RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/off-topic-forum-cars-trucks-buggies-more-392/)
-   -   Which sub system for my car? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/off-topic-forum-cars-trucks-buggies-more-392/9849289-sub-system-my-car.html)

DS 07-07-2010 01:01 AM

Which sub system for my car?

Hey guys I don't know to much about subwoofers and systems. But I would like 2 know out of the 2 which hits harder and is better for the money? Please don't hate or bash just awnser my question of suggest a better combo for the same price! Thanks

http://www.dealercostcaraudio.com/rtp212.aspx

http://www.techronics.com/caraudio_1...html?aff=72182

ThunderbirdJunkie 07-07-2010 01:03 AM

RE: Which sub system for my car?

Neither one, if you haven't upgraded your mids and highs.

Two 12s is overkill

DS 07-07-2010 01:41 AM

well can you suggest something then? Why aren't they good?

ThunderbirdJunkie 07-07-2010 02:56 AM

Yes.
Upgrading your mids/highs and installing a single 12" or 10" subwoofer with a 5ch amp.

2 12s is going to do nothing but muddy your sound, and you still won't get any quality from the rest of the speakers.

justavillain 07-07-2010 09:02 AM

I agree with the 2 12's deal. I had them and just went down to a single 10. But I listen to 80's rock music. Ialso agree with changing your car's speakers that it already has that will help a lot added with a new head unit. That will give you the best bang for your buck.

when I had 2 12's I had to turn off the subs all the time to hear some stuff on the radio. It was quite annoying. I might go back to a single 12 but for now the single 10 is just fine.

DaveG55 07-07-2010 09:50 AM

You haven't said what vehicle they are going in or what your current system is so no one will really be able to help much.

But as others have said two 12's are way overkill. If you have not upgraded the other speakers yet then that will give you a greater improvement than a sub. Then an amp (or 2) for those speakers. Then a sub and amp. And a nice headunit thrown in there along the way will help alot as well.

proanti1 07-07-2010 11:02 AM

What sound are you looking for? I have a single Rockford 10 in a bandpass box pushed by an infinity kappa 500watt 4 channel bridged amp. It sounds great. I used to have a pair of infinity 12's in a ported box when I was in high school, pushed by a pair of 1000 watt mono Sony amps behind a pair of caps... it also sounded awesome, you could hear it from a mile away.

He doesn't sound like he wants quality... he wants so much bass his ears bleed right? MTX is good for that... I would spend the extra cash on a quality 4 channel 1000 watt amp you can bridge. Find an audio shop near by, those guys will know exactly what you want.

jd31 07-07-2010 11:15 AM

what type of car is it going in?
two 12's will NOT be an overkill if you drive an escalade but will be if like me you got a little bimmer
when i replace my speakers/subs im going with a kenwood system with a single 12

DS 07-07-2010 12:52 PM

ORIGINAL: jd31

two 12's will NOT be an overkill if you drive an escalade but will be if like me you got a little bimmer
I listen to bassy music I love the beats. But I still wanna hear my music but heard on the outside 2. Um it's going in a 89 civic dx hatch

DS 07-07-2010 01:13 PM

ORIGINAL: Dstaks716

I listen to bassy music I love the beats. But I still wanna hear my music but heard on the outside 2. Um it's going in a 89 civic dx hatch
would this hit harder and be better qaulity?
http://order.store.yahoo.net/cgi-bin...log=millionbuy

HJJFFFAA 07-07-2010 02:24 PM

But I still wanna hear my music but heard on the outside 2.
Why? No one else but you wants to hear the song you're playing.

Krazy Chicken 07-07-2010 02:38 PM

just put your windows down, then you can hear it outside. their is really no reason you need to be able to hear your music outside your car, you sit inside it...

ThunderbirdJunkie 07-07-2010 03:13 PM

Ah, wonderful.

Another kid that thinks everybody ELSE wants to hear what he's listening to.

Here's a tip:
Nobody wants to hear ThunderbirdJunkie rocking out to Queen.
Nobody wants to hear YOU listening to NAS or TI or whatever, either.

jd31 07-07-2010 04:00 PM

then you want a single 10, and i know what you mean, when i got my first car (a bmw 1990 318i) i wanted the whole world to see and hear me (and i still do)

DS 07-07-2010 06:08 PM

Don't gotta hate I just want the beats to be loud/shake lol..I don't care about the lyrics. Just that kind of person.... but typical americans always hating on people for their diff. style. If you thinks its annoying oh well your not in BLO so you shouldn't care[>:]. Im not blasting lyrics..I just want my car to rumble.:D

Krazy Chicken 07-07-2010 06:27 PM

were you born in NY? and it isn't the learics, it is the beat that most complain about, especally when you pull up to a light, and your "beat" is so ****ing loud that the other person cant hear their own music. or when people like you go through neighborhoods with the "beat" so loud that people can here it in their own house

Don't gotta hate I just want the beats to be loud/shake lol..I don't care about the lyrics. Just that kind of person.... but typical americans always hating on people for their diff. style. If you thinks its annoying oh well your not in BLO so you shouldn't care[>:]. Im not blasting lyrics..I just want my car to rumble.:D

ThunderbirdJunkie 07-07-2010 09:27 PM

Sure smells like Teen Spirit in here.

Son, do you know what ThunderbirdJunkie does when a kid with a cheap pair of 12s comes up next to him in some 20 year old car at a red light?

He cranks up Sammy Hagar, and makes YOUR car shake to HIS bass of his ONE Alpine Type R 10 being fed by 500 watts.

Typical 16 year old that will get the back window knocked out of his 20 year old hatchback and have the only part of the car with any street value stolen. But hey, us older folks just DON NO WASS GUD right?

mechanizeddeath 07-07-2010 10:35 PM

This is my usual suggestion:

First, replace your FRONT speakers with something. I'm not a brand snob, just about any quality brand will be better than stock, especially if your car is older.

Second, if you have back seat passengers, you may want to consider upgrading the rears, but in many cases you'll get cleaner sound using just the fronts. You can disconnect the rears or fade 100% to front. Up to you.

Third, once you've gotten better speakers, you should look at replacing the head unit. Yes, the stock one is often fine up until this point. The speakers really make most of the difference.

And now that you've got a head unit with at least rear subwoofer preouts, it is time to look at a sub. Personally, I suggest a high quality 10" or 12" subwoofer. Yes, dual subs looks cool and will rattle the mirrors of nearby vehicles, but it really is overkill. Not to mention the total loss of trunk space, some smaller vehicles won't have enough room for an umbrella.

Again, not a brand snob... Currently running a very old Pioneer 12" sub and amp, but Alpine, Kenwood, and Clarion are all other brands I've had good luck with... Can't speak for anything else personally though. Stay away from the Wal-Mart brands and you should be fine.

jd31 07-07-2010 10:45 PM

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

Sure smells like Teen Spirit in here.

Son, do you know what ThunderbirdJunkie does when a kid with a cheap pair of 12s comes up next to him in some 20 year old car at a red light?

He cranks up Sammy Hagar, and makes YOUR car shake to HIS bass of his ONE Alpine Type R 10 being fed by 500 watts.

Typical 16 year old that will get the back window knocked out of his 20 year old hatchback and have the only part of the car with any street value stolen. But hey, us older folks just DON NO WASS GUD right?
nothin wrong with a little teen spirit, he does have a point though cars with stereo systems get broken into a lot more than stock ones, infact thats how i lost my bimmer back in 94:( i would go to a audio store, here in CO we have drive in auto sound and ask them to look at the civic and they will tell you if its worth it (value of car vs cost to upgrade) also the linked ones are something i wouldnt put in any car, they just dont cut it

mechanizeddeath 07-07-2010 11:02 PM

Personally, I don't know of anyone who has gotten their stereo stolen in the past 5 years.

I figure it's the prices, the stuff used to be so much more expensive in the 80s and 90s, it was worth the risk to steal. They would even steal stock stereos out of high end cars because the resale on those could be pretty high too. I don't claim to understand thieves, but when you can pick up a brand new aftermarket stereo today for next to nothing, maybe it doesn't seem worth the jail time or the shotgun blast to steal a stereo and only get $25 for it from your friend Hidalgo.

Regardless, don't be an idiot and put a giant sticker on your back window, advertising what's in your trunk. When I was in high school, some dumb kid had his stuff jacked half a dozen times because of the giant ECLIPSE sticker on the back of his, you guessed it, Eclipse. :eek:

cika 07-08-2010 01:21 AM

I wouls agree that 2 x 12 with atleast 200w continous wattage is way too much. Unless you want the people up the street hearing your trunk rattle over your stereo. Replace your fronts with a decent set of amplified 2 ways and one nice 10in sub. Get you a 3 channel amp and you'll be set. One of the best sounding stereos Ive ever heard was high end Boston 2 ways 4" coxails in the dash and 2, 10" Phenix Gold Saphires in the back with a mid grade Phenix gold amp pushin about 250 clean continious watts(100 to the fronts and 150 to the subs) and . LOUD and VERY clean sounding with a decent head unit.    
&lt;script&gt;</script&gt;

DS 07-08-2010 01:30 AM

ORIGINAL: mechanizeddeath

Personally, I don't know of anyone who has gotten their stereo stolen in the past 5 years.

I figure it's the prices, the stuff used to be so much more expensive in the 80s and 90s, it was worth the risk to steal. They would even steal stock stereos out of high end cars because the resale on those could be pretty high too. I don't claim to understand thieves, but when you can pick up a brand new aftermarket stereo today for next to nothing, maybe it doesn't seem worth the jail time or the shotgun blast to steal a stereo and only get $25 for it from your friend Hidalgo.

Regardless, don't be an idiot and put a giant sticker on your back window, advertising what's in your trunk. When I was in high school, some dumb kid had his stuff jacked half a dozen times because of the giant ECLIPSE sticker on the back of his, you guessed it, Eclipse. :eek:
Haha yea I got you! Be smart ik. I guess were not allowed to be teens anymore:eek: Thanks for all who didn't bash or flame me;) And not everyone hates the sound and if i pull up next to him im not gonna blast it outrageously. Its 1 min of there god damn self revolving life..people can do what they want even if you hate it oh well its not gonna stop me from enjoying myself and my car:eek:[>:] It works quite the same when your driving your 1/8 nitro buggy/truggy in the backyard and your neighbours/people hate it anyway :D Live a little;)

DS 07-08-2010 01:44 AM

ORIGINAL: Stampede Killer

were you born in NY? and it isn't the learics, it is the beat that most complain about, especally when you pull up to a light, and your ''beat'' is so ****ing loud that the other person cant hear their own music. or when people like you go through neighborhoods with the ''beat'' so loud that people can here it in their own house

No not born in NY why?

HJJFFFAA 07-08-2010 01:54 AM

Haha yea I got you! Be smart ik. I guess were not allowed to be teens anymore:eek: Thanks for all who didn't bash or flame me;) And not everyone hates the sound and if i pull up next to him im not gonna blast it outrageously. Its 1 min of there god damn self revolving life..people can do what they want even if you hate it oh well its not gonna stop me from enjoying myself and my car:eek:[>:] It works quite the same when your driving your 1/8 nitro buggy/truggy in the backyard and your neighbours/people hate it anyway :D Live a little;)
But there is no reason to have it loud enough so people can hear it OUTSIDE of your car. Other than damaging your hearing.

ThunderbirdJunkie 07-08-2010 02:49 AM

Nevermind.