Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

2012 doomsday?

Old 01-15-2009, 05:14 AM
Sugafree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2012 doomsday?

The Sun's not going change much (atleast that any of Us will See ) for the next few Billion Years
Old 01-15-2009, 09:03 AM
slayerphonics

ORIGINAL: Sugafree

The Sun's not going change much (atleast that any of Us will See ) for the next few Billion Years
we do see and feel the sun change it goes through 12 year cycles of increased and decreased activity. I remember back in 04, there was a sun spot so big that during the sunrise when it was possible to look at the sun you could see the spot on the bottom right corner.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:41 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Well, here is a rather intersting concept for man-"forming" a star system like our beloved Solar system: Dyson-star system structres!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyson_sphere

A Dyson shpere would be very hard to achieve since we would prbably have to literally dismantle the asteroid belt for materials, and we might even have to sacrifice other bodies, like Mercury, Venus, Mars, and the moons of the jovains for more materials. And even the asteroidsand planetoids of the Kuyper belt and if the oort field has substantial materials, those too! I have not done the calculations yet, but according to this link, to make a shell with a thickness of 3kilometers at 1AU from the Sun would required tremendous amounts of material. And 3Km is literally way thinner than paper thin when considering the magnitude of an AU.

To prepare for the eventual expansion of the Sun as it bloats from running out of H2, I suggest that Dyson rings would be the way to go. And another larger outer Dyson ring to fall back upon for when the Sun expands.

Another downside of a Dyson sphere over a Dyson ring: Asteroids and comets coursing into the inner solar system! They will perforate the paper thin 3Km thick Dyson sphere walls like a bumble bee with a machine-gun stinger! At least a Dyson ring can be made considerably thick for the amount of material needed to make a Dyson Sphere such that the ring could actually absorb the impact, and the mass of the comet/asteroid would actially add itself to the ring. Of course, to keep the ring from becoming lop-sided siuch that the Dyson ring would be pulled apart by the Jovains' and the Sun's gravatational fields, that additional mass needs to be redistributed. Can you emangine what kind of mega-bulldozers we would have to invent to doze that much material effectively? They would probably have to be as big as Manhatton Island!
Old 01-16-2009, 12:15 AM
Anomie

You may be watching too much Star Trek
Old 01-16-2009, 01:22 AM
SAVAGEJIM

Actually, I knew about Dyson spheres before I saw that episode of Star Trek Next Gen. I dint know they were called Dyson Spheres, but I often day-dreamt of what it would be like to enclose a spherical volume with the radius of one AU? I was more or less trying to dream up ways to come up with much more land surface for combating overpopulation, lack of suitable farming lands, and expanding life over a much much larger land area.

The earth has about 197 million miles^2 total surface area, 70% of it which we kiss good bye too because water takes up that area. Since one AU is about 241 million miles, a Dyson sphere of one AU would provide no less than 728 quadrillion miles^2!!!!!! If my arithmetic is correct, that is more than 3 billion times more land surface!!!! So, assuming the Earth human population can max out at 6billion (pop today, well, actually more), a Dyson Sphere of one AU radius will support 18quintillion people!

This is however assuming many many factors. One, there is enough gas in the Solar system to make that much breatheable air to support a bioshpere over such a massive area. Is there is eough soil from asteroids to make fertile topsoil to support plantlife. Is there is enough water from ice asteroids (the Kuyper and Orrt fileds?) to place enough life-suitable water over such a large surface. Another issue is lack of molten activity. What I mean is volcanoes. Underwater volcanoes are an absolute must to creating brine in the seas to support salt water life. A Dyson sphere, unless it is thick enough, will be too thin to support molten mantle like lava.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:30 AM
splcrazy

hey SAVAGEJIM LOL you love saying PLANETOIDS LOL come on type it again
Old 01-16-2009, 02:07 AM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: splcrazy

hey SAVAGEJIM LOL you love saying PLANETOIDS LOL come on type it again
Hemroids? You better buy some Preperation H for that!

PLANETOID! PLANETOID! PLANETOID!

What is intersting is anything in the Kuyper belt that is thrown into the inner Solar system is all at the will of Neptune. Neptune has the gravity to dislodge these things to force it to become a comet or meteor.

As a matter of fact, some guess that Neptune's moon, Triton, is a Kuyper planetoid that was captured by Neptune. I think that the Hubble telescope has discovered that Triton is wracked by Neptune's gravity such that it i breaking up and being pulverized into pebbles. Pretty soon, if all this keeps up, Triton will be reduced to nothing more than another ring for Neptune.

Pluto, I think is too large for Neptune to dislodge and I think due to its distance from Neptune and its mass, it has enough angular energy to remain in the Kuyper belt. But smaller plnetoids like Aeris (spelling?) might be small enough and/or do not have enogh angular energy to resist Neptune's gravitational field. So, such Kuyper bodies can be set up by Neptune to be pulled in and thrown into the inner solar system. If a planetoid like Aeris does come into the inner Solar syetem and becomes comet-like in trajectory, I definitely hope the other 3 jovians direct it away from earth, or better yet, suck them into their own gassious masses and destroys them.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:45 AM
dar123

isn`t it spelt "kuiper belt"?
Old 01-16-2009, 11:47 AM
SAVAGEJIM

It probably is KuIper as I see that spelling more often. But Kuyper is the way I learned it. I dont know why there is a different way of spelling it.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:48 PM
dar123

me neither....
Old 01-16-2009, 04:52 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Yep, I think it is people who do not know how to spell foreign names that ruined that name too. Remember at how many countless thousands of names were absolutely butchered at Ellis island as immigrants were processed into America? Virtually ZERO German names were spelled correctly, that why Schmidt was butchered in coutless ways and became SCHMID, SCHMITT, SCHMITZ etc. I guess those guys were nothing short of donkeys and ruined Kuiper and spelled it with a "Y" instead.

Also, have you seen the Roland Emmerich movie the Day After Tommorow? He likes to make epic scale movies like that. Though the world does not end, the events he dreamt up are definitely cataclysmic.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:42 PM
fasterrcs

will the world end yes it will. will the earth get hit buy a dooms day asteroid again yes it will . when will it happen well no one knows . could happen tomorrow or in a million yeas
Old 01-20-2009, 09:40 PM
splcrazy

if you's go to that site i posted a few posts back , it shows the dates of near earth asteroids coming close to earth , there are a few nearly everyday . but they predict that there will be a serious asteroid coming our way 2013, 2020, 2036 if i remember correctly
Old 01-20-2009, 10:07 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Those two links are dead links, they cannot be displayed. Can you post an updated link?
Old 01-21-2009, 01:52 AM
splcrazy

try here . http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/ca/
Old 01-21-2009, 10:24 PM
SAVAGEJIM

The one asteroid, wq63, looks like a real hong-dinger of a rock!

2008 WQ63) 2009-Jan-03 0.0701 27.3 250 m - 550 m 20.2 19.14

Based on its mass and its velocity, that bit of rock would seriously do some damage to the Earth!
Old 01-22-2009, 12:15 AM
splcrazy

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

Based on its mass and its velocity, that bit of rock would seriously do some damage to the Earth!
did the link work for you this time ? its a very cool site indeed huh , even the nasa homepage is interesting . i can look on it all day especially the space images of nebulas like these ones , the pic of that sun is a real pic they captured its not an artists example , well both are real not mock ups .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64376.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	1116560   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79949.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	1116561  
Old 01-22-2009, 09:48 PM
SAVAGEJIM

That stellar outburst from the Sun is much more massive than I imagined. I wonder if such flare outburts would be a possible cause of destroying the Earth? Well, not blowing it up, but cooking away the biosphere os something like that. Possibly at least overcoming the Earth's EM field and radiating all of life into microwaved crispy bars.

Here is another thought: If the Earth were to lose its EM field, that is also an event that could end life.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:07 PM
splcrazy

that pic of that sun was found by hubble and its some other sun out there in the universe that was discovered giving off huge amounts of flare outbursts
Old 02-11-2009, 09:57 PM
SAVAGEJIM

I finally say that show about Nostradamus and 2012, end of the world, really intersting show.

In that show, they hypothesized that in AD 2012, the Sun, the Earth, and the supermassive black hole at the center of the Milky Way would align and all sorts of nasty stuff will occur.

I dont knwo what this means or if our orbit around the Sun is at such an angle (the disc of the Solar system that is) that it would be possible for the Earth, Sun, and our supermassive black hole can align with a direct line through the center of each. And even if all three clestial bodies align like that, I do not even see how that would even cause any bad things to happen, unless by coincidence a comet or asteroid or whatever is coincidentally timed to hit us at that instant and/or some extra-Solar system bodies will intrude our beloved home star system and shower us with extra-solarsystem matreials (asteroids, bodies, other planets, another star system coliding with ours, etc.)
Old 02-11-2009, 10:04 PM
HJJFFFAA

Maybe we should build an RCU survival camp. Wouldn't that be cool. Play with R/C's and survive. We won't be worried about running out of food we will be worried about our nitro.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:13 PM
hands without shadows

Yep, I think it is people who do not know how to spell foreign names that ruined that name too. Remember at how many countless thousands of names were absolutely butchered at Ellis island as immigrants were processed into America? Virtually ZERO German names were spelled correctly, that why Schmidt was butchered in coutless ways and became SCHMID, SCHMITT, SCHMITZ etc. I guess those guys were nothing short of donkeys and ruined Kuiper and spelled it with a "Y" instead.

Also, have you seen the Roland Emmerich movie the Day After Tommorow? He likes to make epic scale movies like that. Though the world does not end, the events he dreamt up are definitely cataclysmic.
Its spelled Kuiper, named after a dutch guy named Gerard Kuiper. Kuiper is the proper dutch spelling. It means "barrel maker" but is also a process in making cheese.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:27 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: hands without shadows

Its spelled Kuiper, named after a dutch guy named Gerard Kuiper. Kuiper is the proper dutch spelling. It means "barrel maker" but is also a process in making cheese.
That makes sense, since butter and cheeses are churned in turned and fermented in barrels. I wish he would make a barrel of nitro fuel though!

I wonder what great granddady cheese maker whould have thought if he knew his great grandson would have an entire portion of the Solar system named after him?

Or another Solar system feature named after another Dutchman, Jan (pronounced "Yan" I think) Oort, intrigues me also. The name Oort that is, not that feature of our star system since it is hypothesized and not directly observed to exist in conclusiveness.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:53 PM
hands without shadows

Oort, or its proper spelling oord, means area. Usually it used to describe any area near the edge of the country. According to Wiki he was born in Friesland which is a very northern province of Holland. Fitting.

Northern Holland has a heavy dialect which is why the spelling is different from the "proper" spelling. The dialect is so heavy that I can't understand anyone from that area.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:41 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

You guys are geeks[&:]