Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Thinking of getting out..

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 12:25 AM
annie_himself

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thinking of getting out..

I'm starting to get into BMX now and that takes much of time and money. I've been in it for so long that it seems almost pointless to have a computer now. The only reason I use the internet is to download albums and check forums. Work takes up alot of time and I don't get paid enough to fund both hobbies like I would like. Plus I have so much top-dollar stuff I could sell to get my bike quicker and start riding. The only thing is, I would almost feel empty without some kind of RC in my house. And with my luck a track would open up in my local area the day I sell the last of my collection. I may just start to bash, that was pretty fun back in the day. Who else has thought about getting out?
Old 03-22-2008, 12:28 AM
pede_187

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thinking of getting out..

ORIGINAL: annie_himself

I'm starting to get into BMX now and that takes much of time and money. I've been in it for so long that it seems almost pointless to have a computer now. The only reason I use the internet is to download albums and check forums. Work takes up alot of time and I don't get paid enough to fund both hobbies like I would like. Plus I have so much top-dollar stuff I could sell to get my bike quicker and start riding. The only thing is, I would almost feel empty without some kind of RC in my house. And with my luck a track would open up in my local area the day I sell the last of my collection. I may just start to bash, that was pretty fun back in the day. Who else has thought about getting out?
I honestly couldn't last 3 days without rc
Old 03-22-2008, 12:32 AM
annie_himself

ORIGINAL: pede_kid

I honestly couldn't last 3 days without rc
Well racing is extremely hard for me to do right now. Tracks are outside of New Orleans and I don't have my liscence yet so I can't drive myself, and I really want to ride. Riding is virtually free, I can go outside or downtown BR and ride for free for hours.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:41 AM
NitroVenom

So just get some of your racing buddies to get together and bash. I've thought about getting out also so I can help save up for a first car. But then I thought once I get my car, I'll end up being the taxi to go race at the track every wekend for me and my friends..

You can have more then one hobby you know.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:49 AM
annie_himself

ORIGINAL: NitroVenom

So just get some of your racing buddies to get together and bash. I've thought about getting out also so I can help save up for a first car. But then I thought once I get my car, I'll end up being the taxi to go race at the track every wekend for me and my friends..

You can have more then one hobby you know.
Yes but I won't have time for that, and if I do I will be riding. Here is my schedule for most days: School, work, sleep. The days I have off I would like to ride and bash. I'd be a lucky man if I could get weekends off. Racing takes all day, I don't have that time.
Old 03-22-2008, 01:01 AM
NitroVenom

LOL your schedual isn't much diffrent from mine. I go to school, then to my friends gym, then straight to work, then home to sleep. I run that exact order at least 3 times during the week. On weekends I still work but only on Saterdays until 3. So I leave time to go out and do whatever for the rest of the weekend. I only race in the spring/summer(indoors and there gay about the ventalation) But there racing all of friday from 2pm until midnight. So I can leave my house at 6pm and still put in a good 3 1/2 hours of racing not including preperation work and getting set-up. Just because you don't have time for them doesn't mean you have to sell them all off. If you want to make your fleet smaller then thats ok but if you sell everything you will end up regretting it and loose a lot of work/money that you already have invested.
Old 03-22-2008, 01:09 AM
annie_himself

I work everyday of the week on top of school. I work on weekends except for Sunday. Even on the weekends I work late or I close the store so there is no free time. Tracks are at least a hour away so I would need gas money, insurance money, money for BMX, and money to buy a new 2WD and the other $500 worth of stuff I need. My fleet doesn't even exist anymore, I just have alot of stuff I can sell (tire lot, 3PK, high-dollar servos, etc.).
Old 03-22-2008, 01:15 AM
NitroVenom

Why work so much?? Thats your problem. I only work 3-4 days a week. I make 400+ a month(not terrible) and I still get by.
Old 03-22-2008, 01:18 AM
NitroVenom

Buy used. Your not a newb so you know what needs to be fixed and how it needs to be done. Go to fle-bay and get a 2wd roller and stick your servo's in there. What ever tires you got can go to the 2wd(if they fit). If you got any MT sets I"ll take em off your hands.
Old 03-22-2008, 07:25 AM
iamnot

don't sweat it
i've been in and out of the hobby
half a dozen times since i was a kid
first started at 10
then again on late teens
then again in late 20's
etc
sell most of the stuff
keep a car/truck or two in storage
(you'll regret it if you don't)
when the bug bites again - and it will
buy new
the hobby changes so much
5 or 10 years will outdate your current stuff

don't feel bad
it's just a hobby
and they come and go and come back again

good luck with the next one
Old 03-22-2008, 11:01 AM
annie_himself

I do want the hours for my check.
I'm planning on selling most of the stuff but keeping my baby (3PK), servos, and some tools. I might get a Savage X SS.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:32 AM
Wisconsin Nitro

thought and have a while back and I'm now just getting back into doing it again

was gone for about 9 months or so
Old 03-22-2008, 01:02 PM
secretsg

If you do keep stuff like tools and pit bags. Other stuff can be let go.
Old 03-22-2008, 01:10 PM
Nick2618

Why work so much?? Thats your problem. I only work 3-4 days a week. I make 400+ a month(not terrible) and I still get by.
There is a secert to working alot if you can control your money. The more you work the more money you have. AND the LESS time you have. So the less money you spend and the more you can save/spend on bigger stuff. But on the other side of that the less you work the less you have and more free time you have to waste your money...

Theory dose not work for everyone. Like i know some people who just spend a lot of money no matter what.
Old 03-22-2008, 01:11 PM
Specialzed
Banned
My Feedback: (2)

I just wanted to say that your sig doesnt make much sense annie himself.
Old 03-22-2008, 01:45 PM
qaiz

When I read the title, I thought you were thinking of getting out of the closet

No offence LOL.!
Old 03-23-2008, 12:14 AM
-Inverted-

I have been in and out myself for quite a while. I other hobby is shoes. Im a sneakerhead, and I work around shoes. Sneakers is an expensive hobby!
I also wanna get back into BMX.

Sorry, but $400 is not going to support multiple hobbies. Maybe RC. Although, RC really isn't that expensive once you get past the initial purchases. I guess it depends on what else you buy.

I myself am an uncontrollable shopper. I can spend my whole check in a day easily.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:54 AM
-EXTRA-

ORIGINAL: -Inverted-

I have been in and out myself for quite a while. I other hobby is shoes. Im a sneakerhead, and I work around shoes. Sneakers is an expensive hobby!
I also wanna get back into BMX.

Sorry, but $400 is not going to support multiple hobbies. Maybe RC. Although, RC really isn't that expensive once you get past the initial purchases. I guess it depends on what else you buy.

I myself am an uncontrollable shopper. I can spend my whole check in a day easily.
Yea 400$ wouldn't cut it for me..i bring in around 7-800 a month working 40-45 hours a week with if im lucky a day off...and im only in R/C!!but i have a truck to pay for so i need the hours...oh hey look im off to work again
Old 03-23-2008, 08:49 AM
annie_himself

I'm off three days!
Old 03-23-2008, 10:36 AM
Spdsk8er
My Feedback: (3)

yeah, I am getting out. I just got tired of cars never running, LHS's closing, waiting 2 weeks for a losi a arm because tower doesnt stock them...

I'll probably get back in in a few years, but untill then....

I also cant drive, so..... Got sick of my parents yelling at me because I smell like paragon.
Old 03-23-2008, 03:38 PM
ProRCRacer88

I had this thought countless times, but seems as everytime i attept to get out, a month or so later i come back in it spending even more money than i did at first. This just happened again a week ago and i spent a large sum of money... sometimes i feel like im trapped in this hobby .. but i ain really complaining about it
Old 03-23-2008, 06:42 PM
Takedown
My Feedback: (23)

Trust me once you try and get out of R/C you'll eventually get sucked right back in. Ive tried to quit twice because its a highly money demanding hobby but I just couldnt. my record is for a whole year and then one day it came to me that I should go to my LHS and look for a new hobby. Ended up buying a Trinity t-spec back in the day. walked out a happy yet dissapointed man.
Old 03-23-2008, 06:44 PM
Checkpointracer

I've thought about it just recently. My new hobby is going to take up a lot of my time and is very expensive. (go kart racing, I'm talking about 80-100 mph go karts). I don't have one yet but I might get one this summer.

Infact in a way I am getting out. If anyone has noticed I haven't been on RCU much lately, I've just kind of lost intrest in it all of a sudden, and IMO, going fast and being all over the back of someone for the lead is a lot more fun then then rc. Plus I'm waayyyyyy better at go kart driving then I am driving an rc.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:38 PM
A.B.U

Well.. i havent driven my cars.. in.. wow, almost a whole year
So i'm out of it.. but i still have both vehicles.
actually, i'd drive em daily, but my glow ignitor died, and i never bothered going to buy a new one.. soo.. yep.

Do whatcha want.. since you DO have a job, just rebuy what you dont have if you ever want to get into it again.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:45 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RC is a chronic disease. It may go into remission from time to time but its always there, and it can always manifest itself.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.