Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

new ride

Old 04-04-2008, 01:56 PM
eddiebelanger
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: new ride

ORIGINAL: VIPER458

ORIGINAL: AutoXMan

ORIGINAL: Shupid_one

i have a inline five on my volvo. they are ausome!

its a 95 black volvo 850 turbo. it has 222hp stock, with some wastegate tuning i push 16psi peak and 11.5psi continuous and that equates to 245HP and i get it all at 2000 rpm and because its automatic with a sports mode i dont loose any psi in shifts meaning no turbo lag after 1st gear! and get very little off the line due to the computerized wastgate that spins up the turbine at idle.

the inline five engine is more efficent and smoother than 6 and 4 cylinders because of detonation overlapping due to the odd number of cylinders, they also rev faster because of it.

I can blow the doors off any mustang GT not that i race, but i could its one of volvo's fastest that has a documented top speed of 160mph and 0-60 in 6.4 seconds, plus, im safe in the intergrated roll cage, side impact air bags and stability and traction controll.

i love my turbo box, im a mopar fan but i think this tops old chrystler... i got her last summer for $2,600 and shes pushing 180,000 miles.

oh but... she only get 15mpg.... in a itty bitty 2.3

i hate bragging about my car but, she deserves it
Lol I highly doubt you're Volvo can blow the door off of ANY Mustang GT.
i totally agree. and besides mustang gts are doing 0-60 in about 5.5 or less seconds.....
ya 0-60 in 6.4 sec is slow
Old 04-04-2008, 02:24 PM
Lunchboxer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am sure he meant that he can dial up the boost and beat the V8s that way... not in stock form...
Old 04-04-2008, 05:23 PM
clubin

eddie, it is a 78 underneath, and a 86 on top, lots a fun getting stuck. I put a set of 33" Boggers on it, haven't realy tried it yet, this spring I will though. I will take pictures, they are always good for a laugh.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:09 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ya, slow when those gts pull 6.5-7.0 0-60. you are thinking about the cobra, those are faster because of the better engine or supercharger.

what do you drive a CIVIC???

and mustangs only go 130mph stock

ask any volvo mechanic, they are MEAN.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:31 PM
The_Shark

you guys forget my life revolves around cars, i know how to fix pretty much everything on them too. (except removing the engine)

a turbocharger uses compressed air to raise the fuel intake and thus makes more mixture in less displacement.

with this particular turbocharging system it spools up before you even give it gas, when you give it the boot, you get lag for about .5 seconds, then once it kicks in at 2000 rpms it opens up the maximum horse power and torq through 5000 rpm, this means the the acceleration is smooth like a jet instead of kicking you in your seat. this makes the car keep a steady throttle curve and keeps the same basic rate of speed until it is near top speed (160 ungoverned)

ive driven fast cars, mustangs, mark IIIV's (mustang cobra engine), dakota 5.2 magnum, and this produces a unmatched feel, its like taking off in a jet.

go look up volvo 850 turbo and you will see stock 850's beat porches and mustangs, even a camaro, and it comes close to the BMW M5, its a sleeper.

dont let the 240HP fool you, if you can use all your horses through the whole throttle curve it makes the car much faster. typically the horse power peaks at 3500 rpm meaning you are only getting part of your power in other rpm ranges, making the rate of acceleration less.

its not just horse power, its torq, power curve, drive train efficiency, drag coefficient, weight and gear ratios that make a car fast.
Old 04-06-2008, 04:47 AM
HaveBlue

sorry for budding in but this post has so many contradictions ..its not funny..its sad

you guys forget my life revolves around cars, i know how to fix pretty much everything on them too. (except removing the engine)

a turbocharger uses compressed air to raise the fuel intake and thus makes more mixture in less displacement.

with this particular turbocharging system it spools up before you even give it gas, when you give it the boot, you get lag for about .5 seconds, then once it kicks in at 2000 rpms it opens up the maximum horse power and torq through 5000 rpm, this means the the acceleration is smooth like a jet instead of kicking you in your seat. this makes the car keep a steady throttle curve and keeps the same basic rate of speed until it is near top speed (160 ungoverned)

ive driven fast cars, mustangs, mark IIIV's (mustang cobra engine), dakota 5.2 magnum, and this produces a unmatched feel, its like taking off in a jet.

go look up volvo 850 turbo and you will see stock 850's beat porches and mustangs, even a camaro, and it comes close to the BMW M5, its a sleeper.

dont let the 240HP fool you, if you can use all your horses through the whole throttle curve it makes the car much faster. typically the horse power peaks at 3500 rpm meaning you are only getting part of your power in other rpm ranges, making the rate of acceleration less.

its not just horse power, its torq, power curve, drive train efficiency, drag coefficient, weight and gear ratios that make a car fast.
first line..hmmm if you spend your life around cars and fix everything..but dont know how to remove an engine....well you must spend your time in books or mags then ,and not actually doing anything on them..remove an engine..not hard just a fair bit of things to disconnectbut nothing overwhelming to anyone who has worked on cars..and I mean work on them..not have a mechanic, friend or whatever do the actually work while you watch

2nd line a turbo use's compressed air???? it is the compressor.. and how does it lessen the displacement of your engine??..it crams the charge into the cylinder.your displacement is what it is

3rd line..if it spools up before you hit the gas(which is totally not how a turbo works) why doesn't it kick in straight away..why does it only kick in 2,000 rpm if it's already spooled up????.. can you explain this to me???

you"ve got all horsepower,240hp from 2,000 all the way to 5,000...no internal combustion engine has constant HP ..they all work on a curve...

your volvo beats Porches..thing is I did look up the spes but an 850 is not a Porche beater 0- 100 kph 4.2 sec for the 911..and as for you being close to an M5 oh please only at a stop light the old E24(lowest m5 model records 0-100 kph at 6.1 seconds..but then these cars have more topend and no turbo , take a more advance version like a E60..its at 4.5 for the 0 -100 kph (along with lowest HP being 315for the E24)

and what is the drag co-efficent for the 850 anyway??? its not what I'd call aerodynamically sleek
Old 04-06-2008, 09:18 AM
The_Shark

ok, i am mechanic, ive been going to school for it 5days a week 3 hours a day for two years now, i am thier top student of all schools. have fixed just about everything, including diffs and clutches.

i can remove a engine, but only with help of a instructor, i know what needs to come off, but its intimidating removing a very heavy chunk of metal

the turbo spools upto around 10K rpm, almost adding close to adding boost at idle (regular turbo wastgates are closed and almost dont spin), the ECM limits the amount of exghaust being plumed into the turbo, too much pressure at too little rpm and the connecting rods will be really angry and may bend.

the turbo ADDS displacement by terms of compression, it fits 10psi in the combustion chamber, this means it is burning almost 4times more mixture meaninging technecly the displacement is bigger, phisicly its the same size bore but with more miture. (like a pressurized bike tire)

and take a look at the 850 turbo's chart it is low at 1k rpm, and goes up on a incline once it hits 2000 rpm it levles off at 222hp and stays in that flat line untill after 5000rpm then it declines in the same scale as when it was revving up. so the line of throttle use when racing, there is virtually no HP power curve.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:10 AM
HaveBlue

well glad to hear your top of the class ..congrates..but seems you have a fair bit to go..and yes engines are heavy chunks...hence the good ole block and tackle for the hard stuff, or just a nice engine hoist will take care of that for you..

what you describe is pretty standard..the end of turbo lag...of course conrods dont like max pressure at idle..hence your turbo can't be spooled up just past idle then ..its progressive..there wouldn't be to many factory turbo cars that close of the exhaust gas to turbos
and by the way it doesn't fit 10 PSI into a cylinder, this is the amount of compressed force used to cram the ecu determined amount of air/fuel charge

as for adding displacement...no not really..your engine can only flow so much..end of story..the rest of the induction system , and exhaust system much equate to the extra charge controlled by ecu..so it is in fact a pressurised charged and not technically increased displacement..gues it comes down to using correct terminology

I found a torque curve..which peaked very early and then roller coasted up and down but at a decline (can't believe I actually wasted time looking up volvo stuff)..no site had a HP curve..but if you have a link to show this flat or is almost flat(so I guess in fact it is a curve) point it out..if it is that way..then think of the potential your engine is not reaching it gets to 222 hp so early and stays there till 5,000...nice for passenger cars..a waste of turbo technology..when so much more could be had.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:27 AM
eddiebelanger
My Feedback: (1)

ya, slow when those gts pull 6.5-7.0 0-60. you are thinking about the cobra, those are faster because of the better engine or supercharger.

me? well lets see i drive a 1970's lifted pick-up truck, a 06 doge viper, and my project 52 Chevy pick-up that when done will do 0-60 in around 3.5 secs, if we can keep the front wheel's on the ground. no civic for me.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:48 AM
The_Shark

yes i know it fools the ECU more air= more fuel= more power, and it is limited by the amount of fuel fed and amount the block can handle. its 10psi over the whole block. well the turbo does make the system charge the mixture, so its mixture is more than a naturally aspirated engine, so it would take a bigger displacement naturally aspirated. so it isnt bigger, it just has more mixture than it would if it was just a regular engine, without the turbo it drops down to 160hp.

eddie, good for ya, i hate civics. im a fan of American muscle, but this Swedish driver can keep up with the mustang and beat it after 3rd gear.

i will look for the chart for the 1994 Volvo 850 turbo, keep in mind, mine now has turbo R specs because the R only has a spoiler, different paint and wheels and a wastegate adjustment.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:01 AM
The_Shark

ooooo, big oopsie, im an idiot....

the torq flatlines, not the horses. but the chart is on the end of the artical. but the hp curve is impressive.

so, you can use that torq to keep that car rolling throught the HP curve, you can feel it too, it pulls strong through any RPM. its really fun i wish i had the nerve to peg it around some, i drive like granpda most the time.

for got to add, it has passive rear steering due to the simi independent delta-link suspension, when it leans the tires tilt in the opposite direction due to a series of bushing and links. it also has a fore and aft tranny (sadly FWD) so the torq is split perfectly between the wheels so i get no torq steer because of equal length in distance between the transmition outdrive and the wheels, its also limited slip.

here is the link [link=http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/press/pdf/presskits/850T5PressKit1993.pdf]me car[/link]
Old 04-06-2008, 05:55 PM
The Hedgehog

Lol nice educated post there. You said you could beat ANY mustang GT. A modded GT is still a GT and they will beat your Volvo.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:55 PM
The_Shark

ok, yea, except for modded ones.... didnt think through... hey guys, they have a evil 850 with over 500horses, try to find it it is unreal.