Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

SEVERE WEATHER THREAD!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 09:25 PM
Checkpointracer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SEVERE WEATHER THREAD!!!!!!!

Just want to see if anyone has had encounters with hurracanes, tornados, or anything else that relates.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:18 PM
Bombers_410

Default RE: SEVERE WEATHER THREAD!!!!!!!

I've seen a few sand tornados on a basebal diamond, they were only like 30 feet high and about 40 mph spin velocity though lol.

I cant really remember that much, nothing severe though.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:28 PM
corona672

the worst ive been through was only like a f-2 tornadoe and a couple big snowstorms...
Old 02-14-2007, 10:34 PM
Wide Open

over here can get interesting. seeing a mile high wall of dust moving at you can be scary. also, our thunderstorms can get REALLY bad and then theres flash floods all over. i remember a couple of summers ago lightning jumped clouds above our house and it was so violent it shook pictures off the wall even though the lightning didnt touch the ground. but thats about as bad as it gets here.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:44 PM
Kevinator9

We get pathetic weather here really. The worst I've seen is a water spout out by Rangitoto Island.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:44 PM
wst50

Umm... I saw the start of a funnel cloud, so I went to get the camera. By the time I got back it had gone. There was a dudey bit of lightning once. It cracked right above my head (it seemed). I nearly shat myself (I live near the top of a hill)
Old 02-15-2007, 12:57 PM
Lightfoot
My Feedback: (1)

I saw one tornado when I was a kid but it was many miles away, just the way I like it.

I have been through a number of hurricanes but none of them really bad. I went to the Mississippi Gulf Coast just 3 days after Katrina hit. The devastation was incredible, almost impossible to believe even riding around and seeing it, entire towns completely gone. I still have [link=http://aftermath.shutterfly.com/action/pictures?a=67b0de21b3336b5f05c8]pictures[/link] available that we took there but they don't show the worst areas that we went to.
Old 02-15-2007, 05:42 PM
Checkpointracer

We've had a few tornado warnings the last couple summers here, but I've never seen one,[&:]. I know what you mean about sever thunderstorms in mesa Wide Open, in gold canyon (maybe you know where that is, about 20 miles from mesa) We had one of the worst thunderstorms I've been in.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:21 PM
Wide Open

ORIGINAL: p2k2racer
I know what you mean about sever thunderstorms in mesa Wide Open, in gold canyon (maybe you know where that is, about 20 miles from mesa) We had one of the worst thunderstorms I've been in.
yeah, i certainly know where youre talking about. pretty crazy stuff, huh?
Old 02-15-2007, 08:56 PM
Checkpointracer

I'm suprised we didn't have a tornado that day lol!
Old 02-17-2007, 12:47 AM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

We have LOTS of snow here, I've seen my car buried overnight but we're used to it.
I've only seen one tornado and really don't want to see another, thank you.
May 13, 1980 was the day and was with a co-worker while he was picking up his truck from a body shop. On the way to the shop we drove through downtown and it was really eerie, so dark at 4:00 PM with black skies and the street lights on. I was standing outside of the shop while he was getting the paperwork finished and saw it drop out of the sky. We took off out of there and from where I was standing, I was worried about my home. We got back and picked up his truck and made the drive back to my place. A normal 15 minute drive took us over 45 minutes to wind around all of the destruction. Six people were killed that day, one in a laundromat and the others when a wall at a store in the city collapsed. The tornado missed the hospital by one block somehow.
After seeing what Katrina and other hurricanes, floods and tornadoes have done, we don't complain about a little snow.
I still get goosebumps now whenever there is just a tornado watch is issued.
Old 02-17-2007, 01:19 AM
-Inverted-

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson

We have LOTS of snow here, I've seen my car buried overnight but we're used to it.
I've only seen one tornado and really don't want to see another, thank you.
May 13, 1980 was the day and was with a co-worker while he was picking up his truck from a body shop. On the way to the shop we drove through downtown and it was really eerie, so dark at 4:00 PM with black skies and the street lights on. I was standing outside of the shop while he was getting the paperwork finished and saw it drop out of the sky. We took off out of there and from where I was standing, I was worried about my home. We got back and picked up his truck and made the drive back to my place. A normal 15 minute drive took us over 45 minutes to wind around all of the destruction. Six people were killed that day, one in a laundromat and the others when a wall at a store in the city collapsed. The tornado missed the hospital by one block somehow.
After seeing what Katrina and other hurricanes, floods and tornadoes have done, we don't complain about a little snow.
I still get goosebumps now whenever there is just a tornado watch is issued.
Ron I was born and raised in St. Louis so I know all about Tornado's and boy are they scary. I remember me and my mom running downstairs countless times preparing for the worst. Luckily we never were hit, but we did have some CLOSE calls for sure.
Old 02-17-2007, 01:28 AM
vertigo72480

I live in St. Louis. We had a heck of a spring / summer season this year. Mid July we had 1,000,000 plus people with out power due to severe thunderstorms and tornadoes. I'm am a Ham radio operator and actually take the time to spot this stuff. Amateur radio allows me and others like me to relay information regarding the weather and its results back to the National Weather Service and so forth.
Old 02-17-2007, 01:32 AM
-Inverted-

ORIGINAL: vertigo72480

I live in St. Louis. We had a heck of a spring / summer season this year. Mid July we had 1,000,000 plus people with out power due to severe thunderstorms and tornadoes. I'm am a Ham radio operator and actually take the time to spot this stuff. Amateur radio allows me and others like me to relay information regarding the weather and its results back to the National Weather Service and so forth.
The power outages were bad. I was out visiting my uncles in California, and my Grandma who still lives in St. Louis flew out too. All her food was destroyed due to the power outage.
Old 02-17-2007, 01:32 AM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

We have a simliar thing going on in this area with amateur radio operators called Sky Watch. When severe weather watches are issued, they are out on the roads looking for approaching weather systems and report them in. One of my R/C'ing buddies is involved with them.

Power outages are something that I'm always preapred for as it's almost a given where I live. My neighborhood gets knocked out at least once a year. The worst was for 7 days after a New Years Eve ice storm. We stayed in our house the whole time with lots of candles and my furnace worked the whole time. It's one of those ancient "Octopus" looking ones that uses very little power to work it. It has a transformer that holds some juice in it and has no blower but heats the crib pretty well. I keep wanting to replace it but it's efficient for an old thing and dependable. We were the only ones on the street that stayed around the whole time. Neighbors would stop by to see if they had power yet and would go into their homes after seeing mine all lit up and find that theirs was still without power.
Old 02-17-2007, 01:36 AM
-Inverted-

Strange thing for me, as scared as I am of Tornado's, I have always wanted to go on one of those chase tours and actually see them in person. I feel the same way about snakes, I think snakes are fascinating, but all my trips to the Meramec and Gasconade tend to disagree!
Old 02-17-2007, 01:53 AM
vertigo72480

I've got a buddy who graduated from the University of Missouri - Columbia, with a meterology degree, who ran the chase team at the school. He has some awesome videos of storms and tornadoes that he's chased. Me, I've only had the luck to see street flooding an transformers blow up. But I've had fun doing it. BTW I've also got some meterology training, and training from the NWS, but no degree. So I have some knowledge as to how to stay safe. I'll tell you what, it's nothing like the movie Twister. Good movie, but not a documentary.
Old 02-17-2007, 12:29 PM
Doahh

Last year we ALMOST had a tornado touch down in Sacremento California... That was kinda a shocker because I'd never expect it to happen
Old 02-17-2007, 02:32 PM
Checkpointracer

A next door neighbor said that she saw a funel cloud coming right to are house one night![X(] not suprised though, there where tornado WARNINGS out all over western MN that night.
Old 02-17-2007, 02:46 PM
wst50

I'll tell you what, it's nothing like the movie Twister. Good movie, but not a documentary.
I loved that film when I first saw it. I was 6 at the time

Strange really. Great Britain has more tornadoes per year than Tornado Alley, their just so weak they don't often appear in the news
Old 02-17-2007, 03:00 PM
Checkpointracer

I was scared when I saw it and I was like 10! What scared me about it was that it looked so demonic.

ORIGINAL: wst50

I'll tell you what, it's nothing like the movie Twister. Good movie, but not a documentary.
I loved that film when I first saw it. I was 6 at the time

Strange really. Great Britain has more tornadoes per year than Tornado Alley, their just so weak they don't often appear in the news
Old 02-17-2007, 11:41 PM
ferrariowner123

i guess for washington, this is severe weather
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38477.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	623930   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yu63446.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	623931   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ua70762.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	623932  
Old 02-17-2007, 11:54 PM
Wisconsin Nitro

i dont run from storms i run after them
and no im not a storm chaser

the worst ever even worse then the few tornados that touched down strait in front of our house (luckily went the opposite direction) was the huge soft ball sized hail storm that lasted about 20 mins
Old 02-18-2007, 01:57 AM
Kevinator9

Those pics are cool! I really would like to go to the snow!
Old 02-18-2007, 04:59 AM
GRANT ED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have never seen a tornado or a hurricane. Heck I have never seen real snow. We do get some decent thunderstorms here but compared to the states our weather is pretty tame.
By the way. In my home town in Aus yesterday it was 41.5 degrees C (107 F). [8D]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.