Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Toyota Recall

Old 02-10-2010, 01:02 PM
The_Shark

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toyota Recall

is anyone fed up with this whole issue? this recall has been blown out of proportion because toyota is known for dependability, quality and low recalls. although almost all cars from the last few years to present have been targeted with the recall, and in all its alot of cars, but its not like the steering wheel is going to fall off in your lap (or lock like gm's years ago) or the brakes are going to fail.

what happens is the drive by wire sensor jams or sticks, causing unwanted acceleration, and the floor mat can get under the pedal and jam it (had this happen to me in a mini-van) a few years ago the Saturn sky (sweet ride btw) had bad fittings that caused a brake fluid leak- MUCH more dangerous than a sticky pedal.

this goes to show that media can both bring a company up, or swiftly knock it down.

propaganda to bring the US market up??

whats your input?
Old 02-10-2010, 01:09 PM
Eman77

Default RE: Toyota Recall

I think that, in the end, Toyota will come through, it'll all be ok, and they will continue to build reliable cars. The thing is, you said yourself:
"almost all cars from the last few years to present have been targeted with the recall"

That's a load of cars, man. Bottom line, Toyota issued the recall, it is massive, and thus a big story line.

On a similar vein to your propaganda theory, did anyone suspect the Japanese of negative US propaganda when the big Ford Explorer exploding tire recall took place?
Old 02-10-2010, 01:20 PM
Tjettzky

I think it's Karma for pulling out of Formula One.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:24 PM
J.D.T

if your loved ones were one of the 19 (at least) killed by this runaway condition you would feel differently, I don't like how they tried to make it all about the floor mat thing when in reality it was a hardware issue, they knew they had defective parts in 2007 when the first tundra recall was done yet they waited two plus years to recall the rest, that don't bode well lawsuit wise
Plus there is going to be a class action lawsuit against them for diminished value because Kelly Blue Book announced today the value of every car involved in the recall will be lowered by 2.5-3.5%.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:26 PM
Eman77

JDT, not sure what you mean about "you would feel differently".

How exactly do you think I feel about it? That it's not an important issue?
Old 02-10-2010, 01:34 PM
lee172

this is my take on it..

over the past few-ish years Toyota has stuck two fingers up at the sporty market, eg: killed off the Celica, Supra, MR2, even the Corolla T-Sport was dumped in favour of a powerful but heavy diesel replacement.. so couple that with high prices and boring designs (of late)..

the only thing going for the company (in my opinion) is their reliability, which has now taken a heavy hit..
Old 02-10-2010, 02:14 PM
J.D.T

ORIGINAL: Eman77

JDT, not sure what you mean about ''you would feel differently''.

I honestly don't know how you feel as you didn't express any opinions, Shark however stated he feels its blown out of proportion and while he didn't say it he implied he was sick of all the hype
I would never assume you don't think its an important issue, I however would assume that somewhere there is at least one person you care about and I suspect you would feel quite a bit different if you had been at a funeral last week.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:23 PM
larryf333
My Feedback: (2)

Yes, I'm sick of hearing about it too. But, it is a big deal. Hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of cars, trucks and suvs being recalled is not a small issue. Production shut down on all new vehicles until they begin installation of the new pedal design, retraining their workers and dealers trying to fix all these vehicles quickly.

The brake issue with the Prius is a major deal as well. If you're going 60 mph, any delay in brake engagement is a big problem. A couple milliseconds is all it takes to turn a minor situation into a life and death issue.

Will it hurt Toyota's legendary reliability, yup. But that's exactly what they needed. Maybe now people will realize their vehicles aren't worth the asking price and they will stop paying outrageous prices for ugly, boring, looks-like-everything-else-cheeseboxes.

I miss the days when you could see a car's headlights in the dark and know exactly what it was...

PS- Who do you think will wind up paying for this massive recall? Yup, future Toyota owners. Price bumps will happen in the next year or two.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:26 PM
Eman77

ORIGINAL: J.D.T

ORIGINAL: Eman77

JDT, not sure what you mean about ''you would feel differently''.

I honestly don't know how you feel as you didn't express any opinions, Shark however stated he feels its blown out of proportion and while he didn't say it he implied he was sick of all the hype
I would never assume you don't think its an important issue, I however would assume that somewhere there is at least one person you care about and I suspect you would feel quite a bit different if you had been at a funeral last week.
Got it. You had replied to me directly in your earlier post, so you threw me off there. Maybe you just clicked "reply" below my post, so the forum listed it as a reply to me. No biggie.

Old 02-10-2010, 02:30 PM
Lunchboxer

Brakes only slow you down....
Old 02-10-2010, 03:34 PM
redfisher1974

I make toyota parts and are numbers are as high as ever, only went down in numbers for 3 days.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:43 PM
larryf333
My Feedback: (2)

But you make parts, you don't assemble the vehicles. They're halting production on 8 models, temporarily. Camry, Corolla and some others.

NY Times:

"The suspension has the potential to further damage Toyota, whose reputation for quality helped make it the world’s No. 1 carmaker in recent years. Toyota said it would immediately stop selling the Camry, Corolla and Avalon sedans, Matrix wagon, RAV4 crossover, Tundra pickup, and Highlander and Sequoia sport utility vehicles.

Toyota said the move was intended to restore confidence in the automaker, and the safety of its products. One analyst said many consumers might have a different reaction.

“The problem seems to be getting larger than anyone was led to believe at first,” said Erich Merkle, an analyst with Autoconomy.com in Grand Rapids, Mich. “A lot of those vehicles are probably in the garages of families. It gets people thinking, ‘Would I want my wife and kids in the vehicle, would they know what to do in a situation like that.’ ”

It will also stop building those models the week of Feb. 1. All of the vehicles are assembled in the United States or Canada, at a total of five plants.

The models affected accounted for more than a million sales in 2009, 57 percent of Toyota’s American total for the year.

Stock in Toyota was down 3.4 percent at midday on the Tokyo Stock Exchange."

Speaking of steering,
http://content.usatoday.com/communit...ing-problems/1

and Honda's having issues with older models:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...ius09_ST_N.htm
Old 02-10-2010, 03:50 PM
redfisher1974

Yeah but we are JIT (just in time) we dont build parts ahead of time, All the parts are made and put on the cars in the same day.We have no stock or warehouse and are owned by toyota...And the two plants here in canada are infact producing all those models again.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:56 PM
redfisher1974

We got yelled at pretty good last night because somebody sent a vent without the sound proofing felt on it and toyota is not in the mood for any bad parts right know. So now we are not allowed to talk at all anymore, I tell you the japense run a tight ship.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:09 PM
CadillacDTS2001

so i thought i would make a sticker using there motto...
moving forward..........
Old 02-10-2010, 07:43 PM
The Hedgehog

Glad they took action on the problem. May take a few years, but I am sure Toyota will bounce back.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:51 PM
The_Shark

not to offend anyone

-but the Japanese run on honor, pride and integrity, any mistake is shame on them (as it should be with the rest of the world)

the morals are shown by immediately responding to the recall with a solution (though a costly one)

i dont think this will end them, but i think that this media chit chat is going to hurt them more than anything.

i mean look at the fieros- only one year only .003% caught on fire mostly due to lack of maintenance and it cut the sales down dramatically and slowly ended the fiero because people where afraid of the mass media terror of fires.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:04 PM
The Hedgehog

Yes, but let's be honest, Toyota's reputation even right now is far far above anything Pontiac ever was.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:06 PM
04DarkShadowGT

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

not to offend anyone

-but the Japanese run on honor, pride and integrity, any mistake is shame on them (as it should be with the rest of the world)

the morals are shown by immediately responding to the recall with a solution (though a costly one)

i dont think this will end them, but i think that this media chit chat is going to hurt them more than anything.

i mean look at the fieros- only one year only .003% caught on fire mostly due to lack of maintenance and it cut the sales down dramatically and slowly ended the fiero because people where afraid of the mass media terror of fires.
Not to hurt your theory, but you do know the US government forced the recall don't you? It also made them stop selling the offending vehicles. Google it.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:08 PM
CadillacDTS2001

did YOU guys know that Toyota was the first company to be owned and bought by a government?
"google it"....... the information found on the internet isnt usually TRUE
Old 02-10-2010, 08:27 PM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: 04DarkShadowGT

not to offend anyone

Not to hurt your theory, but you do know the US government forced the recall don't you? It also made them stop selling the offending vehicles. Google it.
Yes, indeed, it was forced by our government. Toyota acted way to slowly, and uneccesary daths resulted because of this. They are responsible and will pay the price, a high price. They will make a comeback w/o problem:-)

Gerry
Old 02-10-2010, 08:43 PM
JimG_AZ
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: J.D.T
...Plus there is going to be a class action lawsuit against them for diminished value because Kelly Blue Book announced today the value of every car involved in the recall will be lowered by 2.5-3.5%.
I wonder how this would ever work. Does this mean that I can sue Ford for all the money I lost on my 1996 Explorer? Once the Explorer roll over issue hit the media, my Explorers resale value tanked.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:01 PM
The_Shark

ORIGINAL: GerKonig

not to offend anyone

Yes, indeed, it was forced by our government. Toyota acted way to slowly, and uneccesary daths resulted because of this. They are responsible and will pay the price, a high price. They will make a comeback w/o problem:-)

Gerry
i keep on hearing deaths- i think this is total bs, because early in the recall they said no deaths have been reported- and if these cars have been using the same gear off the batt, wouldn't you hear about it earlier?? something stinks.
if i can blame a recall on a bad gas pedal then pin deaths on that and not the fact of dumb butts/drunks/teens behind the wheel.

redBULL
Old 02-10-2010, 10:20 PM
The Hedgehog

You really think no deaths resulted from the Toyota problems? Read the newspaper. Or watch the new on tv. There have been reported deaths, and I thought everyone knew this.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:40 PM
GerKonig

[quote]ORIGINAL: The_Shark

ORIGINAL: GerKonig

i keep on hearing deaths- i think this is total bs, because early in the recall they said no deaths have been reported- and if these cars have been using the same gear off the batt, wouldn't you hear about it earlier?? something stinks.
if i can blame a recall on a bad gas pedal then pin deaths on that and not the fact of dumb butts/drunks/teens behind the wheel.

redBULL
And you know for a fact the dead people were all dumb butts/drunks/teens, and that all the reports of the survivors of the acceleration are bogus? I do not think so. Let me just say that I like Toyota, I work for them I think it is an excellent company that in many aspects is way ahead of his competitore:-) But fact and fiction are not the same...

Gerry

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.