Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Need help? Computer geek at your service

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 11:52 AM
KamikazeParanoia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help? Computer geek at your service

This forum and its members have helped me out so much with my new FG aswell as other RCs and i want to return the favor any way i can, if anyone has any problems with their computers from missing shortcuts to virus' to computer games to hardware etc just let me know and i can most likely help [10 years experience ] no problem too big or too small, id be glad to help
Old 08-05-2006, 12:05 PM
radio_controlled_mad

Default RE: Need help? Computer geek at your service

pc modding is one of my other intrests along with r/c.....heres one i built earlier
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37106.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	502027  
Old 08-05-2006, 12:48 PM
KamikazeParanoia

coolermaster jet 7 hsf?

akasa case or custom?

veeery nice [8D]
Old 08-05-2006, 12:53 PM
KamikazeParanoia

what temps you get with all those fans? must be loooud??

my net pc is an Antec P180 with sythe heat sink on a p4 3ghz (800fsb), 100% passive cooling (cpu gpu northbridge psu [Antec phantom 500watt hybrid] etc) 3 x 9DB 120mm fans and thas 9DB before the soundproofing[&:]

dont get me started on my gamer, its worth twice my FG [X(][:-]
Old 08-05-2006, 01:02 PM
radio_controlled_mad

its an akasa case,p4 3.2 800fsb(prescott),2gb kingston hyper x ,i built it a while ago - you can never keep upto date with pc hardware they go out of spec as soon as you buy them,there aint that much fan noise as the acrylic is thick - bit of a dust trap though with the fans pulling in crap - needs taking apart/cleaning all the time
Old 08-05-2006, 01:12 PM
ProRCRacer88

Im glad I know who to come to when im having problems with my pc, rather to call some1 and pay them to do somthing that probably aint worth the money. RCMad, i seen that car on the front page of this site, i liked it so much that i had it as my background on my pc a few times. How much money you have tied up in it? Is it a shelf queen?
Old 08-05-2006, 01:20 PM
Automan

Just wanna add some wood to the fire My "old" gaming machine that im going to upgrade soon, has a water cooling system costing like 1 and 1/2 fg monster truck, corvette radiators and two big massive transformers at around 1000watt to operate the cooling transfer of cpu and gpu only then a real big one for the rest, and that is just a tiny bit of the iceberg Computers where a big hobby for me a while back, and still is interesting but not as much as before though.
Old 08-05-2006, 01:20 PM
radio_controlled_mad

the car cost around £2500 in total (i think),apart from the alloy the radio gear and brakes took a large chunk,built it up over a year or so getting parts from all over...was a shelf queen for a few months but now use it all the time.
Old 08-05-2006, 01:25 PM
radio_controlled_mad

ORIGINAL: Automan

Just wanna add some wood to the fire My "old" gaming machine that im going to upgrade soon, has a water cooling system costing like 1 and 1/2 fg monster truck, corvette radiators and two big massive transformers at around 1000watt to operate the cooling transfer of cpu and gpu only then a real big one for the rest, and that is just a tiny bit of the iceberg Computers where a big hobby for me a while back, and still is interesting but not as much as before though.
i wanted watercooling in the system i have now when i 1st built it,wernt you worried it would leak lol
Old 08-05-2006, 01:30 PM
KamikazeParanoia

please tell me you're joking [sm=eek.gif]
Old 08-05-2006, 01:34 PM
KamikazeParanoia

you can never keep upto date with pc hardware they go out of spec as soon as you buy them
couldnt agree more! my amd dual core 3800+ was £240 when i got it at xmas '06, its £90 now [sm=angry.gif]
Old 08-05-2006, 01:38 PM
KamikazeParanoia

RCMad, i heard that pantyhose make good air filters

i wanted watercooling in the system i have now when i 1st built it,wernt you worried it would leak lol
i wouldnt go watercooling unless you were going to overclock like crazy, or have too much money and want a 0DB system (still gunna have the noise of the water pump..)

my Antec system is more than quiet enough!! i have to check the LED to make sure its on i couldnt sleep for weeks after because i was used to the dull hum of my previous system[&:]
Old 08-05-2006, 01:48 PM
q8murder

i like biulding pc i build 5 and sold them soo far i stoped building them last year because there was soo much stuff everything is better than the other my last pc was when ddr2 first came out and i had 2gb

rc mad use outerwears!!
Old 08-05-2006, 01:56 PM
Automan

ORIGINAL: radio_controlled_mad

R C M, No worries at all. I was worried in the very beginning of leaks, but if you are careful and think hard on what material to use and how to use it, then its solid and works great. Im putting in a new water cooling system in the new computer im getting in a few months.. just before christmas i guess.

Im not joking KamikazeP, it do cost money if you want a good system and not that cheap rtr watercooling stuff that dont cool anything down.

Yeah.. you all got that right, you buy the latest fastest stuff, when you get it home and installed it's old and new better stuff is out there... neverending story
Old 08-05-2006, 02:59 PM
tizdaz

I have a liquid cooled solar, powered, motion detectection all singing kick***** zx48k+3! \o/

if you know what a zx48k+3 is then your an old git like me :P

ok jokes aside ...

one of my current sys's is a shuttleX that i built, p4 3.2 prescott 2gig twinned mem with a semi decent gfx card... the one thing i was worried about was cooling as shuttles (in the past) had a tendancy to over heat alot, but the newer designs seem alot better, i aint had any probs with over heating & its that quiet when running you can hear a pin drop

in the past ive built towers etc, but i like the look of shuttles... my lil black box sits neatly on my desk taking up next to no space

only problem is now, i have a 19" CRT monitor that looks like a fkin breeze block sitting on my desk... giv flat screen plz! :P
Old 08-05-2006, 03:22 PM
Automan

Have flat tft and replacing my other crt soon, even if they are the best available i just got to get more tft as they are so nice.... tft was crap in my opinion over a year ago, now they are just perfect [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 08-06-2006, 07:51 AM
KamikazeParanoia

i have a 19" CRT, 17" CRT, 17" TFT (as big as a 19" CRT..) and a 28" widescreen on tv-out

they're 2 per PC at the moment (netsys and gamer) but i wanna sort out a KVM and dual SLI cards (SLI desabled) to run upto 4 on either computer without swapping a single wire wish me luck

i like my TFT for gaming but prefer the CRT (or TV ) for films
Old 08-07-2006, 06:37 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I just about contacted you earlier, I finally got high-speed interent service today and it's been a pain in the wazoo so far. I was told by a neighbor that the modem has to get used for a while before it starts acting right. At times it's been slower than dial-up now it looks like it's finally getting up to speed.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:12 AM
J_D

breaking in ur modem, haha.....
Old 08-08-2006, 12:15 AM
J_D

ORIGINAL: KamikazeParanoia

my Antec system is more than quiet enough!! i have to check the LED to make sure its on i couldnt sleep for weeks after because i was used to the dull hum of my previous system[&:]
thats one thing i dont understand about u computery ppl.... why do u leave ur computer on all night, and all day when ur not home.... isnt that a waste of power...
Old 08-08-2006, 12:51 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

This new setup has been nothing but a pain in the wazoo so far. I had to call cunstomer support tonight when it went on the fritz. I'm having problems with the RF signal and are sending a repairperson over tomorrow to check it out. It could be that the modem is used or refurbished and I got a clunker. It's a good thing that my wife didn't get phone service for the dial-up yet as I had to use that up until a minute ago.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:40 AM
Dr.ArmoMaxx

w00t... i'm gonna show off [8D]

But glad to see FG owner...german engineering FTW

Thermaltake v5000d case
Dell 2405 24" LCD
Antec 480W
Asus 925x Mobo
Intel P4 3.4 @ 3.9
Corsair 2GB DDR2-4200
Evga 7900GTX 512MB
Maxtor 120GB HD
Logitech MX510 mouse
Logitech Z-2300 speakers
Zalman CPU cooler
etc.

Oh and 50" Vizio P50 Plasma + PC is pure heaven

And almost forgot...to make thing even more worth a while...i made the desk my self

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh17008.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	503909   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65438.jpg
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	503910   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd83640.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	503911   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jc85559.jpg
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	503912   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qb38166.jpg
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	503913   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pg62851.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	503914   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xz54633.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	503915   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hg21173.jpg
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	503916  

Old 08-08-2006, 07:18 AM
gerwen

ORIGINAL: J_D
thats one thing i dont understand about u computery ppl.... why do u leave ur computer on all night, and all day when ur not home.... isnt that a waste of power...
Sure it's a waste of power, but a computer that isn't doing anything, and has the monitor on sleep mode, probably doesn't pull much more power than a light bulb.

#1 reason to leave it on is convenience. You don't have to wait for it to boot to do something when you walk over and sit down.

The other reason is that some believe constant power cycling of the computer is more stressfull than leaving it on all the time. Cycles of on and off, create cycles of heating and cooling which can cause components to expand and contract. This can be physically harder on the components than constantly being at a higher temp. It can also cause something called chip creep, where IC's creep out of their sockets because of the constant temp cycling.

There are opponents of the practice who will tell you that it is worse to leave it on all the time. I don't know who is right, but i can tell you that in my experience (in the field) most hardware failures show up when you power cycle the computer. Working when you turned it off, not working when you turned it back on.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:56 AM
J_D

still sounds kinda nutty to me, to leave it on 24/7. when it only takes 1 min to boot up.

dunno bout the heat cycle thing though......
Old 08-08-2006, 01:15 PM
*Nitstklr72*

oh Im the first person with a problem i need help l getting a file converter i need to convert .pow files to .wmv

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.