Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

The lounge: version 5.0 2016 Edition

Old 03-08-2021, 07:37 PM
The Collector1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice, I have 1 maybe 2 running so far. I thought about models but I have no space to display them. There's nothing new that interests me in RC at the moment. I need to work on my van, it needs a new alternator.

What do you have to do with your toy?
Old 03-08-2021, 07:57 PM
suburban_hooligan

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

the full scale toy (71 VW super beetle) needs 4 new tires, a front end alignment, an engine. and i will probably have to flush the gas tank and lines. it's been sitting for 5 years...
Old 03-08-2021, 08:19 PM
The Collector1

Very nice toy, I like the older Beetle, it has personality, seems like alot of work.
Old 03-08-2021, 08:37 PM
suburban_hooligan

iv had that car sense September 1999. it was my daily driver in high school, i later went to school to learn auto body and paint and worked on it there. at one point it was a rolling shell. then i put it all back together and it was a daily driver again. then the stock engine lost comprssion on cylinders 3 and 4 and i replaced it as a daily driver (this was the end of 2014) and it's been sitting sense.
iv been slowly buying engine parts over the last 4 years. iv got engine parts coming out the wazoo right now, need to have a case machined. iv also got a new aluminum case i can build off of. kind in limbo with it at the moment. i can have my original case machined (it spun a main bearing) and i can build a 1776cc engine off of it. i already have 99% of the parts. but iv also got got an aftermarket aluminum case that i think is clearanced for a stroker crank, and if that's the case i want to build a 2110cc engine. but ill need to buy a lot more parts. so instead im doing nothing while i think about what if's... im at a breaking point and will probably end up doing both.

The following users liked this post:
The Collector1 (03-08-2021)
Old 03-08-2021, 09:34 PM
The Collector1

Very nice rebuild. Hope you can finish it. Hey I have those same Taz mats in my garage.
Old 03-09-2021, 05:04 PM
suburban_hooligan

i hope i finish it to. frankly if 2020 hadn't been such a ****show it would probably be drivable by now. those floor mats have been in there sense high school. used to have a Taz sticker in the back window to.
Old 03-09-2021, 08:08 PM
The Collector1

****show isn't the word for 2020, I think that's how long I've had my mats as well, they've been in 2 cars. I was about to put them in my Fusion but it had some heavy-duty ones in it.

If I could find a running Beetle I would buy one, I always like the old-school ones.
Old 03-09-2021, 08:31 PM
suburban_hooligan

good luck, they're getting pricy! iv been (seriously but not really) looking for 58 - 64 bug or a little over a year now. a running/driving project is around 8k these days. all air cooled VW's (except mine) are sky rocketing in value right now for some reason.
Old 03-09-2021, 08:53 PM
The Collector1

Ok that is a bit much, I think I will get my Odyssey running first, it needs an alternator, some valve cover gaskets and an oil pan gasket.
Old 03-10-2021, 05:10 PM
suburban_hooligan

meh, just get a super beetle. they may be the red headed step child of the VW world and be limited on wheel selection because of the front suspension (McPherson strut instead of torsion beam) but a solid runner is under 5k, project cars are under 2. and if you get a 71 or 72 you still get the flat windshield. only downside is if you start modifying it, it will never be worth what you've got into it. which is the boat im in.

sounds like you should just go full boostedboiz on that Odyssey. look up boostedboiz rowdyssey on youtube if you aren't familiar.
Old 03-10-2021, 07:10 PM
The Collector1

5k sounds better, I like the super beetle too an I wouldn't mod it, maybe just paint an maintenance.
As for the Odyssey, not really in to boosting the Odyssey, too much traffic an stupid traffic cameras in NYC to speed around with that large thing, its fast enough. I did hear of boostedboiz but not rowdyssey.
Old 06-11-2021, 09:55 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

Always makes me smile to come back and see the old names here. Anyways blarg