Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Smartphones!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 12:21 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Smartphones!

I've been a die hard iPhone user since the first one, and have had every one until the 5a. A couple weeks ago I dropped my phone into the Sacramento river, and my friend was coming up from San Fransisco to meet me here in the the capital so I told him to pick me up a new one on his way up. Anyway, the store didn't have any so not knowing what to do he got me an LG Escape 2 instead. At first I was like *** mate I don't want any of this android crap.... But now I'm hooked. I can't believe I've let Apple deceive me all this time, I thought android was cluttered and slow, but I'm quite impressed, and the app support is amazing.

Anyway, this LG isn't bad but now I'm considering getting a Galaxy s6 Edge or a Note 4... Any thoughts?

Last edited by sheograth; 06-30-2015 at 12:30 PM.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:04 PM
Lunchboxer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go big, yo! Note 4!

I have an iPhone 6+

About the same size..
Old 06-30-2015, 08:14 PM
sheograth

Yeah if I go back to Apple it would be a 6+, as long as it fits in my pocket I want it to be as big as possible.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:56 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

EW! Mainstreams! I have a Nokia Lumia 920 running Windows 8.1 and it is amazing. I have the whole Microsoft Office on it, access to my OneDrive, and some other cool stuff, lol. I can also get free money for apps by getting a Bing miner and redeeming my points for credit on the Windows App store.
Old 07-10-2015, 06:27 PM
DieHarder

G4 ftw
Old 07-11-2015, 06:23 AM
cumminspower5.9
My Feedback: (4)

I've got the Galaxy Note 4 and love it. The stylis is quite handy, the screen is great, takes amazing pictures, and is just a great phone. I can do everything with it.
Old 07-11-2015, 04:25 PM
BrightGarden

I don't get smartphones. What apps are you all running. I have a Samsung S3, obviously I don't keep up with the latest, but unless one is a gadget guy, I don't get the buzz about smartphones. I am only happy on my 17" laptop.
I tell people - see the size of the smartphone? See the size of my laptop screen? that is about the ratio of productivity.
Weasling thru app screens is just not for me, and I think all the carriers/manufacturers are putting one over on us.
Checking email is so clunky, I don't have time to fiddle.
Just my 2c as I happened upon this discussion.

PS I am a past electronics designer, so it isn't a capabilities thing - I just think all the hullabaloo about smartphones is hype.
Old 07-12-2015, 05:53 AM
Lunchboxer

I didn't get a smartphone until late last year, so I am a slow mover in this regard.. but got to admit that smartphone is convenient.. check e-mail, chat, Facebook, taking picture, GPS (Google Map), internet, etc. with you all the time.. It is mostly for fun for me, not for work.
Old 07-13-2015, 04:13 AM
Large Larry

Originally Posted by BrightGarden
I don't get smartphones. What apps are you all running. I have a Samsung S3, obviously I don't keep up with the latest, but unless one is a gadget guy, I don't get the buzz about smartphones. I am only happy on my 17" laptop.
I tell people - see the size of the smartphone? See the size of my laptop screen? that is about the ratio of productivity.
Weasling thru app screens is just not for me, and I think all the carriers/manufacturers are putting one over on us.
Checking email is so clunky, I don't have time to fiddle.
Just my 2c as I happened upon this discussion.

PS I am a past electronics designer, so it isn't a capabilities thing - I just think all the hullabaloo about smartphones is hype.
This is so very true.

I get that they are convenient for when you're away from your computer, but I don't understand how people can use them as a primary device, and I can't stand people who get annoyed when you try and talk to them while they have their face buried in their phone, it's like "hello, I'm in the real world over here trying to interact with you in real time". I also get the whole comparing different models and stuff like that, but it also gets taken too far most of the time.

Smartphones are a handy gadget to have, I just wish people weren't so consumed by them sometimes. I'm sure my grandparents probably said the same thing when TVs became common place.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:22 AM
Foxy

Been through all the recent flagships, still prefer my Z2, will probably buy a Z3. Only Sony phones for me from now on. For me a smartphone is primarily a communication device of course, but second it's a camera, and Sony have the best cameras (in terms of features if not always in terms of sensors and lenses, eg 720p 120fps, excellent burst modes, the list goes on), the bundled software with Sony phones is mostly outstanding (Walkman, Movies (the native video player) and the Gallery are all excellent). Of course some of it is not needed, but very little of it is intrusive or childish (Samsung), the interface is slick, modern, not emotionless (LG) and most of all the thing is beautiful to look at. It's a black monolith, all glass and alloy, it represents me perfectly. I charge it on average eery 2 days and the Z3 battery is supposed to be even better. The fact that it natively supports a Dual Shock 3 wireless controller and is waterproof are both just icing on the best smartphone cake in the biz. It's a look and feel thing, how it makes you feel when you use it...no other manufacturer made me love their phone. My 2c.

P.S. Best power/standby button in the biz too, a feature all on its own, you'll see what I mean when you use one.

http://www.cnet.com/products/sony-xperia-z3-review/

Last edited by Foxy; 07-14-2015 at 09:26 AM.
Old 07-19-2015, 03:03 PM
Dirty_Vinylpusher

I use:

Desktop computer for photoediting, document typing, video editing etc

iPad for emails, forums, skype, texting other iPhones

iPhone for calls, texting and taking pics, weather app and the odd Googling on the go.

It's a generation thing.
Younger people have grown up with portable devices and have no need for a desk/laptop computer.
They are happy with basic apps and the limitations of them as compared to "full" versions.
Old 07-20-2015, 05:21 PM
sheograth

Well here's an interesting twist. The LG of mine just died. Dead. the only phone I've ever had that just died without any physical trauma. I don't blame LG, I'm sure its a fluke. AT&T replaced it no hassle, but now I'm definitely going to get something else. Probably a Galaxy S6 Edge, I like it. Overall I gotta say I'm an Android convert though.
Old 07-20-2015, 05:32 PM
sheograth

Overall it's the app store and google play thing I think. The payment system is so easy. I can pay with a card, with paypal, or even just have something thrown on my phone bill. It's much more capitalistic feeling than Apple's soviet style control over everything.

I still get irritated with some of the "clutter" and windows style bogging down that happens, but the more I learn about the system it's easy to avoid those things.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:23 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

I've gone back and forth and back and forth over the years. Currently Android because it was a better deal. I like it. They all do more things than I can ever bother with. What really matters to me is service. If I cant connect to the interwebz the freaking phone I have is pointless.
Old 08-12-2015, 05:40 PM
Kemo

Whatever you do, don't get a Motorola. I bought one YEARS ago... I've been riding the free warranty replacement wave for years now... from Droid 1 to what they have me on now, which is the Droid Maxx. I must have gone through over 12 of them altogether. While they may be strong phones, the updates from Google are the amongst the worst in the industry (thank you motorola)
Old 11-20-2015, 11:21 AM
mattster1971

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sheograth
I've been a die hard iPhone user since the first one, and have had every one until the 5a. A couple weeks ago I dropped my phone into the Sacramento river, and my friend was coming up from San Fransisco to meet me here in the the capital so I told him to pick me up a new one on his way up. Anyway, the store didn't have any so not knowing what to do he got me an LG Escape 2 instead. At first I was like *** mate I don't want any of this android crap.... But now I'm hooked. I can't believe I've let Apple deceive me all this time, I thought android was cluttered and slow, but I'm quite impressed, and the app support is amazing.

Anyway, this LG isn't bad but now I'm considering getting a Galaxy s6 Edge or a Note 4... Any thoughts?
Thats so funny, I am just the opposite. I have never had an Iphone until this month. I had always had andriods since the advent of the smart phone and recently was convinced by my son to try the Apple. I got the Iphone 6s plus and will never look back. My S3 from samsung always would snag on things, it stopped and would need restarted or it would just restart itself out of no where. I also had lots of issues with viruses which is not a problem on Apple. If you have never used an android I can see the fascination with the apps and the fact that its a bit more flexible with what you can place on the device but the operating system I found to be less than satisfactory.

RCMattster