RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/off-topic-forum-cars-trucks-buggies-more-392/)
-   -   Anyone into HO TRAINS besides the RC HOBBY (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/off-topic-forum-cars-trucks-buggies-more-392/5756137-anyone-into-ho-trains-besides-rc-hobby.html)

BIGMIG 04-23-2007 01:57 AM

Anyone into HO TRAINS besides the RC HOBBY

Ihave all the bases covered,RC Planes,RC boats,RC Helicopter,And now 2 RC Tanks.But I have also been playing around building an HO train layout for the last couple of years.I have a 6X8 foot,4 level layout with over 300 feet of track.You can go from the bottom level all the way to the top level.Have a switch yard,bridges(all built from scratch),buildings and water tan and fuel tanks (all scratch built)you can run trains on all four levels at the same time,with the old tecnolegy type systems with isolation switches for each leval.I can't go any higher now or I can't get it out of my house.At present state it can be lifed by two guys and tiped on its side so I can still get it out of the house.Wish I had a garage where I could have built it.But been thinking about selling it and buying more RC toys.But I have had a lot of fun building it and put many,many hours in on it.But only have about $1100.00 dollars in the whole system---------BIGMIG

SFC K 04-23-2007 02:16 AM

RE: Anyone into HO TRAINS besides the RC HOBBY

Do you have any pictures of your layout? I'm interested in how you were able to get four levels on a 4X8 layout.

Kevinator9 04-23-2007 02:30 AM

My dad loves trains, we went to a guy's house and he had a really cool setup in his basement, we got to control the trains and they are so cool, but they are very expensive:(

BIGMIG 04-23-2007 03:02 AM

IT is a 6x8 layout,not a 4x8.I have pictures on my computer of the layout but I'm not a computer guy and not sure how to post them.It is a neat looking layout.If I get some info on how to post the pictures,I would be glad to show them.

SFC K 04-23-2007 03:24 AM

Sorry about that. 6X8. Yeah I would be interested in seeing what it looks like. To upload pictures click reply to post and at the bottom you will see "Click here to upload images and files" and select your file to upload. It's pretty easy....

CadillacDTS2001 04-23-2007 07:10 AM

if you guys want so unique stuff look here. Mostly Canadian mind you but still very cool
http://www.osbornmodelkits.com/railroad.htm

pythonfan 04-23-2007 11:42 AM

Wow, fellow modelers!

I have a pretty cool layout, its 12'Lx6W'x5H' I paid a guy 600, he had about 2500 into it but he had to get rid of it fast so i was lucky:D

I will get pics later!

Hacker Da-Cracker 04-23-2007 11:50 AM

i have an Nscale lay out. 8ftX8ft. and i also tape real trains. check out the videos on my you tube. http://www.youtube.com/CSXjoe

BIGMIG 04-23-2007 01:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well I'm going to try and put a couple of pictures on here of the train layout.These are not the latest pictures but you will get the idea how it was laid out.It is setting on top of my pool table,so I haven't been able to shoot pool on my table for close to three years now.BUMMER!! All the track is laid on cork roadbed material.Hope you like it,I think its neat. BIGMIG

CadillacDTS2001 04-23-2007 02:31 PM

thats very interesting.
no scenery ?

BIGMIG 04-23-2007 03:14 PM

NOPE,not into the scale thing.Just wanted a lot of track and to keep it simple.Like to watch the trains go round & round.I can have four trains running at the same time,one on each level.And this is the older type setup where you can only run one at a time per level.The most expensive engine I have on there is $42.00 dollars and some of the little fun switch engines you can buy for $20.00 and they work great.I was a real railroad engineer for 20 years and worked a lot of switch engines,and also the big road engines on the main lines.The biggest train I ever pulled was 155 cars allmost 2 miles long,and over 10 thousand tons.I don't think many engineers have ever had the opertunity to do that.?And that did not include the weight of the 7 engines I was pulling it with.If I remember correctly (I'm retired now and its been a while )some of the bigger road units weighed in at around 389,000 pounds each.If I remember right,3600 HP and they had 20 cylinder engines.Carried 5,000 gallons of fuel,and the crankcase holds about 350 gallons of crankcase oil. Just a little added info for those who might be interested ----------BIGMIG

Just wanted to add--I know these are RC Forums--but this is off topic----I do have and use RC planes,boats,a helicopter and now two tanks.I like all my toys.Have fun as much as you can,I do.

Hacker Da-Cracker 04-23-2007 11:54 PM

very cool. when i get older thats what i wanna do is be a train engineer. i love trains. i go up to the RR tracks every day and tape trains. me and my friend are train nuts.

SFC K 04-24-2007 01:34 AM

Nice layout BIGMIG. I see now how you were able to get so many feet of track on 6x 8 layout, very impressive.

02f350psd 04-24-2007 07:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
i have a 12'x14' L-shape that is 4' deep. about $3000 +/- into it. lots of scenery. Actually looking to sell it.

Here are a few pics...

Hacker Da-Cracker 04-24-2007 07:48 PM

what scale is it?

Wisconsin Nitro 04-25-2007 06:09 PM

oh i was for allitle bit but then it got boaring so we ripped all the track out of the table and now its the work bench for my rc trucks:D:D

ironic no?

lgbfan 04-26-2007 02:57 PM

I have quite a bit of train stuff. HO scale, N scale, and G scale(really expensive).

Hacker Da-Cracker 04-26-2007 03:09 PM

I have a couple G scale LOCOS. $800 a peacie.

lgbfan 04-26-2007 03:20 PM

Hacker Da-Cracker where is your post?[&:]

Kemo 04-26-2007 05:08 PM

i'm into trains, but not the tiny HO scale.

G scale is the biggest right? I've been trying to get my hands on a good set for a wihle.

lgbfan 04-26-2007 06:53 PM

Yes it is.

02f350psd 04-26-2007 09:00 PM

there are bigger than G scale. This is 1 (i think its called) gauge. slightly larger than g.

Hacker Da-Cracker 04-26-2007 09:16 PM

its O gauge.

lgbfan 04-29-2007 03:59 PM

No O gauge is smaller than G because HO is half of O (HO). Lionel trains are O gauge.

Tigger N. Bennie 05-03-2007 12:51 AM

While at RCX 2007, I also checked out the large "G" gauge permanent Garden Train Layout (100x300 feet). Here is one of the quick photos I took.

http://image.rcuniverse.com/forum/up...16/Gl21279.jpg

And here's a link for more information: http://www.fgrr.org