Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Life without electricity...

Old 07-07-2010, 07:48 PM
samguan

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Life without electricity...

I experienced one of the worst night of my life last night when the power went out.

It was about 37C(99F), ridiculously hot and the power went out at 10:30AM. I reported the outage through the automated phone system.

Air Condition shut down...Cell phones out of battery.. no flashlight..started sweating... Couldn't sleep.. I was waving a binder(create air) and trying to sleep at the same time. It was a really long night. Woke up at 5:00AM this morning and just sat there sweating and waiting til 8:00AM and immediately called Toronto Hydro and through the automated message, I heard my street name. So someone must have reported a power outage and I just hang up.

Waited till 10:00AM and the power was still out. Called Hydro again and talked to the agent and finally, a truck was on my way. Then truck came at 12:00PM and I was just sitting by the window sweating and watching them digging the ground. Took them 3 hours to fix the problem.

I should really complain about this? I experienced about twice blackout in Toronto in the past 10 years and both of them lasted like 10 minutes. This one, it was about 17 hours.

I don't understand why these people don't offer after hour service like a 24 hour emergency line.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:57 PM
jd31

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Life without electricity...

i die whenever i go to visit my family in punjab,india where the electricity is out 10-17 hours a day, yet they survive... we westerners have become too accustomed to modern luxuries
Old 07-07-2010, 11:07 PM
[email protected]

yeah how do people do it with out ac? like i was reading about back in the day stuff. baths once a week in summer once a month in winter? hell after a hot day i cant wait to get home to get a shower. food would just lay around with dirt and bugs then they cure it with salt and all. nasty stuff. I love what I have here I'm very lucky to live in the untied states with all that I have. like how do people live with out 24hr stores 7eleven wawa wal-mart cvs.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:38 PM
mechanizeddeath

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got electricity but the past several days have been pretty warm here in Michigan. That means also very humid. I think it peaked at 92 here today but it is so humid I can't handle it.

I live in an older apartment and the air conditioner is a lame window rattler installed in the wall. I've tried running it and it only gets down to the mid 80s and doesn't seem worthwhile to run at that rate. So I just sit here in my boxers with a wet towel around my neck and drink lots of water.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:51 PM
madmax22

mmm these last couple days were key to be out on the boat on the lake, had to jump in every 5 mins but good times sorry to hear you guys cant find a way to cool down!
Old 07-10-2010, 12:19 AM
Ttam Says Blarg

Believe me or not one time about three years ago we had a power outage during a bad ice storm. Then it proceeded to snow 6 feet (in California mind you). We didnt get our power back for 5 days.... It was lame but there was really nothing I could do.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:53 AM
jatoracing33

ORIGINAL: Ttam Says Blarg

Believe me or not one time about three years ago we had a power outage during a bad ice storm. Then it proceeded to snow 6 feet (in California mind you). We didnt get our power back for 5 days.... It was lame but there was really nothing I could do.
Same thing happened to us, minus the 6 feet of snow. Bad ice storm, we lost power for about two days. It was definitely not something I would like to do again
Old 07-10-2010, 04:28 PM
larryf333
My Feedback: (2)

Pansies. LMAO. J/K

I went about 8 years here in Georgia with a car that had no A/C and a truck that had no A/C. It didn't bother me, I just started taking clothes off. I would ride home in shorts and nothing else. The old 2-55 A/C worked quite well most of the time and if it didn't the 2-85 A/C did. 30mph makes a large difference in cooling ability. The best part was, on really, really smoldering hot days, I saved alot of gas. I didn't go anywhere. When the kids came along however, I had to get a car with A/C. I couldn't let them roast in a hot carseat.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:50 PM
HJJFFFAA

This winter my power was out for 10 days. It snowed around 5 days in and the whole time it was never above 25F.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:55 PM
Blkft1

We lost the power for 3 days this past winter in Texas,house [older pier & beam] got down to a balmy 32deg.I spent one night alone in the house with a flashlight,my I Pod [music] and a book and found it rather peaceful,,,well peacefully cold.Compared to other parts of the country this does'nt look too bad but here in this part of Texas it was UGLY.The snow which had already started to melt in the pic's was here for about 4 days,if it lasted a month or more like some of the Northern States we'd been in big trouble.

Summer is here now and temps are near or at the 100's and VERY humid.I've placed two 1 gallon buckets at the AC drain pipes outside the house to collect the water for the bushes and flower beds,been dumping 8+ full gallons a day[X(] for the past 3 weeks!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35592.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	1469923   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pl32603.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	1469924   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nt46205.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	1469925  
Old 07-18-2010, 09:15 PM
jikkuria

A few years ago, our power went out in the mid summer. Late july i believe. Either way, the entire neighborhood was with out power for 2-3 days, depending on where you lived. Well, the same day we got out power back, my neighbor's tree fell into our house, punched a hole in the roof over my room, and took our power. It was another 6 days with out power in the Missouri summer. 95*+, with high humidity? You bet.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:14 AM
The_Shark

lived with no gas for two weeks in the fall. wicked cold showers, cold days and harsh nights (where 35degree nights) sleep with three blankets and a space heater. also, cooked spaghetti on the grill (no joke) not to mention little food, and no cable or net. being broke sucks, but right now, my family is ok, just marital issues with the parents.

going without common luxuries makes you cherish every moment you have it.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:47 AM
larryf333
My Feedback: (2)

Money is almost always the biggest cause of marital problems.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:25 PM
The_Shark

surprisingly my father is making great money now (how long i dont know) he is a salesman, so he can blank a week and make 3k the next, prior to this he has been unemployed for 1.5 years. pops is just a self-centered idiot, my parents are not married by law, its been a life long argument. oh well, such is life.

anyway, i can care less about AC now, since i work in a boiling hot shop all day, but going to a store after being out in the heat makes you feel energized, it makes me want to buy something.... im on to them.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:45 AM
hands without shadows

Next time drive down to the gas station and buy some ice...