Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Vintage Craftsman power reel lawn mower

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 09:43 PM
traxxaspede

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vintage Craftsman power reel lawn mower

My dad recently picked up a (free) Craftsman lawnmower with the intention of donating the engine to my schools auto shop. But it started one the FIRST pull. So after draining the fuel, putting in new fuel and adjusting the low end screw slightly, it idles pretty good. I thought I would try to make it into a go-kart. My dad thinks, since it's a reel-type mower, that I could just use a cutting torch to cut off the blades, take off the handle and there's the whole rear end of the go-kart. I thought it would be better to build a frame and bolt the engine in. His way would definitely be easier, but there's a v-belt coming off the engine, then a small chain, then ring and pinion gears in the wheels. Seems like a lot to go wrong. But really, my main questions is, should I make it into a go-kart or do a restoration of the mower? I'll probably just make a go-kart if the mower wouldn't be worth anything. I have some info on the mower, like engine and mower model numbers, engine serial.. I found the blown-up parts view on Sears website, but it doesn't really have any information on it. Here everything that I wrote down from on the mower.

Engine: 3.0 HP with Super Start pull starter, model number is 143-5731052 and the serial is 7151-08273.
Mower: Serial number is 536-8198-7, it's a CRAFTSMAN 18 inch craftsman reel power mower (copy and paste from Sears website). There's a little steel piece by the blade underneath that has the number 25317 (I don't know what that number is for). On the mower plate that has the serial number and model number is says "Sears Roebuck and Co. USA" and below that it says "Simpsons - Sears - Limited - Canada"

That's pretty much all the info I have on it.

[link=http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/getModel!retrieve.pd?modelNumber=53681987&pathTaken=partSearch]Link[/link] to the mower parts and a [link=http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect//partsdirect/getModel!retrieveModelDetails.pd?modelNumber=14357 1052&productCategoryId=1503500&brandId=0247&blt=11]link[/link] to the engine parts.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:59 PM
hands without shadows

Default RE: Vintage Craftsman power reel lawn mower

3.0 hp isnt much for a go-kart. Build a death cart: http://hackaday.com/2010/03/20/tim-t...de/#more-22578

You can get a centrifugal clutch like that at any tractor supply store.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:04 PM
traxxaspede

That looks pretty cool, but...I don't really want to kill myself right now.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:39 AM
tommygun32

Rebuild the mower and in your spare time and weekends, go around the neighborhood asking people if they want their lawn mowed. Build up a steady base of repeat customers. I used to do this with an old fashioned push mower that I towed behind my bike. Take the money you make, save it up and either buy a nice used go-kart or more RC stuff...
Old 03-23-2010, 11:15 AM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: tommygun32

Rebuild the mower and in your spare time and weekends, go around the neighborhood asking people if they want their lawn mowed. Build up a steady base of repeat customers. I used to do this with an old fashioned push mower that I towed behind my bike. Take the money you make, save it up and either buy a nice used go-kart or more RC stuff...
haha! i did that from age 7 to 16, i made some good money, $20 a pop with edging and optional bagging ($5 extra) i made like $400 in a month. i bought my own 7hp craftsman self propelled mower (top of the line at the time) at 12.

i actually saved up $1600 and got my first car with that!