Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.
View Poll Results: A poll
mac
44.00%
pc
56.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

need a new computer

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 10:11 AM
[email protected]

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need a new computer

I need a new computer and will get one by X-mas as a family gift, I bought my wife a dell lap top with vista and it won't open files and does not work with a lot of programs I have now. A few guys in the IT dept say you can't get XP on new PC's like a down grade any more and I be better off with a mac.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:00 AM
Longhair

Default RE: need a new computer

What makes you think that a mac will solve all the problems that vista created? (not able to open files)
Old 09-19-2008, 11:56 AM
JB COMP

I heard alot of problems with vista and XP SP3, so I don't which I would choose. I have all my software for XP but I'm not sure if I could use them with a Mac, if I could then I'd be really tempted to switch. Because I haven't heard that many problems witht he macs, but then again I haven't been looking either.
Old 09-19-2008, 12:10 PM
The Hedgehog

Linux
Old 09-19-2008, 12:15 PM
[email protected]

ORIGINAL: Longhair

What makes you think that a mac will solve all the problems that vista created? (not able to open files)
My wife does stuff for the local school and they use macs and I have no problems getting emails on my pc with xp to open the file but on the lap top with vista it just won't open, also I can send stuff to the mac's from the pc and no problems. I don't know if I should wait for microsoft or just get a mac or get a pc with vista now and hope they come out with updates. It's a tuff one for me spend $1500, $2000 now for a mac or $1500 or more for a pc with vista.

I just don't know that many people with mac's, I do know a lot of people with mac laptops and love them to the point it's cult like.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:06 PM
Enzyme80

You can still get Windows XP. Check out newegg dot com if you buy a computer from them you can also get it w/ xp. I don't recommend Linux unless you are a computer or have a good knowledge of it previous. Or if you have a book, (it is a little more than just turning on the PC). Mac's are great but if you are looking to play games stick w/ windows as it is way easier to find any game / program on PC.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:15 PM
-Inverted-

I have no reason to ever want a PC again. Mac is great; PLUS if your into gaming install Bootcamp and XP or whatever Windows OS you want and play all your favorite games.
Old 09-20-2008, 11:20 PM
Nathan9492

ORIGINAL: AutoXMan

Linux

Old 09-21-2008, 12:20 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Entirely depends on what you are doing with it - though frankly the PC's only advantage if you ask me is gaming. Yeah you can emulate windows on a mac but for high spec games performance suffers. Also, a mac with a beefy video card can be expensive.

But if you're not into heavy gaming, I'd say get a mac. They do everything PCs do, but do it more stably and efficiently. It can take a bit of getting used to, but OSX is excellent overall.

My main PC at home is a windows machine due to some specialized CAD programs I run for work, but my laptop is a mac and I love it.

EDIT: In the interest of fairness, I also have to admit that my windows machine is running Vista home premium and its fine, I do find it more stable than XP and I've yet to experience the horror stories people talk about.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:44 AM
Longhair

mac is better than windows - lol

It's not the operating system that makes a computer better, it is the end user.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:49 AM
Revotrx3
Banned

I have a chepo wally world computer with vista, works great for me [8D]
Old 09-21-2008, 09:10 AM
Jailbird1818
My Feedback: (5)

I'm a Mac fan so that's where my vote goes. My wife and I have a Mac Pro 8 w/30" display, an iMac, Macbook, 3 iPods and an iPhone3G. I have very basic computer skills so I find OSX much easier for me to use. My wife has very advanced computer skills so she can fix everything I screw up. I do run windows on my Macs for work software. I like the design of the Mac computers and accesories (keyboard, mouse, etc). I also like the quality of the displays. A "budget" Mac is still the same price as a higher end PC but I think you get more for your money in a Mac.

-JB
Old 09-21-2008, 01:41 PM
Oasis TR

mac's dont get the viruses that a PC gets either..mac..way better
Old 09-21-2008, 02:13 PM
DarkFire989

ORIGINAL: Oasis TR

mac's dont get the viruses that a PC gets either..mac..way better
So what. I have a PC and I never get viruses. I say PC, Ive used them all my life and have never even thought of buying a MAC. They are way to expensive. And they have that annoying 1 button mouse.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:19 PM
jship
My Feedback: (4)

Just bought a new Compac. First Compac I ever owned. It was a cheap wally world . But with a high speed connection it works great. Running Vista.
john
Old 09-21-2008, 03:11 PM
Krazy Chicken

ORIGINAL: AutoXMan

Linux
+1
Old 09-21-2008, 11:34 PM
associatedrules

Mac is very good, but Vista is also very good. Mainly what you see is advertisement. M$ has fixed alot of things with Vista in SP1. I honestly like it, but it is different. The same would be true with the new Mac OS for me though, but since I am used to Windows I found it to be an easier transition to make. I just feel that the whole Apple craze and Apple's profits are due to the advertisement and not offering a introduction level machine. Even if you want to try a Mac out you have to pay much more than you would have to pay for a machine that would run either Windows Vista or Linux Kubuntu.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:38 PM
Oasis TR

all i can say is that it's obvious that you guys that think Mac's are all hype have never used one..and darkfire i bet you have some form of virus protection..
Old 09-21-2008, 11:44 PM
associatedrules

I am actually posting from a Macbook Pro right now dude.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:07 AM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my vista is a horror story, i still cant use my startup bar, you go to click and it dissapears, i cant download any software, its slow as a dog, it is very flinchey and little task and it locks up, any software not built into the machine it will not work 80% of the time, like real flight, Guitar pro, printers, wireless mice ect. and some files wont open.

IMO XP was the best system windows ever made.

so if you had the choice between mac and Vista, get the mac.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:41 AM
bluecaka69

I have to agree with the mac I thought they were crap until we got my kids a new iMac and I have to say I LOVE it. It is by far superior to windows any day and as far as graphics go What do you think pixar switched to macs in 03-04 for there movie maing needs (because MAC if way ahead of windows )
Old 09-22-2008, 05:30 PM
ELK

microsoft has a new operating system comin out. its called mojave
Old 09-22-2008, 06:04 PM
DarkFire989

ORIGINAL: PURPLE TO THE DAY I DIE

microsoft has a new operating system comin out. its called mojave
I hope your not serious. Thats windows Vista. The next one is called Windows Seven if I do recall.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:08 PM
Sugafree

mojave is Vista http://www.mojaveexperiment.com/

I got a new laptop with Vista SP1 about 6 months back and have Never had a Single Problem with Vista.....(I was Looking and the Mac's too.....but it's a big jump in Price Vs a PC with better specs)
Old 09-22-2008, 06:33 PM
Nik.

ORIGINAL: bluecaka69

It is by far superior to windows any day and as far as graphics go What do you think pixar switched to macs in 03-04 for there movie maing needs (because MAC if way ahead of windows )
I don't think you understand. Pixar uses Macs for some of there desk jobs. For the actual rendering of scenes and such, they use a form of Linux.

Saying that Macs have better graphics then windows based PCs is pretty foolish, can you even BUY a high end new graphics card for a Mac? Of course not, because Macs usually don't run games.

PS Longhair.. you can use just about any USB mouse with a mac... lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.