Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

My New Shark

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 07:28 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My New Shark

Also, gotta pull the valve cover to check casting #
Old 08-23-2010, 08:28 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

Also, gotta pull the valve cover to check casting #
i will do that tommarro, i have to do the valve cover gaskets anyway.

all i can see from the oil cap fill is a 2, i dont know if you can tell by the shape of the top part of the heads?
Old 08-23-2010, 08:55 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Yeah, but ThunderbirdJunkie isn't really well-versed enough in small block Chebbiez to know by looking.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:04 AM
redfisher1974

The double hump heads have the humps casted on the front of the head like so.
Attached Images  
Old 08-24-2010, 02:07 PM
J.D.T

the block casting numbers are on the top drivers side, there is about a three inch ledge there where the tranny bolts onto the back of the block, you'll see an incline that kinda matches the angle the heads go on at, you may need to scrape a little chevy love (burnt oil LOL) off but the numbers are big enough you can't miss them, this is what I would be looking at to try and determine what is in there as a head change is not as likely as a whole motor change in my experience, chevy 350s ranged from 145-370 hp depending on the one you got, if you know how to tell the difference between a "short" and long water pump this will help also as the shorties are older motors(which you want) but needless to say there is nothing to stop someone from putting the accessories from a long style onto a short style and vice versa. I agree its hard to just eyeball and tell, unless its a 400, they are dead giveaways as they have three freeze plugs per side.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:25 PM
The_Shark

i looked a a chart online, they appear to be 882 heads[&o]
but i will get to the covers soon.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:18 PM
athurart09
Banned

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

After driving around a small zippy miata, i soon realized i wanted another 8cylinder, so i looked for firebirds and camaros and other sports/muscle cars, but i cant get riled up about a common solid axle tank, so i started looking at 928's and i finally came about my new car.

Its a 1978 (25th anv) Corvette. most of the angles look good but the front has a peeling nose, the carpt is falling apart and stinky, but the console, door panels and switches are almost perfect, and the t-tops are cracked. i figure this will be a fun project car especially during the winter at that time im redoing the carpet and having the nose fixed.

this Sunday its getting a water pump, alternator and speedo cable. next week its getting a new exhaust pipe, i fixed the leaky brake hose and inoperative turn signals and adjusted the steering box already. but this far its just a blast to burble around while listening to the 8-track and having my shoes melt from the heat of the engine underfoot.

by no means am i rich, thats why its a project car, im sure someone here has gotten involved in a project like this, if you have lets see it.
Thanks for sharing.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:34 PM
The_Shark

I thought i fixed the water leak the first week i had the car- WRONG! i had to call a day off this week due to illness and the day i didn't drive it poured, well the next morning i had a swimming pool in my car! so went the digging, removed all the screens, carpeting, kick panel, glove box, duct work and started dumping water to find A leak but i ended up finding 5! a tube of rtv, quick steel and spray duct tape (and 4hours) and its water tight.

then was time to inspect and fix the window frame, i was hoping for better, but it couldve been alot worse, 1 layer on both corners where moderately rusted, nothing structural, so i dremelled it, removed the dead "flesh" filled it with quick steel(you can tell i like this stuff) sanded that, then used rust reformer, and then topped with rust resistant paint.

those two took 12hours. can i tell you, vette interior is not a fun thing to deal with!
Old 09-04-2010, 10:36 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

At least you don't have to worry about this
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm34906.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	1495445  
Old 09-05-2010, 04:17 AM
tommygun32

Don't go jinxing him now TBJ..
Old 09-05-2010, 03:53 PM
The_Shark

ORIGINAL: tommygun32

Don't go jinxing him now TBJ..
floor pans are in GREAT shape, no rust. the window frame is a weak spot in corvettes, there is 4 layers in the corners, one was rusty.
trust me, im a rust blood hound, i tap, bump and push everything metal on a car before i buy it, specially floor pans[:'(] sharp and loud drive it proud, dull and deep and you got a heap not saying rusted cars are bad, but thats a line of work i dont do. the sound of potato chips when you push on rust makes me want to hurl[:'(]

today i got the floor back together, adjusted the hood, and fixed the battery hold down (behind driver seat in compartment) i was wondering what that #thud....thud# was when going around corners, i thought it was diff problems (harsh unlocking diff) im not too happy that it doesnt have a vent hose or any revision on this batt, so if it gasses bad and sparks, it goes boom right behind my seat.

poor thing is still bleeding, cant wait untill that radiator comes so i can bring it on longer trips.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:01 PM
The_Shark

RADIATOR IS IN! it was not a fun task, issues with slightly larger dimensions and had to snip the trans lines.

drained the coolant, removed both hose clamps, removed snorkel, removed fan, removed shroud, removed upper hold downs, cut trans lines, removed old radiator. my what a easy job i thought then- remove and trim foam multiple times, shift the heavy radiator just so to get it to line up, bore out holes on shroud, then again play with radiator to wedge shroud, put on fan/ hoses/ snorkel. still not bad, 1.5 hours in.

now for the new trans cooler[:@]. spotted location lower on condencer, zipped it in, removed rubber hose going to trans NOT FUN! hoses where like plastic of steel and where still on firm after cutting IN HALF! finally i "slip" on hoses, more like me putting on size 10 shoes, plumed it up front, and then tried and tried and tried to put the hose on the cooler, even after dipping the hoses in trans fluid and bearing grease they wouldn't go on, so after 2hours of trying to "slip" the hoses on (more like trying to put a bowling ball down a pocket of a pool table) i removed the cooler and inlet lines and hulked it on (15 minuet struggle) then zipped it back in and threw on the clamps (as if necessary, thems never coming off) that was the hardest simple job ever, that wouldve been done in 20minuets if they just slipped on..

what a world of difference! it stays at 170F-180F before at 200F-220F and the trans is happy now, shifting strong and biting hard, first few miles i drove it, i kept spinning the tires, it takes nothing to spin those tires now.

pics coming soon.
heck, now all i have to do is the heads, carpet and paint! things are going together faster than i expected(knock on wood)
Old 09-09-2010, 07:14 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Now it just needs some 26s
Old 09-10-2010, 09:21 AM
The_Shark

Now it just needs some 26s
[sm=confused.gif]rims???
Old 09-10-2010, 01:08 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Yeah dawg
some 26s an' get that sucka sittin' HIIIIIIGH
Old 09-10-2010, 08:20 PM
The_Shark

Yeah dawg
some 26s an' get that sucka sittin' HIIIIIIGH
someone would have to be hiiiigh to put rims like that in thier car[sm=bananahead.gif]

i got the rims to polish up a bit, especaially the center caps, lots of work, but they are coming along.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:55 PM
ElectricGuy007

At least you don't have to worry about this
Ouchies! That would be expensive to replace.[&o]
Old 09-10-2010, 09:06 PM
suburban_hooligan

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

26's... pfffffft. 66x43x23 nukka. could crush cars on 26's all day long

Name:	Ge95457.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	339.4 KB
ID:	1498604  
Old 09-12-2010, 03:06 PM
The_Shark

^ lame

ok here are a few pics of the new radiator and trans cooler (cooler got a little bruised, going to fix that soon) pic was before it got a bath.

today i washed the car and since i have fee time, i removed the rockers, sanded off all rust and paint, and sprayed it flat black rust resistant paint. before and after.
mooovin along.

PS, just noticed i got the left and right rockers messed up, either way it was the same on each.

Name:	Qn38180.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	1499320   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43124.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	1499321   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr41068.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	1499322   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pi17389.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	1499323  
Old 09-26-2010, 06:48 PM
The_Shark

i sold my miata (after throwing in a $120 battery) so now i can start ordering parts... also at the same time i got my winter ride- a 1994 Cadillac deville with the 4.9L, its in decent shape and will be great for the winter, all it needs is a water pump, sway bar links and rear shocks. got it for $1300 i sooooo dont want to do that freakish pump.

earlier i replaced the upper hose, thermostat and sand blasted then painted the air cleaner (3 coats black, 3 coats clear) and fixed the last leak with some duct putty.

next week is exhaust now that i got a backup car and then replace that dreaded pump on the backup[:@]
Old 10-15-2010, 09:37 AM
The_Shark

ok i hit the throttle a little coming home just a few minutes ago, i rarely get on the gas and am usually under 2,300rpm, anyway i give it half throttle and out the back gushes a cloud of white-blue smoke, and i thought " OH MY GOD! I JUST BLEW A GASKET" so i get it home to realize the small power steering leak is now a steady drip and sprays when throttle is applied, what a relief... i thinks ias goin' to remove dat belt untill ias get a replacement hose.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:46 PM
FahrtAutoRC

I miss my Mustang 1992 GT, black ext., red inerior, 493Whp, dual Flowmasters off of H-pipe, totaled with a twin-screw centrifigal waiting in the back seat for instal the next day....
Old 10-16-2010, 02:58 PM
The_Shark

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

ok i hit the throttle a little coming home just a few minutes ago, i rarely get on the gas and am usually under 2,300rpm, anyway i give it half throttle and out the back gushes a cloud of white-blue smoke, and i thought '' OH MY GOD! I JUST BLEW A GASKET'' so i get it home to realize the small power steering leak is now a steady drip and sprays when throttle is applied, what a relief... i thinks ias goin' to remove dat belt untill ias get a replacement hose.
drove the backup cadillac today to work and all of the sudden it smoked out the street with white smoke!!! so i get to work open the hood and find that the heater T conntector broke, so a few bucks and its good to go.

sorry to hear about your mustang, that is one thing i fear the most with the corvette, get it nice and it gets smacked, even if i got a 10K coverage it is VERY easy to total it out.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:59 PM
IFR Pilot

ORIGINAL: Ttam Says Blarg

Nice!! I was expecting to see a shark tho..
Me to, now I'm all bummed out and I hate American junk.

Old 10-16-2010, 08:37 PM
The_Shark

ORIGINAL: Moms Mistake

ORIGINAL: Ttam Says Blarg

Nice!! I was expecting to see a shark tho..
Me to, now I'm all bummed out and I hate American junk.

i'll feel sorry for you when your import breaks down, you cant find parts, no one will work on it and it will cost you a arm and a leg to fix

i dont care who makes what, if i like it i like it, but dont bash what someone else likes without reason.

its kinda backwards to buy and support nations we fought in war!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.