Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Say goodbye to pontiac!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 08:31 PM
The Hedgehog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Say goodbye to pontiac!

ORIGINAL: DaveG55

You can like Ford products on a personal level or not BUT at least they are NOT ASKING FOR MY TAX MONEY.
Thank you, they must be doing something right.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:58 PM
whipnet

Sad day. Maybe it'll make my 1994 Formula Firehawk worth more in 10 or so years.

There is nothing like driving an American V8 RWD.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:00 PM
feo

ORIGINAL: A.B.U

Shoulda dumped Buick, Saab, and Saturn, first.
Whaaa?! not Saab!!
Old 04-27-2009, 09:13 PM
HJJFFFAA

Yea they have the 9-3 Viggen. That thing is friggin' awesome.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:22 PM
unattainium

ORIGINAL: brett65

GM announced today that they're junking the pontiac line. Its the beginning of the end for GM cause they're addicted to the cash IV that the government has them on. It's pretty sad actually.
Pontiac goes down not because Pontiacs are the worst selling GM cars but because it impacts the smallest number of dealers. A weak decision.

It looks like the government is taking a majority stake in GM. This will go thw way of other state owned auto manufacturers, withering away and consuming vast numbers of taxpayer dollars. GM should go bankrupt and the divisions sold off to people who can bring them back to life.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:32 PM
Mr. Mugen

The big 3 ought to join forces and create US auto or American auto company. Bet between the 3 of them they could come up with a line that is sure to compete with foreign sales.

Kevin
Old 04-27-2009, 09:35 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

Why dont we just get rid of gm and send everyone in America a check?????
Old 04-27-2009, 10:04 PM
marzo91
My Feedback: (57)

ORIGINAL: Mr. Mugen

The big 3 ought to join forces and create US auto or American auto company. Bet between the 3 of them they could come up with a line that is sure to compete with foreign sales.

Kevin
We could call it American Motors. Re-make the Nash and Rambler!
Old 04-27-2009, 10:10 PM
whipnet

ORIGINAL: marzo91

We could call it American Motors. Re-make the Nash and Rambler!
HAHA. Beautiful man.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:13 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't say I'll really miss Pontiac.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:24 PM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: Mr. Mugen

Kevin
Probably one of the best solutions I have heard. Survive together or die alone. However, it sounds like Ford is doing MUCH MUCH better than the other two.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:35 PM
MadManAndrew

That's because Ford is an independent and not owned by some large Auto corporation...If the big 3 were to join forces, we would end up with NO, I repeat, NO American auto makers.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:12 PM
brett65
My Feedback: (18)

Ford still has the best selling vehicle in the country, the F150. They actually retooled a escape hybrid plant to try and keep up with demand.

Mad man andrew, I can see that you're confused just by looking at your avatar. The horns are supposed to be pointing down. BOOMER SOONER!

I've driven F-bodies and Mustangs, the quality isn't even close. F bodies were fast, but were cheaply put together and felt like junk after a couple years. You can't even compare the trucks, 90's GM trucks were just plain crappy quality. They had good drivetrains, but everything else like fit and finish just sucked.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:18 PM
MadManAndrew

Ford still has the best selling vehicle in the country, the F150. They actually retooled a escape hybrid plant to try and keep up with demand.

Mad man andrew, I can see that you're confused just by looking at your avatar. The horns are supposed to be pointing down. BOOMER SOONER!

I've driven F-bodies and Mustangs, the quality isn't even close. F bodies were fast, but were cheaply put together and felt like junk after a couple years. You can't even compare the trucks, 90's GM trucks were just plain crappy quality. They had good drivetrains, but everything else like fit and finish just sucked.
I'm sorry you feel that way...

Hahahahah...Wait. I just though of something. The F-150 may be the best selling truck in America, but the Silverado has been the best selling truck in Texas like 8 years running. I wonder why that is. Oh! Because real men drive real trucks, and real men come from Texas!
Old 04-27-2009, 11:21 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

This man speaks the truth. My uncle had had this gm truck since the early 90's and man it continues running but the inside is destroyed (This guys is one of those guys that if you touch his truck he gets mad) from normal use.

Dashboard...Horrible
The side door panels.... Destroyed
floor ad seat.....Gone
Old 04-27-2009, 11:27 PM
MadManAndrew

I also have a story to share:

My uncle is currently in possesion of a '94 Chevy Silverado...That Silverado started life by being bought brand new off the lot by my dad back in '94. It got treated like crap from then 'till when we gave it to my grandpa in '03. He used it as a work truck from then 'till '06. He then gave it to my uncle who's 3 kids have treated it like crap for the last 3 years. The interior has never been redone and the engine has never been rebuilt yet I bet even today it will not only beat any stock Ford in a drag race,but also in a car show.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:49 PM
dragonov3
My Feedback: (3)

My experiance with Ford has not been so good. I have a 2001 F150 supercrew I bought brand new in 2000. Right now I have 58K miles on it. In the last 3 months I have had to have the right front caliper and rotor replaced($700) and the rear end rebuilt($800). The caliper stuck partially shut on rotor and burned both up. Second time it has happened since I had truck. The rear end is making noises again,so I have to take it back in for repairs. I take very good care of the truck, all maintenance has been kept up to date. Keep in mind I would expect this if I had 100K miles on it, but it only has 58K on it. Its a great looking truck, but mechanical longevtivity is lacking. Think i'll go with Toyota next time. Traded in a toyota Corolla station wagon for it. Car had 253K miles on it and still looked and ran great "sigh" I miss that car.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:53 PM
sbmey
My Feedback: (2)

Oh well[] One time it was said that the general manager of GM said that GM was so big that "so goes GM, so goes America......Now weather this was a trie statement on not I don't know.

Know That I now drive to Saturn Vues because I got pissed at ford after umpteen years......But by the grace of God I have been smart enough not to have purchased a Chrysler Product since 1975.

Used to drive Studebakers, their gone, now with Saturns they will be gone shortly......Oh well, Just let me buy some more Chines ARFS....[>:][>:]

Did see where your tax dollars could make you a 50% stock holder, thought that would make a few folks smile........They will just deduct your dividends from your due tax bill!!!!!!
Old 04-28-2009, 06:08 AM
crankpin
My Feedback: (15)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Too late to resurrect John DeLorean. Talk about Ford. How many of you bought the stock when it was in the $2.00 range? That number was not long ago. Ford, (F - nyse), closed around $5.15 yesterday, and is seeing $5.40+ in up and down range regularly. The $.6.00 target was not supposed to hit until late summer, according to all the expert's. Look for $12.00 by July '09. Still not too late to make a few buck's.

Crank
Old 04-28-2009, 06:21 AM
Mr. Mugen

ORIGINAL: MadManAndrew

I'm sorry you feel that way...

Hahahahah...Wait. I just though of something. The F-150 may be the best selling truck in America, but the Silverado has been the best selling truck in Texas like 8 years running. I wonder why that is. Oh! Because real men drive real trucks, and real men come from Texas!

Here I thought steer and queers came from Texas? I must have heard wrong.....haha.

My pick up was made in Texas and I can say it has been a good one. The one I am speaking of has 234,000 miles on it and runs great. It's my work truck so I have no plans of replacing it until it meets it's demise.

Kevin
Old 04-28-2009, 08:23 AM
bisso350

The Pontiac G8 is made in Australia, it is a variant of the Holden Commodore. There will probably be major job loss in Aus as Holden expected a large number of these to be exported to the USA.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:39 AM
airega1
My Feedback: (204)

The Saab in post 28 isn't friggin awesome it's friggin ugly
Old 04-28-2009, 08:50 AM
larryf333
My Feedback: (2)

I agree with the fact that GM should've been left alone to go into bankruptcy. They would've had to restructure and rethink their entire lineup of cloned vehicles. It's ridiculous to take one model, slap on a new grille and lights and some different badges and try to pass it off as something different all together. "You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig." If they'd whittle the inventory down to the products that sell best and have the best reputations and resale values then they might be able to survive in the long run.

PS- I wish the government would've just mailed each person a $10K check instead of bailing out idiotic companies that have run themselves into the ground. The entire world would've been better off. Foreclosures and Repo's would've stopped and the leftover would've been used to pay other bills and buy fancy new giant LCD TV's and other crap nobody really needs, but wants. Me, I would've bought a few more RC's and supported the greatest hobby on Earth, cuz I NEED those!!!
Old 04-28-2009, 09:12 AM
whipnet

Weird, I drive a 1994 Pontiac Formula Firehawk and a 1998 GMC Jimmy. Both are just under 200,000 miles. The Mustangs of my friends that I used to embarrass and blow away have been junked for over a decade... loooooooooong gone.

Yes, I do take very good care of my cars, but still... The only thing that doesn't work on BOTH cars is my radio control buttons on the steering wheel of the Pontiac.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:17 AM
The Hedgehog

Hey Whipnet, they still make Mustangs, 'nuff said.

ORIGINAL: larryf333
I agree with the fact that GM should've been left alone to go into bankruptcy.
Yes, I am not happy about my tax dollars going into a sub-par car company.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.