Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

How does your family view your hobby?

Old 03-23-2009, 07:27 PM
pede_187

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How does your family view your hobby?

My mom, like most of the people above have posted, just wants it to be clean. My dad on the other hand, is always the one who will drive with me to the Hobby Shop(s). When I ran my on-road a lot, he would drive me to a pretty good parking lot to bash that around. A lot of the time, he will also film too. And Also I think I may give him my old Redcat and he might fix that up and run that one day.....
Old 03-23-2009, 07:30 PM
NitroVette

My wife is OK with me and my son enjoying the hobby, in fact she knows it's one of the best father/son hobbies out there. I've been with her almost 20 years and have been into RCs even longer so she knew what she was getting into a long time ago. Her only problem is that there are RC cars in every room in different states of completion along with several shelf queens that don't even see much use. That will all change soon because I have almost completed the 16' x 22' shop attached to my garage, AKA man town. We'll have room for more cars and she'll get her kitchen table back ! My 13 year old daughter thinks we are geeks but we have a great time with this hobby.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:07 AM
08hondacivicsi

my wife is ok with them. she bought me a slash for my birthday. she dont like my nitro buggy she said it smells lol i say. i dont small nothing lol.

But my dad hates them he said its a wast of money. and everything is to high in price if your brake something. but my mom she dont care.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:08 AM
sheograth

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The most upset my girlfriend has ever been is whenever I buy new Baja 5B or 5T tires - they STINK.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:12 AM
mechanizeddeath

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: madmax22
My dad, she hates them, runs away when i play in the house.
[sm=confused.gif][sm=spinnyeyes.gif][sm=eek.gif][sm=lol.gif]

My dad doesn't mind the RCs much. He just doesn't want me spending money... on anything, ever. I think in his world you work all day, then sit gracefully at home doing nothing at all until the next workday, banking every cent you make. Whenever a package arrives for me he grumbles about it. One time I got a tiny drop of CA glue on the table he refinished, and that wasn't much fun. That said, when I do run them he'll stand and watch, and once in a while he'll even run a pack if I set everything up.

Mom doesn't like them in the house because they are dirty and take up space. Most of the time I have the RCs on the porch, ready to go, and she doesn't seem to mind them there much. She also doesn't like anything chemical or electrical, as she is always afraid of things catching fire. But overall she supports my hobby. Sometimes we'll sit together at the table and she'll do her jewelry thing while I'm building a gearbox.

My brother thinks they are dumb, and can't figure out why I "still play with toys." You could jump a car over an inverted heli and onto a boat right in front of him and he would still think it was lame. I've tried explaining but he just doesn't get it. He's a lawyer though, so that isn't surprising. [&:]

My sister just got married and moved out, but she was a lot like mom. She did sometimes drive the TamTech Frog though.

The two dogs, Reggie and Lucky, differ in their opinions. Reggie is absolutely terrified of RCs, it doesn't matter if it's a micro toy the size of a mouse or a 1/5 scale bigger than him, he runs in terror if he so much as hears a servo. Lucky is the only dog I've ever seen who just doesn't care. He's so indifferent to them that I've actually seen him sit on the Mini-Z as it slowly passed him.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:32 PM
calvino

My parents are prety chill about it, my dad still gets a bit annoied when I make a bunch of planes or "mess up the yard" with my jumps... (ha, his 1:1 car stuff looks WORSE). Sometimes he will give me a lift to the LHS... so life is prety good in that category, we still get into minor discussions over the price of stuff but he has learned to keep out or he gets in trouble [>:]. We have 2 guinea pigs (indoor) so they don't see my RC cars and even if I did my RC18T in the house they would either run away, or act like a big object to run into . Lastly our neighbors downright zainy cat just acts like there is no RC car there (well he does get out of the way of the nitro). Somewhere I have a pic of him staring at an RC18T driving like 1' from him [sm=lol.gif]
Old 03-24-2009, 03:44 PM
madmax22

ORIGINAL: mechanizeddeath

ORIGINAL: madmax22
My dad, she hates them, runs away when i play in the house.
[sm=confused.gif][sm=spinnyeyes.gif][sm=eek.gif][sm=lol.gif]

My dad doesn't mind the RCs much. He just doesn't want me spending money... on anything, ever. I think in his world you work all day, then sit gracefully at home doing nothing at all until the next workday, banking every cent you make. Whenever a package arrives for me he grumbles about it. One time I got a tiny drop of CA glue on the table he refinished, and that wasn't much fun. That said, when I do run them he'll stand and watch, and once in a while he'll even run a pack if I set everything up.

Mom doesn't like them in the house because they are dirty and take up space. Most of the time I have the RCs on the porch, ready to go, and she doesn't seem to mind them there much. She also doesn't like anything chemical or electrical, as she is always afraid of things catching fire. But overall she supports my hobby. Sometimes we'll sit together at the table and she'll do her jewelry thing while I'm building a gearbox.

My brother thinks they are dumb, and can't figure out why I "still play with toys." You could jump a car over an inverted heli and onto a boat right in front of him and he would still think it was lame. I've tried explaining but he just doesn't get it. He's a lawyer though, so that isn't surprising. [&:]

My sister just got married and moved out, but she was a lot like mom. She did sometimes drive the TamTech Frog though.

The two dogs, Reggie and Lucky, differ in their opinions. Reggie is absolutely terrified of RCs, it doesn't matter if it's a micro toy the size of a mouse or a 1/5 scale bigger than him, he runs in terror if he so much as hears a servo. Lucky is the only dog I've ever seen who just doesn't care. He's so indifferent to them that I've actually seen him sit on the Mini-Z as it slowly passed him.

LMAO!!!! I fixed my post, it was supposed to be dog, not dad... My parents dont want me to spend any if my $$ on anything either, its always "max, I put your pay check in the bank" "What the H E double toothpicks did you do that for ma?" lol... woman... At least she can cook and do laundry [&:]

Little off topic but this is the off topic forum my parents wont let my older bro buy a motor cycle, but they dont care if i get one [sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 03-25-2009, 06:11 PM
evader8

because i race a sprint car which is very big bucks, they dont like it at all, but they have to deal with it.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:13 PM
So Cal

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My mom thinks they are "neat" she has bough me 2 electric cars in the past year and a half. And my dad thinks they are cool, a little expensive but cool. He says hed rather mess with full size stuff tho. So its all good around my place.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:58 AM
Bluebrew
My Feedback: (1)

Most of the people in my world only comment on the cost of the hobby. Even male friends don't give a rip about my hobby.

One Thanksgiving I brought my Savage along to my parents house to show my brother-in law because I thought he might get a kick out of it(he's very into HO trains). He was only slightly interested...but of all people...my sisters eyes were buggin' out! Not that I'm a sexist stero-typer but come on, she drove a Pacer when she was younger! What interest could she have with wheeled things!?

So I took it outsde and ran it. My Sis and my niece(10 years old) followed me out. Once I got it rippin' and wheelyin' They were all giddy and dancin' around, they REALLY thought it was cool! So much so that my Sis got the electric Savage for her and her daughter. They love it! BTW, she has two older sons and they could't be bothered!
Old 03-27-2009, 10:05 AM
warheadforever

My family (except my dad) thinks they are horrible wastes of money.....but then again, they don't have the bug so they don't understand. LOL
Old 03-27-2009, 11:09 AM
rc rock

nobody seems to mind if everything is in it's place. my parents think it's creative and that i learn many things. my sis doesn't give a hoot. my grandparents like them and srive me to the track... overall i have it pretty good