Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Lifting a 02' Jeep Grand Cherokee

Old 04-09-2007, 01:54 AM
Mekong

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifting a 02' Jeep Grand Cherokee

I got a 02 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 4x4 V8 and want to lift it just a touch and put some bigger tires on it, whats the best bet for my $? Its my daily commuter too so I dont want anything to crazy, how much am I looking at for that? I dont off road to hard but I go at least 3 times a year or more for camping trips and having fun in the sierras.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:51 AM
rcdude37

Default RE: Lifting a 02' Jeep Grand Cherokee

dont lift the entire thing if you just want bigger tires... do a body lift... search the net for a kit to lift only the body, this will allow larger tires, but will only increase ground clearance the amount you increase the tire size...
for your search try maybe www.stylinconsepts.com, summit racing, im not sure if skyjacker sells body lift kits but it is worth the try... or go to any car parts store and ask about it, if they dont have it they can get it... i know stylin has them for most vehicles
but all it is is a block that lifts your body from your chassis, giving it a "jacked" look but in an economical and more inexpensive way than the full vehicle lift... so you will have more room in your wheel wells for the larger tires...
i hope that helps...
Old 04-09-2007, 07:53 PM
Mekong

I heard body lifts ruin handling, what can I do to get the best performance increase for the $? I am new to full scale offroading as you may have gathered lol
Old 04-10-2007, 07:38 PM
rcdude37

i dont see how it would affect handling in any other way that a full lift would... i know a guy with a body lift and he has never said anything about handling... it may feel like it is different because you are higher off the road, but with a full lift you will be off the road as well...
is it worth it... well ill tell you what... go to stylinconsepts and look at the price diff. between body lifts and full lift kits... the price diff will be enough to make up your mind!... as you said u do some off roading but mainly drive the vehicle so for 300 you can have the lift for larger tires or 1000 for full lift for basically the same thing with a few inches of added ground clearance, but either way you go you will still have the stock axles in the same ground clearance as you have now... i know there are companies that make full lift kits that are upgradeable... but for your situation is that really worth it?... im just saying this is an easy more inexpensive way of doing it, you may need the added clearance where you off road it, i dont know what you drive on so this is hard to just guess at... i live in sd and our terrain is much different than yours, i have been to vegas so i have an idea of what you run on.. but the thing you must decide is do you need that extra ground clearance, or will larger tires get you by... and what is your max spending limit... i wouldn't go "all out" if i took it off the road 3-4 times a year, for that i could live with what the vehicle can handle... don't need to go pro on it or anything, ya know
so the main question is for you to answer...
if u have any other questions just pm me... i will receive it much quicker!
Old 04-13-2007, 06:26 PM
The_DDub

You have a unibody grand cherokee. You cannot do a body lift. Look into a BB (budget boost) and OME springs. That is the best budget lift for ZJ, WJs. I have a 94 JGC that has a BB + OME.