RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/off-topic-forum-cars-trucks-buggies-more-392/)
-   -   shootin talk (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/off-topic-forum-cars-trucks-buggies-more-392/10115358-shootin-talk.html)

cumquat 11-04-2010 02:57 PM

shootin talk

just a place for us to talk guns, bows and anything else that launches projectiles (lethal or otherwise).

oh, and of course the projectiles themselves.

cumquat 11-04-2010 03:11 PM

RE: shootin talk

i recently acquired an old savage arms 24 series p (read: i found my great grandpa's old gun while cleaning my sister's room (it was his room before he died)). i had trouble figuring out how to load it but after an agitating hour i decided to check youtube and sure enough, the third or fourth video i watched was a kid at a range with his dad and his dad told him how to open it on the video.

after a while i whent out back and tested it with the bullets that have been the linen closet for as long as i remember ( i dont think the rifle had been shot in over 20 years, im 17). i did the test and about 20 minutes later (about 40 minutes ago now) i went out and shot 13 more rounds. i plan to get some bullets next time i go to the gun shop (hopefully tomorrow) and get some jacketed rounds because these cci blazers are D-I-R-T-Y. anyone have a recommendation for a bullet to try? its a .22lr/20GA over-under. also would you advise me to avoid the shotgun barrel until i am better acquainted with the rifle barrel or should i pick up a 5-shell box while im there? if so, what should i get? its a smooth bore.

redfisher1974 11-04-2010 03:33 PM

I sold most of my stuff, I still have a Excalibur Exomag crossbow (most powerful crossbow in the day) and I have a old .22 rim fire I would love to restore.

Lightfoot 11-04-2010 03:57 PM

If you are just plinking with the .22, just get the cheapest cartridges you can find. If you are going to do some hunting, get CCI Mini-Mag High Velocity Ammunition 22 LR. Those are the most powerful and reliable that I have used. I see no reason to avoid the shotgun until you are accustomed to the rifle. They are two totally different weapons built on the same frame.

redfisher1974 11-04-2010 04:08 PM

I remember when I went from the CB's to the CCI Mini-Mag High Velocity's. I was shocked at the sound diffrence[X(]

cumquat 11-04-2010 04:13 PM

the only reason i was wondering about the shotgun is because i have experence with rifles (as well as revolvers and semi auto pistols) from shooting with my uncle but i have never shot a shotgun before and the videos on youtube for first timers range from little recoil to nearly falling over.

i am only plinking so i guess i will get the cheapest jacketed they have (i dont mind cleaning the barrel after shooting but the mess of unjacketed is just ridiculous). as for the shotgun, what shot has the least recoil? it is intended for a 3" shell.

FahrtAutoRC 11-04-2010 06:09 PM

I LOVE my Bear Kodiak recurve from 1970. 60", 45# draw (enough to hunt but light enough I can hold it drawn for around two minutes without shaking). Its very claen, as I restored it myself and babied it to death with boiled Linseed oil. I own a few guns but to me there is nothing so elegant as a bow and nothing else will put you as much "at one" with your equipment.

I also own a Kimber 1911 Tactical
Harrington Richardson Topper Model 58 (old 12 Gauge break barrel)
M1 Garand
Taurus .38 Spc

FahrtAutoRC 11-04-2010 06:12 PM

ORIGINAL: cumquat

the only reason i was wondering about the shotgun is because i have experence with rifles (as well as revolvers and semi auto pistols) from shooting with my uncle but i have never shot a shotgun before and the videos on youtube for first timers range from little recoil to nearly falling over.

i am only plinking so i guess i will get the cheapest jacketed they have (i dont mind cleaning the barrel after shooting but the mess of unjacketed is just ridiculous). as for the shotgun, what shot has the least recoil? it is intended for a 3" shell.

It depends on the weight of the gun, barrel, build of the shooter and how you handle recoil, and gauge too. My H&R Model 58 is....er.... kinda short and it really doest weigh much, I use it for a brush gun for Slug-huntin deer and while it DOES kick like a horse the recoil is pretty manageable for me, but of course Im 6'3" and 210 solid

redfisher1974 11-04-2010 06:24 PM

Pretty slim for 6'3" :D Im 6' 220 solid, My training partner is 6'3" 290 and scares the hell out of me...[&:]

redfisher1974 11-04-2010 06:42 PM

Anywho I just took a look at the old .22 I have and want to restore, its a Mossberg 320B lr,l,s single shot bolt action rifle. Its not in bad shape but would look nice all blued and the stock sanded and re-stained.

cumquat 11-04-2010 07:15 PM

ORIGINAL: cerealkilla024

It depends on the weight of the gun, barrel, build of the shooter and how you handle recoil, and gauge too. My H&R Model 58 is....er.... kinda short and it really doest weigh much, I use it for a brush gun for Slug-huntin deer and while it DOES kick like a horse the recoil is pretty manageable for me, but of course Im 6'3'' and 210 solid
im not what you would call "small", im about 5' 10" and right around 235 - 240. the gun is probably 7 or 8 pounds (feels like it anyways, its no less than 6 pounds) and the barrel is maybe 20" give or take.

redfisher1974 11-04-2010 07:34 PM

You will be fine, Now when I bought my first 12Ga super mag shotgun I let my 135 pound room mate shoot it with a magnum slug and it made him take three steps back when he shot[&:]

Ttam Says Blarg 11-04-2010 08:03 PM

I was shooting buffalo hunting rifles when I was 13. My brother was always taking me to the range. I actually love my local range. When I lived on Gem Ranch we actually had a private range. There was no shortage of guns. I would really love to own a gun but I dont have the time or money. My bro has two 22 lr that I have permission to use freely :D

buggyboy2010 11-04-2010 08:03 PM

LOL!, That .22 have the old slide under the barrel that holds like 14 rounds?

I remember when I got to shoot my first high-powered rifle, My Uncle and I were exterminating ground hogs in a farmers field, I can still feel the kick of that 30-06, And that was 16years ago! lol

ORIGINAL: redfisher1974

You will be fine, Now when I bought my first 12Ga super mag shotgun I let my 135 pound room mate shoot it with a magnum slug and it made him take three steps back when he shot[&:]

redfisher1974 11-04-2010 08:24 PM

ORIGINAL: buggyboy2010

LOL!, That .22 have the old slide under the barrel that holds like 14 rounds?

I remember when I got to shoot my first high-powered rifle, My Uncle and I were exterminating ground hogs in a farmers field, I can still feel the kick of that 30-06, And that was 16years ago! lol

ORIGINAL: redfisher1974

That would be cool but sadly no, my dad bought it from camp borden in the 60's as it was a training gun.

rcslsafut 11-04-2010 08:40 PM

i had a h&r break action ,single shot ,3" capible, 12 gauge . got rid of the damn thing , kicks like a mule !!!!!!!!!
went to a remington 870 express magnum (just like the rest of almost EVERYONE i know) i love the gun!!!!
cumquat;
as far as a low power load . you want what they call low brass , or target, or varmin loads . 2-3/4 " prob #6 or #7 shot (target shooting ,small game , rabbits ,doves.....etc)
if you go with 3" loads, they cost more ,they kick more , they are known as high brass , (more for pheasants ,ducks , chuckars, grouse )
they make 3-1/2" loads as well , SOME guns accept , but most the ones i know of dont !
they are pretty much for hunting geese, turkeys ,and larger game
and anything considered as magnum loads are going to be hot as well !

redfisher1974 11-04-2010 08:43 PM

remington 870 express magnum

I had that gun in the left handed model, bought it new and sold it for the same money 10 years later.

rcslsafut 11-04-2010 08:48 PM

thats one thing about most guns , they hold thier value or increase:)

cumquat 11-04-2010 09:07 PM

im probably going to hold of on using it as a shotgun simply because i dont want to pay a buck per shot but that doesnt mean i wont test it[>:]. thanks every body for the help. so what i should look for is the 2-3/4", gotcha;).

rcslsafut 11-04-2010 09:23 PM

low brass is only about five or six bucks a box (25 )
it's when you start buying high brass , waterfowl, and higher loads that it starts to cost a small fortune to shoot it !
wally world(walmart) usually has a sale ,of four boxs together ,for a little over twenty bucks (target loads)

SLAYERDUDE 11-04-2010 09:38 PM

I'm not a gun guy, but I've shot some stuff.
Only one I own is an air pistol lol, Crossman 1008 Repeatair revolver style pelletgun.

But I have busted a cap in a few other things with some real firepower like an AK and M4, .45 ACP.

Here's a couple vids of that.

I know gun safety, don't ever aim at anything you don't intend to shoot, every gun is loaded etc..;)
This was the second time he fired that weapon, I'm just lucky to be the one at the helm.
Put a few more battle scars in my Savage XL body, you can barely tell now lol.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiHu3y4dCP4[/youtube]

Then there's his M4, with some crazy holographic sight.
Along with me almost removing the top of my hand with the .45 lol.

That Lexmark printer didn't stand a chance.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCc6hFVYvzk[/youtube]

aronph 11-04-2010 10:27 PM

CCI Stingers are the best 22 ammo ive shot-at the walmarts in central ohio they are like 6 bucks for 50-which is really expensive compared to cheap 22's-but they are so much better-ive had bad ammo experiences and wont shoot junk anymore-have you been to snipershide.com?-good stuff,good people,kinda like rcu,but ALL guns-mainly long range and competition but its a good place to learn also........Savage 12 BVSS in .308......Remington 700 BDL in .243.....357 Mag lever action.......GLOCK

buggyboy2010 11-04-2010 11:24 PM

Slayer, The M4 Bushmaster has to be My ALL TIME favorite rifle!!! And AK is right behind it, But fat chance for Me ever getting to fire either of them in Canada, Unless I join the military! lol

aronph 11-04-2010 11:41 PM

slayer....sweet....pantera for ME!

SLAYERDUDE 11-04-2010 11:52 PM

I am honored to have the opportunity to fire those weapons.
Might have the chance again soon.:D
Captain Hammer has an ASSLOAD of ammo!

Thanks guys, it was a "blast" lol.

Here's the close cam of the Lexmark.:D

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ4u0iBuXZw[/youtube]