Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Damiler Chrysler

Old 04-09-2007, 10:09 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Damiler Chrysler

Yeah, I remember that! I think that was about the time that NASCAR banned pushrods also. Too bad, since more and more mainstream everyday cars are all going to overhead cam designs. There are still pushrods out there, and they are beginning to do some innovative stuff; for example, the Ford-International 6.0L diesel pushrod engine actually has multiple valves per cylinder! I do not know if NASCAR will allow multiple valved push-rod engine; it's a shame. Overhead cam technology, variable timing, etc. can really benefit from the research thrown into racing. Too bad Dodge basically walked out of NASCAR when thier hemi engine was banned (or was it bcause Crysler went bankrupt? Someone clarify this for me.).
Old 04-09-2007, 10:55 PM
ttoks

pushrod engine are good because you can get a large displacement in a small space, an overhead cam engine is big because it has the cams above then cylinders, a pushrod engine only has the rockers.

fords old 7 liter pushrod engine was smaller externally then they're current 5.4 liter DOHC engine, i love overhead cam engines though, although i have found a bit on this new technology called a 6 stroke engine (it isent actually 6 stroke, it's so called because it kinda merges the ideas behind a 4 stoke and 2 stroke engine together)

[link=http://www.sixstroke.com/specifications.htm]six stroke engine[/link]

there are accually currently 3 differant types of 6 stroke engine being devloped, the other two accually have a 6 stroke cycle instead of 4
Old 04-10-2007, 11:03 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Interesting link! I dind have time to read it thoroughly; I just looked at the timing profiles. Really inersting, 440degrees duration!
Old 04-11-2007, 01:15 AM
ttoks

it looks very interesting i know, seems to have the potential, another 6 stroke engine i'v come acros is simply a diesel 4 stroke converted to run on petrol, has a 1:3 camshaft instead of 1:2, after the first power stroke the piston re compresses then exuast gas and then at the top of the stroke the diesel injectors spray water into the engine, which then becomes instantly superheated and into steam forcing the piston down again for another power stroke, then the exhaust opens, i'll try and find a link

-edit- i found the link [link=http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060227/FREE/302270007/1023/THISWEEKSISSUE]another six stroke[/link]
Old 04-11-2007, 02:44 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Thanks for the links and information! Very intersting read and very innovative! I hope the technology can be vetter developed; based on what I understand of what they describe, fuel economy can be increased from 33% to 50% more than what it i now (of course, I am asuming alot of things such as the additional strokes would produce the same BMEP as the full fuel cumbustion stroke in particular).

If this technology can be developed, made feasible for the market, mass produced, and made wide spread, I do not see why this kind of reciprocating engine would not help curb fuel consumtion while possibly help reduce emisions as well.