Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

who do i report people to?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 08:14 AM
Matt_Gruizinga
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default who do i report people to?

i just recieced a very strange email about some lady wanting to give me her dead husbands money but need my account info (bank account)

so obviously it's a scam, but who do i report it too?
Old 10-25-2009, 08:29 AM
cobra26

Default RE: who do i report people to?

Internet Fraud Division, FBI
Old 10-25-2009, 08:30 AM
luvdisstuff
My Feedback: (2)

just ignore it totally. Most of these scams are from nigeria. I always picture a sweaty guy sitting on a dirt floor in a tin hut with a computer tryin to scam the stupid americans. Ive spam blocked these e-mails . Just hit the spam button and your computer will filter this crap out.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:34 AM
cobra26

ORIGINAL: luvdisstuff

just ignore it totally. Most of these scams are from nigeria. I always picture a sweaty guy sitting on a dirt floor in a tin hut with a computer tryin to scam the stupid americans. Ive spam blocked these e-mails . Just hit the spam button and your computer will filter this crap out.

That IS the quickest and easiest solution. Although most present themselves as royalty from Nigeria, the emails are actually coming out of our prisons hoping some fool will actually send them money - and some do. Greed, it's a wonderful thing...
Old 10-25-2009, 10:36 AM
luvdisstuff

ORIGINAL: cobra26

That IS the quickest and easiest solution. Although most present themselves as royalty from Nigeria, the emails are actually coming out of our prisons hoping some fool will actually send them money - and some do. Greed, it's a wonderful thing...
I know it is. At first i would reply with really nasty e-mails to no avail. Greed is not such a bad think until you add the lazy ass criminal element. a LITTLE greed is not bad by itself. I would love to find all these royal nigerians and do( add your own torture) to them.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:37 AM
kistner
My Feedback: (10)

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

those emails are definitely scams, but the one I got about winning the morrocan lottery, that was completely legit. All I had to do was give them my credit card number to authorize the shipment. The 14 million US dollars are all mine. As soon as I get it I might be buying everyone on here a new rc. All you have to do is give me your credit card number so I can ship it to you.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:51 AM
samguan

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I almost fell into a scam couple years ago with this guy offering triple the amount of what the item was worth. I was told to sent to Nigeria after I got an email from PayPal saying that I have received the money from that guy.

As I was looking at the email, I noticed something at the bottom of the page. It said "Want free email? Click here to sign up now".. Right away, I knew it was a fake PayPal email. I sent an email back to that scammer and said I've reported him to the police.

It was close.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:02 PM
SAVAGEJIM

That is the absolute best thing to do. Report them to teh authorities. I dont know if the local police can do anything, but the FBI Internet Fraud guys are the ones to inform. Once they have enough reports from enough ppl, they will begin to act according to laws, regulations, and possibly interact internationally through the proper channels, such a interpol (if such an orginization has any sort of power to do anything).
Old 10-25-2009, 01:08 PM
luvdisstuff

ORIGINAL: kistner

those emails are definitely scams, but the one I got about winning the morrocan lottery, that was completely legit. All I had to do was give them my credit card number to authorize the shipment. The 14 million US dollars are all mine. As soon as I get it I might be buying everyone on here a new rc. All you have to do is give me your credit card number so I can ship it to you.
Would you buy me a sampede vxl. I will certainly provide you with all of my intimate financial info. thanks. hee hee
Old 10-25-2009, 01:53 PM
Matt_Gruizinga
My Feedback: (1)

well,
they have an account here. they sent me a pm on rcuniverse. i want to now what rcuniverse can do to get rid of this person. i really don't care about calling the FBI or anything. i'm just frustrated that that type of people would take advantage of kids on these forums. and i know that if they asked the right person they might get what they want so i want to end this now.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:37 PM
Kitsune
My Feedback: (7)

That's kind of weird. I get those e-mails from time to time, but through a PM is an approach I've never heard of before.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:14 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PM me with the details and their username, I'll see to it that Nathan is made aware.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:09 AM
luvdisstuff

Please let us know the status of this situation as there is a certain amount of trust vested in this site. The people who participate need to know if the site can get rid of people like this and they should prosecute to the fullest extent of the law.
Old 10-26-2009, 04:32 PM
REVO_RACER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just ignore it totally. Most of these scams are from nigeria. I always picture a sweaty guy sitting on a dirt floor in a tin hut with a computer tryin to scam the stupid americans.
No offense but this generalization of Nigerians is very wrong. They don't all live in huts. Most of them have home like mine or yours.

But about the emails: Yea Just mark them as spam and poof you dont have to worry about them. There is almost no way to do anything more.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:36 AM
luvdisstuff

Did ya notice that i wrote "i picture" i was not making a dig at Nigerians. It is simply my imagination at work when I see that these e-mails frequently come from alleged nigerians. Please dont be offended. The problem here in the U.S. is that people become overly sensitive to even the most innocent of statements. I guess we all need to shut up and stop voiceing our opinions if we offend people.Anyhow dude no offense against nigerians intended. It is what it is bud.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:59 AM
The Hedgehog

Most internet scams do come from Nigeria though.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:13 PM
larryf333

ORIGINAL: AutoXMan

Most internet scams do come from Nigeria though.
+1
Old 10-27-2009, 01:56 PM
gelbschnee

Do they have large companies with skyscrapers running these scams or something?
Old 10-27-2009, 02:48 PM
luvdisstuff

ORIGINAL: gelbschnee

Do they have large companies with skyscrapers running these scams or something?
They very well may As i said I always picture it another way( see earlier post as I do not want to offend. But thats just the way I picture it in my head although it could come from a sky scraper. I just dont like it at all and if someone in these forums have done this than they should be booted out and prosecuted.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:58 PM
REVO_RACER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did ya notice that i wrote ''i picture'' i was not making a dig at Nigerians. It is simply my imagination at work when I see that these e-mails frequently come from alleged nigerians. Please dont be offended. The problem here in the U.S. is that people become overly sensitive to even the most innocent of statements. I guess we all need to shut up and stop voiceing our opinions if we offend people.Anyhow dude no offense against nigerians intended. It is what it is bud.
Yea. I'm not offended, it just the stereotypical thing that we Americans think. My friend is from Nigeria, and asking questions really killed the stereotypical things I thought of them.

I'm just trying to stop some of the stereotypical things that we think. Even if its on a small forum like this.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:01 PM
iexion

When I use to check out career builder. There use to be some "nation wide" jobs where you deal with international funds. you just needed to transfer funds from account to account...

Another thing most people don't even pay attention to is when your receive an email about ebay and they have a link to the website. You put in your user name and password and then you get sent to a blank page....

You then need to log into the real ebay IMMEDIATELY and change you password.

I also remember when some guy on ebay was selling Hpi baja 5b's (Pre orders before they even hit the stores) and they we're being auctioned off at around $300. I had to go thu each auction and email everyone who was bidding to retract their bids and not to bid. When I check the seller's feedback. He had about 150 100% positive feedback. I then checked out what he had "sold". He was sold alot of things for $.01 with no shipping. I looked up some more and they we're all the same thing. The reason I had to contacted everyone was being the auctions had less then an hour before ending.

Needless to say I already reported this to ebay's fraud. The next day the sellers name was no longer registered and I had ALOT of emails saying thank you, Most off the people who bid had a feeling it was too good to be true. It just seemed kinda odd for a guy from Sweden to have 15 Hpi Baja 5b's for sell before they we're in stores.

Fraud comes in many ways. Just be sure to pay attention. This is always why im VERY "iffY" about being things from new ebay users, and people on the RCU market place.