Notices
Off Topic Forum - Planes/Helis Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for airplanes and heli crowd. Car or truck fans have their own in car section.

Private nitro/gas/turbine airfield

Old 10-29-2010, 09:58 PM
henschel
My Feedback: (47)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Private nitro/gas/turbine airfield

How would that be? Private on personal property, non AMA sanctioned airfield that only allows nitro/gas/turbine/df airplanes. Tired of talking to all the Hobby shop people saying their sales go to overseas electric planes. Hobby shop people I know and I know a lot are tired of sales going down the drain to the so called airplane wannabes to the real hobbyists. Guys that came up through the ranks building kits,nitro,gas,df,turbines. Old school. Guys if we don't keep the old school going where you going to be? Use to be individuals showed up with knock your socks off scratch built/kit built I did it I built it kind of plane. Now you have what? Same stuff. Me,I want to open up a non sanctioned non AMA open to ONLY nitro,gas,df,kits,scratch built flying field in North Dallas. Own own property so AMA and pissed non types can say anything. Be owned by me open only to above people. In Texas we can do this kind of thing. Input on old school guys that are like me. If RCU deletes this ad then you know RCU only promotes their electric advertisers. Period. This is supposed to be open topics. If they delete this ad they are saying they only endorse manufactures that sell electric planes and not what us older guys build or use to build. Stand up and say yes we want what I propose.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:48 PM
AH1G

Default RE: Private nitro/gas/turbine airfield

I know what you mean... I took approx 24,000 sq ft (30'x800') out of alfalfa production to build my own field. I planted it with golf green turf last spring for a smooth surface and it should be ready to use next summer.
Alfalfa here is does not bring in the bucks anymore, so I might as well have my own field. The nearest RC field is 160 or so miles from me.
I'm far enough from my neighbors so I can run anything I want.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:06 AM
da Rock

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: henschel

How would that be? Private on personal property, non AMA sanctioned airfield that only allows nitro/gas/turbine/df airplanes. Tired of talking to all the Hobby shop people saying their sales go to overseas electric planes. Hobby shop people I know and I know a lot are tired of sales going down the drain to the so called airplane wannabes to the real hobbyists. Guys that came up through the ranks building kits,nitro,gas,df,turbines. Old school. Guys if we don't keep the old school going where you going to be? Use to be individuals showed up with knock your socks off scratch built/kit built I did it I built it kind of plane. Now you have what? Same stuff. Me,I want to open up a non sanctioned non AMA open to ONLY nitro,gas,df,kits,scratch built flying field in North Dallas. Own own property so AMA and pissed non types can say anything. Be owned by me open only to above people. In Texas we can do this kind of thing. Input on old school guys that are like me. If RCU deletes this ad then you know RCU only promotes their electric advertisers. Period. This is supposed to be open topics. If they delete this ad they are saying they only endorse manufactures that sell electric planes and not what us older guys build or use to build. Stand up and say yes we want what I propose.

Actually, this forum is about Warbirds.

And RCU has a forum about AMA.

And deleting this "advertisement" would be in keeping with RCU's policy about advertising in the forums, and wouldn't say anything about endorsing anything.

But I stand up and say yes...... yes, this thread is moving to our open topics forum. I'd put it in the AMA or scratch build or a specific one if I could figure out which is your topic.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:05 AM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

I don't quite get his point either. If he wants to, he can have his own field and only allow one eyed, red-headed, hump backed midgets to fly there. I'm sure there are only a few of those in North Dallas. [:-]
Who cares?
Old 10-30-2010, 04:51 PM
MaxAdventure
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: henschel

How would that be? Private on personal property, non AMA sanctioned airfield that only allows nitro/gas/turbine/df airplanes...... I know a lot are tired of sales going down the drain to the so called airplane wannabes to the real hobbyists. Guys that came up through the ranks building kits,nitro,gas,df,turbines. Old school. Guys if we don't keep the old school going where you going to be? Use to be individuals showed up with knock your socks off scratch built/kit built I did it I built it kind of plane.

What are your requirements for me to be considered 'old school' and allowed to join you? Is there an age or years in the hobby limit? What aspect of R/C do you consider the hobby? Would you allow things the AMA is right against, say actual rockets on my Hawker Tempest?
Old 12-07-2010, 11:44 PM
91zulu
My Feedback: (2)

I think he is tired of the fields that only allow electric flying. He is a gas head like most of us and want to be able to fly his gas or glo stuff with out people hassling him about noise or telling him he can`t fly gas or glo at the field. So I think he wants to open up his own field where only gas planes are allowed, no quiet electrics. His thinking is going back to old school scratch building, kit built glo and gas burning all out thunder and fun. You know like the good old days when 100 dbs was the norm.
I use to live in Dallas and flew at Warren field up north that was all farm land. This was in 1990-93. Went back to Dallas last December where I use to fly is now a huge mall and houses, no more farms. Also use to go to North Lake, had a club there and in Mesquite home of A1 hobbies Mr Mickey. Guy could have flown a rock if you put wings on it. Ahhh those were the good old days.
If I go back to Texas I would love to visit.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:41 PM
acdii

Received 95 Likes on 86 Posts

I tend to agree with the OP.  Flying fields used to be a place where you could go and fly your homebuilt scrapper and enjoy it. Now they have all the noise abatement rules and such that you need 10 pound mufflers to fly a 5 pound plane.  Having a set of rules for safety is one thing, but now if you exceed a noise threshold, you just cant do very much anymore. Electric can only go so fast, and fly so far, and can only be so big, so those of us into large scale planes, no longer have a place to fly them.  If I had the money to buy up a few acres of land across the road from me, I would setup a flying field for those of us who like the big planes, and the noise.  Imagine trying to find mufflers to quiet down a 9 cyl radial engine, and imagine 4 of those rolling out in a B17.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:58 AM
91zulu

Now you want to cause an earth quake... I like your thinking..
Old 07-23-2011, 10:23 PM
slickporsche

I agree. Not too long ago it was possible to find groups flying in different locations, and a country airports where there was hardly any full size traffic. There were lots of kits and plans available,and most never thought about buying a BARF. You can hardly call it a hobby anymore with all the toy Barfs around. You show up at a field with a built up, and they say "nice Barf, where did you buy it. Then when you explain it is not an Barf, they get mad and say you are lieing and no one can build an airplane that good. Then to top it all off they cannot fly worth a damn. I would not comment on what I think of the AMA, but it would not be good, and would start a war, so I will refrain.
ORIGINAL: acdii

I tend to agree with the OP. Flying fields used to be a place where you could go and fly your homebuilt scrapper and enjoy it. Now they have all the noise abatement rules and such that you need 10 pound mufflers to fly a 5 pound plane. Having a set of rules for safety is one thing, but now if you exceed a noise threshold, you just cant do very much anymore. Electric can only go so fast, and fly so far, and can only be so big, so those of us into large scale planes, no longer have a place to fly them. If I had the money to buy up a few acres of land across the road from me, I would setup a flying field for those of us who like the big planes, and the noise. Imagine trying to find mufflers to quiet down a 9 cyl radial engine, and imagine 4 of those rolling out in a B17.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:35 AM
acdii

Received 95 Likes on 86 Posts

ORIGINAL: slickporsche

I would not comment on what I think of the AMA,
+1

Old 07-24-2011, 05:29 PM
91zulu

Wow I thought I was the only one that not too found of them. Got soured from since they run out SFA. They just did not like having any competition and force us only one choice for insurance. Sucks big time.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:55 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 248 Likes on 200 Posts

Some minor distinctions but important points..
The AMA doesn't sanction fields, they sanction clubs.

Your insurance is good wherever you fly as long as you operate within the safety code.

You certainly have the choice to fly on private property, many do. But joining the AMA is helping suppor the orgaization that has been the lead in been working tirelessly for a couple years now, to keep us from being regulated by the FAA. By "us" I mean ALL of us that fly, AMA members and non-members alike.