Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

New Puppy....

Old 01-03-2009, 10:42 PM
BXMaxx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Puppy....

Recently (last tuesday) i added a new member to my family. Hes a 6 week old beagle both of his parents were used as hunters, he was 1 of 8 born on november 18th. So basicually im looking for any tips on how to properly raise a puppy. I have also a 1 year 1 month old chihuahua we had since he was 3 months old and also a 6 year old cat. Is there anything i need to know about raising a puppy? Thanks for any help

sorry for the big picture i dont have a program to make it smaller.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68313.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	453.7 KB
ID:	1102846  
Old 01-03-2009, 10:46 PM
HJJFFFAA

Default RE: New Puppy....

Make sure to train him to go outside. Keep a mop and bucket handy because you'll be using them a lot until he's trained. Do not use violence to punish him, instead reward him when he has does something right (this isn't just repeating what I've heard, I usethis method on all of my dogs and it actually works). There's more but I can't think of it now.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:04 PM
BXMaxx

I will be sure to train him to go out since thats one of my main reasons for getting a bigger dog. Im not one to use violence so i wouldn't. He does use the bathroom quite a lot but I don't mind. When you say reward what do you recomend i give him? He's teething so his teeth are very thin and small.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:12 PM
HJJFFFAA

Hmmm. Try keeping a toy at hand to reward him and let him chew on it for a while after giving it to him(this will also help with the teething. I would hold off on edible rewards until his teeth have matured a little (about 2 months). He isn't chewing up furniture and such is he?

EDIT: You can use dog treats for miniature dogs if you want as well.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:20 PM
sheograth

That's the cutest thing I've seen all day! - So cuddly!
Old 01-03-2009, 11:39 PM
BXMaxx

I haven't noticed him chewing on any furniture, but i know he likes to chew on hmm ... fingers, jeans, toes haha but right now it dosn't bother much but i know later on it will be a problem. He seems to like some well im not sure what they are beef flavored ices? So usually i let him chew that and a stuffed snowman.

He's a cute one but while he's teething i cant say he's cuddly haha
Old 01-03-2009, 11:41 PM
HJJFFFAA

The fingers, jeans, tc. thing is part of the teething he will (read: should) grow out of it. Good luck with your new puppy.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:42 PM
BXMaxx

Thanks, I know i cant wait for him to grow out of it.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:56 AM
Mekong

Most SPCAs offer puppy training classes. Dont stop at puppy, keep going till there are no more problems. The ones I have been to are relatively cheap and its a great way to socialize the dog.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:01 AM
BXMaxx

Im planning on it i need him to be well behaved because im planning on taking him out of the house alot. Basicually for walks, runs. I will definally look into something like that but im curious what age do you think would be suitable for me to take him? and maye a general idea of how much it would cost?
Old 01-04-2009, 01:05 AM
SAVAGEJIM

Beagles are smart dogs, they are rather easy t train, and if you know how to raise up hounds, beagles are just as smart.

As for upraising, even when pups, I remember my parents using the full spectrum of conditioning. We made doggie doors and as pups, we would pass them though the door back and forth so they become habituated to the feel of the flap on their faces and also so they are not afraid of the flap. So, if they have to go out to pee, they wont hesitate.

As for punishment, we didnt do anything stupid like put their faces into teh mess of roll up news papers, I remember my parents yelling at the poor dogs, and that was enough since they would run under the table with their tails under their legs. They got the clue very fast, and no physical punishment at all.

Punishment is not only an active action, their is also something called negative punishment. No, this i not spanking or anything like that, what negative punishment is is the removal of a reward from the dog. So, lets say two dogs are fighting over food. To stop them from fighting, you immediately take the food away and the dogs get sad because they lost something they wanted. This action, plus using other commands as "SIT!" to calm teh dogs is actually very effective. They become attentive and know to start behaving properly , and they will actually take turns waiting for morsels of food you hand out to them.

Smart dogs are a double edged sword though. Yes, they learn fast and are much easier to train, BUT the smart ones will actually wind up conditioning and training you too. Lets say you teach a dog to do a trick, like spin around, and you give it a treat for dong teh tick. If you are not on top of things, you will find yourself see your dog do the trick in front of you for no appearant reason, and you response would be to automatically get a treat for the dog. The dog has therefore trained you to give it food whenever it wants by doing the trick in front of you.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:16 AM
Mr. Mugen

I love beagles! They rock! Just don't let him run outside unattended....they chase anything! Seriously if they sniff a rabbit a mile away, they go looking for him. If it's another dog....they go for it too. I have picked up 6 beagles wandering in the woods and on the roads lost....everytime it was the same thing. The owner left them outside for too long and they split after who knows what.

All the advise I can give.

Kevin
Old 01-04-2009, 01:22 AM
HJJFFFAA

ORIGINAL: Mr. Mugen

I love beagles! They rock! Just don't let him run outside unattended....they chase anything! Seriously if they sniff a rabbit a mile away, they go looking for him. If it's another dog....they go for it too. I have picked up 6 beagles wandering in the woods and on the roads lost....everytime it was the same thing. The owner left them outside for too long and they split after who knows what.

All the advise I can give.

Kevin
Yes, also be careful of what you have in your yard. If your dog decided to chase something obstacles in your yard can trip him up and he may hurt himself. My dog chases squirrels a lot and just this past weekend he had a gash tore into his foot by a glass vase that broke from the fluctuating temperatures.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:23 AM
Mekong

ORIGINAL: BXMaxx

Im planning on it i need him to be well behaved because im planning on taking him out of the house alot. Basicually for walks, runs. I will definally look into something like that but im curious what age do you think would be suitable for me to take him? and maye a general idea of how much it would cost?

Call your local SPCA they will tell you. I remember it being really cheap, and at some of the places even free if the dog was adopted or rescued.

Old 01-04-2009, 01:27 AM
HJJFFFAA

ORIGINAL: Mekong

Call your local SPCA they will tell you. I remember it being really cheap, and at some of the places even free if the dog was adopted or rescued.

Take him where?
Old 01-04-2009, 01:30 AM
BXMaxx

Thanks for the advice ill definatly keep those in mind.

like i said im not into physical punishment im sure this dog is going to train me but i dont mind [8D] hes my first so im willing to do whatever possible to raise him right.
i would never let him run alone because i live in the city and the last thing i need is him running into the street.

Ive also loved beagles since i was younger because we had one in the family. I've read and spoke to a few people who just use beagles for hunting and to say they didnt really care much for the dog. Where i got him from his parents were hunters n they were well taken care of but the guy didnt worry to much about them running away in the woods which i thought was odd.

im going to see when hes a little older ill call to see how much it cost so lets say in 2 months. Hell be comming with me on runs n to the park just normal stuff
Old 01-06-2009, 03:37 PM
BXMaxx

i got a few more pictures they also might be big... but a update i finally got the house setup for a puppy n things seems to be a lot better, i found some small bones which are soft that he loves to chew so its not so bad.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44298.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	1104912   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15633.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	407.0 KB
ID:	1104913   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dz81003.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	1104914  
Old 01-06-2009, 05:30 PM
MadManAndrew

I have 5 dogs, all used the same training method, all (including 3 chiuahahas) are very obediant. They go to thier kennels when you say "bed" or "kennel, go to the door when you say "out" or "potty", and sit, stay, and heal.To house train (potty train) we just used stern "NO!"'s and light pats on the butt when they went in the house and then put them out for 15 minutes.When they whine at the door to go to the bathroom, they get a treat and then we put them out and we also praised them for going outside...As for training them to go to the door when you say out or to the kennel when you say bed: when you're placing them into thier kennel say "go to bed" or just "bed" and when you put the dogs out say "go to the bathroom" or "go potty" or just "out"...after awhile of this, they will learn what these words mean...
Old 01-06-2009, 05:36 PM
MadManAndrew

Where i got him from his parents were hunters n they were well taken care of but the guy didnt worry to much about them running away in the woods which i thought was odd.

im going to see when hes a little older ill call to see how much it cost so lets say in 2 months. Hell be comming with me on runs n to the park just normal stuff
1. A dog that loves his owner will always come back. They can't get "lost" because they can easily backtrack by sniffing out thier own trail.
2. Dogs are supposed to be 6 months before you start formal training, but things like training you r dog to run with you and stuff can be started as soon as he loses his hyper puppy drive and starts to calm down and stay focused on what hes doing...
Old 01-06-2009, 05:38 PM
redfisher1974

Cute puppy....I always wanted a beagle pup.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:17 PM
SlashBasher
My Feedback: (8)

They learn faster when young, teach him now[&:]
Old 01-06-2009, 07:00 PM
BXMaxx

Im planning on starting the training after he gets his shots since we still have yet to take him.. our other dog also listens when we tell him to do something so i know it just takes time.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:50 PM
madmax22

cool dog! My friend just got a puppy to (bout a year ago) and it got FAT!!!!!!!!!! no offence but the thing is huge! 85lbs for a yellow lab?? ouch! I have a black lab (got her at 8 months) she is going to be 10 years old and we just took to the vet and shes at 64lbs, the vet said she is "ripped" for her age. Just starting to get white "fuzz" under her chin. When we were training her, the first thing i think you need to teach it is SIT and to cry or paw at the door when it has to go to the bathroom. Its good to try and keep it around other dogs when its a puppy so when you are jogging in the park and it sees another dog it doesnt flip. Also the sit and stay trick is also good. Good luck, remember not to spoil it or it will get rotten and hate everything but you, DONT OVERFEED IT!!!!!
Old 01-07-2009, 10:07 PM
MadManAndrew

ORIGINAL: madmax22

cool dog! My friend just got a puppy to (bout a year ago) and it got FAT!!!!!!!!!! no offence but the thing is huge! 85lbs for a yellow lab?? ouch! I have a black lab (got her at 8 months) she is going to be 10 years old and we just took to the vet and shes at 64lbs, the vet said she is "ripped" for her age. Just starting to get white "fuzz" under her chin. When we were training her, the first thing i think you need to teach it is SIT and to cry or paw at the door when it has to go to the bathroom. Its good to try and keep it around other dogs when its a puppy so when you are jogging in the park and it sees another dog it doesnt flip. Also the sit and stay trick is also good. Good luck, remember not to spoil it or it will get rotten and hate everything but you, DONT OVERFEED IT!!!!!
A healthy full-bred lab should be upper 70's to lower 100's depending on his genes. I had a very muscular black lab that weighed about 89. He was awesome, but got put down by the pound when he got out of our yard...The lab I got now is lab/border collie and she is about 47lbs. If your lab is only 64, put some weight on it...