Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.
View Poll Results: A poll
Automatic transmission
19.57%
Manual transmission
80.43%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Automatic vs. Manual

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 03:08 PM
fastest_ntc3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatic vs. Manual

Automatic vs. Manual... Choose which you like best and tell why. I am learning how to drive manual and I like it better. It makes automatic seem boring.
Old 03-01-2006, 03:22 PM
losiracer753
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Automatic vs. Manual

i have a f-150 and its a manual and i learned how to drive on it so im set its not all that hard.
Old 03-01-2006, 03:35 PM
CadillacDTS2001

ya i was getting a lesson (ilegal lol ) with my shinka mazda rx8 and i had it in nutral and then i put it in revers and i let out the clutch and it was at like 3000 rpm and it felt weird cuz it was like getting punched on the chest but i tryed burning out on a old air strip and i can its so sweet but did u now they have enof power to get smoke out to 2 and almost 3rd gear!! and it is stock for now but not soon a tourbo charger is on its way and im trying to convince my parents to get a body skirt
Old 03-01-2006, 04:15 PM
A.B.U

All boils down to whatcha want..

My Trans Am is a Auto, but my Mom's S2000 is a Stick. Much easier with an auto, just brake and give it gas. With a Manual.. well it's a tad more than that. I had no problems learning to drive it, either. For a first.. i only stalled once! Hoorah for me.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:18 PM
jdmkyosho
Banned

Whoa your mom has a s2k? thats hot. Anyway driving a MT is much more fun.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:27 PM
chadchm8

I prefer (in a way) both. The drag car that i am building has a GM TH400 automatic trans. I just installed a B&M manual valve body kit in it, so i shift an automatic manually. Just no clutch. I don't care what trans i have in it, this car will be fun to drive.

PS, Motor is Big block chevy 402
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67076.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	418078   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql32809.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	418079  
Old 03-01-2006, 04:31 PM
Wisconsin Nitro

i would say manual is more for off roading and rockcrawling but i wond be doingany to extream off roading or any rockcrawling at all i dont think

im gona have to go with auto

im not old enough to drive but im close more then 75% done with being 14 and in december i can take my driving lessons

when im done with that my dads gona buy me aa posibly new chevy silverado but probably is gona be used
Old 03-01-2006, 09:20 PM
ofnaDOMINATION!

I like manual. Automatic for sissies and lefties. I was getting a lesson from my dad, also illegal, and I am really good at manual now. I don't even have my liscence, 1 year from tommorow!, and Ic an drive manual better than many of the people I know! I love driving. I need my adrenaline and driving 1/1 cars will be the third way for me to get it. Slot car racing, RC and soon driving!
Old 03-01-2006, 10:10 PM
-Inverted-

I like manual. Automatic for sissies and lefties.
Hey im a lefty... But I voted manual, auto gets boring, but if your in traffic manual is a real pain. I have also done the "illegal" driving down on my uncles private property, what fun blazing the trails in my uncles friends f-150. My uncle has a bmw m3.... [8D]
Old 03-01-2006, 11:18 PM
jdmkyosho
Banned

ORIGINAL: ofnaDOMINATION!

I like manual. Automatic for sissies and lefties. I was getting a lesson from my dad, also illegal, and I am really good at manual now. I don't even have my liscence, 1 year from tommorow!, and Ic an drive manual better than many of the people I know! I love driving. I need my adrenaline and driving 1/1 cars will be the third way for me to get it. Slot car racing, RC and soon driving!
I dont get it.....you havent even had your license yet and you say autos are for sissys? Learn how to drive first then you can make a comment like that.... if your so good at manual why/how do you rev match on downshifts?
Old 03-02-2006, 01:04 AM
gunnut

I learned to drive a stick on big international trucks at work. I loaded trucks for 2 years. It was hard because all the trucks were a little different and there sometimes aren't diagrams that say where gears are-- you gotta guess hehe. Airbrakes take a little getting used to, too. But yeah, if I had a choice I would definitely choose manual. Much more control!
Old 03-02-2006, 03:36 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Getting tired of driving a 5-speed after a while. My wife thinks that the pedal on the left is a foot rest so I've had to replace 2 clutches in my truck because of her. For traveling, it's hard to beat an automatic with cruise control.
Watch the lefties comment there bud! This can be construed as flaming or degrading and right now you're messing with a left-hander! Being left or right-handed has nothing to do with my preference. Once you've driven for twice as long as you've been on this Earth your opinion might change. With my job, I'm licensed to drive every piece of industrial equipment that the company owns except 18-wheelers.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:41 PM
FSTlosiEVR
Banned

Yea you cant beat a auto for long distance.However I still like my stick.Also downshifting is bad on the cylenders and will cost alot more to replace then brakes.You only downshift when your haulin and you see a cop.This way you can slow down fast and never light up your tail lights
Old 03-02-2006, 04:35 PM
jdmkyosho
Banned

ORIGINAL: FSTlosiEVR

Also downshifting is bad on the cylenders and will cost alot more to replace then brakes.You only downshift when your haulin and you see a cop.This way you can slow down fast and never light up your tail lights
Unless you rev match right on downshifts it ok but still id rather pay for brake pads as opposed to a new clutch.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:26 PM
NJ NETS FAN
My Feedback: (2)

I voted manual transmission...there nothing like driving then downshifting.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:24 PM
The_Collector

I prefer manual because it gives you full control. Automatic is nice for convenience. I'm neutral on this subject (no pun intended, of course [sm=bananahead.gif])
Old 03-02-2006, 10:48 PM
1CE

had my licence for almost a year now...been looking at different cars but cant decide. I like the idea of a 5 or 6 speed but i live in boca raton (lots of red lights and traffic). I drive a 4x4 Montero sport now and its fine, gets me where i wanna go and its an auto. I've driven my dad's vett and its fun, just got to get the hang of it. I want a fun little car to zip around in but not shure if i want a manual of auto...any suggestions?
Old 03-03-2006, 12:35 AM
Tigger N. Bennie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: fastest_ntc3
Automatic vs. Manual... Choose which you like best and tell why. I am learning how to drive manual and I like it better. It makes automatic seem boring.
To me it depends on the car and the type of driving mostly driven in. I also started driving on manual transmissions in snow country. In the city, I got tired of shifting gears at every street light but at least the newer autos have "cup holders".
Old 03-03-2006, 12:56 AM
FSTlosiEVR
Banned

Gotta love those cupholders?Cant leave the beer behind
Old 03-06-2006, 01:08 PM
Whoa G

Okay, who said that manual is better for rock crawling? auto is better because you don't have the clutch to deal with, and you can get a really slow crawl going without stalling or burning up the clutch. with a stick you have to rev up the motor a bit and the let the clutch out and keep your speed up, which isn't always possible when rock crawling. other than that, manual is good. usually better on gas too, because ur not losing power through a torque converter at highway speed, and the top gear is usually lower, too.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:25 PM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I voted Standard. I find it so much more amusing. Also, many of the newer cars/trucks have a lock up torque converter that prevents any slippage at highway speeds.

Ryan
Old 03-06-2006, 04:31 PM
jdmkyosho
Banned

Where SMG on this Poll.
Old 03-06-2006, 05:32 PM
Dr.ArmoMaxx

I wish all cars were manual, maybe then this damn people would stop using cell phones...
My dad thought me how to drive car when i was 12 back in Russia...back then all manual cars...man was it hard...it took me really a while to learn...over here even manuals are easier then over there...
Automatic cars are joke....even a 5 year old can drive them...
Old 03-06-2006, 06:06 PM
Whoa G

i read a story in the paper once about a 3-year-old who got in his parent's car and drove to the store because he learned how to start it and where the pedals and stuff were from his video game. of course, the car was an automatic. if it was a stick, there would be no way he could have drove it, and it would have saved a few accidents
Old 03-06-2006, 07:17 PM
A.B.U

Man.. I remmeebr when my dad took me for a drive in our yellow corvette .. it wa slike at 9:30 pm, pitch black almost, and we went up to burger king... Here we have the cities longest straight with no lights for like 2 miles, or so, and he just james the hell outta it, and i owuld say he was kinda late on some shifiting.. But.. nothing like hearin good ole american muscle windin' up in a super fast drag style take off.. [8D]

It was like 3 years ago.. and ill admit i was slightly freaked out.. LOL. Cause someone almost hit us. [:-]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.