Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Cox Powered cars coming back

Old 01-19-2009, 07:05 PM
scottman20006

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cox Powered cars coming back

Hey Guys ,
i havent been on here in awhile,anyway for those of you who are old enough to remember the Cox Cars from the 70's,well a company here In Indiana arerbing them back,and the frist one will hit the shelves around June,it will be the Vega Funny Car.i ahve seen theBox Art for it and Its very cool Retro Style.if this one does good ,then they will do more models,such as the Dune Buggy,and the Baja Beetle.if I get any moreinfo ill post it,they will post info about the car on the website in couple Months.its at www.autoworldslotcars.com.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:08 PM
Broken Wings
My Feedback: (20)

Default RE: Cox Powered cars coming back

Cool, I had a orange Baja Beetle when I was a kid.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:20 PM
scottman20006

Hey Broken Wings,
Cool My brother had the Baja Beetle,he also had the dune Buggy,and I had the Sandblaster.
this is why i want to spread the word,I wnat these t omake a big come back,could you imagine clubs around the would run these for fun,somethign to really do with your Kids too.I remembe my dad and me in the back yard and teaching me how to start it and giving me safey precautions as well,and then a bunch of us on th weekends running these cars til Dark,LOL.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:23 PM
kersplat

Where are they goin' to get the engines for them? Did they buy a large stock of .049's from Cox?
Old 01-19-2009, 07:59 PM
rcdude7
My Feedback: (264)

I had a sand blaster when I was a kid. I would venture to say that many of these cox cars will be bought by "old kids" who want to be kids again
Old 01-19-2009, 08:19 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

In the mid 50's I had a Cox tether car with a Cameron 19 engine. I think it was from the very late 40's or very early 50's.

It was great until one day the steel tether line (one side of a U-control line set) broke and the car hit a steel post. It busted the cast aluminum body all to pieces.

We were using the O&R red fuel that smelled like shoe polish
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd93950.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	1114824   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27106.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	1114825  
Old 01-19-2009, 09:23 PM
scottman20006

Kersplat,
from what i have been told by tom at autoworld,he had a company make them,he also told me tha tthere a quiet a few companies in germany,russia,and china that make them,they just cant call them Cox.I persnally think he should buy out the name.Yeah I too had the sandblaster,never will forget that Christmas,I wanted it as bad as ralphie wanted the red rider BB gun,and yes my mom dad gave that present last after i opened everything else,LOL.I would like to see Younger kids get into them as well,and i think as parents we should get them involved and interested.thats why Everyone on here could just spread the word about them.You know what they say everything comes back around.If you guys would like to see some box Art of it,go to this site, follow my directions.
go to www.slotblog.net. scroll down to slot car tech area and then under that is called paint Booth,then once you click on that, go to body paint.go to last page or page number 38,scroll down almost all the way,and you will see two Box Art pictures,they are awsome guys.if someone know how to grab them and post them here go ahead,i dont know how.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:01 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

http://slotblog.net/index.php?showtopic=108&st=720
Scroll down to post #731

Scottman...are you a member of slotblog too?
Old 01-19-2009, 10:01 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

I had a dune buggy....those were the days
Old 01-19-2009, 10:07 PM
proptop

I had a couple Dune Buggies, a Baja Bug and the Jeep...plus about half a dozen Cox controlliners...early 70's...then got into R/C.

Edit: Forgot...I also had the yellow van and Adam 12 cop car with the cam steering mechanism...
I later converted them to R/C.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:14 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any chance their arms can be twisted into making TD's as well as the Reedies?

David
Old 01-19-2009, 10:16 PM
proptop

Maybe we oughta start a petition?
Old 01-19-2009, 10:29 PM
Tee Bee

I'd be interested in some new TDs as well since I've got enough reedie Surestarts to last a while.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:33 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Wow, this is going to be cool. I never had a Cox car. I had a couple Cox u-control planes.

Interestingly, I am right now in the process of restoring a 1965 Wen Mac .049 Lotus Indy Car. This pic is not of my own car, but what it once looked like.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax73094.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	1114948  
Old 01-19-2009, 10:34 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

I had the dune buggy and the baja bug,,while I was in college my mom sold them at a 3 family yard sale...I bought another dune buggy a few years back off the bay for like $35, I ran it a few times...it was "the beans" back in the 70's...I remember the pull starter spring tearing my poor index finger up...but it was a good thing....Rog
Old 01-19-2009, 11:27 PM
mike109

G'day W8YE

Shoe Polish? I remember that smell - sort of sweet?. Control line planes flying in a park near where I lived as a kid. Someone told me it was Nitro Benzene. It was very popular with the B Class (5cc) team race fraternity as a range extender. But then it was discovered that it is also highly carcinogenic and it vanished from model fuels ovenight.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:40 PM
fiery
My Feedback: (2)

That shoe polish smell was Nitro-benzene. Nasty, nasty stuff

I used it for years in control line engines in the early 'seventies. Had a bottle of the substance; it smelled like sweet almond oil. I hope I haven't bought myself a ticket. I did splash it on my hands a couple of times when making up home brew fuel.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:51 PM
Ram Jet

If they power them with the Estes "Sure Start" .049s they are doomed from the start. These last batch of .049s are junk with very loose tolerences. It was my recent experience with these little guys that moved me to Enyas. I do still have a Thimble Drome "Champ" car with the Cameron .19, a Thimble Drome Curtiss pusher and a Cox Extra 300S. I also have a couple of the old LeRoy Cox .049s new in box and 4 Sure Start fishing line sinkers. All on display (except for the Sure Starts). I'll be interested is seeing what these new cars use for power.

Bill
Old 01-20-2009, 10:28 AM
scottman20006

Ram jet .
like i stated in one of my post,he found a company to make them,these will not be cox Brand engines,cox stop production a few years back,but iam sure he has had a company model the cox style engine just a different brand or name,I know they sound powerful,because he told me the car should run over 30mph.

Proptop....,yeah iam a member on slotblog,but icant post anything,i logged in and fine and when i go to post it comes up error and wont let me. i drag race HO slot Cars too.

Kmot,That wen mac was a cool indy car ,The one I remember was the Sprite Indy car,from testers.i think you had t osave so many proof of purchases and they sent you the car.
ihad the sandblaster as a kid and I loved it.
back to the Quality issue,one thing we have to remember is back in the 70's there werent much safty guidelines on what and how to produce something,like tom says now days there are a whole bunch of different guidelines and rules for using certain materials and he told me china isnt cheap anymore to make things like it use to be,he said its very expensive anymore.so you have to way in these factors and lets face it nothing made now days is like it was back then.i personally cant wait,and i was kinda in on it with tom,we discuss this about 3 years ago on doing this. i just want to get the word out and hope eeryone on here can help do that,i would love to see more models done,and like i said b4,if this Vega funny car does good he will do more.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:05 PM
Trisquire

I had the Dune Buggy and the Jeep.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:42 PM
draftman1

I still have my sandblaster, I need to get it out and get it running again. my kids would have a blast with it. I totaly forgot about until I saw this thread. I remember the dragster and the van
Old 01-20-2009, 07:27 PM
scottman20006

Hey iam hoping for a bunch of parents get their old ones out and or buy this new one in june,and get kids interested in this cool hobby.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:51 PM
jessiej

ORIGINAL: w8ye

In the mid 50's I had a Cox tether car with a Cameron 19 engine. I think it was from the very late 40's or very early 50's.

It was great until one day the steel tether line (one side of a U-control line set) broke and the car hit a steel post. It busted the cast aluminum body all to pieces.

We were using the O&R red fuel that smelled like shoe polish

I never had a tether car, but remember seeing them run. Some of those with the big McCoys and Doolings would just be a blur.
All those old cars seem to bring big $$ on the auction site.

jess
Old 01-20-2009, 09:03 PM
draftman1

when did they start using the "sure start" engines? I wonder whats in my sand blaster or maybe its a magblaster. it has the flywheel that you try to turn on top to start it
Old 01-21-2009, 06:56 PM
scottman20006

draftman1,
as far as i know they never used sure start engines,but if they did,they always seem to start and always ran great in any if the cars I had.i cant wait for this Vega funny Car to come out,and iam hoping he can sell a abunch of them,like isadi if he can,the nhe will make more models.I would like to see the Baja Beetle next and then i would like to see the sling shot front engine dragster and then I would love to see the sandblaster make a come back.
speaking of the sandblaster on EBAY a month ago,I saw this guys selling a Sandblaster brand new ,never used or open.I coulnt believe how mint condition this thing was,The boxe wasnt faded,the window didnt even any wrinkles in it.it was buy Now for $469,and it lasted less than 12 hours and it was sold.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.