Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

wow get this...

Old 04-14-2007, 08:14 PM
Wisconsin Nitro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wow get this...

saw it on Yahoo news...

Matthew Broersma, Techworld Thu Apr 12, 12:00 PM ET

Microsoft will force PC makers to stop selling machines running XP by the end of this year, despite ongoing compatibility problems and demand for XP from users.

Demand for XP is particularly strong among small and medium-sized businesses, according to Dell, which announced it will continue offering some machines with XP pre-installed.

However, the clock is ticking, and Dell and other PC makers will be obliged to stop selling machines running XP by the end of the year, despite ongoing compatibility and performance issues with Windows Vista.

Dell has decided to continue offering XP on business systems through the summer through a feature called "Customize with
Windows XP," the company said in a recent blog post.

Dell said the move reflects strong demand for XP machines, especially for smaller businesses, which often buy systems in small numbers from OEMs.

"Dell recognizes the needs of small business customers and understands that more time is needed to transition to a new operating system," said Tom West, director of small business marketing at Dell, on the company's blog. "The plan is to continue offering Windows XP on select Dimension and Inspiron systems until later this summer."

Dell isn't planning to offer XP on consumer systems, saying they prefer the "latest and greatest," a situation that displeased some customers. "Thumbs down for not offering this to home users," wrote one user.

"Many home users- especially gamers- do consider XP the 'greatest'- especially after all the media articles and benchmarks showing very poor gaming performance and compatibility on Vista," wrote another.

At the end of this year, however, Microsoft OEMs' contracts will no longer give them the option of selling XP-powered machines. This is despite problems that have surfaced for consumers as well as businesses, such as games and application incompatibility and driver problems.

Most recently, users complained that Vista's start-up, shut-down and application load times are far too long compared with Windows XP. Users on Microsoft's Performance & Maintenance forum, who sound pro-Vista for the most part, have vented about a variety of speed issues.

"I have XP and Vista running side-by-side [but] I twiddle my thumbs waiting for certain apps to load up on the Vista machine while the load is instantaneous on the older XP machine," wrote a user identified as William. "I've tweaked it as best as I could with the info available and I am still very disappointed."

Doubts have also been raised about Vista's security, after it emerged that Vista was affected by recent widespread hacks involving Windows' animated cursors, even though that portion of the code was addressed by an update more than two years ago.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:51 PM
Spdsk8er
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: wow get this...

yet another reason to go with mac's.
Old 04-15-2007, 12:08 AM
boltech

Macs are another reason to go with Linux... want ease of use and nice gui.. go Fedora or Ubuntu

ORIGINAL: Spdsk8er

yet another reason to go with mac's.
Old 04-15-2007, 01:14 AM
-Inverted-

Now charge me double for my PC to get a good enough system to run the OS.

It's all a big scam.

Windows 95 for life!
Old 04-15-2007, 01:50 AM
Mr. Mugen

LOL
Old 04-15-2007, 04:47 AM
ttoks

microsoft obviously make more money off vista, so instead of going the customer friendly rout and letting people choose they're going to greedy corporation rout
Old 04-15-2007, 06:39 AM
nitro _ burner

i got a new laptop the other month and it had vista and ive haf no problems with it, shure its alot different and takes some getting used to but it has good graphics and all.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:22 AM
boltech

want graphics.. now here is graphics!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAxIjo__x_g

No you don't need a HYPER AWESOME EXPENSIVE SYSTEM to run it. had it been Windows yes you would.
P4 1.6 Laptop 512MB ram. Radeon Mobility

ORIGINAL: nitro _ burner

i got a new laptop the other month and it had vista and ive haf no problems with it, shure its alot different and takes some getting used to but it has good graphics and all.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:03 AM
-Inverted-

I was just kidding about the Win. 95 comment...

I will be getting a Mac, but I'm not sure when.
Old 04-15-2007, 12:53 PM
The_Collector

Never buy something when it is first released, be it computers, cars, or anything else.

3 words...off lease IBM's. Give the new stuff a year or two, patches and fixes get put on, then you're good. Let the first guy take the hit.
Old 04-15-2007, 04:40 PM
RC freak

XP yes Vista HELL NO!!!
Old 04-17-2007, 07:29 PM
Wisconsin Nitro

wait so viesta has problems running games?

if it does then im scrwed cause thats all that can come with my new comp if i get it :\
Old 04-17-2007, 07:54 PM
ferrariowner123

i had vista for a few weeks on my laptop that crashed but no worries i just returned it and i am no in search of the same laptop from a good supplier. but other than that problem i had no issues with vista at all, in fact i liked it more than XP but since i returned it i've been stuck with XP and i'm missing Vista
Old 04-18-2007, 10:33 AM
Wisconsin Nitro

well if vista doesent work can you uninstall the operating system and replace viesta with xp?
Old 04-18-2007, 05:23 PM
CapUSA

ORIGINAL: boltech

want graphics.. now here is graphics!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAxIjo__x_g

No you don't need a HYPER AWESOME EXPENSIVE SYSTEM to run it. had it been Windows yes you would.
P4 1.6 Laptop 512MB ram. Radeon Mobility

ORIGINAL: nitro _ burner

let's leave the 3d interfaces to jurassic park, please.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:34 PM
Nathan9492

XP is better, Vista is a sys hog.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:09 AM
boltech

I personally think it's a nice way to display the 4 virtual desktops that comes standard on Linux. You sound like you are still running windows 3.1

ORIGINAL: CapUSA

let's leave the 3d interfaces to jurassic park, please.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:13 AM
Wide Open

ORIGINAL: Wisconsin Nitro

well if vista doesent work can you uninstall the operating system and replace viesta with xp?
sure, its even possible to load both if you feel you want to. then you just tell it which one to boot. im saving to build a new computer before the summer (hopefully) and i will be loading XP on it since i like to play the battlefield series and i dont know how well it works on vista yet. once vista comes out with a service pack or they work on the compatability issues i might get a smaller second hard drive and load it on that and i will be able to choose what i want to run until XP is completely phased out.