Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

homeschool?

Old 09-18-2008, 10:12 PM
The_Lost_Otter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default homeschool?

what does every one think about it?
Old 09-18-2008, 10:28 PM
[email protected]

Default RE: homeschool?

it has good and bad, for my son it's bad and after this year he goes back to a regular school. some kids need that class room and one on one with a teacher others don't. If the schools around you are bad then it might be better but if you have good schools then I say go to a local school. Like I said it does depend on the kid or child that has to do it and the support that he gets. For my son it's not working and he is falling behind a little, the program is fine it's just he is not committed.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:35 PM
calvino

i think its great to be honest, its one on one with the teacher, here is the other thing, homeschoolers allways place better than public schooled kids, and i kindof "wonder' why [8D]
Old 09-18-2008, 11:05 PM
The_Lost_Otter

welll im falling behind in my highschool.
my school isnt bad, but it is in the goonies haha
i wanna ride and i know ill do beeter when im not around talking when i should be working. and next year im going to miss 5 weekes of school? my
om and dad are against it. but my mom is against every idea i have
Old 09-18-2008, 11:07 PM
The_Lost_Otter

but heres what i dont like about it.
ill have next to no friends if im homeschooled. i can still hang out with them. but it wont be as fun as going to school with them every day. and its high school, i really want to pull a freshie prank this year
Old 09-19-2008, 03:31 AM
youwish16

i wouldnt home school unless the schools in your area are really bad. most homeschoolers seem to be the sheltered type(mommy and daddy dont want their little baby to grow up). when your homeschooled, you kinda loose touch with other kids and how to act/interact with them. i'd say stay in public school.

ive done homeschool before(for medical reasons) for 8 months and although it was at my house and was for only 3 hours a day it absolutely sucked. i lost out on so much with friends and i kinda started to keep to myself and not hang out with friends. looking back now, high school was some of the funnest times in my life, so enjoy it while you can
Old 09-19-2008, 04:15 AM
Pearl_414
Banned

Home school = hard time to communicate with civilization in the roads ahead. I wouldn't home school unless guns and drugs were outrageous at the local school, which is at many, many schools.
Old 09-19-2008, 06:30 AM
The Hedgehog

ORIGINAL: calvino

i think its great to be honest, its one on one with the teacher, here is the other thing, homeschoolers allways place better than public schooled kids, and i kindof "wonder' why [8D]
Trust me, home school kids do NOT always place higher.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:12 AM
cumquat

i am homeshooled and i am happy about it. i started in 8th grade and now i am a sophmore. it does depend on the situation, i faked sick alot and i got into fights(although i was the only one punching) and i had barely any if any friends. i dont know if i would be better off if i stayed in public schools or not.as far as i know drugs and guns where not an issue, although there could have been. there was an alternitive for the dalinquints of the district.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:31 AM
cumquat

p.s. i probably would have ended up in alteritive if i stayed. i didnt do my homework and i have an anger managment disorder, wich could have lead me to give them a resin to install metal detectors.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:44 AM
Longhair

ORIGINAL: Pearl_414

Home school = hard time to communicate with civilization in the roads ahead. I wouldn't home school unless guns and drugs were outrageous at the local school, which is at many, many schools.
Sounds like more reason to be in school everyday
Old 09-19-2008, 08:47 AM
The Hedgehog

School of hard knocks.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:56 AM
JB COMP

when your homeschooled, you kinda loose touch with other kids and how to act/interact with them.
Home school = hard time to communicate with civilization in the roads ahead.
Not true. I'm home schooled and so was bro. Both of us was home schooled from day 1, and my bro is the most out going, talkative person I know. Me on the other don't really like to talk, so if I did go to public school I wouldn't be much different if any.

Most of the kids I know are home schooled. What's cool about being home schooled is we home schoolers can do stuff in the middle of the day when public schools are still in

Plus I get to work on my RC's when other kids are still in school
Old 09-19-2008, 09:06 AM
The_Lost_Otter

im as out going as can be guys. i makenew friends every day.
so it wouldnt be that bad. the online school seems better, and ill still see kids. when the class does that group test in the librarys
ill look into it more.
btw drugs are in the school, people smoke in in the bathrooms.
Old 09-19-2008, 03:33 PM
Pearl_414
Banned

ORIGINAL: JB COMP

Not true. I'm home schooled and so was bro. Both of us was home schooled from day 1, and my bro is the most out going, talkative person I know. Me on the other don't really like to talk, so if I did go to public school I wouldn't be much different if any.
You're experiences may not apply to the majority.
Old 09-19-2008, 04:24 PM
hands without shadows

Not only that, but how can you say that when you havnt been in school with other kids?
Old 09-19-2008, 04:55 PM
JB COMP

ORIGINAL: hands without shadows

Not only that, but how can you say that when you havnt been in school with other kids?
I've been in schools, just never went to school, plus I've been around plenty of kids that go to public school.
Old 09-19-2008, 04:57 PM
sheograth

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed.

I was never homeschooled, but everyone (yes, everyone) who I know who has been had a really hard time adjusting in college (or even getting into college for that matter). Many of them also had a harder time transitioning to independent living as well, and some had employment problems.

If the public and private schooling options are even half way decent in your area there isnt any reason to homeschool if you ask me. School isn't simply about academics, you learn a lot about life and become a far more worldly and aware person.
Old 09-19-2008, 05:23 PM
Jailbird1818
My Feedback: (5)

All 4 of my cousins were homeschooled. They were socialy inept. Family gatherings were always akward because the 4 of them would sit in the corner and keep to themselves. Now that they have all moved into college they are getting more normal and social.

-JB
Old 09-19-2008, 05:24 PM
The_Lost_Otter

i hear what you guys are saying about being social and all but.
remember i race motocross.
travel form state to state
rc car
rc planes.
pleanty of places to make friends.
myspace, and a cell phone. im not going to be shut down from the outside world.
i want to do hame school so i can keep riding. my mom is really uptight about my grades. ive already considered taking online class as well as normal school.
the reason behind this s to have better grades. if you know of any good online schools let me know. im not completly sure of what to look for,
Old 09-19-2008, 05:45 PM
sheograth

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I were you I would partake in normal schooling, work your butt off, and reap the benefits later. You have no clue what a pain my homeschooled friends have gone through in terms of getting a good college education.
Old 09-19-2008, 06:14 PM
DaveG55

Don't forget, there's always private schooling. In many cases a decent private school is no more (or not much) expensive than home schooling. The benifits are smaller class sizes, usually a more creative curriculum and you et socal interaction and a better shot at college.
Old 09-19-2008, 06:25 PM
Pearl_414
Banned

ORIGINAL: sheograth

Agreed.

I was never homeschooled, but everyone (yes, everyone) who I know who has been had a really hard time adjusting in college (or even getting into college for that matter). Many of them also had a harder time transitioning to independent living as well, and some had employment problems.

If the public and private schooling options are even half way decent in your area there isnt any reason to homeschool if you ask me. School isn't simply about academics, you learn a lot about life and become a far more worldly and aware person.
I agree 100%. Take a home schooled grad and throw him/her in a major college, with classes that consist of 200/400 people. 1st day at college would be like, where do I go, whats a semester, whats chemistry, whats biology, whats physics, what am I doing here!

I'm lost as a goose!!
Old 09-19-2008, 11:10 PM
hands without shadows

I went to a private high school of 400~ people. Class sizes in the senior years averaged 15-25 people, 20-30 in the junior years. We did learn a lot and had a great time but if I could redo it I would have fought harder to go to a public school. With a small school size most of the budget goes to academics because the cost is basically textbooks that can be reused year after year and staff. You race motocross, you like rc, your probably a hands on person. The closest thing we had to shop class was a grade 10 electrical class which consisted of wiring a few lights and outlets. The closest thing we used to a machine tool were rusty corded drills the teacher bought at a yard sale for $5 a piece. People that weren't going to University and people from rural areas were looked down upon by the staff and a lot of the other students. From other people Ive met in the workforce and college I learned that attitude is typical in private schools. I really wouldn't recommend my experience unless you are dead set on going to a University.

I actually had a teacher call me out in front of the whole class and tell me that if I didn't like his subject I should go home and spend the rest of my life driving a tractor, whatever it takes to stop bringing his average down [X(]
Old 09-20-2008, 12:38 AM
Pearl_414
Banned

ORIGINAL: hands without shadows

I actually had a teacher call me out in front of the whole class and tell me that if I didn't like his subject I should go home and spend the rest of my life driving a tractor, whatever it takes to stop bringing his average down [X(]
You don't wanna know what I've told teachers in the past. I'll put a teacher in their spot, faster then you can blink an eye and laugh about it!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.