Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

car choices...

Old 08-25-2009, 03:04 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: car choices...

See if you can find one of these...

VW Corrado... There's a 1.8 supercharged version (the G60) making 170hp (200hp easy with less than $400), and a torquey 2.9l flat 6 (the VR6)...

These are still amongst the best handing FWD cars in existence, an exclusive and cool ride. As I've mentioned in the past, there's a space in my garage for one when I find the one I want...

Old 08-25-2009, 03:08 AM
dsales

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know how your insurance works in America but over here there are easy ways to get round the high prices, just put one of your parents as the 1st driver and yourself as the 2nd, but be sure you can get no claims bonus on that. Also in the UK if you have anything from 1.4 litre and below then it will be quite cheap.
Is there nothing like this over there?
Old 08-25-2009, 05:51 AM
hands without shadows

I had a slow first car and drove fast stuff in the dirt. I avoided the teenage speeding tickets and accidents everyone seemed to have. A fast first car is everyone's dream but its generally not a good idea.

ORIGINAL: dsales

I don't know how your insurance works in America but over here there are easy ways to get round the high prices, just put one of your parents as the 1st driver and yourself as the 2nd, but be sure you can get no claims bonus on that. Also in the UK if you have anything from 1.4 litre and below then it will be quite cheap.
Is there nothing like this over there?
This makes your parents liable. Ie, if you paralyze someone your parents could be losing the business, farm, house, or whatever else they own. This isnt a problem for some.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:59 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I couldn't agree with you more there. That's why I won't be buying my children their first cars. The kind of car a 16 year old can afford, is exactly the kind of car a 16 year old should have. I bought my first car for exactly $800. Sure enough I crashed it (write-off) 6 months later. Boy was I glad I didn't take out a big loan and crash a Ford XR2 or something (was a hot car when I was 16. )
Old 08-25-2009, 07:47 AM
larryf333
My Feedback: (2)

You should get an older S-10 with a 262ci 4.3L V-6. This is an awesome and reliable engine. I should know, my first '92 GMC Sierra had one and my current '98 SUV has one. These are torquey engines and darn near bulletproof. In my GMC Sierra with a 5-speed manual and huge 285/60/18 tires with 18 inch rims, it would light them up easily. Made a great show with all that smoke coming from the road. Insurance was reeeeeaaaallllly cheap on that truck since it was a full-size with a V-6, but they didn't know what kind of power it had. I also put a throttle body spacer, high flow catalytic converter, Edelbrock cat-forward exhaust system with headers and Magnaflow cat-back Stainless exhaust system on the truck. It sounded better than a V-8 and I got compliments on the sound of it no matter where I went. You can find these trucks very cheap now and use the leftover cash to put some power mods on it.

An S-10 with this engine would be a screamer. And I like screamers.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb86673.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	1262931  
Old 08-25-2009, 02:51 PM
jikkuria

i do love s10's/sonoma's/s15's, but im looking for a car mostly as of now. that is, unless i see a stunning truck that i can resist. just a side note, a gmc syclone was the fastest pickup in the world for a long time. it was a banks/gmc joint effort. it did 210 at the flats, but averaged 204 over the time it was there. back to the cars though, i dont plan to hotrod any of them till i have the money to buy another daily driver. then i will commence to modify the older car.