Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Are people getting dumber?

Old 05-28-2009, 08:04 PM
HJJFFFAA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are people getting dumber?

People (especially today's youth) can't seem to do anything right anymore. True English is becoming an almost non-existent when everyone should be able to speak it perfectly considering most American youth have been speaking it their entire lives! Even simple mathematics is lost on children these days. It's as if they don't even want to try to learn anymore and it really eats at me. But even then you can't blame only the children. Today my English teacher had the class read a passage of The Diary of Anne Frank. English words were rampantly mispronounced and not one time did the teacher speak up and correct them. What? Is she afraid of hurting their feelings?
Old 05-28-2009, 08:39 PM
suburban_hooligan

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts
Default RE: Are people getting dumber?

with the internet and spell checkers and calculators, that isn’t info we need to know as well as we did 40 years ago.we put way to much trust in the power computers, hell yeah were getting dumber.
im waiting for words spelled in leet to be added to the dictionary, hell we already got slang in there
Old 05-28-2009, 10:21 PM
MadManAndrew

Have you ever seen a movie called "Idiocracy"? If not, you should...
Old 05-28-2009, 10:39 PM
Mr. Mugen

To answer the Title of the thread and simply.....yes.

Kevin
Old 05-28-2009, 10:43 PM
annie_himself

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: HJJFFFAA

People (especially today's youth) can't seem to do anything right anymore. True English is becoming an almost non-existent when everyone should be able to speak it perfectly considering most American youth have been speaking it their entire lives! Even simple mathematics is lost on children these days. It's as if they don't even want to try to learn anymore and it really eats at me. But even then you can't blame only the children. Today my English teacher had the class read a passage of The Diary of Anne Frank. English words were rampantly mispronounced and not one time did the teacher speak up and correct them. What? Is she afraid of hurting their feelings?
You can't blame kids. Kids never want to learn English and typical academic subjects. And isn't "true" English from England?
Simple mathematics isn't lost in the upcoming generation IMO, todays kids (pre-7th grade) are learning much more that what I did and others did.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:10 AM
Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: annie_himself

You can't blame kids. Kids never want to learn English and typical academic subjects. And isn't "true" English from England?
Simple mathematics isn't lost in the upcoming generation IMO, todays kids (pre-7th grade) are learning much more that what I did and others did.

I guess it really depends. There are some people in one or two of my classes that all they want to do is talk to their friends and talk explict, but quietly and are flunking everything. I get all A's, but I really think the key is to just listen and do the work that makes the dumb kids dumber and the smart kids smarter. Language Arts/English teachers are boring though. Also, kids dont want a boring teacher...they want someone fun, but who puts classwork in front of fun and laughing. Here is a good example, http://www.kpsplocal2.com/Global/cat...&nav=menu412_7Go to page 3, Top Teacher-Keith Duncan. Hey, he is my math teacher LOL.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:10 AM
Doonagoowin

Some grown up guy once told me this (I think it might have been one of my teachers)....
Ok, well I can't remember the quote, so I'll just explain it..

Books smarts are good, but you'll learn a lot more in real life.

Oooor something along those lines. Not quite as dramatic as when he said it though.. bleh
Old 05-29-2009, 07:10 AM
splcrazy

lol i still cant believe that in 2009 schools are still making you guys read that stupid anne frank book .i think that school is a waste of time , whaqt wers  tha qwestion ajen lol
Old 05-29-2009, 07:36 AM
The Hedgehog

Just move up a level to honors, then you don't have to deal with those people.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:55 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

People are actually getting smarter, it's education standards that are slipping and there's a simple reason for it... Nobody WANTS to be a teacher any more. Children are groomed by the parents to be a lawyers, doctors or in finance. It's a huge problem, already the world is running out of scientists, because people with that kind of mental horsepower are becoming doctors and lawyers.  Being a scientist doesn't pay well, and nobody cares any more about developing the human race, society has turned the attention focus to filling the pocket book.

Not to mention that when I was a kid, if you spoke out of turn in class, you got a rap on the knuckles with a ruler. Nowadays a teacher would go to prison for that, the children rule, so it's no wonder they only do what they want to do. In some ways we are going backwards, but in other ways we are going forwards.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:05 AM
REVO_RACER

ORIGINAL: AutoXMan

Sometimes that even does not work. If you take AP classes on the other hand, you will be able to study, get college credits and stay away from the less willing to learn kids.

Heck im in school right now posting this....Its a study hall.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:42 AM
Eman77

ORIGINAL: splcrazy

lol i still cant believe that in 2009 schools are still making you guys read that stupid anne frank book .i think that school is a waste of time , whaqt wers tha qwestion ajen lol
ROFL!!

Doonagoowin - while I agree that real life experience is invaluable, 99% of the time you need those book smarts/education/resume to get a good job, to gain that experience. In addition to "learning things"in school (grade/HS/college), think of it as a proving ground where you can show potential employers what you're capable of learning.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:57 PM
HJJFFFAA

There's no advanced language arts classes and I'm already in advanced math.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:57 PM
MadManAndrew

^What! And ya'll make fun of Texas education...We have AP and GT for every class...AP is a state regulated class that is pretty easy to get into, while GT is our school districts special, in which you have to be in the top 10% to get into.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:13 PM
annie_himself

ORIGINAL: Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: annie_himself

I guess it really depends. There are some people in one or two of my classes that all they want to do is talk to their friends and talk explict, but quietly and are flunking everything. I get all A's, but I really think the key is to just listen and do the work that makes the dumb kids dumber and the smart kids smarter. Language Arts/English teachers are boring though. Also, kids dont want a boring teacher...they want someone fun, but who puts classwork in front of fun and laughing. Here is a good example, http://www.kpsplocal2.com/Global/cat...&nav=menu412_7Go to page 3, Top Teacher-Keith Duncan. Hey, he is my math teacher LOL.
You may gety straight a's but I barely pass classes. I am a really a smart and hard working person but with no motivation or interest I won't do well in classes. In classes were I had an interesting teacher that didn't focus on NOTESNOTESNOTES I did very well in and I couldn't wait until their class. When I open my mouth people think I'm cheating or something. It's kind of insulting.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:29 PM
cmerritt

ORIGINAL: REVO_RACER

Sometimes that even does not work. If you take AP classes on the other hand, you will be able to study, get college credits and stay away from the less willing to learn kids.

Heck im in school right now posting this....Its a study hall.
AP is the way to go. I took AP english this year and am taking 5 AP's next year as a senior in high school. Then again i go to private school so there aren't really any "dumb" kids as you have to take an exam to get in.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:11 PM
monsterbombs

alot of young people going to university and things are well educated but in the

real world many of them couldnt change a tyre. life lessons are becoming less

valuable as people think they can read a book or look on the internet and be experts

at something. i left school early but many of my friends are still there. i might not be as

educated as them but i know how to get along with people, listen and fix things.

half of my old "school friends" might be earning lots of money in cushy jobs,

they also might still not know shlt from clay.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:26 PM
hands without shadows

Power is in the hands of the wrong people. It used to be in the hands of management and teachers. Now its the hands of unions and students.

If little Tommy's dad wasn't getting payed $40.00 an hour for being a janitor I bet little Tommy would be forced to work a lot harder in school.......

Old 05-29-2009, 07:54 PM
Hibityhupla!

it all depends on the school...in a bigger town teachers don't have the time for the one on one to get certain kids where they need to be...in a small town where your class might be 6 kids that's not an issue..not only that the "want" to learn is gone...most kids would be happy to play with toys and video games the rest of there lives...why do you think there's 30 year olds living in there parents basement..lol..the only way to make any kind of "real" change would be to motivate kids, parents and teachers...teachers just want the problem students out so they will pass them just to get rid of them and parents need to help their kids where they need it rather then sending them to go play because they are too busy...if we can make time to play with our toys and post on these forums we should have the time to read a book with our kids..but like i said, the kids need to want to learn too...it cant all be put on the teachers when the kids and parents are both to blame too...only reason i failed anything in school was that i didn't care..i cant blame teachers or my parents because they both tried...but without the want to learn and them forcing it on me i fought it as much as i could..just hope my kids aren't as stubborn as me
Old 05-29-2009, 08:34 PM
ryansiki

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.Grades just come for me(I'm even taking a Gr8 Enriched course).With English and french I do struggle a little.I guess I can't really absorb the curriculum as well.Math and science are a natural thing for me.I dont think that this generation is necessarily dumber than the previous(I don't think its possible for us to go backwards).I've even heard that we're the generation that's gonna do big things(maybe because we communicate much faster).As far as family,my two other siblings are not nearly as smart(not trying to sound mean),I think this might be because I was always self reliant, and only listened to my parents when I thought they were right.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:39 PM
Lunchboxer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I remember the day when I got 370 on SAT verbal..  [:@]
Old 05-29-2009, 09:40 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

School is not hard. People make it difficult for themselves. Let kids screw up there own life but don't let it happen to you.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:54 PM
splcrazy

the only subjects i excelled at school was bussiness management and wood work and metal fabrication cos those were the only classes that interested me , the rest was a huge bore and i failed all of them. but im the best at what i do in my skilled and highly paid welding job because of that .
Old 05-30-2009, 04:31 PM
SAVAGEJIM

True, in general, kids do seem more stupid than before, but I think that is really a function of perspective rather than kids actually being more stupid than before. If someone wants to learn something, there is no doubt that they will learn every intricacy of that subject and will ace a test for that subject. I personally think it is a matter of getting kids to want to learn the material instead of always force feeding it to them. Otherwise, they will do what every other human being does: memorize and learn just enough to pass the tests,study to the tests, and teachers will of course teach to the test instead of inspire and condition true learning.

Right no in schools, they are trying to force so much more information on kids instead of inspiring them. To get an idea of what kids are being force fed, watch the Jeff Foxworthy show "Are you smarter than a 5th grader?" and you will see that children in the 5th grade are actually learning what previously was high school and even some college material.

Also, I also think that the job outlook does place a depressing fact on many high school and college students. Highschool students now must pay horrible amounts of money to go to college. And not only that, both High school and college students are even wondering why they are spending so much for education when they will be in debt from school loans once they graduate and they cannot find a decent job because corporations of arbitration outsource overseas and literally pay slave wages to some poor third world worker in sweat shop conditions. And it does not matter what the major the student gets a degree in; enginnering, computer science, etc. can all be outsourced to some foreign equivalent worker who will take half to as little as one tenth the pay an American enginner or computer network administrator would earn.

It is about providing rewards. The student must be made aware of the benefits of having that education and knowing a good paying job is dependent on that education. No, I do not agree with paying kids for grades, as a matter of fact, in Texas, in my old town, I heard a school was paying kids money if they have good grades. I seriously believe that is the totally wrong way to go about it. What they should do instead is give verbal praise and recognition, and make it meaningful, not just some simple unenthusiastic announcement in the school paper. Also, such students should also be given the opportunity to take some responsibility such as helping the teacher with the coursework, kind of like a teacher's aid program using the very students in the class.

Most of all, I seriously believe that throwing money into education is not the only answer, though it has helped. But that money must be put to use properly and finding teachers who can inspire true learning instead of teachers who teach to the test in a memorize once and forget after the test sort of teaching. Ultimately, we need to ensure that decent paying jobs do exist for these students once they graduate (we must protect our jobs from arbitrage and corporate outsourcing). Otherwise, what incentive does a kid have to learn if his education will only be wasted?