Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Getting a new guitar, help me pick.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 12:18 AM
jakjr
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting a new guitar, help me pick.

I got paid today and now have about $400 saved up to blow on whatever, I am planning on getting a new guitar when I get the money.

Here's the ones I'm looking at, I like them all but can't decide, I know there are a number of guitar players here so maybe yall can give me your opinons and help sway my decision....

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ric?sku=518350
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ric?sku=518234
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ric?sku=517674
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ric?sku=517346 (this is more than I wanted to spend but I do like it and don't mind dropping the $$$ on a quality item)

I'm leaning towards the firebird studio because I've always liked the the firebird V (it's too expensive).
Old 03-16-2006, 12:43 AM
gunnut

Default RE: Getting a new guitar, help me pick.

If you have a guitar center or something nearby, go try out a schecter. I absolutely love my schecter. It plays great. I hadn't even considered getting a schecter, I was actually looking at effects pedals and grabbed the nearest guitar... I was like "dang this thing is nice" I ended up buying it that day! it was an impulse buy but I did not regret it.
here's a link
[link=http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Electric?sku=513010]schecter c1 +[/link]
I put a pair of seymour duncan humbuckers on there and that was a nice upgrade.
here's the same guitar with seymour duncans already installed! [link=http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Electric?sku=513072]Schecter C1 classic[/link]

Give them a look, I like my schecter more than my friend's epiphone les paul
Old 03-16-2006, 01:12 AM
jakjr

Hmm, I never really thought about a schecter, the guy I work with has a c-1 though and he seems to like his, maybe I'll give his a try one day.

The one with the vine inlays does look very nice.
Old 03-16-2006, 04:36 PM
ssj2

According to my friend, he suggests to get the Gibson Les Paul. Its a good quality guitar he says. Thanks Tom, and good luck from me!
Old 03-16-2006, 04:53 PM
rcmaster123
My Feedback: (3)

honestly, none of those
Old 03-16-2006, 06:14 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

jakjr, you're asking in the wrong forum. Go into our "Teacher's Lounge" and ask. One of the other Mod's can get you some good prices on guitars.
Old 03-16-2006, 06:43 PM
Whoa G

Yep, That's what i got, Epi Les Paul Limited Edition, transparent blue. the pickups are a little cold for my liking, but a set of EMG HZs would do the trick i think. Can't go wrong with Epi or Gibson (of course). i won't buy anything else. what amp do you have, because you never plug a Gibson into anything but a Marshall - ever
Old 03-16-2006, 06:57 PM
Ron Olson

I don't know about that. My wife has a vintage Gibson that is just about as old as she is (48) and has a Gibson tube amp to go with it.
Gibson has gone downhill since they moved out of town. Their old factory is really close to where I work, I can look out the dock and see the building.
Old 03-16-2006, 07:06 PM
gunnut

I use a mesa boogie dual rectifier with my schecter. I think the gibsons are a little overpriced. Sure they're considered an "icon" and I respect that, I think they're beautiful guitars. I love PRS guitars too, they're expensive but more worth it than a gibson IMO.
Old 03-19-2006, 08:24 PM
Whoa G

Okay, so under extenuating circumstances, you may plug a Gibson into something other than a Marshall, but I think that is one of the best sounds you can get in the music world. I can go from a good, balanced clean to a Heavy Distorion to a Dirty Blues tone and everything in between with my setup: Epi -> Marshall. Nothing in between. I think Gibson is a little overpriced, but you get a name too, which is why I bought an Epiphone for half the price of the same Guitar as a Gibson. at the same time, PRS is way more overpriced than Gibson is - the cheapest I've ever seen one for is the Tremonti SE for $899 when it first came out. to get a good one, you have to spend at least $1500. With Gibson, you'll get a comparable quality guitar for $500 less.

Wait a minute, did anyone ask this guy what style he plays? maybe you should tell us first what kind of music you play, and what amp(s) you have. this will help us give you better advice.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:43 PM
PillowPants

You can't go wrong with any gibson or fender!
Old 03-20-2006, 03:37 PM
Speedmunkey
Banned

Sure you can go wrong with Gibson. Gibson's QC has gone to crap, and their prices have gone to the moon.

You want a great 2 humbucker, set neck mahogany body maple topped guitar for around $500? Look no further.......

Yes it is Korean made, but that means a lot more than it used to. I have one and it's a great axe. Don't be so hung up on PRS and Gibson, both are way overpriced for what you get. Hell, even a Carvin CT is a better bargain.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:28 PM
Ron Olson

Yep, Gibson's quality has gone down the toilet since they left town. Some of their craftsmen are still around and started a small company called Heritage Guitars.
Old 03-20-2006, 06:28 PM
Speedmunkey
Banned

I've got a Heritage dealer near me and I've played them quite a few times. They look great, but they just don't DO it for me.
Old 03-20-2006, 07:52 PM
PillowPants

I have an older Fender Highway One American strat.. STILL my favorite guitar.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:55 PM
Speedmunkey
Banned

I suggested the one I did based on the ones he linked to. It shares the same construction and body woods. If, however, a bolt on is being considered, then I STRONLY agree with a Highway 1 strat. US made, in the style of the original strats. It's a nitro finish, which means it won't have that high gloass, dipped in plastic look of other strats. Some people like that, some people don't. Really you have to hold one to decide. My best advice is to go to Guitar Center, hold every guitar you like, then check the model and price. Then find the model of that guitar series that is in your price range. Gibson offers Les Pauls from $100 (Epiphone Les Paul Special II) to $6000 (Gibson Jimmy Page model) so if you find you do love a Les Paul, they'll have one to fit whatever your budget is. Do try the Ibanez I showed you though. It's a great guitar, on par with any Schecter, and quite impressive compared to a PRS or Gibson, at any price.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:27 PM
IBrakeForNobody
My Feedback: (16)

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson

jakjr, you're asking in the wrong forum. Go into our "Teacher's Lounge" and ask. One of the other Mod's can get you some good prices on guitars.
What's that? Is that some, "Moderators Only" forum or something?
Old 03-20-2006, 10:57 PM
PillowPants

ORIGINAL: Speedmunkey

I suggested the one I did based on the ones he linked to. It shares the same construction and body woods. If, however, a bolt on is being considered, then I STRONLY agree with a Highway 1 strat. US made, in the style of the original strats. It's a nitro finish, which means it won't have that high gloass, dipped in plastic look of other strats. Some people like that, some people don't. Really you have to hold one to decide. My best advice is to go to Guitar Center, hold every guitar you like, then check the model and price. Then find the model of that guitar series that is in your price range. Gibson offers Les Pauls from $100 (Epiphone Les Paul Special II) to $6000 (Gibson Jimmy Page model) so if you find you do love a Les Paul, they'll have one to fit whatever your budget is. Do try the Ibanez I showed you though. It's a great guitar, on par with any Schecter, and quite impressive compared to a PRS or Gibson, at any price.
It's a great guitar. Probably worth a lot of cash.. I'd never sell it though.

Old 03-21-2006, 12:11 AM
-Inverted-

What's that? Is that some, "Moderators Only" forum or something?
You didnt know that....
Old 03-21-2006, 12:35 AM
Kapraxis

Well, I mean man, what do ya play?

For Rock n Blues Fender and Gibson hit the mark

But For Metal, wich is what I play, BC Rich makes some sweet guitars, same with ESP(KH-202) and Ibanez(RG)

Plus, the amp you get can really affect the sound. I mean, an old Squier can sound good through a marshall half stack.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:48 AM
Whoa G

If you're really into metal, then an Ibanez Seven-string would be a good option too
Old 03-25-2006, 01:56 AM
jakjr

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I've thought about this long and hard, and after playing a few of the guitars I was looking at I have changed my mind. Right now my guitar of choice is the Fender Showmaster with dual humbuckers and a quilted top.

The problem is, I am also looking into buying my friends truck (real truck, not r/c) and the price of the guitar ($630 give or take depending on who I get it from) will take care of over 10% of the price of the truck so I'm thinking I might hold off on getting a new guitar for a while.
Old 03-25-2006, 03:47 PM
hamburger44

save up and get a gibson SG, the best ever!
Old 03-25-2006, 08:23 PM
jakjr

Already have one
Old 03-27-2006, 01:09 AM
Kapraxis

If you could stand it check ebay for used guitars. Yah, they won't be the total shiney, but as a status symble its fine, and the sound isn't going to change on you. Most are in pretty good shape, and they usually knock at least a hundred off the base price. that way the percent of said truck isn't as significant