Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

WHY DO PEOPLE BUY ON EBAY??

Old 04-24-2007, 09:32 PM
BIGMIG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default WHY DO PEOPLE BUY ON EBAY??

I just don't understand why I see so many people on some of the threads reccomend people go to ebay stores to buy RC products.I have looked at many of the RC toys we play with,and I have yet to find them cheaper than a lot of the e-mail order stores on the typical web sites.And a lot of these so called ebay stores charge very high shipping charges.Don't most people shop around for the best price and shipping.???? I'm interested in your opinion on this ebay thing.Can you give an example on a super deal from ebay(item,price,and shipping charge and the source).I will admit mabe once in a while someone might get a good buy on a used item,but not that often.------------BIGMIG
Old 04-24-2007, 09:41 PM
hands without shadows

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WHY DO PEOPLE BUY ON EBAY??

I got a fair deal today I think, bought a never used [link=http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=130103159943&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=003]mamba esc[/link] for $49, $5 bucks shipped to Canada.

Personally I dont feel safe giving my credit info to a million sites just because they have a good deal, I prefer to lurk ebay for a week or two and get it for a similar price and do everything through paypal or pay a bit extra at the LHS.

I got an OK deal on the last car I bought too I think, a used Traxxas Stampede with peak charger, futuba radio, hs servo, super rooster esc and 2 matched 6 cell packs for about $160 shipped.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:06 PM
BIGMIG

I would like to see more on the new Items,I know there will be some who may get a buy on used stuff.But I'm willing to bet there will be a lot more who end up with junk.Show me the good buys on new equipment off ebay. BIGMIG
I should have also added i'm more interested in replies to TANKS,And HELICOPTERS.I have not checked to much on cars although I have one of those also with a glo fuel motor.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:59 PM
-Inverted-

I buy everything off ebay.

I get all my rc stuff and shoes (my other hobby) off ebay.

I spend a lot on each a month with no problems.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:12 PM
BIGMIG

Well that don't tell me very much.Pretty general statement without any facts.And again i'm mostly asking about new RC items from so called ebay stores.I know why people are on there selling and buying used stuff.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:26 AM
-Inverted-

Facts?

You didn't ask for facts you asked why people buy on ebay.

It's the place to go to get rare items.

They dont sell Bruisers on Towerhobbies now do they.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:35 AM
ttoks

and apart from that e bay can be good for the buyer/seller, one of my teachers does this alot with aussie rules football items and makes around $200 to $450 a week from it

incase you didnt know, what i mean buy the buyer/seller thing is buying item you know are worth more then what someone is asking for it and then selling it for more then it's worth to someone who doesnt know what it's worth
Old 04-25-2007, 09:34 AM
Beasley1

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5762911/tm.htm]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5762911/tm.htm[/link]

This guy said he got a deal, looks like it.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:27 PM
Hacker Da-Cracker
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

If you look you can find REALLY good deals. I got a brand new in box XXX CR for $120 with shipping.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:45 PM
nbk

ORIGINAL: Hacker Da-Cracker

If you look you can find REALLY good deals. I got a brand new in box XXX CR for $120 with shipping.
Thats pretty good,arent they 200 new?
Wow hands,you bought this?! http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=260097951257
I dislike ebay.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:59 PM
hands without shadows

ORIGINAL: nbk
Wow hands,you bought this?! http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=260097951257
I dislike ebay.
STALKER!!!!!!!! Lol, my mom buys a lot of scrapbooking and stamping stuff of E-bay
Old 04-25-2007, 04:50 PM
nbk

ORIGINAL: hands without shadows

ORIGINAL: nbk
I dislike ebay.
STALKER!!!!!!!! Lol, my mom buys a lot of scrapbooking and stamping stuff of E-bay
ahaha i looked at your history to see what you bought,then i was like ummm...
oh well thats cool,at least it gives you more feedback.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:23 PM
Hacker Da-Cracker
Banned

maybe he wanted some stickers for his RC's lol.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:57 PM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

There are deals on R/C stuff if you keep an eye out. The Big 2 distributors, Great Planes (Tower) and Horizon Hobby set minimum prices that you know as street prices that any dealer can not sell for less or risk losing their distribution rights. This is so that Mom & Pop hobby shops can compete against the big outfits.
OK, so you're saying Ron, where are the deals? What the eBay sellers do is add starting kits, free shipping or some other extras in with the deal yet sell the item at the fair street price. I've seen these sellers add up to $50.00 worth of extras to make a sale.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:24 AM
BIGMIG

I will give a little plug for tower hobbies,I have bought a lot of RC and Train supplys from them.They are an honest business and you will get what you order,and fairly fast.But they are high on some things and good on others.Just like every where else,know what things sell for and shop around.Every business has to make a profit or they won't be around long.Most smaller hobby shops will sometimes tell you straight out they can't compete with the big mail order shops.I just stay away from the places that are just ripping people off,with their totaly out of line high prices and double or triple shipping charges.
As for e-bay ---I rest my case---------------------------BIGMIG
Old 04-27-2007, 01:11 AM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

True, you have to read the complete ads thoroughly. I've seen items on there that appeared to be bargains but then you get down to shipping costs and that's where they rip you off! I've seen $35.00 shipping on items that you know aren't going to cost them $8.00 .
Read the return warranties also, especially when you are buying from a middleman and the item is coming from overseas. The middleman never sees what they are selling as it is shipped directly from the manufacturer. If what you bought was junk, you have to return it and pay shipping costs to send it back plus pay the shipping for its replacement! They will also state that the warranty is void to international shipments so if it is shipped from say, China, sorry Charlie, you're outta luck.
eBay does have its place if you're looking for a hard-to-find part or other good deals. I'd rather buy from someone that I know and use eBay as a last resort.
Old 04-27-2007, 04:17 AM
Nathan9492

i buy most of my stuff from ebay, just seems to be soo much cheaper with RC stuff
Old 05-14-2007, 04:12 PM
Nick2618

I buy a lot of parts on ebay. But i always check towerhobbies first. If there price is lower or the same i buy for them.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:30 PM
Suprachrgd82

Those are great points. One of several oddities I see on eBay are some the vintage auctions.

I just saw a HotShot kit NIB going for over $500. Tamiya is re-releasing this, which will sell for a lot less, not to mention that it will drive the price for the old cars down.

And there were several TRF415's on ebay as well as Tower fro over $400 each. Tamiya, once again, had them on clearance for $275.

It seems that visiting the manufacturer's websites while revieiwng purchases is not too common, but can be a huge shopping tool...
Old 05-14-2007, 07:55 PM
Kemo

Thats because the electric class is almost dead, well pretty much 1/10th scale in general.