RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/off-topic-forum-cars-trucks-buggies-more-392/)
-   -   my poor dog :( (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/off-topic-forum-cars-trucks-buggies-more-392/10636878-my-poor-dog.html)

electricrc68 07-24-2011 03:33 PM

my poor dog :(

1 Attachment(s)
one of his hind legs have cracked paw pads which started to bleed....we put a cone on his head and cleaned up the wound and put a sock on it. i feel very, very bad for him. he also is limping because of the pain. :( I hope he will get well soon.http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...msn/crying.gif

DarkFire989 07-24-2011 03:39 PM

RE: my poor dog :(

Yeah cracked pads are never good. If they do a lot of running / starting in stopping on rough surfaces it will tear up their pads.

redfisher1974 07-24-2011 03:43 PM

Those cones are funny....:D

electricrc68 07-24-2011 03:46 PM

ORIGINAL: DarkFire989

Yeah cracked pads are never good. If they do a lot of running / starting in stopping on rough surfaces it will tear up their pads.
yeah thats what he does. especially since it was so hot on the previous days, it probably dried them up.
<br type="_moz" />

electricrc68 07-24-2011 03:48 PM

ORIGINAL: redfisher1974

Those cones are funny....:D
lol. i don't really find them funny. but its what you gotta do :(<br type="_moz" />

redfisher1974 07-24-2011 03:49 PM

He does not look happy thats for sure.

electricrc68 07-24-2011 03:50 PM

yep. his tail has been tucked in for quite some time. and he has a worried look on his face.

redfisher1974 07-24-2011 04:01 PM

Probably thinks the end is near...

electricrc68 07-24-2011 04:17 PM

yeah. that would be very sad.....:(

Eman77 07-25-2011 05:14 AM

The Cone of Shame sucks, but is valuable in keeping the dog from doing unintentional damage - he'll heal up faster this way, just keep taking care of him.

Foxy 07-25-2011 05:24 AM

He looks healthy, he'll get over it. Hope he gets well soon :)

electricrc68 07-25-2011 05:58 AM

thanks guys. its looking a little better today.<div>eman- yeah thats the main reason we bought it. he would keep licking and biting it causing it to get worse. so we keep it clean and watch him to make sure he doesn't try to take that cone off his head.</div>

Bruno Stachel 07-25-2011 07:11 AM

Poor fella. I had to put one of those collars on a black Lab I had. (I think they're called Elizabethan collars.) Until he got used to it, he kept runnng into things. And when he wanted to snifff something on the ground outside, he looked like an ostsrich with his head buried!

electricrc68 07-25-2011 07:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
yeah i always feel bad when i see a dog with one of these collars on. he loves to sit under the bed, but with this collar on i thought he couldn't fit. well, i heard a lot of banging and i went down stairs and when i saw him he somehow amazingly managed to get under!

lee172 07-25-2011 09:37 AM

Have you tried Vaseline? works pretty good on our pup.

osxpro 07-25-2011 10:05 AM

Your dog looks like a Philippino Ice Cream Cone!
THey just love dogs over there.... the taste that is.... YUCK!

electricrc68 07-25-2011 10:17 AM

ORIGINAL: lee172

no we haven't we are just cleaning it with hydrogen peroxide.
<br type="_moz" />

Bruno Stachel 07-25-2011 10:22 AM

ORIGINAL: lee172

I meant to mention that too. I used to rub Vaseline on my Lab's paws when they looked dry. It was also good to use in winter. Helped keep the little snow balls from collecting around the pads.

electricrc68 07-25-2011 10:33 AM

okay thanks. his pad is torn more than cracked.

raptureboy 07-25-2011 10:47 AM

Use an over the counter antibiotic ointment, it will heal faster. Have you seen that VW commercial where the guys dog has a cone on hanging his head out the window? The guy takes the cone and turns it around to make the dog more aerodynamic. LOL It sucks when are buddies are hurtin though.

electricrc68 07-25-2011 10:55 AM

thanks for the tip. if it doesn't get any better in a couple of days we are going to take him to the vet. i saw that commercial before lol....and yeah it does suck when they are in pain :(

Paul_BB 07-25-2011 11:25 AM

My dog had a similar cone last year because of a wound he kept licking and biting (I am a dog lover but boy how they can be stupid sometimes, neurotic all the time).He wore his cone three monthes non stop, and he got so much used to it that he felt naked when we took it off and asked us to put it back. :)

electricrc68 07-25-2011 12:41 PM

haha he got used to it? wow! why did he need it for three months and what wound was it?

pmerritt 07-25-2011 01:42 PM

I think one of the guys at our field flies with one of those devices on!

SyCo_VeNoM 07-25-2011 02:23 PM

I dread if my one dogs paws crack open like that it will be a nightmare (she has 3 legs only) [:@]

Had a dog many years ago that cut their pad open on a piece of glass (some ass wipe shattered a bottle near out back gate and the dog stepped on it)
we put anti bacterial cream on it, put gause, and a bandage. Then we put a child's sock over that, taped the top to stay up, and ended up spraying it very lightly with bitter apple so they wouldn't lick/bite it. From what I remembered it worked quite well

electricrc68 07-25-2011 03:11 PM

you have a dog with three legs? :( thats sad i hope she is okay. thats good that what you did worked and angers me that someone would crack glass on someone else's lawn.

rc awesome 07-25-2011 03:20 PM

My dog had to get his eye taken out because it had cancer in it several months ago. Its all healed up now, but right after it was taken out he had to wear one of those cones. Because he couldn't see out of one side he would ram into all sort of stuff with his cone on. It was kind of funny, but he (and I) couldn't wait for the thing to come off.

SyCo_VeNoM 07-25-2011 03:25 PM

ORIGINAL: electricrc68

you have a dog with three legs? :( thats sad i hope she is okay. thats good that what you did worked and angers me that someone would crack glass on someone else's lawn.
yea found out she had cancer in december, taken off in january. Only other options were let her die a painful death, or euthanasia... So we went with loss of leg.
Hasn't really slowed her down much in all honesty. Hell the specialty center said she was running around less than 3 hours after surgery(they were kinda shocked actually)

As for the bottle they cracked it in the alley and it went under the gate (problem with living in a poor part of a big city, broken bottles around here is not uncommon in the slightest). They were probably drunk, and high when they did it(seen it too often)

electricrc68 07-25-2011 03:43 PM

rc awesome- man that sucks! i wish your dog well. we have my dogs cone off right now, but we are keeping a close eye on him.<div>
</div><div>syco venom- of course...cancer always takes something :( i would have chosen the loss of the leg also. you should try and relocate as soon as you can so you can get out of that part of the city.</div>

Desertlakesflying 07-25-2011 04:14 PM

oh my God you posted this on an RC forum.........oh wait that is what everyone is saying about he Amy Dumba** post in the same category

cfircav8r 07-25-2011 04:15 PM

electricrc68, don't use peroxide it will just dry it out more and make it worse. It also inhibits healing. Wash it with mild soap (hand soap works great) rinse it and use an antibiotic ointment (not cream) like Neosporin. After it is mostly healed get some Bag Balm and apply it a couple times a day until it is fully healed.

electricrc68 07-25-2011 04:20 PM

okay thanks. but i heard of people using peroxide and saying it worked fine. but if it doesn't work out, then we are going to be getting some of the ointment that the veterinarian sells. i will think about what you said though.

electricrc68 07-25-2011 04:24 PM

well im not sure this is true, but i heard hydrogen peroxide can also kill the flesh? is this true? because if it is, im going to need to tell my dad and get him to call the vet and ask them.....

Bruno Stachel 07-25-2011 04:28 PM

Peroxide is only good for cleaning and disinfecting a wound. The Neosporin ointment will stay around, kill bacteria, and promote healing. After the paw heals, Vaseline will help prevent future cracking.

electricrc68 07-25-2011 04:30 PM

really? okay thanks. i will look into the neosporin idea. how would i apply it? with a piece of cotton? thats how i apply the peroxide.

telejojo 07-25-2011 05:42 PM

Looks like he partied too hard last night and wound up with a lamp shade on his head

electricrc68 07-25-2011 05:53 PM

i guess so. LOL :D

Bruno Stachel 07-25-2011 06:01 PM

Electricrc68, cotton or Qtips would probably work. Neosporin ointment is similar to Vaseline in consistency.

To be honest, I'd consider taking him to the vet, especially if he's having pain. Not trying to scare you, but I'm a bit of worrywart.

electricrc68 07-25-2011 06:04 PM

okay thanks. i really want to take him to the vet but my dad thinks he "knows what he is doing" :eek:

flyntruk 07-25-2011 06:51 PM

OK dog lovers ... Put some neosporin anti bacterial ontiment on it .. Wrap litghtly with gauze , put sock over that .  When  it's healed , keep all the pads in good shape with a product called Corn Huskers Lotion .  I hunt pheasants a lot with my dog and running through some of the brush really tears them up .  When the pads get dried up they split .  The lotion allows them to remain flexible .