Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Cox Powered cars coming back

Old 02-07-2009, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cox Powered cars coming back

The blue is, I think, Dan's original car - my favorite #48. The red is the STP sponsored car. I'm jealous. Now all you need is a piece of flat asphault, a broom and a 16 penny nail, some glow fuel and a battery and you can go to town. Rock on.

Bill
Old 02-07-2009, 02:31 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for the comments guys. Truth is, I'm very much an "amateur" when it comes to collecting. Some guys are really into it. I just collect what I like!

I will certainly get pictures and videos when we go run these again, hopefully soon. The Gurney car is 90% ready.

Bill, correct about the blue Gurney car. Cox sponsored full size racing in the '60's; Jim Hall and his incredible Chaparral, Dan Gurney, Bill Shifsky and his Pinto funny car, Howie Keefe and his P-51 'Miss America', etc... When the sponsorship was dropped with Dan Gurney, they re-boxed the model, calling it the 'All American' racer.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36244.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	1129595   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ok29229.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	1129596   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze85967.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	1129597  
Old 02-07-2009, 02:38 PM

Darn, I didn't know Cox made a Chaparal. Nice. I'm glad you run your cars and don't just place them on a shelf. Make sure your track is clean or you will do "endos" as the used to say in the 60s (end over end). Enjoy.

Someday for me - a Gurney Eagle. I could have bought a nearly perfect one a few months ago but I didn't have the money at the time.

Bill
Old 02-08-2009, 10:27 PM

John,iam restoring testors sprite indy,can someone tell me that in the sprite car is it a mccoy .049??? and can you use any parts off a cox .049 motor?? or are they different???BY the way John do you have any of the cables that stick out the back the of testors indy car,on my motors they are broken,or is the another way to afix or rig something.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:48 PM

If it's a Cox car is it likey that it would have a McCoy in it. Dunno, could be.

Bill
Old 02-08-2009, 11:56 PM
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The parts are not interchangable...
From your description, it sounds like you need a needle valve with the long, cable extension.

Look for one for a Testors/McCoy or possably Wen Mac engine.

If you know how to solder, you can get the standard Testors needle (not that difficult to find on ebay ) and solder an extension on it yourself.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:17 PM
My Feedback: (2)

I had A Cox Vega back in the 70's, I actually still have a couple of random parts from it, I would buy one if they are re issued, as long as the $$ is reasonable..
Old 02-09-2009, 06:43 PM

billetproofcustoms,
i have heard from tom at Autoworld/Round2 said the Vega Funny car that will be out late SpringSummer will be Around $139.00,that includes everything,Launcher ,parachutes,car,tetherline, tools,manuals. i want at least Two.!!!!
Old 02-09-2009, 11:48 PM

Scott, sorry for the delay. I'm stuck on night shift again for another week... grr.

I'm pretty sure you won't be able to use any Cox engine parts on the Testors car. Very different animals. I'm trying to remember if the Testors engines has 'Wen Mac' cast into them or not. I'm thinking not, but they are clearly the same engine. I *think* the Testors engines have which "mark" they are; MkI, MkII, etc., and perhaps ".049" there as well.

I may have an extra needle valve I can send you. Besides glow plugs, let me know what else you need.

John
Old 02-10-2009, 02:28 AM

Would you do me a favor and share with me a means of staying in contact with this gentleman. How is he reproducing these cars. Did he buy the injection molds? Anyway, when I see the reissure of the Gurney All American Eagle my hat's in the ring.

Thanks,
Bill
Old 02-10-2009, 05:00 AM

I hear ya Bill. I'd be REALLY excited to see the Gurney car produced!

It's great that Autoworld is going to do this. The Vega is a cool car, and is limited to straight-line running only (not necessarily a bad thing..). I will be watching these guys to see what they decide to produce again. I think it would be nerve wracking to commit to reissuing one of these old models. Can't be cheap, and quite a few copies would need to sell to make it worthwhile.

John
Old 02-10-2009, 05:06 AM

ORIGINAL: John Cole

I hear ya Bill. I'd be REALLY excited to see the Gurney car produced!

It's great that Autoworld is going to do this. The Vega is a cool car, and is limited to straight-line running only (not necessarily a bad thing..). I will be watching these guys to see what they decide to produce again. I think it would be nerve wracking to commit to reissuing one of these old models. Can't be cheap, and quite a few copies would need to sell to make it worthwhile.

John
Yes, I support their undertaking. Do they have a website like autoworld.com or something.

Thanks,
Bill
Old 02-10-2009, 08:09 AM

Bill, Scott put the link in his first post on page one.

Speaking of Jim Hall and his Chaparral;

Name:	Yw68161.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	1132123   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13113.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	1132124   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw59162.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	1132125   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bu57917.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	1132126  
Old 02-10-2009, 09:13 AM

ORIGINAL: John Cole

Bill, Scott put the link in his first post on page one.

Speaking of Jim Hall and his Chaparral;
I'm actually old enough to have seen this car race at Watkins Glen, N.Y. There was a huge controversy as to whether GM had secretly invested R&D money into his automatic transmission. Cool photos. Thanks.

Bill
Old 02-10-2009, 12:58 PM

So john basically Any parts I see that the package says Testers Mccoy .049 will fit the motors in the Sprite Indy????
Also let me say somethingt about Autoworld/Round2, he is a small company so he has to really take his time on doing these cars,and john cole hit the nail on the head,I think he said he has to sell around 4,000 to 5,000 of these vegas to make it worth while,thats why i want everyone on here to email them with Ideas and interest in buying these cars,I cant stress enough how excited i am about Tom doing these cars,So pleae everyone Email them as much as you want with questions about the Vega funny Car,and heis thinking of doing the Dune Buggy or Baja Beetle.BUT i too would like to see an reissued indy car,maybe one of these rear engine cars like the dan Gurney or what about a Jim Clark 1967 Lotus Indy car can you imagine ,Dark Green,With Yellow Rear Exhaust.But this is also what iam talking aboutif you want to see an indy car done next,then get everyone you can to go to their website and go to contact page,and tell them,we would like to see an indy car redone instead of the dune buggy,or Baja beetle,and if we can get enough emails maybe we can change their mind or get this on the list for next to be done.and this well show more interest in these cars.and even tell them that your restoring these old ones and running the cars,and tell him that their are quiet a few other people restoring and running them as well.
Ok here is what i would Love to see done in the Indy cars.....1972 mark Donahue's Sunoco Car !!! this is one of the first years rear wings were allowed.or Hey what about Al Unsers Johnny Lightning Indy car !!!!!
PLease eeryone Email these Guys.Here it is again www.autoworldslotcars.com.
So I really Wish We can Get more people on this thread and get evryone to email them.ok guys for whatever reason,this link is going to their custom diecast page if this happens,juts scroll all the way down and you will see a logo AW in the right bottom corner click on that to take you to their home page,and there you can contact them about the gas cars.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:16 PM

Hey Guys ,
got a question on the sprite indy cars they have that black starter wheel that fit on top of the back right wheel,do you guys use this to start the car,and if so can the car be running and take that Ugly thing off and put the wheel nut back on?? or is it once the engine fires you cant take it off?? just wondering.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:18 AM

Scott, I'm not positive all of the parts marked 'Testors' will fit the car. The glow plugs should because I think they only made one style. The needle valve inserts were probably the same too, which means all of the needles will have matching threads. Of course you need the extension style for the indy car.

I've never used the starter adapter on my Testors runner. They will start pretty well by just turning the wheel with a snap. When I was a kid, I saw some guys turn their stingray bikes upside down and use the rear tire to get them going!!

Yes, correct; once you mount the starter adapter, it stays on while the car runs.

John
Old 02-12-2009, 12:56 AM
My Feedback: (1)

I had the red Cox front engine dragster. It was the best toy I ever got for Christmas. Built sturdy as a tank. Steel wire spoked front wheels, real rubber drag slicks...everything was built to take punishment.

I loved to just fire it up and watch the rear tires balloon out just like the real top fuelers did during burnouts. It always died off the launcher though. I even tried slicking the pavement with soapy water to get it to spin a bit then grab and take off, but being just a kid without much help it stayed more or less the centerpiece of my plastic model collection for a long time. Wish I still had it.

Lots of people forget how Cox had slot cars too. Some are true treasures with the Chaparral 2D being the crowd favorite.

Monogram made a plastic kit of the 2D with Cox sponsor decals on it. One of a few LeMans cars that were sponsored.

Name:	Rp43007.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	1133452   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31485.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	1133453   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty65939.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	8.3 KB
ID:	1133454   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oi14744.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	1133455   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xi61529.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	1133456  
Old 02-12-2009, 11:28 AM

Ok thanks john,I far from running one yet but just want to know most of this stuff in advance,So have you ran your indy cars much?? of course being in nice and warm Az.Is nice you can run all year round,iam in Indiana Freezing right now,LOL.Ill have to wait til spring to fire mine up,So do you think if the motors are frozen theyare junk or can you take them apart and clean them in engine solvent and put them back together and get them runninng.whats your opinion on that??Becasue to me it lloks like you could take tehm apart and soak them in solvent and and then run the pistin by itself and see if it slides through the case and head ok,and if it would i think you could get it running right?
Old 02-12-2009, 11:33 AM
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Someone scored a prime Testors Sprite Indy car for $28 on the big auction site yesterday! Anyone from here?
Old 02-12-2009, 02:52 PM

ORIGINAL: Kmot

Someone scored a prime Testors Sprite Indy car for $28 on the big auction site yesterday! Anyone from here?

Ummm....as a matter of fact...yep
Couldn't quite believe it myself [8D] (that it didn't go higher )
It's missing some decals though...

It's all youze guys fault...all this talk of neat old stuff (NOS ) you guys got me spending $ where I shouldn't!
Old 02-12-2009, 02:59 PM

Hey JP...you been holding out on me/us? You into slot cars too!?[8D] That's an awesome Chaparral!
BTW, got the .09's reset, and will have something in the mail for you very soon...
Old 02-12-2009, 03:17 PM

Dang You Protop,It was my bid til you out bid me $1!!!!!!!! My high bid was $27,and put in $27 but then with 47mins to go had to go take my daughter out to eat.and didnt get back in time to rebid.Ok so whne is someone on here goingto be the first to post a Video of your Indy car running on a tetherline??????.
Hey Protop there is a guys on ebay selling repro stickers for the Sprite Indycar,$9.99 +shipping.
Ok how many of you have emailed Autoworld yet telling them what you want?? Come Guys lets get it going.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:27 PM

Sorry man...I just got lucky for a change I guess?
Looks like it might be a while yet before the snow goes away...but maybe by summer. I have a friend who likes to shoot vids.

Ya know sumpthin' Scott...you kinda shot yourself in the foot by tellin' a bunch 'o people here about these things...but I'm all done bidding for now, so...

Anyway...yeah...I've been in contact with Autoworld about slot cars, and thanks to you, will let them know that there is a renewed interest in the Cox "tether" cars too...thanks.[8D]
Old 02-12-2009, 07:27 PM
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Cool. Congrats proptop! [sm=thumbup.gif]

Hey Scott, share the wealth man. Ya can't have em' all!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.