RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/off-topic-forum-cars-trucks-buggies-more-392/)
-   -   Is the GM 6.5 a converted gasser? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/off-topic-forum-cars-trucks-buggies-more-392/6269219-gm-6-5-converted-gasser.html)

R/Cpullerdude 08-21-2007 06:50 PM

Is the GM 6.5 a converted gasser?

I've seen this question come up quite often. I know the real answer, but want to see what you all think. Are the GM 6.2, 6.5 and 6.5 turbo diesel engines converted gassers?

R/Cpullerdude 08-21-2007 06:51 PM

RE: Is the GM 6.5 a converted gasser?

Also, please do not post anything that'll disclose the answer or give any clues, right or wrong.

So Cal 08-21-2007 07:34 PM

I dont know anything about the GM diesels accept the new ones are made in japan and i wouldnt buy one. But i dont think that the diesel is a converted gasser.

R/Cpullerdude 08-21-2007 08:03 PM

Actually, the new ones are not made in Japan. They're made in Michigan, IIRC. As far as the Duramax goes though, I'd take a Cummins first, but the engine is not Japanese. The only foreign influence is from Isuzu, who has helped GM tremendosly with the Duramax, and they have partnered up with many vehicles.

R/Cpullerdude 08-21-2007 08:07 PM

Moraine, Ohio. That's where the new Duramax diesels are built.

So Cal 08-21-2007 09:17 PM

ORIGINAL: R/Cpullerdude

Moraine, Ohio. That's where the new Duramax diesels are built.
Oh thats cool i like the duramaxes better now :) Dont they also have the allison trans also? Dou you know the hp on the new d-max?

R/Cpullerdude 08-21-2007 09:24 PM

Yes, they have the Allison 1000. The new LMM (07.5+) is 365hp at 3300rpm and 660 ft-lbs of of torque at 1600rpm.

So Cal 08-21-2007 09:27 PM

Sounds like a good truck to me! An engine made in the USA an Allison trans. And its a CHEVY!!!!!!!!! I found my dream truck!

R/Cpullerdude 08-21-2007 09:35 PM

I, personally, would take a Dodge with a Cummins before a Duramax. Worst part, I'm a GM fan! My dream truck is a Dodge Ram 2500 MegaCab with a Cummins and either the new Aisian (sp?) 6 speed auto, or a manny tranny.

So Cal 08-21-2007 09:40 PM

I want a 2007 gmc searra 2500 ext cab long bed diesel with a manual trans

R/Cpullerdude 08-21-2007 09:55 PM

I don't think you'll ever find that. Last I checked, the LMM's are only available with Allison 1000's.

losixxx-nt 08-21-2007 10:14 PM

ORIGINAL: So Cal Nitro Basher

u can get the push button shifter but not a manual

R/Cpullerdude 08-21-2007 10:47 PM

ORIGINAL: losixxx-nt

ORIGINAL: So Cal Nitro Basher

u can get the push button shifter but not a manual

But that's still the Alli.

losixxx-nt 08-21-2007 11:29 PM

yea thats the closest ur gonna get lol

So Cal 08-22-2007 06:14 PM

That sux. I love manual transmissons. They are way fun to drive.

R/Cpullerdude 08-25-2007 12:42 AM

This poll ends tomorrow. Results so far are interesting to me. Very interesting.

So Cal 09-09-2007 10:37 PM

well is it a converted gasser??? i want to know!?!?!?!?

R/Cpullerdude 09-10-2007 03:45 PM

No. None of the GM diesels are.

khodges 09-10-2007 04:51 PM

heck, no, the 6.5 is not a "converted" gas engine. It was conceived from the start as a diesel in 1982 and built by Detroit Diesel Division of GM. GM no longer builds it, but AM General does, and they have vastly improved it. General Engine Products, the AM General subsidiary who actually builds the engine, has the horsepower (stock) up to 250, from the original 195 for the turbo'd version. They call it the "Optimizer 6500" and it is available from AM General and from Kennedy Diesel, as a direct replacement for the 6.5 in your Chevy or GMC truck

Since the military HumVee still uses the engine, it will be available for some time to come; AM Gen. had to come up with more power, since the latest HumVees coming off the lines weigh a couple of thousand pounds more than they used to, with all the additional armor they now carry.

I have a '99 GMC dually with the 6.5 TD, and love it. It ain't no D-Max, Powerstroke, or Cummins, but it's a good reliable engine. 126K miles and I've only replaced the alternator and the water pump. When it bites the dust, I'll probably stick a crate version of the Optimizer in it.

jatoracing33 09-10-2007 05:11 PM

I, personally, would take a Dodge with a Cummins before a Duramax. Worst part, I'm a GM fan! My dream truck is a Dodge Ram 2500 MegaCab with a Cummins and either the new Aisian (sp?) 6 speed auto, or a manny tranny.

same here...im an all out GM fan, but if its still American i will buy it. if i wer given a japanese car, i would either a) sell it b) smash it with a hammer c)blow it up d) run it into the ocean or e) most of the above

R/Cpullerdude 09-10-2007 05:19 PM

ORIGINAL: khodges

heck, no, the 6.5 is not a "converted" gas engine. It was conceived from the start as a diesel in 1982 and built by Detroit Diesel Division of GM. GM no longer builds it, but AM General does, and they have vastly improved it. General Engine Products, the AM General subsidiary who actually builds the engine, has the horsepower (stock) up to 250, from the original 195 for the turbo'd version. They call it the "Optimizer 6500" and it is available from AM General and from Kennedy Diesel, as a direct replacement for the 6.5 in your Chevy or GMC truck

Since the military HumVee still uses the engine, it will be available for some time to come; AM Gen. had to come up with more power, since the latest HumVees coming off the lines weigh a couple of thousand pounds more than they used to, with all the additional armor they now carry.

I have a '99 GMC dually with the 6.5 TD, and love it. It ain't no D-Max, Powerstroke, or Cummins, but it's a good reliable engine. 126K miles and I've only replaced the alternator and the water pump. When it bites the dust, I'll probably stick a crate version of the Optimizer in it.

Thanks for posting that so I don't have to. You do have some facts wrong though.

Detroit only designed the 6.2, but didn't build them, or the 6.5. The 6.5 is just a re-designed 6.2, thus a Detroit design.

The lowest rating was in the OBD-I electronic L56 engines, Simply said, '94 and '95 with "S" in the eighth spot of the VIN. They had a rating of 180 horses. And yes, they are turbo.

The electronic ('94+) trucks do have a slight problem with IP reliability, but that is easy to fix.

These trucks are 80% of the Duramax at 20% of the price, great vehicles.

So Cal 09-10-2007 06:29 PM

I agree with jatoracing, i will buy it if it is american made! What i think is hilarious is that my friends dad is wanting to buy a toyota (a good truck dont get me wrong) and makes fun of me wanting to lower my '94 chevy, (only want to lower it because it will look better bacause of the stepside, plus its cheaper) so in return i make fun of him wanting to buy a jap truck. then after that he didnt say much lol :D:)

R/Cpullerdude 09-10-2007 07:04 PM

What does being foreign have anything to do with GM vs. Dodge? That aside, I hate foreign companies. No matter where it's made, the money goes overseas.

khodges 09-10-2007 09:22 PM

These trucks are 80% of the Duramax at 20% of the price, great vehicles.
I like that; especially as I was at the local dealer today (Dale Earnhardt Chevrolet) and was out in the lot looking at the new trucks while mine was getting inspected. Man, is GM proud of those things. I saw one, a 2500 crew 4x4 with the D-Max and Allison 6-speed, and the sticker on it was 49K and a lot of change. My one-ton stickered for 38K in 1999 and was fully loaded, this new one had cloth and a short bed, single rear wheels. I told the salesman that I was glad mine was paid for, and that it was a lot prettier.

Have you seen the exhaust on the new trucks? You can stick your head in the pipe, almost. There is a weird gizmo at the end that is designed to pull cool air through it to cool the outflow enough that it doesn't burn the car next to you at the stop light. I don't follow the new trucks like I used to, so I haven't kept up with all the crap they're sticking on these engines to make them run clean and still make the power they rate them at. Plus, the new ones are UGLY, not just GM, but Ford and Dodge, too.

What I want in a truck is all that power, but without all the "wood grain" in the dash or carpet on the floor. I want a TRUCK, not a Cadillac that can haul 20,000 pounds. If I were to buy a new truck today, it would be a Dodge. A guy I work with got one, put the SuperChips, or some kind of power box in it, a straight pipe 5 inch exhaust and has the 6-speed manual tranny. This is the Quad Cab, mind you, and it will bark the tires (dually) in 4th gear, and makes about 45 pounds of boost (mine can manage about 14 with an opened up intake and a Banks exhaust). This and 18-22 mpg, mine gets 14 on a real good day.

I stand corrected on Detroit building the 6.5, and the 195hp I stated is what mine is rated at with max torque about 425. The Optimizer sounds like a breath of new life for these older trucks, though, don'tchathink?

Mr. Mugen 09-10-2007 09:24 PM

Hey I have one of the trucks with the engine in question. I have a 94 GMC 6.5L turbo diesel.

From what I understand it is a 400 block with diesel heads. I will take a pic tomorrow.