Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

How it All started

Old 11-27-2006, 10:53 PM
-EXTRA-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How it All started

Ok i was intereted in how yall got into r/c and approched your parents about getting one with me it was i have always wanted one but didnt bother with it cause i knew they were so expensive but then all my friends were getting them so i knew i had to get one then no doubt so i asked and my mom said mabey then she said how much is it she said dream on son i was like dang so i kept sayin it be my christmas and bday for 2 years and finally my parents got me one and then came the tmaxx 3.3 but i still get stuff for bday and christmas thank god so whats yalls storys
Old 11-27-2006, 10:58 PM
So Cal

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: How it All started

I got a zip zap..then to a xmod then to a nitro x-cellerator....the zipzap was a x-mas present from my grandpa then my buddy got a xmod so i had to get one. then he got a revo so i had to get a nitro car..and now here i am.....no money..and when i have money its gone in an hour or so.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:12 PM
-EXTRA-

Sounds bout like me all my money goes into r/c now but wouldnt have it no other way
Old 11-27-2006, 11:12 PM
smaxx3.3

well i wanted a hpi mt2, but my dad said a little expensive so i lost all hope. but x-mas morning i had a elctric rustler sitting there. well i got bored of that quikly so i started saving up money and in about 2 years i could affored my s-maxx. and now i am about to get a aftershock (i think) this x-mas.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:15 PM
-EXTRA-

Sweet smaxx im getting tmaxx hop ups
Old 11-27-2006, 11:25 PM
R/C fan-addict

well I got a HPI dash from my mom a couple years ago cause she wanted to buy a porsche R/C since I really like porsches and R/C's. Then I really liked it and asked where she got it so that I could buy myself another so that I could race with my friends. Thereby I discovered speedmart. Soon the tower catalogs arrived every month and I had my eyes set on a savage. I saved up forever, and convinced my dad to let my buy it, and in the end he said it could be our hobby and he'd buy the truck for me like that! You can imagine how happy I was! lol Well I didn't really expect how much work nitro was going to be and at first I didn't like it cause I could never get it running, along came the emaxx. Then I got both running and had a blast, but I wanted a faster onroad so for xmas I got a TA05. Then the speed demon (me!) wanted more speed so a BL system got dropped in. I mostly use my emaxx for on road and my savage for grass and backyard bashing and then LB posted a link to a TLT for $70 shipped so I had to get it! So now I have a stretch TLT trail rig for woods and snow bashing. For this xmas I hope to get a kyosho blizzard EP (it's one of those snow cats!)
Old 11-27-2006, 11:59 PM
SpeedAddict

I didn't approach them about it. I didn't know, they got me an electric Rustler for my birthday. Now I bet they wish they hadn't!! LOL!! My mom wishes she hadn't, my dad wants his own Savage X now!!

BTW, why is everyone afraid to type Christmas???? Just seems like no one does.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:41 AM
BXMaxx

ORIGINAL: SpeedAddict

I didn't approach them about it. I didn't know, they got me an electric Rustler for my birthday. Now I bet they wish they hadn't!! LOL!! My mom wishes she hadn't, my dad wants his own Savage X now!!

BTW, why is everyone afraid to type Christmas???? Just seems like no one does.
mine was sorta like this except my dad had always wanted one so one day he comes home with a tmaxx. From than we got a few more but now he really regrets introducing me into this hobbie lol almost most my money from 9 to 15 has been spent on this mp3 players and food lol
Old 11-28-2006, 06:39 AM
J_D

i bought a crappy $20 rc car off ebay just for the fun of it.

then it broke....

then i got a crappy $200 nitro MT truck off ebay (chinese junk)

then i got sick of that and got a nitro on roader.... then got sick of nitro all together

so then i bought a $1000 1/5th car (smartech traveller) and enjoyed that for a while, then sold it

now i have $1600 1/5th car (Fg Marder) and have just spent about $5000 on full alloy upgrades, hydraulic disc brakes, and engine modifiactions.

... all from a $20 toy 12 months ago.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:34 AM
bigbadbowtie

I started with a Losi NXT back in the early 90's and have had a number of offroad,onroad,electric and nitro. I have raced indoor,outdoor,offroad,dirtoval,paved oval. As far as what I have spent on RC over the years... I don't even want to know.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:01 PM
-EXTRA-

Sounds like some good storys but really what happen with me before i got seriously into r/c i pulled my dads old kyosho Ultimas (20years old)Out of our shed and ask if he would mind getting them running so me and him could drive one was his one was my grandpas they use to race so we got them all running he took the racing motor outa mine and put a 27 turn in it i didnt know it was at the time but i knew it was slow as CHRISTMAS so after christmas that year i just kinda 4got bout it and 2 years later my dad got a tmaxx and i told my friend that i like r/c that got him and his dad into it so then i knew i had to get one doing everything i could by cleaning the house everyday to working in the yard and looking at it on the internet and leaving the page up so my parents could scroll by it while walking by so in the end by tmaxx 3.3 was born bu last christmas i got a nitro airplane and thats where r/c planes started
Old 11-28-2006, 07:20 PM
silent_echo

i started out by always wanting an rc car, but i was never amused with the 20$ walmart crap, then a guy down my street got a nitro car, i never even knew high quality rc stuff exsited until then. so i saved up some $$ and finally my parents got me an hpi rs4 3 ss kit, i had to buy the rest, radio batteries and so on. and then i was hooked.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:38 PM
savage haley 14

ive always liked rcs ever since i was about 3 yrs old but it was all the walmart junk i got for christmas and my birthday and stuff. until my before my b-day one year i walked into a walmart and i saw an rcdriver magazine i thought the magazine was about the crap they sell at the walmart until i picked it up and opened it and looked at the review for the sportwerks mayhem i looked at the stats and it said it went 45 mph i said to myself "ya i bet my sweet- ***** tyco grave digger goes that fast plus its bigger" (you all know that you use to think cheapos went like 40 mph and you cant say that you didnt when you would get a new one for christmas and you drove it you said to your parents "hey mom look at this it goes 50 mph") and then i saw a mini t ad in the magazine and i wanted one relly bad so i thought to myself hey my b-days next week ill have my parents get me one for my b-day and i have been hooked since i know own a nitro rs4 3 18s, a revo 2.5 w/3.3 motor, and a savage x with over 600 dollars into it.

just to let you know i dont listen to crappy rap i listen to nirvana and lynyrd skynyrd
Old 11-28-2006, 08:39 PM
-EXTRA-

nice sounds cool
Old 12-04-2006, 06:27 PM
hands without shadows

I always liked rc but the walmart wasnt good enough. Then someone at school showed me real rc exists, I was set on buying a savage but I could never set myself on spending all that money (Dutch lol). Then one night I was at a friends and I saw a nitro st in his garage, so we talked about it and told me he was planning on buying a mini. He bought an rc 18t and I got a mini t. I hate the mini t, its all blinged out sitting on my shelf and every time I drive it it breaks. I moved on to 1/10th scale and I love it.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:18 PM
TeamTFR
My Feedback: (45)

I kinda got started in rc when me and a friend found an old modded Clod Buster and a Sledgehammer on a shelf in an old building that my parents owned. My friend bought them off me a while later and I was basically out of rc until 4 years ago when I needed a new battery pack for a Radio Shack rc and the only place open happened to be the lhs/ race track...so my dad ended up buying me an e TC3 to race...then I wanted a nitro car...then an mt...and so on...
Old 12-04-2006, 10:44 PM
ScRacing

All i remember was walking through the mall when i was like 4, and every thing was anoying, boring, or to nice to have, and then i seen some HUGE monster truck that was bigger then me at some store that would later be the deposit of a good $5000 over the years.... Ahhh, good times, good times.... Atleast i bet thats what all the owners of lhs are saying.
Old 12-05-2006, 12:17 AM
Bombers_410

when i was 13 i had to buy my first zig zag racer boat after working for the neighbors for a few weeks. When i was 15 i bought an electric stampede. later on when i was 15, my parents got me a wave shark electric boat. 16, i bought my first nitro buggy. I thought about asking my parents for stuff but they are so cheap and never buy crap. So i have to buy everything by myself. I get a lecture from my dad everything i buy something, he says that its a waste of money and i should save money for more important stuff.... So far i've probably spent $1000-1500 in rc.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:59 PM
-EXTRA-

LOL yea sounds cool
Old 12-06-2006, 08:49 PM
ProRCRacer88

I always had the little radioshack/toy r us rc cars back in the days when I was little, then one day I was in the store and saw a nitro rc book, knew I had to get me one of them. When I got started in this hobby when I brought a duratrax truck(cost 350 dollars), boy do I regrete it everytime I think about it. I broke in the engine just like they said in the movie and ran it good for about 2 weeks and next thing i no the engine starts to run funny and it just shut off and never started up again.[:@][&:] Plus before that happened the transmission would losin up in some places, I probably should have rebuilt it using loc-tite, but I wasnt thinking about that when I got it because I wasnt expecting that to happen, I was only about 14-15. So I put the thing in my little closet on the entertainment center. Later, I decided I wanted to try the hobby again, this time with an onroad car, so called up schumacher and they sent me the fusion21, had nothing but smiles everytime I drive the thing and the engine starts up in about 1-2 seconds(not exagerrating) and I replaced maybe 3 glowplugs and had it for more than 3 years. Some people say its weak and breaks easily, but I have had alot of flips and roll-overs and broke little or no parts at all. Then came the serpent950R, 2 more fusions, and a tmaxx project I have.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:25 PM
rcdude37

well a few years ago i was looking through a magazine or something and found a nitro plane, soon after i was flying solo, then crashed and it took a good month to get back up and going again, then one day in school i was looking at tower and a friend saw a truck and from then on we were just wanting one... that summer i went camping with my parrents and a guy up the street had a t-maxx, so i went and started talking to him about it, found out he had an on road nitro, and another truck... he let me drive his t-maxx, thats enough said! ealry the next summer mine showed up at my front door, i do remember ordering it, seemed like nobody had any in stock at the time, it was right after the 2.5 came out so i found a place on the internet and it said they had 3 left in stock...
and so the cheaper hobby of planes soon became to long and expensive so i got into trucks, i think i went backwards, and now have a 2000 dollar t-maxx and a nitro rstler with 3 nitro and 1 electric plane...
Old 12-07-2006, 03:36 AM
Dr.ArmoMaxx

When i was a lil kid i always dreamed of having RC car but gas powered since i had many RC cars that were electric

gowing up in the other part of the world nowhere i could find one, but i did manage to find a russian made nitro airplane engine and i paid big money for it and it was used, but then i could never get it working because there was no nitro fuel

But as soon as i came here, the first thing i did is search 'gas car' on internet and thats when i bought my first gas car...a tmaxx

Then bought many others, etc etc, but right now i sold everything, but i have Futaba 3pk HRS radio system with digital servos sitting in the closet...hopefully soon i will get a new rc car
Old 12-08-2006, 03:04 PM
dark321devil

My uncle flew nitro planes before. For christmas he told my dad to buy me an electric from towerhobbies.com. Back when i was like 10-11 years old. Then i upgraded myself to nitro when i became older.