ridiculous thing. When a drifter can't drift, who cares about "scoring?"

New ideas aren't being discussed, just thrown out there, like we're all supposed to flock to mit, "just because?"

PFFFT. It's been a long walk, and I'm thoroughly disgusted.
Old 01-01-2015, 09:55 AM
collector1231

Eh, you're pretty right. I have never experienced something like that, but I have seen it before.
Old 01-01-2015, 03:00 PM
DieHarder

I have to agree on the magazines, they are getting a bit annoying. Less good info, more advertising. I still run an Evader as my main speed machine, so other than my SCX10 I got this fall, I haven't bought any new RC trucks since 2008 and that was used! The "Off-Topics" forum is dead other than the lounge. The other forums are nothing but people asking what they should buy or how to replace an A-arm on their truck. However there are those few that have an interesting case that they appeal. I'm really pushing the hobby in the way of designing new, building, and running whenever I have the time, which is quite often. For example, I built an RC plow truck using an on-road chassis. I posted a big thread on that. Also before I got it officially going, I had a three page thread asking questions. I'm almost done with my RC trailer built from scratch with lights, dove-tail ramp, all aluminum, leaf spring suspension with a functioning equalizer (it's tandem axle), and 4" tall tires for some off-road capabilities. I plan to post a big thread on that as soon as I finish it (hoping to be done in February). I did the same 'asking questions' thread when I built my SCX10. That was many pages as well.

I'm just sayin, I try to put good info out there and ask questions. I support turning this RC depression around.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:22 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Originally Posted by DieHarder View Post
I have to agree on the magazines, they are getting a bit annoying. Less good info, more advertising. I still run an Evader as my main speed machine, so other than my SCX10 I got this fall, I haven't bought any new RC trucks since 2008 and that was used! The "Off-Topics" forum is dead other than the lounge. The other forums are nothing but people asking what they should buy or how to replace an A-arm on their truck. However there are those few that have an interesting case that they appeal. I'm really pushing the hobby in the way of designing new, building, and running whenever I have the time, which is quite often. For example, I built an RC plow truck using an on-road chassis. I posted a big thread on that. Also before I got it officially going, I had a three page thread asking questions. I'm almost done with my RC trailer built from scratch with lights, dove-tail ramp, all aluminum, leaf spring suspension with a functioning equalizer (it's tandem axle), and 4" tall tires for some off-road capabilities. I plan to post a big thread on that as soon as I finish it (hoping to be done in February). I did the same 'asking questions' thread when I built my SCX10. That was many pages as well.

I'm just sayin, I try to put good info out there and ask questions. I support turning this RC depression around.
not far off that
Last RC I bought was around 1-2 years ago only cause it was dirt cheap. Funny thing is I've never ran it. I've also not ran most my things recently as there is almost no where left near me to run em due to them overbuilding the city.
Old 01-03-2015, 03:23 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Go read through the jet threads and you will find that the surface threads aren't so bad after all.
Old 01-03-2015, 05:39 PM
cbaker65

But only if we all lived in the same town!....
Old 01-03-2015, 09:53 PM
Whitecobra

I have been a member for 4 months now. Today was the first time making a post asking for advice. I got plenty of responses, so I think there are plenty of people here who are willing to help and give advice. Sorry to hear you are leaving because I'm sure you have a lot more knowledge than I about this awesome hobby.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:31 AM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Originally Posted by collector1231 View Post
Aww, but I remember when I asked my first question and you were the only person who bothered to answer it! We go way back, lol. If you didn't solve that question, I would have never started RC racing. And 4 years later? I'm an almost professional racer with a sponsoring body. All because you answered that one question.
Seriously, it is nice to hear stories like these. I can understand the OP's sentiments though. Many forums have been way more active in the past with great projects, information and discussion. Unfortunately rc hasn't escaped the internet's evolution into a medium of agendas and commercialization.

There is a core group here on RCU that does care and answers questions as best they can. That group doesn't post too much about their own vehicles or projects, perhaps because they don't want to be "showcasing their personal arrogance" to paraphrase the OP.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:49 PM
Dirty_Vinylpusher

forums such as this one, no longer supply useful information any longer. Members cannot even be bothered to fill out the avatar info. That makes it hard for anyone to recommend anything to ANYONE, since some RCU commenters are international.
There seems to be no one curious enough to post comments. Lurkers abound, but no one with enough curiosity to ask a question?
This forum fizzled out a long time ago.
People are doing other things, using Facebook more, dunno.

It used to be super busy here but then everyone disappeared.
There's a few threads on the topic, pages 2 and 3 in this section which got locked.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/off-...ned-place.html

I'm seeing the same happen on other forums as well, not just RC ones.
It's just as easy to just Google your question these days and get an answer immediately.
Maybe people are too impatient to wait for an answer on a forum?
Who knows.

Things are changing .

Old 01-06-2015, 03:52 PM
DieHarder

Thanks for quoting that thread. (Sarcasm) I think the whole forum knows how that ended...
Originally Posted by Dirty_Vinylpusher View Post
This forum fizzled out a long time ago.
People are doing other things, using Facebook more, dunno.

It used to be super busy here but then everyone disappeared.
There's a few threads on the topic, pages 2 and 3 in this section which got locked.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/off-...ned-place.html

I'm seeing the same happen on other forums as well, not just RC ones.
It's just as easy to just Google your question these days and get an answer immediately.
Maybe people are too impatient to wait for an answer on a forum?
Who knows.

Things are changing .

Old 01-07-2015, 12:37 PM
Dirty_Vinylpusher

Originally Posted by DieHarder View Post
Thanks for quoting that thread. (Sarcasm) I think the whole forum knows how that ended...
It is what it is.

Last post on the first page is from August last year.
Just proves my point (and the OP's)

I said everything I had to say in the first post of that thread.
Many people clearly didn't understand what I meant which is why it ended the way it did.

Last edited by Dirty_Vinylpusher; 01-07-2015 at 09:23 PM.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:36 PM
pythonfan

Technology unfortunately.

I joined rcu when i was 14, most of the users who were very active back then were really close in age. As we grew older life happens, we discover women and other things that interest us and we as people evolve and stray from our pasts. Some stick around, a lot more don't. I'm 24 now, almost all of my friends have kids now, my generation grew up in the boom of technology, everyone has smart phones in there pockets, computers, it's everywhere. I talk to friends who drive and are in car clubs who can't change a tire, but can tell you how to program an app. These people have kids, they don't get brought up like we did. Gear heads are few and far between these days, I got into competitive online gaming, running and managing websites, women, etc but I'm still around. Last cars i bought were a kyosho inferno .09 mint and a hot bodies dirt demon, two childhood cars i loved and wanted back in my collection. I just dropped a ton for a new motor in my baja, some still like to be involved and we pass it on to the others. I just got my lady freinds kid his frist rc car, we pass it on and try to break the newest trend of technology gadgets and teach them to work with their hands instead.

While rcu is dieing, you look at forums like minecraft, 3d printing, andriod forums you will see the hive actvitiy that rcu once buzzed with. People have moved on and it is what it is unfortunately.
Old 01-11-2015, 04:13 AM
Argess

I've been in the hobby since 1968. It never occurred to me to be disappointed with the hobby because the internet hadn't been invented yet.
Old 01-15-2015, 11:27 AM
jkdv8

Lol @ Argess. Great response. I picked up practically everything I know from learning as I go. I was running nitros for a good 5 or 6 years before finding this site and electrics for even longer. For some the Internet is a great place for reference but shouldn't be relied on as the "go to" for answers. This hobby is a "hands on" deal with part of it being learn as you go and if everything is handed to you, well, you don't learn anything then you're right back here the next day with a different concern. Ends up being a never ending barrage of questions and confusion. This isn't a rant or a rage and is not directed to one specific person or party.
Old 01-15-2015, 11:19 PM
Dirty_Vinylpusher

Originally Posted by Argess View Post
I've been in the hobby since 1968. It never occurred to me to be disappointed with the hobby because the internet hadn't been invented yet.
Funny, yet somewhat irrelevant.

What was RC like in the 60s?
was there the huge selectin of different cars, planes, boats etc that there is today?
Replacement parts, aftermarket parts, modifications etc?

To say that we got by without the internet before it existed (yes at 40 I'm old enough to remember that time) is one thing, but to get used to something, like RC forums for help and advice from the start, and then see it disappear is another thing.

I don't associate with anyone who is in to RC.
Had it not been for the internet, and indeed RCU I would never have been able to build some of the crazy contraptions I've come up with.
Well, never say never, but it certainly helped a lot as my local hobby shop was no help whatsoever.
"You're gonna do what with a chainsaw motor? That'll never work"

So, yes, for the younger players, and indeed some older, the internet and forums are a big help.
A lot of people gravitated towards RCU as most "other" forums were a bit quiet and then this place went the same way, to an extent, which is a shame.

If internet forums are a big part of "The hobby" as it may well be for some people, then, yes, I can see how one could be disappointed.

Old 11-20-2015, 12:35 PM
mattster1971

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Desertlakesflying View Post
Go read through the jet threads and you will find that the surface threads aren't so bad after all.
LOL that is true, the plane forums are really quiet.

I love my rc cars and I will continue to come back here and look for any way I can contribute and stay active in the hobby. I don't have much else interesting in my life so this is a good distraction, my "anti-drug" as you call it. I also have noticed that since I joined years ago the number of contributing people has dramatically declined. I saw a shift to a competitive forum but that forum is just a bunch of pros spouting off about the next most expensive vehicle, and if you don't have the latest and greatest you are frowned upon. I find South American and Central American racing most interesting with the popularity of the Hobao brand in those regions and places in Europe like Spain.
Old 07-07-2016, 06:02 PM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

I'm with the OP. His first two posts in this thread echo my sentiments on the hobby exactly. I barely ran any of my rc's last year and haven't even thought of touching them this year. My nephew is older and isn't interested in his anymore either so I'm out of rc. The remaining rc's are getting sold to make the big boy toys in my garage even more awesome.

And I'd especially like to burn the bridge to RCU. I lurked here a couple years before joining, so I've been around here for over a decade. I'm also a long time member of several other rc forums that I'll probably continue to pop into from time to time. Let me state unequivocably that this place is the worst and I have no interest in returning at all. Yeah, there's like 2-3 users who are happy to hear that. Anyway. This place is dead and make no mistake there are other forums that are doing very well, especially compared to this place. The newbies are the only ones keeping this place going and they bring there own set of annoyances. But this forum has been on my axe list for awhile since the user base basically lost its technical side. It's like walking into that lhs where they really don't know anything and can only regurgitate what's on the box or website.

Also annoying is that users here seem to have the most sensitive skin compared to other rc forums. It's the written word and most us aren't professional wordsmiths so take what you read with a grain of salt. The intended tone may not be what you think. But instead they cry about your tone in that one sentence when the post is full of well reasoned points and is a great discussion. God forbid you correct someone. Grow a set, grow up, toughen up. This isn't kindergarten where everyone is special and walking on eggshells around you. Interestingly the 1:1 car forums I'm a member of have the least problem with this compared to rc forums. No need to worry about the tone too much as long as your contributing something worthwhile. Want to rib someone a little? It's taken in stride as good fun, no crying.

I could probably go on but why bother, you get the point. I have better things to do than rc, I'm disgusted with RCU, I'm moving on and none of you really care. One good thing about this forum is you can actually delete your account, good job on that RCU.
Old 07-31-2016, 07:37 PM
DieHarder

I just want to say that you're probably the most knowledgeable RC enthusiast that I've ever come across and I'm not gonna go into that corny "you'll be greatly missed" sh1t, but I want you to know that you've really boosted my passion for RC and I really, honestly, not just saying this, appreciate your help and I don't think I would be where I am today in this hobby without you.

The way you fully concentrate on understanding people's questions and problems on here make you a five star member and the advice you give is spot on every time. I feel like I know you and the rough tone your posts project don't bother me like they did when I first read them. You helped me to 'toughen up' and realize that not everything in the world is kind and plush. Constructive criticism and useful information go hand in hand and they build character, something I think you have a lot of in person. Reading this, it sounds emotional and exactly how I didn't want it to sound. But dude, you are part of the elite and I hope you choose to come back once in awhile to visit with the 'core group of people who care and answer questions' here on RCU.
Originally Posted by Maj_Overdrive View Post
I'm with the OP. His first two posts in this thread echo my sentiments on the hobby exactly. I barely ran any of my rc's last year and haven't even thought of touching them this year. My nephew is older and isn't interested in his anymore either so I'm out of rc. The remaining rc's are getting sold to make the big boy toys in my garage even more awesome.

And I'd especially like to burn the bridge to RCU. I lurked here a couple years before joining, so I've been around here for over a decade. I'm also a long time member of several other rc forums that I'll probably continue to pop into from time to time. Let me state unequivocably that this place is the worst and I have no interest in returning at all. Yeah, there's like 2-3 users who are happy to hear that. Anyway. This place is dead and make no mistake there are other forums that are doing very well, especially compared to this place. The newbies are the only ones keeping this place going and they bring there own set of annoyances. But this forum has been on my axe list for awhile since the user base basically lost its technical side. It's like walking into that lhs where they really don't know anything and can only regurgitate what's on the box or website.

Also annoying is that users here seem to have the most sensitive skin compared to other rc forums. It's the written word and most us aren't professional wordsmiths so take what you read with a grain of salt. The intended tone may not be what you think. But instead they cry about your tone in that one sentence when the post is full of well reasoned points and is a great discussion. God forbid you correct someone. Grow a set, grow up, toughen up. This isn't kindergarten where everyone is special and walking on eggshells around you. Interestingly the 1:1 car forums I'm a member of have the least problem with this compared to rc forums. No need to worry about the tone too much as long as your contributing something worthwhile. Want to rib someone a little? It's taken in stride as good fun, no crying.

I could probably go on but why bother, you get the point. I have better things to do than rc, I'm disgusted with RCU, I'm moving on and none of you really care. One good thing about this forum is you can actually delete your account, good job on that RCU.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:06 PM
Strider64

Hobbies come and go with people, I used to be big in photography even took a college course in photography and two courses in Photoshop. I didn't exactly get bored with the hobby as much that I'm just an average photographer compared to other people that are out there. It only makes matter worse when you have people out there that are basically snobs when it comes to helping people out when just starting in photography. As for RC, I took a hiatus from it, for it got to expensive and I would go to sanction RC races where majority of the people to put it bluntly were jerks. Most wouldn't help out a newbie and a lot of them would give you the cold shoulder if you just said hello to them. I am just getting back into RC, but this time I'm just bashing around in the backyard and at a local outdoor track that is nearby me. Over the winter I plan on making modifications to my RC truck and I might go to one or two races next year just to see how well the car does and even I do against competition. However, I have no plans on taking that any further than that, for I like jumping and seeing how hard fast I can go even to the point of flipping the car a few times. I'm starting to get pretty good at controlling the RC Car, much this better time around with electric instead of nitro, plus I'm finding electric just as exciting as nitro. If it's not fun then it's probably time to find a different hobby or just take a hiatus from it. Though if you do I suggest keeping your tools in case you do come back, for I made the expensive mistake of selling mine when I got out of the hobby the first time around.

Last edited by Strider64; 08-01-2016 at 08:12 PM.
Old 08-06-2016, 10:11 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Originally Posted by Maj_Overdrive View Post

Well I've been on the outs of RC for the past 2-3 years as I've not done much with them outside dust them off, and move them from one room to another(A few months back).

I have a few reasons why I'm not that big into it currently I've been having some financial issues, have a few big projects, alot of crap goin on in the family, and don't have many places to run nearby anymore as the city decided to rip up the park I used to run at to build a school a few years back. Then there are my nephews who I'd take out, and run with one doesn't want to look like a nerd so he ditched everything not "mature"(I hate to tell him that is what a kid does), and the younger one won't look up from a cell phone for even 5 mins anymore as all he does is play stupid bland games on it non-stop.

As for the forum there were enough people posting to start an argument? I will admit this place is pretty dead, and yea can see getting fed up with all the post 2-3 question then never post again users, but I can't say I've seen any of the fighting although I will admit I forgot to even log in here for a few months at a time, and only check it once every 1-3 weeks now.

Originally Posted by Strider64 View Post
Hobbies come and go with people, I used to be big in photography even took a college course in photography and two courses in Photoshop. I didn't exactly get bored with the hobby as much that I'm just an average photographer compared to other people that are out there. It only makes matter worse when you have people out there that are basically snobs when it comes to helping people out when just starting in photography.
I've tried getting into photography, and it is like you say its hard to find help with the lower end DSLR's like my nikkon 3200 as the people really into it their one lens costs more then my whole setup. Well also doesn't help that after I bought it I went through a pile of issues one after another that have run me pretty ragged mentally, and physically.

Last edited by SyCo_VeNoM; 08-06-2016 at 10:15 AM.
Old 08-06-2016, 01:14 PM
J330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The issue is not the forum, or the forum community. The issue are those that are complaining.

Here are the benefits that make this hobby and forum part of my life:

The hobby is always evolving into new technologies now more than ever. It's also a lot more affordable than ever, except glow fuel and the cost of shipping. (Neither of those are RCU's fault.)
Seasoned and new hobbyists can exchange their experiences and share their strengths with each other within minutes.
You can save money, not always using trial and error methods by yourself, but document your success for the benefit of others.
Some have a higher level of going about things, and this enlightens others who either do not have the time or money to extrapolate data, which is far more beneficial than just trusting advertised specs translated into english.
This is a virtual meeting place to socially gain experience, not an anti-social one.
YOU can demonstrate and share YOUR interests and thinking on what you did in the hobby today, or what project you've started. Most post in a thread, how many start a thread?
This is where thousands are sharing a common interest, to grow, and experience one another's perspective through a vast array of personalities, ages, and cultures on how they express themselves, and there lies the challenge.
Are you arguing with a kid from junior high perhaps, and he brought you down to his level?
You really get offended for offensive reasons, then report the unwanted behavior. Trolls are removed.
Moderators want you to enjoy yourselves and speak to each other respectfully, as it should be.

Enjoyment in the hobby comes from within. Society online in any forum, is pretty consistent, people are people.
You'll find those that are more mature than other, and the best way to handle a thread that gets out of hand, or if you get a reply that you don't particularly agree with, you make your own choice, to rebuttal the point with more information, or simply do not respond. But people are going to give a response, that's the rules of an forum. It's an open arena and a collection of opinions and viewpoints.

The hobby offers a continuous learning experience, and the forum provides the place to find like minded people.

You don't have to be always right. let it go.

You can always learn from someone else. Believe it and think of that when you post.
Stop regretting yesterday and what a toxic person had to say. Move on. You know yourself better than a man that judges you by one forum thread. Critical behavior will follow anyone. Perhaps

You do NOT have to impress others. Humility goes a long way.
Change the way you think, because maybe the way you think now, hasn't been working for you. Perhaps the quitters have had issues long before the RCU experience in their tolerance of others? It's still with them and the atmosphere isn't going to get better on another forum. If you want the forum to smell like roses and fill a need, how about YOU start changing it? You're missing out on today if you're complaining and worry about what someone else is doing. Your happiness comes from within.
When you get there, post on RCU, I'll enjoy reading your post soon. Just like a forum starts from its humble beginnings, you can bring along a friend and build it back up. Beats PS4 games.

Last edited by J330; 08-06-2016 at 03:12 PM.
Old 12-18-2016, 09:12 PM
Mechanicaloverlord

This is Maj_Overdrive. A friend I sold some RC stuff to made this account as a joke after I told him to do some of his own research and not to bother with this place. He gave me the log in info and most of the posts have been mine. It was a fun joke but the novelty has worn off. I wasn't going to say anything when I left this time just quietly close my account but I want to point out a few things/people.

DieHarder: Thanks brother. You know I don't really go on forums to make friends, I do it to learn, help and see cool stuff. 9 times out of 10 I'm just straightforward, to the point. This works, this doesn't, here's what I suggest. Fully understanding another person's advice/knowledge, problem, question, or how they did something cool is like a point of pride for me and I put a lot into that. Glad you could see that because understanding is everything.

J330: The forum and the world would be a better place if only it were that simple. I'll do my best though. Just something to think about. If nobody complained, how would we know if there were any issues that ruined someone's enjoyment?

Ext2Rob: I still have no idea why you compared me to Trump in that thread where I reported the counterfeit Slash 4x4. You do see the forum and YouTube accounts used exclusively for promoting products and know those people get paid for it right? Same happens with illegal/counterfeit goods. The next thread that guy made in the car section was for another counterfeit product. On RCGroups the guy has reviews for well over 50 RC vehicles, all obtained from 2 places and posted in a short time frame, too short for someone not getting paid for it. I gave him the benefit of the doubt in the thread but anyone can see he's posting reviews for profit to benefit a manufacturer and/or distributor some of whose products are illegal. And I'm the bad guy? Rob I've known you to be nothing but friendly and level headed on the forums, except when it comes to politics. I had great respect for you but now I'm saddened at how much this incident and your behavior regarding politics has diminished that respect. Heck, now I wouldn't doubt it you were one of those rioting and destroying others property but I sincerely hope you didn't participate and it was just passion and frustration you were releasing on me. Even though it was totally unjustified.
Old 12-19-2016, 11:30 AM
RustyUs

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Maj/overlord...yin/yang, black/white, or up/down...it's all good.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.