RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/off-topic-forum-cars-trucks-buggies-more-392/)
-   -   91 Honda crx build or what? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/off-topic-forum-cars-trucks-buggies-more-392/7025910-91-honda-crx-build-what.html)

quadzilla122 02-04-2008 11:13 PM

91 Honda crx build or what?

Well its been an extremely busy week with projects,some dude saying my item has arrived when it hasnt,battle of the bands at my school, superbowl,gym, etc and im using my car knowledge to help my best friend fix up/mod a honda crx he bought for $300 off another friend and whatever we are planning on making it go fast but also look good at the same time. We have been messing around with it canging fuses that were bad in the ECU and on saturday i opened the engine up finding the timing belt way out of timing and the valves not looking to good. We both had the idea that if the valves were bad then we were going to salvage the engine and get a racing one. We were going to paint it yellow and we still are but that will happen in time. The car is a 5 speed manual at the moment but that will change very soon. We are planning on Putting a 260-300hp engine into it which is alot for a 2000lb car. Here are some pictures what we did today(stripping motor). I will keep you posted and there might be random wait points.

My computer sais BMP files are not supported i will post pics tommow on my lappy.

-EXTRA- 02-04-2008 11:55 PM

RE: 91 Honda crx build or what?

ORIGINAL: quadzilla122

Well its been an extremely busy week with projects,some dude saying my item has arrived when it hasnt,battle of the bands at my school, superbowl,gym, etc and im using my car knowledge to help my best friend fix up/mod a honda crx he bought for $300 off another friend and whatever we are planning on making it go fast but also look good at the same time. We have been messing around with it canging fuses that were bad in the ECU and on saturday i opened the engine up finding the timing belt way out of timing and the valves not looking to good. We both had the idea that if the valves were bad then we were going to salvage the engine and get a racing one. We were going to paint it yellow and we still are but that will happen in time. The car is a 5 speed manual at the moment but that will change very soon. We are planning on Putting a 260-300hp engine into it which is alot for a 2000lb car. Here are some pictures what we did today(stripping motor). I will keep you posted and there might be random wait points.

My computer sais BMP files are not supported i will post pics tommow on my lappy.
the CRX is a very nice little street car..light and very quick..why are you changing the 5 speed on it? and a 300hp engine is plenty to get that thing moving drop a turbo in there and your set!and you have to change the BMP to i think its JEP files through paint or whereever. i wanna see pictures!

annie_himself 02-05-2008 12:15 AM

With 300HP in a CRX, the power to weight ratio will be great. I don't see a need for a turbo, thats just more money to spend, plus your going to have to richen the mixture which means more money to spend on gas at the pump. Are yall gonna paint it? What suspension upgrades are planned? Wheels?

-EXTRA- 02-05-2008 12:32 AM

ORIGINAL: annie_himself
I don't see a need for a turbo,
you might not but i do..when you stop at a redlight getting a challenge from the guy next to you.you dont want think (i think i can beat him) you wanna KNOW you can beat him ;)

Mr.Slave 02-05-2008 01:21 AM

streetracing is cool!

annie_himself 02-05-2008 01:56 AM

ORIGINAL: -EXTRA-

ORIGINAL: annie_himself
I don't see a need for a turbo,
you might not but i do..when you stop at a redlight getting a challenge from the guy next to you.you dont want think (i think i can beat him) you wanna KNOW you can beat him ;)
You race on the track. Street racing is for losers.

sheograth 02-05-2008 02:28 AM

Definitely. Its one thing to risk your life, but its another when you risk everyones.

The Hedgehog 02-05-2008 07:39 AM

No man guys have you seen fast n furious??? Street racing is for cool people!

On a serious note, you guys better be rich 1 years olds to do all that stuff, you probably need to swap the motor etc. and that costs $$$

zeen420 02-05-2008 09:07 AM

Ya, thats alot of work, you can't just plop a 300 horse engine in a car like that, you will have to reinforce the frame, larger brakes, all the werks.... or you can go the sissy way and just get all bolt on stuff:):):)

quadzilla122 02-05-2008 11:52 AM

I wont need a turbo because that involves keeping the stock motor which as of tomorow going to the junk yard or one of these days. When we buy the tranny it will be either a 5 or 6 speed because everyone knows more speeds equals better mileage and FASTER!

No i will not be street racing it i have many abandoned roadways that cars dont even go through cough cough;)Homestead miami speedways entrance road when there arent any events going on.

I will get pictures in like 7 hours when my sister comes back from work.( i had early release in my school at 11:30)

VIPER458 02-05-2008 12:01 PM

actually more gears dosent always equal more speen or better mileage. it could just mean the gears are a closer ratio makin you shift more frequently and thus makin you slower. it all depends on the ratios.

quadzilla122 02-05-2008 12:36 PM

What! I was told they make you go faster! Im going to find out now.[&:]

The Hedgehog 02-05-2008 12:42 PM

What! I was told they make you go faster! Im going to find out now.[&:]
Hmmm I think you need to do a llittle more research on cars, engines, powetrains etc... It seems to us you think you can just plop a 300 hp motor in there and call it a day.

Also if you don't understand gear ratios, I doubt installing a transmission will be feasable for you. A little learning and research goes a long way. I would hate if there was a part oon my car that I don't know how it works. That makes it easy for me to tear into my engine and fix anything I want.

300 HP from a honda 4 banger....without a turbo? Good luck with that

quadzilla122 02-05-2008 01:04 PM

I read all the diagrams and saw a couple of videos now. Autoxman please dont underestimate me,,im a quick learner. If i experience any problems i have many books and the internet to help me. I want to keep this a good clean thread so please i dont want anything to happen.

The Hedgehog 02-05-2008 01:12 PM

No prob, can you just explain to me how to get 300 hp out of a honda 4 cyl? Without spending thousands and without a power adder?

hands without shadows 02-05-2008 01:17 PM

quad - Aren't you like 15? There are some things you can't learn from books and you certainly won't get everything right if this is your first time taking on a project of this size. Why don't you get your dad or your friends dad into this and make it more of a father/son project? I don't want to see you blow 5 grand when the car breaks in half.

hands without shadows 02-05-2008 01:19 PM

ORIGINAL: AutoXMan

No prob, can you just explain to me how to get 300 hp out of a honda 4 cyl? Without spending thousands and without a power adder?
They are replacing the engine with "a racing one."

quadzilla122 02-05-2008 01:30 PM

I wont need a turbo because that involves keeping the stock motor which as of tomorow going to the junk yard or one of these days. When we buy the tranny it will be either a 5 or 6 speed because everyone knows more speeds equals better mileage and FASTER!

No i will not be street racing it i have many abandoned roadways that cars dont even go through cough cough;)Homestead miami speedways entrance road when there arent any events going on.

I will get pictures in like 7 hours when my sister comes back from work.( i had early release in my school at 11:30)
By this i meant i wont put a turbo on the stock motor the motor that i will buy will have a turbo(sorry if i confused you guys) but the motor im going to buy is going to have one. Once again im not keeping the stock motor because several signs of corrosion and the valves are extremely bad(the motor on ebay is $450 and the valves brand new by them selves are about $300+oem)thats is not including all the rest of the corroded parts like the tranny is really rough. I had to change about 3 fuses.

VIPER458 02-05-2008 01:34 PM

so youre buying an engine from ebay that suppposedly has 300hp for $450 with a turbo?

quadzilla122 02-05-2008 01:40 PM

I have no real budget(because he is buying all the stuff and me and him are going to install it). He is 17 and has lots of money from doing home inspections with his mom. Also his parents are divorced so he is living with his mom. He is the one that knows what brand is good,what place is cheaper to buy from and a little less about installing then me. We are using my dads tools which are mostly mac and craftman tools because my dad does everything at home except tire stuff(which is alot). I happen to have that crane for the motor because i have a 1972 chevy camaro ss in my garage that i plan to restore when im way older but that project will cost cost me about 12k+.

quadzilla122 02-05-2008 01:42 PM

ORIGINAL: VIPER458

so youre buying an engine from ebay that suppposedly has 300hp for $450 with a turbo?
(please tell me if i dont make sense,i have no problem) The stock motor is $450 of ebay not the motor that we are going to buy later on.

This is the motor im not going to buy: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA...em320212788337

VIPER458 02-05-2008 01:42 PM

oh. do you plan on building an engine or buyin one assembled?

The Hedgehog 02-05-2008 01:55 PM

Ummm that is a 1.3 litre engine?

quadzilla122 02-05-2008 02:04 PM

ORIGINAL: VIPER458

oh. do you plan on building an engine or buyin one assembled?
He is going to buy the block and the tranny seperate.

Anthoop 02-05-2008 02:06 PM

By this i meant i wont put a turbo on the stock motor the motor that i will buy will have a turbo(sorry if i confused you guys) but the motor im going to buy is going to have one. Once again im not keeping the stock motor because several signs of corrosion and the valves are extremely bad(the motor on ebay is $450 and the valves brand new by them selves are about $300+oem)thats is not including all the rest of the corroded parts like the tranny is really rough. I had to change about 3 fuses.
Hmm not sure about this thread Quadzilla..!?
Anyhoo..When you say the original motor is corroded and the valves are 'bad', what exactly do you mean? The block and head is alloy so i presume your referring to the internals....has it not been ran for some time??? Oh and you say "corroded parts like the tranny is really rough", what the gears or synchro rings or selector shafts or bearings??
What engine are you thinking of 'dropping' in there? Are you converting to rear drive? I see you mention a six speed box, you know you can't just fit any old box on any old engine?
Also i hope you understand that fitting a non-standard engine into any car is a major task involving modification and fabrication of parts/electrics...it's not simple! Not forgetting all the other alterations you'll need to make if your increasing the power by well over 100%![&:]