Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Just bought a car!

Old 04-08-2010, 07:34 AM
sunco1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought a car!

2001 vw Jetta. 113k miles. 4 speed auto. Its my first car. Ill get my license in may.

How do you guys feel about the jetta? I want to put a sub in it. Its got the stock monsoon radio system. Anyone know how many watts the stock amp puts out? I dont want a powered sub. But if i have to i will. Is it possible to throw a small sub into the moonsoon system? Or does it require a new amp and wire harness? I think the head unit can stay.

thanks
Old 04-08-2010, 07:56 AM
Eman77

Default RE: Just bought a car!

A 2011 car with 113k miles already? Huh?
Old 04-08-2010, 08:20 AM
sunco1

whoops i fixed it
Old 04-08-2010, 08:28 AM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: sunco1

2001 vw Jetta. 113k miles. 4 speed auto. Its my first car. Ill get my license in may.

How do you guys feel about the jetta? I want to put a sub in it. Its got the stock monsoon radio system. Anyone know how many watts the stock amp puts out? I dont want a powered sub. But if i have to i will. Is it possible to throw a small sub into the moonsoon system? Or does it require a new amp and wire harness? I think the head unit can stay.

thanks
jettas are ok.

they are nice, good handling, safe cars but if they require repair they are expensive.

its a bad idea to put a amp/sub in your first car or any VW for that matter. keep the money for repiar, gas and all that jazz. VW's are not friendly when it comes to raidio systems, if the head is not compatible (many are not) it will shut down the computer system and basically your car will not start- no joke.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:08 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Overall I like Jettas a lot. For their price and type of car they're quite fun to drive. Supposedly the late 90s models had some chronic problems but that's fixed now.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:13 AM
Eman77

I like the performance, looks, and price point of Jettas. But Consumer Reports doesn't exactly give them a ton of love. Better in recent years, but still not a lot of love....

Neither does JD Power, for that matter.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:30 AM
Lunchboxer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats on the new car!!
Old 04-08-2010, 01:56 PM
sunco1

Thanks for the advice. Ill keep it stock then. Save my money
Old 04-08-2010, 02:00 PM
Eman77

Got any pics of it to share? How do you like it so far?
Old 04-08-2010, 04:11 PM
lee172

i think the Jetta is called the Bora over here in the UK.. although they have recently (re-re'd!!) the Jetta, so god knows what thats gonna be! [&:]
Old 04-08-2010, 05:12 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

What engine? 1.8 turbo, 2.0 n/a, VR6?

They're decent cars, but replace your water pump/timing belt if it's the 2.0 or 1.8t if it hasn't been done. On your car it should be done every 60k miles. The water pump is driven by the timing belt, and when the water pump dies, you have to disassemble the t-belt/tensioner/etc to replace the water pump. It's not much extra for the water pump, and the plastic impeller on the OE part has a habit of disintegrating. If you have an overheating condition, that's the problem.

Anyway, the timing belt should be changed every 60,000 miles to prevent the timing belt from breaking. the 2.0 and 1.8t are interference engines, so if the belt breaks, your head will need to be rebuilt too, best case scenario.

They're good solid cars as long as the previous owner has taken care of it, just like any other car.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:49 PM
cmerritt

so my first car was a jetta also. Although mine is a 2002 Jetta GLS TDI (diesel). I replaced the head unit with this pioneer one... http://www.crutchfield.com/S-q58nUW7...H-P6000UB.html and the stereo has MUCH more bass and low end now. The one above is discontinued for a newer model most likely but a comparable one will give you similar results. Overall is sounds WAY better than before. So if you want a better stereo, just get a good headunit. The extra power it puts out will make it sound much better.

The only thing i had to buy besides the head unit was a new harness.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:28 PM
[email protected]

I have a lot of personal issues with the jetta and passat. so to be fair they can be good cars. dont let things go. if the check engine light comes on get it fixed, if its a lot of money to fix you dont have it, dont drive the car to you get it fixed. lower ball joints and brakes in city driving very common. keep up on oil changes the little engine works its butt off and runs strong for what it is. see if you can get a history from the dealer on the car for recalls and worked performed. just nice to have. please stay away from the need to accessorize it only makes more problems. best of luck and be safe. always put on your seat belt. the car cant do its job if you dont were it. I would get a tdi or gti vr6 for driving back and forth to work. they can be a lot of fun.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:41 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: cmerritt

so my first car was a jetta also. Although mine is a 2002 Jetta GLS TDI (diesel). I replaced the head unit with this pioneer one... http://www.crutchfield.com/S-q58nUW7...H-P6000UB.html and the stereo has MUCH more bass and low end now. The one above is discontinued for a newer model most likely but a comparable one will give you similar results. Overall is sounds WAY better than before. So if you want a better stereo, just get a good headunit. The extra power it puts out will make it sound much better.

The only thing i had to buy besides the head unit was a new harness.
He needs to get the maintenance that has no doubt been skipped taken care of before he spends money on stereo equipment.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:55 AM
sunco1

I got it serviced the day after i got it. new timing/serpentine belts, a new water pump, oil change, brake check, tire check, all that good stuff. I just need to get a tranmission check and im good to go.

I just painted the right front fender because it was silver. It looks pretty good for not being done professionally

Ill post some pictures when i get home from school.

I still have my permit.. but i get my provisional license may 6th. So not much longer!
Old 04-12-2010, 11:51 PM
annie_himself

My Jetta is the same year. I have a 15" kicker and a 800w amp. I don't have the stock unit though. Check your timing belt, after 100,000 miles it is required to be changed. 2.0? VR6?
Old 04-13-2010, 06:34 AM
quietnas1

The jetta is a good solid car. I used to have a 2001 Beetle 1.8t. Besides a broken motor mount never had any issues with it and i was pretty modified. An automatic is not worth bumping up the power on but if you want the car to look good I can point you in the right direction as far as wide body kits and rims go. Custom lights etc. Congrats on the new car and make sure to always wear your seat belt and be safe.

I remember my 1st car. 1983 Olds Cutlass 442 with the Hurst Shifter. Man those were the days.