RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/off-topic-forum-cars-trucks-buggies-more-392/)
-   -   Airsoft gun battery connecter question (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/off-topic-forum-cars-trucks-buggies-more-392/8564642-airsoft-gun-battery-connecter-question.html)

Sorimatsu 03-10-2009 07:41 PM

Airsoft gun battery connecter question

hey i know this has nothing to do with r/c but does anyone have experiance with AEG's and if they do, can you tell me if switching to a traxxas connecter (since almost all my batteries have traxxas connecters) from a tamiya connecter is a good idea, or will all the extra power ruin the gun's internals?

DarkFire989 03-10-2009 07:50 PM

RE: Airsoft gun battery connecter question

It should be fine, I doubt it would up the power too much. More voltage will increase rate off fire. But I doubt changing the conector will make a huge difference, go for it!

MadManAndrew 03-10-2009 07:59 PM

^+1

DaveG55 03-10-2009 08:54 PM

I seriously doubt that those guns draw enough current to warrant a low loss plug like the Traxxas plugs. If they are not overdrawing using the stock connector then they probably won't make any difference at all to the performance of the gun.
If switching makes it easier for you, and the new connectors will fit the existing space, go for it.

Besides, this statement kind of indicates that you may have the wrong idea about electricity and connectors.

"or will all the extra power ruin the gun's internals?"

A connector cannot give extra power to a device, it only allows the current there to pass through - up to the capacity of the connector. If the existing connector is allowing enough current to pass for it's needs then changing to a low loss connector will not automatically give any extra power. You will only have increased power to the gun if the existing connector is limiting the gun from drawing what it needs. But even if that happens, it's unlikely that the gun wil draw enough more to hurt anything.

Sorimatsu 03-10-2009 08:59 PM

o ok, i thought the extra current meant more power... still new to this stuff lol, but thanks for the information and the imput, i think ill switch so i can use all my packs for both my slash and my gun[>:]

DaveG55 03-10-2009 09:35 PM

More current does mean more power. But it's not the connector that supplies the power. The connector only connects the battery wiring to the gun/car wiring. If the connector has some internal resistance then that can limit the power it allows to pass. If enough power is being drawn then you may see a drop in voltage across the connector. But if the device (gun/car) does not draw enough for the loss at the connector to matter then changing to a lower loss connector won't change anything.
You want a low loss connector on RC's because they do draw a lot of current and a connector with a higher internal resistance can cause voltage drops and will affect performance. Think of it like this, a higher loss connector is like twisting wires togeather where a low loss conncetor is like soldering wires togeather. It doesn't add anything, just makes a better connection for what's there to pass through.