Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Which video camera?

Old 02-24-2009, 11:24 PM
ArloRogers
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which video camera?

I would like to get a video camera to film some bashing and so forth. There are tons of them on E-Bay cheap but I know nothing about them. Can someone suggest which camera to buy?
Old 02-25-2009, 12:53 AM
Mr.SelfDestruct

Default RE: Which video camera?

IMO, anything under $400 sucks unless you get one with tape or dvd. I suggest getting one of the DV-tape cameras and then use Firewire to put them on PC. The quality is SO MUCH better with the tapes versus the memory cards. I bought a $300 camera that used memory cards instead of tapes and the quality just sucked. Get tape or DVD.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:05 AM
keithinspace

Personally use a Sony HDR-SR5. It is a True 1080 Digital cam with a 40 GB Hard Drive.

I had two different DV Canon cameras before this and they worked OK, but I LOVE everything going to the hard drive. It is FAR easier to deal with post-production since you only have to transfer the image files to the computer. As a bonus, you don't have the constant "tape hum" in the background...the camera actually recording it's own mechanism through the mic...very irritating...both my DV Canon's had this problem. And Sony has a great interface program and viewer that sorts everything by date. Even better, you can create a native AVCHD format DVD out of your standard computer DVD burner and watch that DVD through your Blu-Ray or PS3 at full 1080 glory. It also records sound in 5.1 Dolby.

The absoulte BEST thing about this camera is the "burst" feature. Put it in the "Slo Mo" mode and when you hit the button, it records only a few seconds, but spans them over 30 seconds at a very high frame rate. This allows you to capture video in slow motion at some 600 frames per second...truely wicked way to capture those body bending moments that we all hold so dear.

I've captured a copious amount of video of both me and my brother bashing and am currently producing it into a set-to-song video using Pinnacle Studio, which handles the true 1080 AVCHD files in their native format.

You can get this exact camera for about $500. I paid closer to $1,000 a couple years ago. I capture video at the highest possible resolution and have never run out of hard drive space on the 40 GB onboard storage. And if you do, no problem. You can delete file-by-file in the field, if you need to.

If you want to spend more, Sony has several newer/smaller/better models out. And JVC and Panasonic (I think) use 3 CCD systems that are supposed to be even better. But I like the Sony interface software, and the IR NightShot is really nice...like night vision...better than the low-light feature on either of my previous Canon machines.

Definitely True 1080, definitely on-board hard drive storage, and definitely make sure you have a "slow motion record" mode...I use that feature 80% of the time I'm recording our trucks.

My old DV Canon's? I'm going to strap them to my truck's roll-cage and get video until they die a very, very brutal death.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:40 AM
ArloRogers
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks. I checked on E-Bay and $500 - $600 seems to be the number. This looks like exactly what I need. More than I want to spend but what can you do. I'll wait for a few more posts befor I pull the triger.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:34 PM
Sugafree

Another option,

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca...hot_s5-review/

Probably find it even Cheaper if you look around
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...S_Digital.html
Old 02-25-2009, 03:05 PM
keithinspace

640 x 480 resolution of the video capture function in the Canon SLR is, in a word, crap.

If you don't have an SLR, would prefer still pictures, and think it's nifty to capture motion video at a momen't notice, then this type of function MAY have value.

But if you try and make use of this as a "video camera", you'll be constantly disappointed by the video quality. Especially if you try and watch it on a screen larger than an iPod.

I've tried to mix the two in the past and the results have always sucked. If you want video, get a video camera. In today's world, get a 1080. Anything less and you'll be disappointed.

If you want stills, don't bother with anything but an SLR. Point and shoots are disposable. SLR's take pictures.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:10 PM
Anomie

Imported from >> RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more >> RC Monster Trucks >> Traxxas Monster Truck forum

More appropriate here [sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 02-26-2009, 10:10 AM
walkingcarpet900

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go for a Panasonic GS 180 / 320 or if you have the extra cash a Canon HV 20/30

The 3CCD is amazing and provides awesome colors. The optical image stabilization is great also. And if you ever plan on getting different lenses for it, the thread size is very common. It also has a hot shoe mount if you ever plan on putting on a handle, light, shotgun mic, or any accesory.

The Canon HV series is also amazing and has optical image stabilization. It shoots a bigger picture and in HD. The HV30 has the option to shoot in 30p which is awesome.

I had a GS180 and loved it but for Christmas I got a Samsun HMX20c. It's amazing, records to SD card but has a 8gb internal flash memory. Records in full HD and has options of 24p/30p/60i and can take videos at a high frame rate for super slow and smooth slow mo. The videos are massive and provide great quality.

Also when uploading to the internet, I wouldn't reccomend youtube because they compress the video really wierd. Instead, I use vimeo and compress the video my self with MPEG Streamcip, squared5.com

HDD Camcorders break easily, my friend's broke just from it being shuck a little and the harddrive screwed up.

You can get a used Panasonic GS180 on eBay for about 200-250 and used GS320 for about 300. A used HV20 will be around 300 and a used HV30 will be around 400.

Hope I helped

Footage of the Samsung.. *not in HD, can't wait til I upload in full HD*
http://vimeo.com/3309147
Old 02-26-2009, 03:10 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently picked up a Fuji S2000HD for it's video capability. It shoots in HD and stores to it's SD card, and it's an above average still camera as well, 10MP and 15x zoom with full manual settings. Paid around $250 for it.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:16 PM
The_Lost_Otter

Give me a budget and I can find you a true HDV camera.
Oh and for those sub 1k cameras that claim HD, its the furthest thing from it.