Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Need a new shotgun

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 10:16 PM
[email protected]

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a new shotgun

OK so I was thinking of getting a under over browning for skeet and trap, now a lot of other people or saying semi auto shotguns are a better choice. Any people on this site shoot? I have a pump and have a hard time with the second shot the target gets to far buy the time I rack a new round. Shot a guys under over and was on the money. So does any one shoot both?
Old 03-01-2008, 10:23 PM
iamnot

Default RE: Need a new shotgun

i've shot both
i've got a simi-auto 20ga that i love for skeet
but i way, way prefer either over/under or traditional side-by-side for skeet
just seems to be the "right" way to do it
they're just so darn expensive for a nice one...
Old 03-01-2008, 10:36 PM
[email protected]

I was looking at the ruger or the browning at around $1500 or so give or take. This would be a one time purchase for me. I was looking at some semi autos in the $850 ball park.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:08 PM
smaxx3.3

if you want amazing guns go look at the browning citori, or a winchester supreme. the newer supreme's checkering on the stock is ulgy, its like ovals. but if you get 1st or 2nd year hey look pretty good. a bretta silver pigion is a nice gun too. i have a 20ga. citori with grade 5 wood it is a beautiful gun. and i got a 20 because you dont really need the speed of a 12, so why have the kick of one? my dad has a 12ga. supreme its a really nice gun but with 30 inch barrels its a little on the heavy side. but pretty much the only thing i shoot is trap, cause duck and goose arent in season year round. and when they are i don't have the time to go.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:00 AM
s7jstep1

i have no problem with pump. im still new to shooting but i can shoot a clay, and then shoot a chunk that broke off on the first shot. if you really want a challange, try my bolt action 20ga. i can post a pic if you want. soon i am going to get a benelli nova pump so i can go duck hunting and also throw in a 3 1/2" bb and dust a goose at 75-80 yards
Old 03-02-2008, 05:56 AM
ttoks

i've found semi auto's to be more veritial and a bit easier with the recoil, but the under overs are so nice to shoot with, i have a friend with an 1887 English under over muzzle loader that is very nice to shoot, kind alike driving an old car, only gets shot 2 or 3 times a year but is so rewarding when you actually get to shoot it, he also has a couple of modern berreta's and old muzzle loaded hunting rifles from the late 1800's-early 1900's.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:39 AM
smaxx3.3

ORIGINAL: s7jstep1

i have no problem with pump. im still new to shooting but i can shoot a clay, and then shoot a chunk that broke off on the first shot. if you really want a challange, try my bolt action 20ga. i can post a pic if you want. soon i am going to get a benelli nova pump so i can go duck hunting and also throw in a 3 1/2" bb and dust a goose at 75-80 yards
i also have a beretta 391 semi-auto, i use it from trap sometimes but there are to many moving parts for me in semi-autos. they jam easily and some wont even shoot reloaded shells. dont get me wrong i like autos but there is nothing worse then you going for your simo or your doubles, you shoot and turn the first target to red powder. you aim to pull the trigger on your second target and click, then you look the empty shell is hanging out of the recivier. [:@] for duck and goose hunting a pump or auto is the best because you can get up to 5 shells into it (legal is only 3) on a sporting clays corse you can only have 2 shells in your gun anyway.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:06 AM
[email protected]

ORIGINAL: s7jstep1

On my pump I can do ok on trap but skeet coming from the tower behind me I miss a lot, They come out so fast and you only have so much time to hit it. I watch the hard core people shoot and every one is a under over and the shotguns cost like $5000. Trap is not to bad but if the target gets away from you the second shot can be hard. How many times have you seen the wad go by the clay[:@]. Pumps are great and I love my cheap mossburg 500 that I got for $185 never had a problem with it. Now when you see people shooting the small clays at 60 yards and the clay turns to dust and your jaw drops cause the guy has big ass coke bottle glasses on[X(] I'm like how do you do it? he said a good gun and lots of practice. This is what a old timer told me, most shotgus are not true when you look down the barrel and thats why I miss at the greater distance. That's why the browning and the top guns cost so much is the time into the building of the gun. This guy also shoots a semi auto now because the recoil is easy on him. When I asked him what to buy he said get what fits. He did say bretta, browning and ruger are ok and semi auto vs under over is personal.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:12 AM
iamnot

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

he said a good gun and lots of practice. This is what a old timer told me, most shotgus are not true when you look down the barrel and thats why I miss at the greater distance. That's why the browning and the top guns cost so much is the time into the building of the gun. This guy also shoots a semi auto now because the recoil is easy on him. When I asked him what to buy he said get what fits. He did say bretta, browning and ruger are ok and semi auto vs under over is personal.
that guy gave you a lot of good advice

nothing improves performance like practice
that's pretty much true in anything in life
if you want to be good practice, practice, practice

after that equipment can matter

but if you get really good through practice
you'll be good weather you've got mediocre, good or great equipment

look at any of the sport greats
like tiger woods
do you think that he'd be that much less good with run-of-the-mill clubs