Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Do you like it hot?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 02:13 AM
tommygun32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Do you like it hot?

Enzyme80, I haven't had a chance to try the Sudden Death hot sauces yet, I only got them a couple of days ago. OUCH about your accident. Talking about "hot sauce horror stories", I was at a party and got introduced to Dave's Insanity there. A guy was sat there eating nacho chips and DUNKING the chips in a bowl filled with just Dave's Insanity. I was getting worried about him 'cause he was bright red and sweating like a horse put back wet. A couple of people were trying it too, but just a tiny corner of a chip, not what he was doing. So one lady (Britt) says, "OMG!! That is HOT!!! What is that stuff??" So he shows her the bottle, which of course she grabs and reads and basically handles the entire bottle. Now, if you know this level of hot sauces, there's a golden rule you ALWAYS follow. "Wash...no SCRUB your hands after handling one of these bottles that have been opened." Needless to say, we told the lady to do just that but she ignored us. About 5 minutes later she did one of those lady like "I don't want to mess up my make up eye rubs". OMG!!! This lady was SCREAMING. I took one look at her, figured out what happened and shoved her head under the cold water tap, splashing water in her eye for about 10 minutes. When she was finally able to stop making all those loud girly noises I'll tell you what....she looked like she'd been kicked in the eye by a mule. Scratch up one lesson learned.

Moms Mistake, agree 100%. On the majority, green chilis are hotter than red. Even yellow, orange, blueish or even black (like the Hungarian Black) are generally hotter than a red variety of the same chili. The reason for most chili's sauces' red color.....marketing. Red sells better.

Haven't seen a movie in a looooooong time, other than stuff like space chimps, finding nemo, narnia, etc........kids and all that.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:48 PM
Enzyme80

i love all peppers and do not discriminate based on color. Only flavor and heat level.
Oh man i have touched my eye so many times like 30 mins after hot peppers or hot sauce. I not make sure to wash each time i touch one but you would think that i would have learned way faster than i did. I will said that I will never laugh while eating sudden death ever again.

Dave's Insanity is great (there are 2 different ones though) one is not so hot but great flavor and the other is knock your socks off kinda hot and also has great flavor.
With the blair's they are all pretty spicy and all have great flavor, but there is a huge jump from the green jalapeno to the red sudden death and i highly recommend them all.

Also, if ever making chili and want it spicier add a few drops of sudden death, doesn't change the flavor and gives it a great kick. read the warning (use a micro drop)!!
Old 10-25-2009, 06:13 AM
tommygun32

Flying home tomorrow night. There's a shop in San Diego's Seaport Village called "Hot Licks". The end all place for hot stuff. Going to be swinging through there at least once and stocking up.

Can't wait to try the Sudden Death sauces.

The way I like to cook with them is to add a couple of drops at the start of the recipe, like when you're frying off the onions, garlic and stuff. Adds a nice "ker-pow" to the dish.

Last time I checked it was Dave's Insanity and Dave's Gourment Insanity. Will let you know if he's added any more to the list. I also use his powders. There's one canister with like 6 or 8 pie cuts all featuring different chili powders. I have 3 of those in my cupboard.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:51 PM
SLAYERDUDE

I have Dave's cool cayenne and it's comparable to Tabasco, mild and tasty, goes great on pork rinds and pizza.
Isn't there Dave's Ultimate also?
I know the Gourmet is hotter than the standard Insanity...
Maybe they all say ultimate on them... :S
Old 10-28-2009, 03:41 PM
gelbschnee

if you have ever had this...you know the meaning of heat.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:34 PM
tommygun32

OK guys, just got back from Hot Licks in Seaport Village and HOOOOBOY!!!

Dave's Sauces: there are about 4 different ones now plus other things like Dave's Habanaro Mustard. There's also a new chili on the block. Hotter than a Habanaro, it's nickname is Ghost Pepper. Real name is Naga Jolokia Pepper. It's measured at 1,000,000 Scoville Units!![X(][>:].

Appearantly the HOTTEST sauce they have, and that is available on the market is called 357 Mad Dog. This one's 6,000,000 Scoville Units!!! Of course I grabbed a bottle of that and a couple of the Dave's Gourmet Ghost Pepper Sauce (this one makes Daves Insanity Sauce CRY) and a "few" other bottles of 'starfish' LOVE!!! [:@].

I'll post some pics of the bottles when I get back to Dubai. Bring on the HEAT!
Old 10-28-2009, 08:05 PM
IFR Pilot

Here's some pepper's I plucked from the backyard. Cayenne and squash pepper's. Not sure of thescientificname of the squash, but thats what we call'em. Cayenne turn red when over ripe and the squash ( Super Hot ) turn orange in color when over ripe. The squash are just stupid hot.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15867.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	1303960  
Old 10-28-2009, 08:32 PM
Enzyme80

There are different versions of Daves Insanity Sauce they range from mild with excellent flavor to i shouldn't have ate that with great taste.

Also, the mad dog 357 has different sauces and they do get super hot (up to 6,000,000) but most are around 300,000 which is still wicked hot.

Blairs also has a bunch of different sauces. Not all are available right now but they did at one time make pure Capsaicin which is 16,000,000 however this is not a sauce this looks like salt crystals. however they do have sauces up to around 10,000,000 (check out the 6 AM). i really have no need to ever try anything this hot but would love pictures when some one does.

Right now the best i have done is 2,000,000 and trust me it will kill the regular person to even try.

A great site to read about the pure Capsaicin is hotsauceblog.com this guy reviews the hottest of the hot sauces and has actually tried the crystal - crazy.

I do remember hearing about that new pepper and that is crazy, 1,000,000 without being extract is amazing. Can't wait to hear what you think of all of the sauces you just got.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:30 PM
annie_himself

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Moms Mistake

ORIGINAL: annie_himself

ORIGINAL: Moms Mistake

I'm from Louisiana, I need not say more. Although we don't care much for the liquid sauce, we do pick them off the bush. Freshness is very important.
What? It's all about Red Dot Louisiana Hot Sauce. If its not that, then its not hot sauce. I don't care what kind of contraption you have in your pantry. And no hot sauce belongs in the fridge. Ever.
Annie_himself, the thread says, Do you like it hot? Doesn't specify wether liquid, or from the bush. Louisiana hot sauce in the bottle is not all that hot, nor is the Tabasco sauce from Avery Island very hot. Perhaps in the New Orleans area they like the liquid stuff, but where REAL cajun's are from, Mamou, Ville Platte, Eunice, Duralde, Basile, Pine Prarie we rather pluck HOTT peppers from the bush. Many people think that if pepper's are red in color that they are hot, WRONG. I'll post pic's in a couple of days of some I have and I can assure you, red does not mean hot.
I don't mean its the hottest, I just like the flavor, as I grew up with it. I've tasted some others and there's no nostalgia behind it. Cajuns can live anywhere, I know cajuns in the Baton Rouge area (not New Orleans).
Old 10-28-2009, 10:54 PM
IFR Pilot

You right Annie, cajuns can live anywhere, but they are not born anywhere. I bet the amount of people that can speak real cajun french is very low anywhere south of where I live; even people in Lafayette can't speak french.How many people in your family speak cajun french on a daily basis like we do? They even have a different accent in those parts, Baton Rouge, New Orleans, Slidell and the sort.... They talk like they from New York, hehehe

I know Louisiana all TOO well!
Old 10-29-2009, 06:26 PM
Redvanmafia

i have all of thoes blair hot sauses, there INSANE!
Old 10-29-2009, 09:00 PM
jikkuria

i grow habaneros, and cayannes as of now. i bought the pepper pods to harvest the seeds and grow the ghost chilli, but they had been baked and the seeds wouldn't take. this year i plan to get more seeds and retry the ghost chilli. after i found out the seeds were duds i let people eat them if they wished, it was somewhat funny lol. oddly enough people had a stronger reaction to my habaneros, but im willing to bet that was caused by the ghost chillis being baked.

here are some pics of the habanero plants this past winter, they look sad. the big one was only 1 plant, but the smaller one was actually a few plants. the big one was just a freak, at a few months it was double the rest of the plants lol.i don't have any pics of my cayennes[]

Old 10-29-2009, 09:18 PM
tommygun32

Moms Mistake and jikkurea.....sweet freshies man!!! I need to start doing that too. Growing my own.

Finally got the pics uploaded to the PC. I've got the feeling these are going to be MENTAL!!! [:@][>:]

Name:	Vt58347.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	1304600   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16559.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	1304601  
Old 10-29-2009, 10:01 PM
IFR Pilot

Jikkuria, I bet those habaneros did good in the earlier stagesof growth and theystill producing, nice. Do you grow your pepper's indoor's, or do they see some sunlight?
I usually take 1 pepper of any species and put them in a paperbag at this time of year and let the pepper's dry out from room tempature until next year (spring) and start planting the seeds . I also planted Tabasco and Jalapenopepper's and they did great. The Jalapeno had a short season and the Tabasco are still going strong. I'll try and take a snap shot of the Tabasco this weekend.

Tommygun, you sure have a GREAT collection of sauces. Your taste buds should be busy for a long time. Are the majority of those brain damage sauces organic, or lab modified? Also, if you plan to grow your own pepper's, they like a well draining pot if not planted in the ground; they really don't like their feet wet, but must be watered every 2 to 4 days, just a tip...
Old 11-03-2009, 02:31 AM
IFR Pilot

TABASCO....! I grow other things but we won't go there. hehehe

Name:	Fd90737.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	207.3 KB
ID:	1307134   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52729.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	181.8 KB
ID:	1307135  
Old 11-07-2009, 10:31 PM
Enzyme80

other things... that makes me happy.

did you try all the sauces yet?
Old 11-10-2009, 07:50 AM
tommygun32

Just got back from my journey's and was able to try the Hot Licks XXX. I feel it's slightly hotter than the original Dave's Insanity Sauce. It did get a few people at work bouncing around and running for the water cooler (I know, that makes it worse, but they wouldn't listen to me, even though I'd laid out a couple of cups of cold milk).

I'm actually quite frightened of the Mad Dog 357 and Dave's Ghost Sauce....

Just the thought alone is making me pucker.....and contemplating putting the TP in the freezer...
Old 11-12-2009, 05:22 AM
tommygun32

Let me ask you guys something.

What do you consider to be the ultimate Wings Sauce / Recipe??

I like to go the classic route:

Butter
Franks Hot Sauce
A couple drops of any of my other REAL HOT sauces

Melt the butter in a pan till it's foaming, add the hot sauces and swish in around a bit. Then toss the wings into it. Easy