Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Highway Robbery!!!

Old 07-16-2007, 11:37 AM
Nick2618

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Highway Robbery!!!

I took my car to tires plus today to get my alignment done and apprently i have a couple tail lights out and my battery is not holding a good charge. They want 46 dollars to change 2 brake lights and 150 dollars to change a battery... Also i needed a brake fluid flush is that hard to do? I have some basic machenical know how but not sure where to start with the brake system. Anyways thought i would share this with you all.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47004.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	724002  
Old 07-16-2007, 11:46 AM
Lunchboxer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Highway Robbery!!!

LOL, $150 battery?! You drive a big rig or something?!
Old 07-16-2007, 12:04 PM
VIPER458

wow!!! simply amazing.... the nerve some people have. sure hope that battery is heavy from the gold thats inside...
Old 07-16-2007, 01:08 PM
Lunchboxer

Just go to Costco or Walmart and buy one and put it in yourself.. $60 or less, I am sure...
Old 07-16-2007, 01:28 PM
smaxx3.3

yea for $288 you could buy a new battery, taillights, and maybe ever some brake pads.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:32 PM
aer-wubby

ORIGINAL: nick2618

I took my car to tires plus today to get my alignment done and apprently i have a couple tail lights out and my battery is not holding a good charge. They want 46 dollars to change 2 brake lights and 150 dollars to change a battery... Also i needed a brake fluid flush is that hard to do? I have some basic machenical know how but not sure where to start with the brake system. Anyways thought i would share this with you all.
Unless they want to put in an Optima battery, that is total crap, man! Thieves!!

Also, break fluid flush is not hard at all.. You unscrew the lines from whatever they connect to (could be the ABS), put a pan under the lines and pump the brake. Then you just refil the brake fluid little by little and keep pumping until the brake fluid color becomes the color of the brake fluid (rather than dirty rust color). Really not that hard...
Old 07-16-2007, 01:40 PM
Nick2618

ORIGINAL: Lunchboxer

LOL, $150 battery?! You drive a big rig or something?!
LOL. Nope just a 97 honda civic coupe. I do not plan on getting that work done there. But they have good deals on tires and i got a 3 year aligment plan, oil change, and tire rotation for like 100 like 7 months ago. So i go back for my aligments and tires when nesscary.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:18 PM
nitro fanatic

ha this kinda sounds like the place my mom went to......they wanted 45 to change the windsheild wipers
Old 07-16-2007, 03:56 PM
p8ntball

install the battery yourself... save 60 bucks...
Old 07-16-2007, 04:02 PM
Lunchboxer

No doubt the caliper has bleeder valves.. I don't think you want to unscrew the lines...

ORIGINAL: aer-wubby
Unless they want to put in an Optima battery, that is total crap, man! Thieves!!

Also, break fluid flush is not hard at all.. You unscrew the lines from whatever they connect to (could be the ABS), put a pan under the lines and pump the brake. Then you just refil the brake fluid little by little and keep pumping until the brake fluid color becomes the color of the brake fluid (rather than dirty rust color). Really not that hard...
Old 07-16-2007, 05:08 PM
rcdude37

No doubt the caliper has bleeder valves.. I don't think you want to unscrew the lines...

same consept... its still not that hard to do and it doesnt take all that long either....
as far as the bat goes... it prolly took all of their employees to carry it to the car and install it since they have no nuts because ppl kick them in that location for the price they charge! haha
i guess they give u a deal on one thing they screw you for another to get their money out of it...
Old 07-16-2007, 05:41 PM
aer-wubby

My cousin has a 2000 Integra. B18C engine (GSR), and he bleeds and cleans out his whole lines by disconnecting the brake lines.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:55 PM
terrytinsley

I am glad I live on the west coast. Someone with'basic' knowledge is going to fix a brake system that lives outside his knowledge and then get on the highway. Not a good Idea, Shop around but get the brakes done by a professional.

The battery you can try, if the car doesn't start, we don't have to worry about your abuility to stop.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:07 PM
nitro _ burner

ORIGINAL: rcdude37

same consept... its still not that hard to do and it doesnt take all that long either....
as far as the bat goes... it prolly took all of their employees to carry it to the car and install it since they have no nuts because ppl kick them in that location for the price they charge! haha
i guess they give u a deal on one thing they screw you for another to get their money out of it...
BAHAHAHA!!!LOL, true, so, true!!!
Old 07-16-2007, 10:07 PM
Nick2618

well i know how to change a battery and take care of headlights my self. Proabably would be better to let a professional do the brake flush.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:21 AM
SAVAGEJIM

I hate to say it, but as far as the battery and tailights go, they are telling you to bend over. As everyone else already said, a new batt should run about $60, maybe $80 tops. The lights? about $5-10!

To punish them, I would take the Civic to go get its flush somewhere else. Since you already got the tire deal, I would milk that for all its worth.

Speaking of highway robbery, did you know you can get a monetary refund from Honda for your Civic? Thier odometers turn too fast and your actaul mileage reads higher than it is really supposed to be. Cann Honda and submit for that refund for your faulty odo.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:46 AM
Eman77

Labor for car work always kills you. Not surprised to see $150 for a battery, installed. To install, they kill you on labor charges.

Heck, even the local Meineke shop charges $80 or $100/hour in labor for general stuff. That's brutal.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:55 AM
Lunchboxer

$100/hour, LOL, they think they work in a Porsche dealer?!
Old 07-17-2007, 09:16 AM
Eman77

$100/hour, LOL, they think they work in a Porsche dealer?!
I think that rate is pretty common now for general labor ($80-100/hour), if you look around at car shops, let alone what the dealership will charge you per hour to look at anything. Seriously, this isn't just one shop I found with a rate like that...

Of course, that doesn't mean it's not a rip-off....it's just not an uncommon rip-off. [&:]
Old 07-17-2007, 07:23 PM
SAVAGEJIM

That is the thing, $100 for labor per hour that does not even take an average mechanic 15min to do. When they work as fast as they normally do to do the work, I refuse to pay $100 for an hour of work that the jerk did in 15min.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:59 AM
Eman77

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

That is the thing, $100 for labor per hour that does not even take an average mechanic 15min to do. When they work as fast as they normally do to do the work, I refuse to pay $100 for an hour of work that the jerk did in 15min.
Probably have a 1 hr minimum charge. Heh. [:@]
Old 07-19-2007, 10:54 AM
RC freak

it just goes to show everyone wants sumthin 4 nuthin
Old 07-19-2007, 11:38 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Try a place like Auto Zone or Sears, they do free battery installations.
Usually brake lines don't need to be flushed unless there is a high amount of moisture in the fluid and that comes from heavy driving like if you were racing the car on a road course.
I went to have my oil changed in my SUV at an oil change shop. They said that I needed my fuel filter changed and wanted $70.00 to do it. No thanks, I can do it myself for about $10.00 . Most of their money is made from people who aren't mechanically inclined that don't know when they're getting taken for a ride.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:56 PM
Nick2618

ORIGINAL: RC freak

it just goes to show everyone wants sumthin 4 nuthin
Did not realize not wanting to pay 50 for two tail lights, and 150 for a battery with the parts only cost like 5 and 70 was wanting something for nothing. Also when both jobs could be done in less then 10 mins if you know what you are doing...